• Evan Cogswell

★★½ Watched by Evan Cogswell 31 Jul, 2015

My biggest take away from this is that I really need to see the original now. I'm not sure what Scorsese was trying to achieve with his remake. Parts work - mostly the middle - but the cutting to the negative of shots was more distracting than anything else, and while De Niro was creepy enough to make up for his scenery chewing, he goes so over the top by the film's end it becomes difficult to take the horror seriously.

• Jaime Grijalba

★★★½ Watched by Jaime Grijalba 01 Aug, 2015

Cape Fear (1991)

7/10

Weirdly discomforting but not in a way that would make me admire Scorsese for what he's doing, though he absolutely directs the shit out of this movie. Seeing this compared to the 60's film, I must say that the earlier film works better in terms of how much constraint it shows while at the same time it still manages to be edgy and provocative with the events that it portrays, as well as how intelligently it…

• Patbach

★★★★★ Rewatched by Patbach 28 Jul, 2015

Surprisingly good

• Max Oxley

★★★★ Watched by Max Oxley 28 Jul, 2015

It’s not the best version of Cape Fear, but then again, neither is the 1962 one. That honour goes to the Simpsons episode ‘Cape Feare’. Not even joking a little bit, that episode is a bonafide masterpiece.

But yeah, this is still a damn good film and one of the best remakes I’ve ever seen. De Niro’s highly unsettling performance as Max Cady genuinely rivals Robert Mitchum’s in the original, and that is certainly no mean feat. The scene with…

• Jerry Downing

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jerry Downing 18 Jul, 2015

July 2015 Challenge - Connection to previous movie - Robert Mitchum

Probably Robert DeNiro at his most psychotic.

• BurgundySuit
  • FilmGuy1997

★★★★½ Added by FilmGuy1997

This is an extremely suspenseful, terrifying film.

• Luis de los Santos

★★★ Watched by Luis de los Santos 15 Jul, 2015

SCORSESE 🙌🏻

• gbxavier

★★★★★ Watched by gbxavier 11 Jul, 2015

Princípios morais não podem ultrapassar deveres éticos. Alguns nunca mais esquecerão disso.

• Andy Lunn

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andy Lunn 10 Jul, 2015 2

A rare decent remake, which I think owes more to Hitchcock than the original movie. Perhaps this is the kind of thing that Hitch would've made if he'd still be around in '91. I certainly wish Scorsese had made more like this in his career.

This time round I was fascinated by Nick Nolte, considering what the intervening years have done to him. He's surprisingly fresh faced here and delivers a solid performance. This is perhaps often overlooked, as he's…

• Stigander

★★★★ Watched by Stigander 10 Jul, 2015

For ei klipping, for en DeNiro. Veldig solid, sjølv om voice-overen på slutten er håplaus.

• DollarStoreFilm

★★★★ Added by DollarStoreFilm

Whenever someone tells me they hate movie remakes, I always bring up this overlooked Scorsese film from 1991.

Robert De Niro's Max Cady has got to be up there on a list with the most terrifying movie villains. His intelligence and religious fundamentalism (believing his is an instrument of God) are contrasted with his well-built frame and animalistic actions. He has brains, braun, and a memory like a steel trap.( I'm even trembling as I type this.) He can "out-learn…