• Martijn OMG

★★★★ Rewatched by Martijn OMG 04 Feb, 2016

I love De Niro in this. But the movie wasn't as tense as I remembered. The strange camera zooms were a bit distracting in it. And some of the added backgrounds do not hold up at all. Still a great film though.

• Goremaster

★★★★★ Added by Goremaster

Great thriller with an amazing cast, especially Robert de Niro. He was unlucky that Cape Fear was released in the same year as Silence of the Lambs. Although De Niro delivered a great performance as Max Cady, Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter was outstanding. Hopkins deservedly won the Oscar.

Thankfully Spielberg left the director's chair to Scorsese or Cape Fear would not have half the violence that the film has. The climax in the boat is frightful and the scene where Max Cady seduces Juliette Lewis in the school's theater is anthological.

• Matt

★★★½ Watched by Matt 01 Feb, 2016

A solid and entertaining film by Scorsese. Robert De Niro is no doubt the best part of this film. He's scary good, he's terrifying. His character is so unpredictable, theirs such a great scene in this film where a bunch of thugs try roughing him up and it clearly does not go down that way. De Niro plays such a great villain. The rest of the acting is pretty solid also, especially from Juliette Lewis. One of my favorite scenes…

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★ Rewatched by Njabs Phungula 31 Jan, 2016

The supervillain-ness of De Niro's Max Cady throws me off a bit and there are few other issues I have with it but otherwise it's a solid movie. I love the way the camera moves, and the way that the Bernard Herrmann score fits the film. I still need to see the original though.

• Reader

★★★★ Watched by Reader 30 Jan, 2016

Scorsese's most profitable film without Leonardo DiCaprio is far from his best work, but I still love it. It's a cheesy, fun R-rated thriller but with a Scorsese touch, so it's probably one of the greatest cheesy, fun R-rated thrillers. There are some really dark things going on but it's handled well. There's some really good acting and it features Bernard Herrmann's iconic score.
    That's fifteen Scorsese films (excluding docs) down, fifteen I love and eight to go.

• Heretic

★½ Watched by Heretic 26 Jan, 2016

Masterly direction and masterly acting ( especially by Juliette Lewis) all at the service of generic genre. It's like hiring the best craftsmen in the world to collaborate on making a chair. But not a chair by Gaudi or Buckminster Fuller. Not even a chair by IKEA. No, a chair by Walmart. What the fuck is the point?

• Josh Margherita

★★★★ Watched by Josh Margherita 23 Jan, 2016

Cape Fear is nowhere near Scorsese's best films, but it's still great. Robert De Niro gives an awesome performance as a psychopath and steals the whole show. If he wasn't in this movie, I wouldn't have given such a high rating. Without De Niro it would be another generic horror film. Scorsese brung out all of the greatness that this film is. Not amazing or groundbreaking, but still great.

• Reed Gill

★★★★½ Rewatched by Reed Gill 22 Jan, 2016

Pretty awesome, especially the ending. A lot of conversation scenes dragged on way longer than necessary. Other than that, Robert De Niro was great and Nick Nolte was a clicker of buttholes. 4.5 stars with De Niro sinking into the abyss.

• Bryan W

★★★½ Rewatched by Bryan W 21 Jan, 2016

By 1991, director Martin Scorsese had established himself as one of the industries most sought after filmmaking forces -- and remains as such to this day. Working at the peak of his flair; Scorsese took on the challenge at remaking the respected 1962 thriller of the same name. This also happened to be the year that followed the monumental success of ‘Goodfellas,’ a movie considered by many to be the directors prized triumph.

Scorsese as a token of appreciation gave…

• Scott Calibrax

★★★★ Rewatched by Scott Calibrax 20 Jan, 2016

When I saw this movie as a teenager, I failed to appreciate the style of the movie. Viewing it as an adult, you can't help but be hyper-conscious of the intentional appropriation of the Hitchcock style, the elements transposed from the original film (the soundtrack (lifted whole from the original), the actors) and other classic thrillers like Night of the Hunter, plus touches like painted backgrounds, title sequence, etc.
    It makes for strange viewing-- modern film in a blender with…

• TWMG67

★★★½ Watched by TWMG67 07 Jan, 2016

Cape Fear is a mixed bag for me, I enjoyed the final act so much, but the act one and two just felt slow for me, and I feel the film could have been cut down by at least 20 minutes for a tighter narrative. However, the performances were just amazing, and seeing Nick Nolte and De Niro play off of each other, was a true spectacle.

• Jamie Hornsby

★★ Watched by Jamie Hornsby 17 Jan, 2016

I expected more from you, Scorsese. And even more from you, De Niro!