• ManBitesZombie

★★★★ Watched by ManBitesZombie 25 Jan, 2016

Actors I like, director I like but is never quite what I want, good action, good ultra-masculine bro-culture, good badass and interesting female characters, great locations and some not good stuff.

• Owen Greenwell

★★★½ Watched by Owen Greenwell 11 Dec, 2010

Enjoyable action-er in Roman times.

• Hithesh Devasya

★★ Watched by Hithesh Devasya 17 Jan, 2016

One great scene which involves great balls of fire. Everything else is like a few hundred films went through a copier machine which was running out of ink.

• sly3

★★½ Watched by sly3 09 Jan, 2016

Gorgeous locations, Good performances from fassbender and wright, cornball plot; what it lacks in much-needed restraint in most scenes, it does make up for in spades during the highly visceral, but over-shot, action scenes.

• CJames

★★★★ Added by CJames

A gleefully violent meat-and-potatoes historical action flick.

Don't go into this expecting anything deep or profound. Neil Marshall is interested in only one thing, crafting a fun, thrilling and sometimes shockingly violent chase film.

One has to wonder if this movie had come out a year or two later, once Fassbender's star had begun to ascend, then it could have been a much bigger hit.

• Franki Weightman

★★★★ Added by Franki Weightman

I thought this film was absolutely bloody brilliant.

• Shane Tarnowski

★★ Watched by Shane Tarnowski 02 Jan, 2016

I'm twenty minutes in and I think I can tell what the rest of the film is like, a history film released by a major studio that is poorly made with no participation of the crew besides Fassbender, and you can just judge this film by the opening credits.

• Sky

★★ Watched by Sky 30 Dec, 2015

Fassbender is just average in this lead role. A true movie star would have shone more. He's a great actor in the right role but a truly great actor should be able to rise above average. The movie is perhaps a wee bit over your standard made for tv genre flick. It does get a star for the outdoor locations.

• onlyslightlymad

★★★ Watched by onlyslightlymad 27 Dec, 2015

Romans on the run in barbarous Scotland. A bit silly, very gory but notable for an early Fassbender lead role. Entertaining enough for a rainy afternoon but nothing more.

• JonasWeaver

★★★½ Rewatched by JonasWeaver 16 Dec, 2015

Fun, simple, not too cheesy. Well acted at times. And brutal.

• filmsrruss

★★★ Watched by filmsrruss 13 Dec, 2015

An enjoyable romp but ultimately unfulfilling. All Vesuvius, no eruption; all aqueduct, no water; all Pomp-eii, no ceremony.

Would you like to know more?

• Cory

★★★★ Rewatched by Cory 11 Dec, 2015

Still just as fun as the first time I saw it! Extra points for not using green screen!