• nicksav

★★★★ Added by nicksav

A luscious animated romantic drama that celebrates life, romance and jazz.

• sailordanae

★★★★ Watched by sailordanae 10 Aug, 2014

This is a wonderful, touching, and often frustrating love story. Our two leads meet, fall in love, fall apart, and drift in and out of each other's lives as they are never able to forget the other or stop loving them.

It has good animation, in a different kind of style and design than one is used to seeing (at least here in the states), and though one can tell it used a computer, it doesn't look it, appearing closer…

• Emilio J. Barrero

★★★★ Added by Emilio J. Barrero

Natural, delicada y pasional. Una historia sobre dos amantes -y las dificultades que el destino cruza en sus caminos- que te atrapa desde el primer minuto y que no deja indiferente. Además posee una banda sonora armónica y sensual.
    Lágrima de felicidad asegurada.

• Atlinator

★★ Watched by Atlinator 27 Jul, 2014

I guess the combination of animation and art-house "prestige" material is enough for some people to consider this great cinema. What I saw was a crudely animated movie that dragged even at 90 minutes and it somehow manages to be more shapeless than most biopics even if it's not based on a true story. Sure there's something resembling period flavor and some nice music but there's really nothing going on here and the central romance is the most contrived and unconvincing one I've seen in ages. Also, why are all the american voice actors in this so terrible?

• Jose González

★★★★½ Watched by Jose González 12 Jul, 2014

Preciosa. Una historia bonita acompañada de una banda sonora maravillosa. Una película de las que acaricia el alma y te hace pasar un muy agradable rato.

• Matt Heiser

★★ Added by Matt Heiser

I have to give the film credit for depicting a story not usually seen in animation, but I just wasn't able to connect with either of the characters, and the setting of 40's jazz world didn't engage me either.

• M. Wilk

★★★ Watched by M. Wilk 17 May, 2014

Wonderful animation that provides vivid sense of place, sound, and time. This movie is about music and the music, sound effects, and sound editing are masterfully wrought. The plot is a bit thin, especially at the end where one of the character acts in a way that I found, frankly, unbelievable.

• ErinTheMiller

★★★ Added by ErinTheMiller

Fell asleep while watching this with Kris over Skype.

Maybe it deserves a second chance.

• gearinger

★★★ Watched by gearinger 01 May, 2014

Good music, so-so story

• Declan

★★★ Added by Declan

What's it about? An animated drama which starts off in Cuba as elderly musician Chico recalls the passionate love affair he had with seductive singer Rita back in the 1940s, as they experienced the music hotspots of Havana, New York and Paris.

Is it any good? I wanted to like this more than I did. The animation is distinctive, the soundtrack is an infectious mix of Cuban and American jazz from the 40s and 50s, and the passion of the…

• Steve Grzesiak

★★½ Watched by Steve Grzesiak 31 Mar, 2014 1

Nice! (Sort of)

Chico & Rita was a pure instinct choice for this evening when browsing through Netflix. I knew absolutely nothing about this one before I stuck it on and I don't really feel as though it was a risk that paid off.

When it comes to being an effective and evocative mode of transport back to pre-Castro Cuba, it seems to work extremely well. Or at least I think it does. Pre-Castro Cuba is not exactly one of my…

• SJHoneywell

★★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

While the story is
    Nothing new, the soundtrack is
    Out of this damn world!