• Mathew Buck

★★★★ Watched by Mathew Buck 28 Aug, 2015 1

Robert De Niro is absolutely chilling as the fanatical rapist who terrorizes Nick Nolte's not-so-perfect family life in Martin Scorsese's jolting remake of the 60s thriller (original leads Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck are also granted small cameos). De Niro is at his most charismatic as the sexual predator who lurks on sidelines waiting to extol biblical justice, and I enjoyed how Nolte's lawyer finds his ethics being corrupted more and more as he tries to protect his family, even…

• orbit4l

★★★★ Watched by orbit4l 14 Mar, 1992

In the hands of a master director remakes actually do work.

• nagoya

★★★★½ Added by nagoya

amazing remake

• Grooveman

★★★★★ Rewatched by Grooveman 21 Aug, 2015

"Counselor! Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

• jcase95

★★★★ Watched by jcase95 21 Aug, 2015

Another very successful film from Scorsese and De Niro. Cape Fear is different from their normal fare though. The closest Scorsese has come to doing something like this since has been Shutter Island. This is a real shame because this is really a great thriller. From the very beginning, I thought of Brian De Palma. In almost every sequence, there is a trace of De Palma somewhere to be found. Given that Scorsese and De Palma are both from the…

• Christian

★★★★ Added by Christian

With Scorsese as one of my favorite director I really liked this one.
    De Niro i briliant - maybe his best role ever(?)

• Fer♥ Silva

★★ Watched by Fer♥ Silva 13 Aug, 2015

tThere's something about Scorsese and De Niro that I'm not quite sure I like.

• Dan Bremner

★★★★½ Watched by Dan Bremner 11 Aug, 2015 2

Film 351 of my 2015 500 Film Challenge

Loved it. DeNiro's performance was beautiful, crazy and unhinged, but never goes over the top.

The only thing that kept this from a 5 star rating was the episode of The Simpsons that parodies this. After seeing that episode so often and this for a first time, I was amazed at just how faithful the spoof was, even the music was the same.

• Pedro White

★★★½ Watched by Pedro White 09 Aug, 2015

Not my favourite movie from Scorsese, but that's a good movie for sure

• James

★★★★ Watched by James 06 Aug, 2015

I'd always thought that most of Cape Fear took place on the houseboat, but it really doesn't until the last fifteen minutes, so that kind of screwed the pacing up a little for me because I kept wondering "when are they going to get on the houseboat?" I haven't seen the original either, so by itself, I can definitely say I really like this movie. The directing style ranges from great (like the shot of Cady in front of the…

• Ruhi

★★★ Added by Ruhi

De Niro and Nick Nolte were excellent in this otherwise slow burner that really took a while for me to care about. 3 stars.

• Evan Cogswell

★★½ Watched by Evan Cogswell 31 Jul, 2015

My biggest take away from this is that I really need to see the original now. I'm not sure what Scorsese was trying to achieve with his remake. Parts work - mostly the middle - but the cutting to the negative of shots was more distracting than anything else, and while De Niro was creepy enough to make up for his scenery chewing, he goes so over the top by the film's end it becomes difficult to take the horror seriously.