• Simon Abrams

★★★ Watched by Simon Abrams 21 Oct, 2014

Again, cinematographer Sam McCurdy FTW.

More in my Vulture interview with director Neil Marshall.

• Koen Romers

★★½ Watched by Koen Romers 08 Oct, 2014

Worth a watch.

• Simon Curry

★★½ Rewatched by Simon Curry 12 Oct, 2014

Generic and uninspired. Fassbender does the best with what he is given, which is next to nothing.

• Bartman

★★★ Added by Bartman

After Doomsday, the failure of Centurion was the final nail in the coffin of Neil Marshall's once promising career. With lukewarm reviews and even colder box-office, I was surprised by how good it actually was.
    Sure, the story's very basic, just a bunch of lost British blokes on the run from a mob of angry Scots (nothing you can't see on a Friday night in Glasgow), but the visceral action scenes are great and Marshall does a good job of…

• Robin Solsjö Höglund

★★½ Watched by Robin Solsjö Höglund 08 Sep, 2014

Netflix encourages insomnia. The Walking Dead's own David Morrisey is in this. I was just looking for some Roman based action.

In Centurion a group of Roman soldiers are caught behind enemy lines and hunted by Picts.

Neil Marshall gives me a love/hate vibe. This is written and filmed like a modern ragtag soldier movie, and the extreme energy and unwavering pace keeps it from getting boring, but it also makes it feel comedic in an unintentional way (or is…

• fatpie42

★★ Watched by fatpie42 20 Oct, 2012

Pretty much the main star of this film is none other than... *drumroll*... Michael Fassbender. Oh yeah, the Fass is here and he's giving just as awesome a performance as ever.

And yes, there is a lot to enjoy in this film. The characters are endearing, though the attempt to flesh them out only goes so far. There are quite a lot of characters and many seem to get killed off just as you are getting to know them. Noel…

• rossboyask

★½ Watched by rossboyask 23 Aug, 2014

Taken me 4 attempts to watch this film. Fantastic cast and cinematography. I should like it, but I think it's utter rubbish. There's something very wrong with the editing, and with the screenplay.

• Andrew Ford

★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Ford 28 Jul, 2014

Better than I'd remembered (even though I lowered my rating this time around), Fassbender is fantastic, and Liam Cunningham is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. Neil Marshall doesn't get enough credit as an editor, and the violence throughout is accomplished with a surprisingly seamless mix of CG and practical effects.

• Matt Heiser

★★ Added by Matt Heiser

After the HBO series Rome, it must be really difficult to come up with a movie about Rome that can come close to the quality of the series (in story or production). This is very reminiscent of another recent movie set during the Roman Empire, The Eagle, and like that film, it is very generic and unmemorable. When you waste both Michael Fassbender and Dominic West, you know your movie has problems. There just isn't much of a story to care about, that its main problem. It has a great cast and good director, but it just doesn't go anywhere interesting.

• Gonçalo

★★½ Watched by Gonçalo 16 Jul, 2014

"Centurion" has some good fighting scenes but you never really care about any of the characters. Its rushed ending doesn't help either.

• matt lynch

★½ Watched by matt lynch 12 Jul, 2014 6

another potentially sturdy piece of junk food ruined by Marshall's incompetent cutting and over-coverage. it's a good thing the "Game of Thrones" guys don't let him have control of his edits. the guy's a total hack.

• Michael Buice

★★ Watched by Michael Buice 30 Jun, 2014

One of the toughest things to accept as a cinephile is disappointment over a film that has all the right ingredients but never comes together to form a satisfying whole. Such is the case with Centurion. Here we have one of the finest actors working today surrounded by an abundance of talent and a director whose previous work rightfully carries an air of excitement to any new film he releases. (Seriously, Dog Soldiers is great and highly underrated, and I've…