• Crawlspace Dweller Matt

★★★ Watched by Crawlspace Dweller Matt 21 Jul, 2014 2

I'm a sucker for these chamber plays. 1 room, 4 people, go!

I enjoyed the verbal fights quite a lot and loved how the 4 characters constantly changed their "teammates"; it's not always couple versus couple.
    The actors were all top notch. I especially enjoyed the two men, the asshole in disguise and the slick sarcastic businessman.

This was pretty captivating and quite a lot of fun to watch but the ending was extremely abrupt. Am I the only one…

• Hendrik

★★★★ Watched by Hendrik 21 Jul, 2014

One's puking
    One's agreeing
    One's preaching
    One's on the phone

• Ella

★★★½ Watched by Ella 08 Jun, 2014

"My husband has spent the entire afternoon DRYING THINGS!"

Roman Polanski's comedy of manners is war. Language are bombs, undermining any chance at being civil, sending all semblance of calm into thousands of tiny pieces. Every word is questioned, bickered over, torn to pieces. As four neurotic parents that greatly exemplify the overly-cynical, over-educated, anxiety-ridden society of today, Foster, Winslet, Waltz and Reilly are excellent. If it was any longer, there would be significant issues, as it already leaps into groan-inducing "they wouldn't really stay!"/need to have a character vomit-ness multiple times, but overall, Polanski's claustrophobic comedy is enjoyably grotesque and twisted.

• Baiba Lambert

★★★ Watched by Baiba Lambert 17 Jul, 2014

After watching Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds, I'm just obsessed with Christoph Waltz! His acting is absolutely fantastic which led me to a decision to watch most of his English-speaking movies.

This movie surprised me. The whole film was shot in a single location (except for the park scenes, at the beginning and end). To be honest, I was annoyed at the start, because whenever they tried to leave, something stopped them. I thought "Oh yes, finally I'll the Cowan's…

• Vincent Mollica

★★★½ Watched by Vincent Mollica 14 Jul, 2014

I'm not quite sure why this didn't get more attention. It's about as good as a stage to screen adaptation can get, keeping the sense of claustrophobia and mounting tensions inherent in the stage production, but implementing a variety of, subtle, complex, camera movement to make it never feel like filmed theater. The performances (with the odd, and glaring, exception of Kate Winslet) are all incredible, finding the perfect ratio of honesty and broadness the satire involves.

Still, even at…

• Raephex

★★★★ Watched by Raephex 11 Jul, 2014

Another surprisingly good film from rapist-in-exile Roman Polanski.

"...surprisingly good..." - Raephex, letterboxd.com

• KatDeLaMuerte

★★★★ Watched by KatDeLaMuerte 08 Jul, 2014

It's fun watching people break under the weight of forced manners. Two couples fight over the correct punishment after one couples' child puts a smack down on the others'. Is the world ruled by violence? Do our impulses always need overcoming? Dialogue heavy, filmed in real time and taking place entirely on one set (john c reilly's actual apartment) Carnage puts the viewer in the cramped battle ground of upper class white parenting ideology.

• BENJAMINTO

★★★ Watched by BENJAMINTO 03 Jul, 2014

Almost a credible dark comedy in the vein of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?--the difference being that the final third of Woolf soars to almost surreal, nightmarish heights, while the final third of Carnage merely grows stale.

Still, those first two thirds contain some memorable performances by everyone but Christoph Waltz, curiously enough. He plays his lawyer husband character with the same divorced menace typical of his villains, except this time he's saddled with an unfortunately unconvincing American accent.

• حبيب الامين

★★★ Added by حبيب الامين

Damn it, I should have logged this film on the day I watched it.

• Will Clift

★★★★ Watched by Will Clift 01 Jul, 2014

Short, simple, and clever comedy featuring four wonderful performances.

• Ian Buckwalter

★★½ Watched by Ian Buckwalter 11 Jan, 2012

Read my Atlantic essay on the claustrophobic films of Polanski (and where this one falls short).

• Rolivers