★★★ Watched by LCN 07 Aug, 2015

"I'm Jack Abramoff. And oh, yeah, I work out every day."

• BennyWestside

★★★ Added by BennyWestside

Kevin Spacey is in this, and I like him... That's all...

• Bethany

★★ Watched by Bethany 22 Aug, 2015

Why does Kevin Spacey still play political figures? I feel like now that we have Frank Underwood, they're all sort of in that shadow. I don't know. This is sort-of an interesting story if you're not tired of seeing privileged white men in Washington make terrible life choices. But it's not a particularly well written version of the story.

• mrmaguda

★★½ Watched by mrmaguda 11 Nov, 2010

Saw it at the Tivoli on Opening Night of the 2010 St. Louis International Film Festival, my first-ever film festival. The night was originally supposed to be part of a career retrospective of the director George Hickenlooper. But when Hickenlooper passed away just a couple weeks before the screening, the night became a memorial service. Before the film started, there were tributes by several people including Kevin Spacey who also gave a Q&A afterwards. It was an incredible night but unfortunately, one in the service of a mediocre movie.

• cinemagazine

★★★ Watched by cinemagazine 04 May, 2015

"Spacey draagt de film moeiteloos, maar ook Pepper en Jon Lovitz maken indruk. Helaas gebeurt er heel veel in korte tijd en krijgt niet elk castlid genoeg speeltijd om van een sterke rolbezetting te kunnen spreken. Zonde want er is veel energie in deze film gestoken. De soundtrack is prima, de decors ogen goed en ook de cameravoering is dik in orde. Een helder script had deze rolprent boven de middelmaat uit kunnen tillen."

• Mark Harrison

★★★ Watched by Mark Harrison 28 Apr, 2015

"Washington is Hollywood with ugly faces."

Kevin Spacey is clearly winding up to play Frank Underwood all the way through this and he's about the only thing that really gains traction in a slightly-too-slick true crime story.

The interesting parallels with Abramoff looking at his exploits like a movie extend only as far as having Spacey do some impressive impression work and (most bizarrely) pitch Exodus: Gods & Kings. Having seen how that one turned out, that might have been his most diabolical move here.

• nicolas1810

★★ Watched by nicolas1810 13 Mar, 2015 2

Ο Kevin Spacey είναι ο Jack Abramoff,φόλα ρεπουμπλικάνος γκράντε λομπίστας της Ουάσινγκτον επί Bush Jr,μέγας φαν του κινηματογράφου τον όποιο υπηρέτησε και σαν παραγωγός, με το αριστούργημα του να είναι το Red Scorpion-η αφίσα του οποίου κοσμεί το γραφείο του-που έχει τη συνήθεια να μιλάει με κινηματογραφικές ατάκες αλλά και να τσεπώνει εκατομμύρια δολάρια που δεν του ανήκουν,κάνοντας κομπίνες κυρίως εξαπατώντας Ινδιάνους,μαζί με το συνεργάτη του Barry Pepper.Γυρισμένη σε ένα πολύ ανάλαφρο στυλ-ενώ τα πραγματικά γεγονότα είναι βέβαιο ότι δεν…

• Chad Anderson

★★★ Watched by Chad Anderson 29 Jan, 2015 4

I had heard that this was disappointing and yet I had looked forward to seeing this in the wake of Abramoff's release from jail. This is unusually flat and unappealling for a Kevin Spacey vehicle. For a wild true story, I think the mistake was playing this too straight and not playing to some of the more salacious details a la Wolf of Wall Street. As someone who had read through the story as it happened I followed what was…

• nicktday

★★★ Watched by nicktday 27 Jan, 2015

Two things were foreshadowed in this movie.
    A) Kevin Spacey would be excellent as the future Frank Underwood.
    B) Ridley Scott would direct a Biblical epic.

One of those was great, the other not so much.

• Bartman

★★½ Added by Bartman

Kevin Spacey is Jack Abramoff in a straightforward narrative of the scandals that lead to his downfall.
    Casino Jack gives us a fascinating look inside the shady, murky world of lobbyists, convincingly demonstrating that democracy has become an amoral process of buying and selling legislation to the highest bidder.
    It's never boring, the excesses are too blatant for that (a lot of it would play like satire, if it hadn't happened in reality), but the movie does lack an emotional pay-off: there's not much to feel, not even righteous anger.

• joelhwa

★★ Watched by joelhwa 28 Oct, 2011

4/10: Inspired by true events, started well, the writing in the first hour is spot-on, but in the second hour, it falters, failing to deliver the desired impact especially in the ending. Top performance by Kevin Spacey though.

• Johnathan Detrick

★★½ Watched by Johnathan Detrick 30 Oct, 2014

I'm not sure this movie really knows what it wants to do. It seems to be condemning the behaviors of the super lobbyists of the 1990s. At the same time, it paints a relatively sympathetic portrait of Jack Abramoff, the biggest culprit of the behaviors that the movie seems to deplore. I could understand if the movie was trying to say that even super lobbyists are people too, but the other characters who work with Abramoff do not get so sympathetic a treatment; indeed, they are almost treated as caricatures. Odd.