• jb_86

★★★ Rewatched by jb_86 14 Apr, 2015

"A journey through the films of Martin Scorsese" - 2015 Edition

Pt. 12: Cape Fear

Part of the deal to get "Last Temptation of Christ" financed. So I guess we'll just have to take this film as a necessity that gave us a true masterpiece. Luckily, "Cape Fear" isn't that bad either. It's a much more commercial film but Scorsese turns it into a little exercise in style, starting with the wonderfully odd title sequence. As a surreal mashup of…

• Jameson Berthiaume

★★★½ Watched by Jameson Berthiaume 14 Apr, 2015

This movie is a great reminder of why De Niro is an all-time great. Besides Pacino, De Niro is the only actor who will always make his counterparts seem inferior. In this movie he demands and commands your attention just like Max Cady does the Bowdens. Putting him aside the movie has great tension throughout, plenty of creepy moments, and raw violence powered by hard emotions.

• Parker

★★★ Watched by Parker 14 Apr, 2015

Would be better if someone edited Sideshow Bob into the shitty ending.

• Joel Edwards

★★★½ Watched by Joel Edwards 08 Apr, 2015

Edwards does Scorsese, part 13

I haven't seen the original film, so I can't compare the two. I get the same feeling from this as I did from The Color of Money; it feels mainly like pure technical exercise from Scorsese without any real personal touch. So in that way, it's a big success. De Niro is hilariously good here, although the movie did get a bit silly once I realized that his character is basically an unkillable superhuman. The…

• John Winters

★★★½ Rewatched by John Winters 03 Apr, 2015

Pretty terrifying performance from Robert De Niro. You see glimpses of this side of him in his earlier works - 'Taxi Driver' or 'GoodFellas' - but it's on full display here. Martin Scorsese's direction here is brilliantly suspenseful and violent, and an excellent game of cat and mouse. I do prefer a lot of Scorsese's other work, but I also really appreciate 'Cape Fear'.

• Phips

★★ Rewatched by Phips 29 Mar, 2015 2

Installment in my Actor Arc Challenge

The inherent purpose of my Actor Arc Challenge was to get me watch films that I haven't seen and probably wouldn't see without being "forced". However, in a few cases, this has sort of backfired as I've had to suffer through a few watches and rewatches that I really did want to sit through in order to move on to the next assigned film. Cape Fear was one of those situations. I didn't really…

• Dave Bastian

★★½ Added by Dave Bastian

Gory, high-strung remake of the 1962 Peck/Mitchum thriller is interesting for Scorsese’s in-your-face direction—but it’s an unpleasant film populated by unlikable people. Worth a look—and the use of Bernard Herrmann’s original score was inspired—but the earlier version, for all its faults, was a better film. De Niro, covered with tattoos and acting up a storm, is never quite believable.

• David Gutierrez

★★ Added by David Gutierrez

Contrary to what many people say, I didn't find Cape Fear thrilling or dark at all, but just plain boring.

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

Great direction from Scorsese and an excellent performance from DeNiro.

• Emily

★½ Watched by Emily 10 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I don't understand why it was necessary to remake this as so explicit with regards to sexual violence/misogyny, it was almost un-watchable in comparison to the earlier version which wasn't as vulgar. The choice to make the scene between Cady and the daughter a "seduction" was particularly off-putting.

I really only liked the style of the film and Jessica Lange.

• Paul Bruce

★★ Added by Paul Bruce 3

This was very unpleasant.

• David Howland

★★★ Watched by David Howland 28 Feb, 2015

Thriller for Scorsese with soap opera-levels of melodrama. Juliette Lewis does a good job in an early role, scenes with her and De Niro are when it's at its strongest. Hasn't dated particularly well and impossible to watch without recalling the infamous Simpsons parody.