• tamasic

★★★★★ Added by tamasic

The only Bond movie that matters.

• skubrick

★★★★★ Added by skubrick

Performances 5/5
    Writing 5/5
    Production 5/5
    Total 5/5

Made Bond films what they are supposed to be! Goes back to its source material and more like Connery's films! No gadgets, or humor, very dark, and realistic, best Bond film!

• Chevalier

★★★★ Added by Chevalier

A characters that has been basically a cartoon of sexist alpha male myths becomes human in this reboot. With a Bond that actually gets dirty in the job, it's a shame that neither Quantum or Skyfall have been at the level of this film.

• Trinity Martin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Trinity Martin 09 Apr, 2014

What a tremendous Bond movie. Bond has a history of starting out their new actors with good or great films, and this continues that tradition with possibly the best first film for a new Bond actor (this might be a tie with Goldeneye, which I love).

Martin Campbell and the writers that have created a Bond movie that is FILLED with memorable sequences and scenes. Here are a few: the incredible parkour foot chase, Bond just shooting the guy at…

• James Kujawa

★★★★ Rewatched by James Kujawa 07 Apr, 2014

I had no idea that director Martin Campbell also directed "Goldeneye." Both great films, both could use a little more editing. The poker stuff sorta drags after a bit, but they break it up enough as to not make it too mundane.

Anyways, here's a great example of excellent violence with the absence of gore. There are some terrific kills in this picture, but very little blood, done to keep the MPAA rating box office friendly. Still, Bond pulls off…

• Dragonknight

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dragonknight 06 Apr, 2014 11

”You think of women as disposable pleasures, rather than meaningful pursuits.”

This is how it should be done. The days of wine and roses are gone Mr. Bond, it's time for you to taste the bitter reality. Unpredictable, modern, action-packed and smart, Casino Royale is a fabulous reboot of a franchise which seemed to be lost forever after the horrible Die Another Day. It says goodbye to the humorous, charming and always successful James Bond of the past and instead…

• cineedo
  • Keith LaFountaine

★★★★½ Added by Keith LaFountaine

Amazingly written and impeccably directed, this update of Bond is gritty and uncompromising. Combine that with a tour-de-force performance from Daniel Craig and you have an excellent film.

• monte75

★★★★ Added by monte75

I really thought they did a great job with this movie. I have recently watched the first Pierce Brosnan Bond. This movie was 100 times that movie. Brosnan movie was campy with a throw away plot. Casino Royale was riveting. I don't mind the "less refined" Bond at all. Of course, I didn't have anything against Timothy Dalton either, and he was "less refined." I would highly recommend.

• KUATO2084

★★★½ Added by KUATO2084

Blu-ray review:

Very nice cinematography, it has a sleek look to it. Smart screenplay and a really solid debut as 007 from Craig.

The opening scene is amazing, it has so much action and shows us exactly what kind of Bond Daniel Craig plays. The multitude of setting changes throughout keep the movie moving at a good rhythm, and the scenes in the Casino have a very detailed look.

• Jack Caulfield

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jack Caulfield 28 Mar, 2014

After the diamond-encrusted villains, the lairs made of ice, and the awkward Madonna cameos, the Bond film franchise was in need of a desperate shot in the arm. Enter stage right, Daniel bloody Craig. Within two black and white minutes he eviscerates any memories of invisible cars with a bone-crunching, sink-drowning introduction. As he cooly dispatches bad guy number two and earns his double O status, there is no doubt in anyone's mind that this is James, bastard-hard, Bond. Casino…

• tdvh1993

★★★½ Watched by tdvh1993 23 Mar, 2014

Casino Royale serves as a reboot for the 007 series. In this Bond is reinvented, more rigid, more impulsive. Or so I heard as I don't really follow the other movies.
    This film is pure entertainment, it requires you to suspend your disbelief to the fullest to be enjoyable. I struggle a quite a bit in that regard. Sometimes, it's just a bit too nonsensical, and fantastical, which I assume is characteristics of Bond movies. Things happen seem too dramatic…