• Hunter

★★★ Rewatched by Hunter 27 Jul, 2016

The director that keeps us guessing is back again. Who knew after the gangster classic Goodfellas he would give us a horror thriller? The man can do whatever movie he wants and some he doesn't want and still make a good movie out of it.

The movie is about lawyer Sam (Nolte) who 14 years earlier defended rapist and psychopath Max Cady (De Niro). Now that the years are past, Max comes back to make sure he and his family…

• Michael Dang

★★★★ Watched by Michael Dang 26 Jul, 2016

The Good, The Bad & the Review:

The Good:
    + Robert De Niro's Max Cady
    + That fucking score
    + Martin Scorsese's direction

The Bad:
    - Juliette Lewis
    - Random special effect

The Review:
    Cape Fear truly frightened me with its Alfred Hitchcock-like direction. Scorsese taking influence from the master of suspense and it works so well. It also helps with Robert De Niro's best acting role I've seen yet. He commanded every scene and gave me chills down my spine. I can never look at his eyes ever again....ever.

• willmoviefan97

★★★★ Watched by willmoviefan97 25 Jul, 2016

A little long winded from a story standpoint, and it's a slow burner, but an efficient one at that sorely on the assured direction of Martin Scorsese and an eerie score composed by Elmer Bernstein. The entire cast pulls off convincing work, Robert DeNiro easily could've overcooked it, but he brings just the right amount of sociopath and strange charm to Max Cady to make for such a fascinating & unsettling loose canon to watch unfold. One of his best performances.

• Eugene McCrann

★★★ Rewatched by Eugene McCrann 15 Jul, 2016

Leave it to Scorsese to turn a modest thriller into a comically lurid epic so roided-out on sexual jitters that De Niro biting off a woman’s face is just the first sign of depravity. But also leave it to Scorsese to complicate this trash with a serious meditation on the types of evidentiary rules that allow for a victim’s sexual history to mitigate a rapist’s culpability, balanced against the breadth of the Sixth Amendment’s right to (the best) counsel. Wish…

• The Entity

★★★★½ Rewatched by The Entity 23 Jul, 2016 2

Not quite as good as I remembered, but it's still a damn great film, and one of Scorsese's most underrated.

I don’t know my exact rating, but whatever.

Some of the color techniques really worked, and De Niro's Max Cady was fucking terrifying.

Probably better than Hannibal Lecter, but Hopkins deserved the Oscar.

Some parts bugged me, but it doesn't matter all that much.

***I won't be watching that many films for the next couple weeks because I'm going to film school for two weeks, so if I don't make as many entries, that is why.

See you later.

COME OUT COUNSELOR!

• Savannah Williams

★★★★ Watched by Savannah Williams 18 Jul, 2016

Scorsese and De Niro combine forces once again in this extremely dark thriller remake based off the original 1962 version starring Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum.

I've always loved Scorsese's portrayals of crime. Whether it be organized crime, isolated sociopaths, etc. But the side of Scorsese I really admire and find extremely underrated is when he delves into the psychological thriller genre. Although this is a remake, I still think he did an excellent job with the film. Most remakes…

• Han Deckard

★★★★½ Watched by Han Deckard 19 Jul, 2016

All style and not too much substance but De Niro is electric. Never a boring moment and whenever he's onscreen there's nothing else on my mind. Another I loved.

• Simon Di Berardino

★★★½ Watched by Simon Di Berardino 18 Jul, 2016 1

Pretty ludicrous, but in a Hitchcock/De Palma sort of way. The way in which a heightened approach to everything reveals blunt truths and symbols, something filmmakers rarely if ever do today. Justice, vengeance and the value of a man's life are all at stake here, and while the battle is fraught with implausible silliness, it's also kind of a thrill. Not top tier Scorsese by any stretch, but certainly worth ones time.

• yoelnoreally

★★★★ Watched by yoelnoreally 17 Jul, 2016

as soon as de niro took a bite out of illeana douglas' cheek i knew this would be the first time i preferred a remake to its original

• Noah Champagne

★★★★ Watched by Noah Champagne 02 Jul, 2016

Cape Fear definitely is dated in regards to how it was filmed and other cinematic decisions, Nevertheless, it was an excellent film. The story was one of the best suspense films I've seen. It was played out very well with Max Cady's dialogue and it truly makes you question if he really is the source of Bowdens' issues. Robert De Niro also does a very good job as Max Cady and you really develop a hatred for Cady, and really…

• Jordan Smith

Added by Jordan Smith 2

Early on in Goodfellas, Ray Liotta's Henry Hill imparts to us that "Jimmy was the kind of guy that rooted for bad guys in the movies." Jimmy Conway, of course, was played by Robert De Niro, who also updates Max Cady's Southern charmer for Scorsese's '91 remake. Cady is the kind of bad guy in the movies who *wants* to be rooted for. Scorsese rides this line of us finding Cady irresistible yet knowing he's a deplorable human being as…

• Romy S

★★ Watched by Romy S 17 Jun, 2016

Way too bloated and teeters between plodding and unhinged, without creating a proper build-up between the two. You assume you're in for something cheap and nasty, but the result is actually far too calculated and overly produced to even work as entertaining trash.