• cineedo
  • Eric Robert Wilkinson

Watched by Eric Robert Wilkinson 16 Dec, 2011

Roman Polanski’s Carnage begins, appropriately enough, under glowering grey January skies in a Brooklyn park as Alexandre Desplat’s whimsical, charming woodwinds score devolves into harsh, drum beats – the sounds of war. This sets the stage for the adversarial nature of what is to come. A young boy wordlessly strikes another boy in the face with a stick.

Both rather affluent seeming pairs of parents of the two boys – houseware supplier Michael and African genocide writer/art enthusiast Penelope Longstreet…

• Beef Surpreme

★★★★ Watched by Beef Surpreme 12 Apr, 2014

Wunderbar gespielt, von allen vieren. Vor allem wenn Jodie Fosters Gesicht immer wutverzerrter und Christoph Walz wieder einen trockenen Spruch ablässt, kann man nur noch laut loslachen. Das Ende kommt zwar etwas zu abrupt, aber ist dennoch fast der größte Lacher.

• Luiz Augusto

★★★½ Watched by Luiz Augusto 13 Apr, 2014

Well, I confess I read a little about this movie before watching it as I selected it "only" because it was directed by Roman Polanski. I love "Frantic" and I'm now watching - or at least trying to watch all of the movies he directed.

Premise sounded interesting and it really is. It was adapted from a theater act and you can tell by the characters 'trapped' in a house and its massive dialogues; they are great and make me…

• Warren

★★★★ Watched by Warren 29 Mar, 2014

In high school I identified as a Polanski "fan," before I knew about his personal life. I had seen Repulsion, The Tenant, Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown, and thought he was just awesome. I've seen a few others since that are more middle-of-the-road, but Carnage is the first one in a while that has really grabbed me. This movie had the verve of early Neil Labute efforts. It's interesting that this is also based on a play, but the power of this…

• Naughty

★★½ Watched by Naughty 28 Mar, 2014 4

An odd little film about what happens when people ditch their manners and say exactly what they think! I have to admit it was comical at times but nothing to write home about!

• Corbin

★½ Watched by Corbin 24 Mar, 2014 7

Otherwise known as "Rich White People Problems: The Movie"

• butterworth

Rewatched by butterworth 24 Mar, 2014

La que veo cuando crece en mi el más mínimo atisbo de esperanza en el ser humano.

• Anders Nilsson

Added by Anders Nilsson

En incident mellan två skolpojkar leder till att bådas respektive föräldrapar träffas för att reda ut dispyten, något som börjar i samförstånd men som snabbt urartar till olustigt gnabb de vuxna emellan. Roman Polanski har lyckats med konststycket att skapa ett putslustigt kammarspel som känns Woody Allenskt, med en dialogdriven intrig där ångan hålls uppe tack vare skådespelare av absolut toppklass. Tack för det Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly, Christoph Waltz och Kate Winslet.

• Brendan Boyle

★★ Watched by Brendan Boyle 18 Mar, 2014

Okay, I chuckled the first time they hovered in the doorway, because it was so obvious that nothing was settled and they couldn't leave yet. Felt very true to the rules that govern small talk and civilized conversation. But it's all along a very predictable line from there. Can definitely see this being more compelling onstage.

• KraanJ

★★ Watched by KraanJ 16 Mar, 2014

Surprisingly dull and bland. The performances are OK in parts (although John C. Reilly shouldn't have any part of this and Winslet is surprisingly flat for most of the film), but Carnage mostly feels distinctly uncinematic.

Despite its theatrical setting, Polanski managed to make Venus in Fur feel like something worthy of being shown in a cinema. That is never evident in Carnage.

• Brad Swenson

★★★ Watched by Brad Swenson 14 Mar, 2014

Great casting with some interesting performances. But the story definitely feels forced.