• MrSharky

★★★½ Watched by MrSharky 12 Sep, 2014

De Niro is chillingly good as the released convict, hell-bent on exacting revenge upon his Lawyer who buried a report which may have lowered his sentence 14 years previously.

It's straight forward stuff, but works well.

My only complaint is that the finale is a little bit of a let down, but it's not enough to spoil the film overall.

• Will Kincaid

★★★ Rewatched by Will Kincaid 13 Sep, 2014

I admire how Scorsese brings his sense of moral ambiguity to Sam and his family, so the characters aren't just a two-dimensional suburban family being stalked by a psychopath. All of the water imagery, coupled with the theme of rebirth, and the cleansing of sin, is a nice touch.

THAT BEING SAID, no amount of skilled filmmaking can elevate a script this hackneyed and overblown. Marty may be reveling in the idea of bringing new cinematic tricks to stock thrillers, but unfortunately, the end result is just that, and nothing more.

• ander

★★★★ Watched by ander 11 Sep, 2014

Ties knots in your gut for two hours straight, such a vice grip only possible only because Scorsese's filmmaking has as much chutzpah as any of his classics. Scorsese owns the original's themes of masculinity but filters them through his worldview of moral compromise—we're all repulsive and fallible, destruction lies in not recognizing your own weakness. De Niro nearly matches Mitchum; Nolte's character is so vastly different enough from Peck's that comparison's fruitless, though with this I'm fairly certain Nolte's…

• Lis

★★★★ Watched by Lis 06 Sep, 2014

Now I need to watch the Simpsons parody of this again to calm down my nerves :D

• Sean Balanger

★★ Watched by Sean Balanger 04 Sep, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Josh

★★★½ Watched by Josh 29 Aug, 2014

Very different. My dad told me he liked this and said I would too, so we watched it together. The acting and directing were great, but the story was a little strange. I felt like it could have been a bit shorter.

• Robert Armitage

★★★★★ Watched by Robert Armitage 26 Aug, 2014

This is an amazing film, and so weird...

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 31 Jan, 2008

1991's Cape Fear is a remarkable thriller. With awesome performances by Robert De Niro, Juliette Lewis, Nick Nolte, and Jessica Lange, this film left a great impression on me and maybe because I watched this one first, I like this remake better than the original from 1962. Martin Scorsese's direction in this film is possibly more conventional compared to his most more praised and compelling achievements; nevertheless, he was still able to craft with this film an absolutely entertaining, intense, and exciting piece of suspense.

• Liam Hathaway

★★ Added by Liam Hathaway

The themes of how evil can corrupt anything that comes near it are effective, but the kinetic camerawork is so distracting that it dispels any sort of palpable suspense. De Niro's performance is also wildly over the top and the climax is plain irritating.

• Maquina_Muerte

★★★★½ Watched by Maquina_Muerte 21 Aug, 2014

I finally managed to see this awesomely disturbing piece of cinema. What a thrilling ride it was. DeNiro was excellent as the psychotic stalker. The Hitchcock references were all over the place in this movie and I think that's what makes this movie so damn good actually. Cult movie that everyone needs to see!

• Endre

★★★★ Rewatched by Endre 20 Aug, 2014

One of the joys of rewatching films I haven't seen in so many years, is discovering how creepiness and creepy truths are in more creepy places than I saw the first time.

• Aaron Devery

Added by Aaron Devery

If this was supposed to be a comedy I would have rated it five stars