• Jönas

★★ Watched by Jönas 16 Jan, 2014

Charlie and some gangsters in the wax museum. Works nicely.

• Alan Dorich

★★ Watched by Alan Dorich 09 Jun, 2013

This Charlie Chan quickie from the 20th Century Fox era is a bit so-so, but it's certainly not boring. It finds Chan (Toler) trying to solve two mysteries in a wax museum where he's a guest of a radio show centered around crimes. At its best moments, it has the comfortable feel of a good 40s radio show.

• Glenn

★★★½ Watched by Glenn 20 Mar, 2013

"You've got an awful nerve asking me to marry you in that chamber of horrors." Man responds..."What do you think marriage is anyway?" A disgraced former plastic surgeon running your standard creepy wax museum and in league with criminals plots to murder Charlie Chan. Terrific setting for a Chan mystery that take place over the course of one dark and stormy night. I find Sidney Toler more severe and less affable than his predecessor Warner Oland. But he does an adequate job in the titular role.

• Brent Paton

★★½ Added by Brent Paton

Fun murder mystery.

• Jeremy Milks

★★★½ Watched by Jeremy Milks 19 Feb, 2013 1

Only my second Chan film (after Dark Alibi), watched on the recommendation of Brian Saur. This lived up to the billing and the setting of the wax museum gave this a classic horror film feel, despite it being a somewhate lighthearted detective story.

Again, my favourite element is Chan (Sidney Toler) hilariously berating his son for being a "dummy" throughout the film, although it was less biting here than it was in Dark Alibi. In short, this is lean, fast-paced and very funny in spots. I'm really enjoying this series and will watch as many as I can get my hands on.

• Brian Saur

★★★★ Watched by Brian Saur 30 Jan, 2012

Really enjoyed this. Seems like something John Carpenter might have looked at before making THE THING.

• Paul Corupe

★★★½ Watched by Paul Corupe 19 Sep, 2008 1

The first of Chan’s films set in really spooky locales, this one features great shadowy camera work and a great setting as Chan solves a “cold case” from the museum. It almost all takes place in the small museum, and therefore lacks the scope of his earlier adventures, but it works pretty well.