• Keith

★★½ Watched by Keith 19 Apr, 2016

CGI blood and swordplay, like Spartacus and 300? Check!
    People running across vast landscapes, chasing or being chased, like LOTR? Check!
    A tribe of ruthless warriors north of the wall, like Game of Thrones? Check!

Not a lot of originality here... but put together competently and the end result is a film that is quite fun to watch, even if it is predictable.

• nathaxn walker

★★★★ Watched by nathaxn walker 18 Apr, 2016 6

Neil Marshall folds eras and genres like a person nervously messing up their napkin after dinner as they tell you about this great idea they've just had. This particular great idea involves following up 2008's Doomsday, a homage to the post-apocalyptic films of the 1980's which blossomed in the wake of Mad Max, with Centurion, which resituates the core tale behind Walter Hill's The Warriors, Xenophon's Anabasis within an ancient context, switching out the Greeks stranded in Persian territory of…

• Craig Hart

★★★ Added by Craig Hart

The latest offering from director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent), this film is about the Roman Ninth Legion and their mysterious disappearance in 2nd century Britain while fighting against the Picts (some say disappearance, others say annihilation). Very much in the same vein as "King Arthur" from several years back, with shades of "Gladiator" thrown in as well, this is basically a violent, gory chase picture, as the survivors of the Ninth Legion attempt to save their general and…

• QueenCockatiel

★★★ Watched by QueenCockatiel 14 Mar, 2016

Above-average semi-historical action flick, leaning more heavily on atmosphere than pure, feverish conflict -- although it has plenty of blood and gore to go around, with one particularly brutal execution featuring a man taking a spear to the mouth. It would have really benefited from some improved characterization, but the fact it's a bit more emotional than your average testosterone-fueled Roman action movie, and the fact the director put a bit more thought than usual into the individual characters, really…

• Nonomoi

★★★ Watched by Nonomoi 05 Mar, 2016

I am not the best person to talk/write about epic/historical films cause they're not my cup of tea at all.
    I just watched this movie cause last weeked was in parents-in-law's home and they were watching this on tv.
    Anyway, I think this movie is watchable not being awful or wonderful, just regular.
    Good photography, Fassbender's acting and six-pack, Kurylenko's acting and special effects.
    Regular (ok, a little bit poor) script and edition.

• Parker

★★★½ Watched by Parker 02 Mar, 2016

It's a historical epic. But it's also an ancient, car-less version of Mad Max. But it's also kind of a Roman version of the Hills Have Eyes. But it's also sort of like a sword-and-sandal Wild Bunch.

• Asti Prasetyo

Watched by Asti Prasetyo 02 Mar, 2016

Mmmmm.... I just dont get it.

• CryAye

★★★★ Watched by CryAye 27 Feb, 2016

Well I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this one.
    It reminded me of Immortals but less "artsy"
    Now I really wanna follow this up with Immortals. so good

• Jameson Berthiaume

★★ Watched by Jameson Berthiaume 21 Feb, 2016

Shallow characters more often than not equate to a shallow movie. Even the great Fassbender couldn't save this movie from being less than mediocre. Weak storytelling, bland visuals, and sporadic action scenes left a lot to be desired.

• Roger

★★½ Watched by Roger 18 Feb, 2016

Centurion or The Things I Do for Michael Fassbender (2016)

• ManBitesZombie

★★★★ Watched by ManBitesZombie 25 Jan, 2016

Actors I like, director I like but is never quite what I want, good action, good ultra-masculine bro-culture, good badass and interesting female characters, great locations and some not good stuff.

• Owen Greenwell

★★★½ Watched by Owen Greenwell 11 Dec, 2010

Enjoyable action-er in Roman times.