• ZackKrenn

★★★★½ Watched by ZackKrenn 27 Jun, 2016

Pretty badass work by Scorsese. Not as potent or thematically rich as Taxi Driver, sure, but ferociously disturbing and somehow entertaining. A fascinating A level dive into B movie tropes that scares us the entire time.

• Dylan

★★★ Watched by Dylan 27 Jun, 2016

Yeah not a Scorsese fan lol

• Cesar Cordova

★★★★ Rewatched by Cesar Cordova 25 Jun, 2016

This movie is actually really silly in a lot of instances, I don't remember laughing as much as I did the first time around. De Niro has a real knack for speaking in tongues. The maid gag is easily one of my favorite in a film ever.

• Tristiac

★★★½ Rewatched by Tristiac 25 Jun, 2016

I'm not a huge fan of the Scorcese films in which he conspicuously and loudly apes Hitchcock (see also Shutter Island); De Palma is much better at it since he actually comments on Hitchcock's techniques instead of just using them as window dressing.
    Still, De Niro, taking his cues from Robert Mitchum, is pretty great and fun to watch. Plus this movie led to a classic Simpsons episode which makes it essential in my book.

• Jennifer

★★½ Watched by Jennifer 24 Jun, 2016

How dare you accuse me of things I clearly did!: The Movie

Seriously, that's how much of Cape Fear can be summed up. I was surprised to find this quite tedious. There's no mystery. The villain is overt. I didn't like how the teenage daughter's thoughts are used as a framing device (I rarely like narration). I don't think Scorsese's experimentation here worked in the movie's favor.

This should be used as a PSA about the dangers of being a lawyer with a conscience.

• Lawson Wohlfarth

★★★★ Watched by Lawson Wohlfarth 25 Jun, 2016

When I first started watching this movie I wanted to turn it off within the first 25 minutes. I saw where it was going and I thought I knew the ending and it wouldn't be entertaining. Now I was right about the ending but so very wrong about it not being entertaining.

The best part about the film is De Niro. Which makes me sad because judging by the movies he makes now it feels like hes not even trying.…

• Alex J

★★★★ Watched by Alex J 24 Jun, 2016

"BART YOU WANNA SEE MY NEW CHAINSAW AND HOCKEY MASK"

• ThomasRosil

★★★★½ Watched by ThomasRosil 24 Jun, 2016

If there are truly people like Max Cady in the world, then we're all screwed.

• Cory

★★★★ Watched by Cory 23 Jun, 2016

Certainly not Scorsese's best, but pretty damn good!  Robert De Niro is an absolute maniac!

• Matthew Vallée

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Vallée 12 May, 2016

It’s hard to believe Martin Scorsese directed this considering how much it resembled a cheesy slasher film. The movie is quite entertaining but it takes things a little over the top at times to the point of being silly. The menacing soundtrack goes a long way to conveying how much danger these characters are in but it too was exaggerated to an almost comical effect. The story was a good one though. It wasn’t scary but had some good thrills…

• Brett the Wiese

★★½ Watched by Brett the Wiese 14 Jun, 2016

Wow.

That was an incredibly pointless remake from one of the more important directors of the last century.

Damn, Marty. You're losing me.

• Sean Watkins

★★★★ Added by Sean Watkins

Considered one of Scorsese's lesser films along with Shutter Island and Hugo but I've always really enjoyed Cape Fear. The direction, soundtrack, acting and art direction are all over the top but it still really works for me as far as a fun, trashy thriller goes. Lewis, Lange and DeNiro all do a fantastic job with the script and it goes places most other movies involving a character who is supposed to be underage would be afraid to. Not the most acclaimed movie from Scorsese's legendary career but still worth a watch for movie fans looking for a good time.