• Daniel Charchuk

★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 04 Nov, 2010

It's pretty blah. Even McNulty can't liven this fucker up.

Marshall needs to go back to horror.

• Ross Birks

★★★½ Watched by Ross Birks 28 Mar, 2014

This was lots of fun. Simple, lean and fierce. A potent reminder that Neil Marshall is one of the best genre directors around. It’s a shame his feature length output has dwindled since the release of Centurion four years ago but he’s still kicking ass on TV having guest directed a great episode of Game of Thrones. Either way, this one is an entertaining little ride that is satisfyingly violent and bloody. Marshall has a great eye for nastiness and…

• Justin Powell

★★★½ Rewatched by Justin Powell 27 Mar, 2014

A half star for a combination of the fact that I love Neil Marshall and the ridiculousness of the way Michael Fassbender yells "I'M A SOLDIER OF ROME, I WILL NOT YIELD"

• Prysewhert

★★★★ Watched by Prysewhert 24 Mar, 2014 2

Brutal, fast-paced, light in character development and set in stunning landscapes. Also creates desire to join the Roman Army.

Eric, gucken.

• Ross Miller

★★★½ Rewatched by Ross Miller 14 Mar, 2014

Certainly a lot more graphic than your average historical battle flick. And all the better for it.

• MasterRick

★★★ Watched by MasterRick 03 Jul, 2013

This was okay. For the most part, this is an efficiently directed and well paced actioner dressed up as a sword and sandal picture. Marshall has a real eye for scenery, and this allows for some pretty beautiful images (even if they're a little bound by the drab aesthetic common to many historical films since Gladiator) and effective use of the environment. The action itself is filmed more shakily and cut faster than it needs to be, but it hits…

• DaveyMac

★½ Watched by DaveyMac 22 Mar, 2014

It's got a good cast, interesting time period, and it's action packed. Yet I found it to be incredibly dull.

• JossWhedonsdick

★★★½ Rewatched by JossWhedonsdick 07 Mar, 2014

Smarter than it might look. A svelte, simple actioner that isn't afraid of grit or gore.

68/100

• Jonathan King

★★½ Watched by Jonathan King 26 Feb, 2014

A not-quite-ripping yarn that wastes its intriguing premise (Romans vs. Picts! Yeah!) and screen-filling locations in favor of a middling commando raid with an eye-rolling finale. Characters and dialogue seem designed to be assertively British in a setting where no such place existed. And that CG blood! Ugh!

• veridicaldream

★★★ Added by veridicaldream

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• mazzyhope815

★★★½ Watched by mazzyhope815 16 Feb, 2013

This one got bad reviews but I really dug it! Neil Marshall is great at this stuff (as evidenced by Game of Thrones episode ‘Blackwater’ which was off-the-charts awesome) and Fassbender sells the hell out of it. Beautiful looking movie too, which was a surprise after how gloomy The Descent was. Kurylenko makes a great scary face-painted assassin too.

• Antonio Quintero

★★★ Rewatched by Antonio Quintero 23 Dec, 2012

I know a lot of people do not like this movie, but i love it. Its like if John Carpenter sandals and sword movie. Everyone in this movie are tough guys trying to out bad ass each other