• heresyed

★★★★ Watched by heresyed 01 Mar, 2016

Kevin Spacey is another actor that never seems to disappoint (beyond the Irish accent I knocked him for) and I will watch anything he does. I was expecting this to be a slightly boring political drama, but I really should have known better. It is your typical film about a sleazeball who makes money any way he can and it comes back to bite him in the end. No surprises there, but it is well made, the cast is great and the story is solid. Kevin Spacey nails it and if he's the only reason you want to watch this movie, you'll be happy.

• Ryan

★★★ Watched by Ryan 16 Feb, 2016

The house had to start somewhere.

• Owen Greenwell

★★★ Watched by Owen Greenwell 20 Jul, 2011

Wanted to like it more than I did. A lot of exposition dialogue, unsubtle.

• Otiose

★★★★ Watched by Otiose 08 Jan, 2016

Based on a true story, a hot shot Washington DC lobbyist and his protégé go down hard as their schemes to peddle influence lead to corruption and murder.

• Sigfred Storstrand

★★ Watched by Sigfred Storstrand 26 Nov, 2015

There is so much of Spaceys groundwork for House of Cards' Frank Underwood here, but nothing else.

• Bryan Colley

★★★★ Added by Bryan Colley

A great look at how corruption operates in Washington that could explain what's going on a little better (it's mainly lots of white envelopes being passed around with thank you's) but if you've got Kevin Spacey and Jon Lovitz in a movie together, it's going to be a good time. The biggest oddity is Kevin Spacey looks nothing like tall, hunky Jack Abramoff. A good movie about our sorry government.

• LCN

★★★ Watched by LCN 07 Aug, 2015

"I'm Jack Abramoff. And oh, yeah, I work out every day."

• BennyWestside

★★★ Added by BennyWestside

Kevin Spacey is in this, and I like him... That's all...

• Bethany

★★ Watched by Bethany 22 Aug, 2015

Why does Kevin Spacey still play political figures? I feel like now that we have Frank Underwood, they're all sort of in that shadow. I don't know. This is sort-of an interesting story if you're not tired of seeing privileged white men in Washington make terrible life choices. But it's not a particularly well written version of the story.

• mrmaguda

★★½ Watched by mrmaguda 11 Nov, 2010

Saw it at the Tivoli on Opening Night of the 2010 St. Louis International Film Festival, my first-ever film festival. The night was originally supposed to be part of a career retrospective of the director George Hickenlooper. But when Hickenlooper passed away just a couple weeks before the screening, the night became a memorial service. Before the film started, there were tributes by several people including Kevin Spacey who also gave a Q&A afterwards. It was an incredible night but unfortunately, one in the service of a mediocre movie.

• cinemagazine

★★★ Watched by cinemagazine 04 May, 2015

"Spacey draagt de film moeiteloos, maar ook Pepper en Jon Lovitz maken indruk. Helaas gebeurt er heel veel in korte tijd en krijgt niet elk castlid genoeg speeltijd om van een sterke rolbezetting te kunnen spreken. Zonde want er is veel energie in deze film gestoken. De soundtrack is prima, de decors ogen goed en ook de cameravoering is dik in orde. Een helder script had deze rolprent boven de middelmaat uit kunnen tillen."

• Mark Harrison

★★★ Watched by Mark Harrison 28 Apr, 2015

"Washington is Hollywood with ugly faces."

Kevin Spacey is clearly winding up to play Frank Underwood all the way through this and he's about the only thing that really gains traction in a slightly-too-slick true crime story.

The interesting parallels with Abramoff looking at his exploits like a movie extend only as far as having Spacey do some impressive impression work and (most bizarrely) pitch Exodus: Gods & Kings. Having seen how that one turned out, that might have been his most diabolical move here.