• Casey Burchby

★★ Watched by Casey Burchby 15 Apr, 2015

Best scene? Opening credits.

• Chris Gelderd

★★★½ Watched by Chris Gelderd 14 Apr, 2015

This 2010 British historical action film directed is by Neil Marshall and stars Michael Fassbender, Olga Kurylenko, Dominic West and Liam Cunningham.

In 117 AD, the Roman army continue to try and conquer the British Isles, facing the last pocket of heavy resistance in the North from the Picts of Alba. When a Roman garrison is ambushed, centurion Quintus Dias (Fassbender) is captured and held prisoner, but manages to escape bound in chains, pursued by the Picts.

Meawhile, Governor Gnaeus…

• wildestpenfield

★★½ Added by wildestpenfield

Ah, Neil Marshall. Dog Soldiers and The Descent were two of the best horror flicks of the last decade. Of course, his last effort (non-horror, admittedly) effort, Doomsday, was shite, which probably didn't help this one getting bumped by The Eagle, but even that's perhaps less depressing than this: entirely competent, but kinda boring. I liked the (perhaps accurate?) multi-ethnic Roman crew, but the most interesting character (the General) gets killed off too early, and while there are a few…

• Edwin Davies

★★★½ Watched by Edwin Davies 30 Mar, 2015

A bloody and enjoyable peplum offering that mixes the physicality of the genre with elements of John Carpenter and Walter Hill's work.

• John Roberts

★★½ Watched by John Roberts 02 Jun, 2012

solid swords and sandals kind of flick. Not high quality film, but lots of fun sword play.

• Andy Lunn

Watched by Andy Lunn 18 Mar, 2015 2

I've never been into this kind of genre, hence why I've thus far avoided Game of Thrones (soon to be rectified as I have borrowed the box set). Despite these misgivings, I decided to give this a go because it's Neil Marshall and his work is always worthwhile.

So, it was well made and nicely gory, and McNulty was in it. But, I'm still not interested in this genre. It just doesn't hold my attention. I can't even remember how it ended.

• Filipe Furtado

★★½ Watched by Filipe Furtado 19 Mar, 2015

There’s a certain perversity here that is fascinating with Marshall using his horror movie pedigree that effectly rotten the post 300 ancient adventure film from inside. But Marshall, who has always show more imagination than control, is at his sloppy worse here. The first half is so ramshackle to be nearly unwatchable; things do improve some later on, but ideas remain a lot more clever than its execution.

• Chris

★★★½ Rewatched by Chris 15 Mar, 2015

Sometimes a simple story works. Always a sucker for a survival story.

• danica

Watched by danica 15 Mar, 2015

i only kept it on because of michael fassbender and i didn't really pay attention so.......

• The Film Avenger

★★★ Added by The Film Avenger

Entertaining and visually beautiful epic. Not great, but good. Recommend for a rental or Netflix.

• Kenneth_C

★★★ Watched by Kenneth_C 01 Mar, 2015

Aerial shots zoom along mountaintops, picking out an intrepid band of survivors being pursued by a tribe of face-painted warriors. Am I watching THE LORD OF THE RINGS again? No, it's CENTURION -- with ancient Picts standing in for Orcs. Despite the echos of everything from LOTR to his own DOG SOLDIERS, there's no question that Neil Marshall can direct up a storm. But I think he would have benefited by having someone else take a look at his script.…

• Bob Taylor

★★★★ Watched by Bob Taylor 27 Feb, 2015

Powered by a stellar cast and buckets of blood, Centurion is a meat-and-potatoes historical actioner about a band of stranded Roman soldiers being stalked by Pict warriors in second-century Scotland. The clashes are ruthless and exciting; it's not surprising at all that director Neil Marshall went on to direct some of Game of Thrones' biggest episodes.

People, there are giant rolling balls of fire in this movie. And Michael Fassbender! And Jimmy McNulty! Okay, you can't possibly need more reasons to watch.