• madison

★★★★

im always so uncomfortable seeing muscley robert de niro tbh

• Garrett Smith

★★½

Anyone who thinks Wolf of Wall Street was Scorsese's most self indulgent film, needs to watch Cape Fear to see what cinematic masturbation really looks like.

• Truman Segal

★★★★½

Jesus christ that climax was really something.

Robert De Niro should've beat Hopkins for the Oscar.

Super thrilling, wouldn't call it "fun," but I was totally engrossed in this twisted revenge tale.

And Nick Nolte! That man can act when he wants to.

Cape Fear's pretty much just pure scattershot, unhinged, experimental style on Marty's behalf, but for me it really worked and I dug it.

• Brendan Hickey

★★★★

A little slow and silly, but chalk full of excellent performances and notable craftsmanship. Standouts being the editing and kickass Saul Bass opening credits.

• Kyle Gustafson

★★★★★

Understandably overshadowed by other De Niro/Scorsese collaborations, but it's a near perfect thriller.

• jseku

★★★★

Good

View

• Jon Waldman

★★★½

Deniro is really slimy and prettt great as the villain. I liked the strange heightened feeling of the early parts of the film. Really liked his dedication to being a dick. The movie theater scene being a good gag of sorts. Scorsese might have stretched the movie out just a tad to long, the climax seems just a bit sillier than the earlier parts of the film. But as far as thrillers go, this side of Depalma this is  easily…

• Jorge Pardo

★★★½

De Niro da tanto miedo como el abogado que prejuzga e infringe la ley para sacar beneficio de algo. Al final, sin justicia, sólo queda el duelo a garrotazos que tan bien representó Goya a principios del XIX.

• Bob Hovey

★★★★

I've got a sentimental attachment to the original, having been repeatedly terrified by it as a child, but I have to admit this Scorsese remake works pretty well. It's certainly more graphic, but I'm not certain whether or not it's more accomplishes more by spelling out things the earlier film leaves up to the imagination.

Both casts are great, but unique in their own way. Lange seems a stronger presence than Polly Bergen, and while Nick Nolte might fall short…

• Carter A

★★★★

robert de niro's sexiest role yet

• Brad Power

★★★½

Good

View

• okcordero

100 Degrees/100 Movies

This was wild, even for Scorsese. It's his first mainstream thriller and it combines all of his sensibilities/his penchant for dramatic camera movements and editing with the genre-specific techniques of someone like Hitchcock - he even borrows Saul Bass and Bernard Herrman. The result is a totally bonkers thriller that gets a little WHOOA towards the end, but is still super entertaining. Loved the performances, including Juliette Lewis, Robert Mitchum, and especially De Niro who's like nothing…