• toxibalba

★★★★½ Watched by toxibalba 14 Dec, 2014

this movie is magical!! if you like cuban music or jazz music, or romance or animation or being sad! I listen to the soundtrack all the time now because i'm a sad little sap. It's in Spanish so you can tell people it's a "foreign film" too which like wow you're so cultured
    ITS A GOOD ONE

• pillole di cinema

★★★ Watched by pillole di cinema 05 Feb, 2014

Con un tratto netto e i colori pieni Chico & Rita raccontano il loro amore tormentato. La tirano un po' per le lunghe, ma gli si vuole bene.

• Chris

★★★ Watched by Chris 06 Dec, 2014

Chico & Rita has a rather predictable plot and no slick animations, but its strengths lie entirely elsewhere.
    It is a movie that is not as polished as standard Hollywood fare, has an original theme and setting to it and feels like it was made with a heart. The music is spot on, as are the settings in 1950s Cuba, NYC and Paris. The human beings in Chico & Rita seem a bit crudely animated, but that does not apply to the backgrounds - the cars, city lights, billboards have all been rendered strikingly beautifuly.
    That alone justifies watching it in my opinion.

• Michael

★★½ Watched by Michael 07 Apr, 2012

The animation of the settings is beautiful and striking. The people are OK. The music is lovely. The story; hit and miss. There were times when I was caught up in the story of these self-destructive lovers who respond to every crisis by fleeing, there were others where I was just tired of it. The ending, especially, betrays the resolve and (relative) independence Rita had displayed throughout the movie for a maudlin, clumsy, and unbelievable resolution.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Chico & Rita

Probably one of beautiful romance-stories with adult-theme (a scene less than 2 minutes, with partial-nudity). I admire the beauty of setting, film in late 40's. Contains melodious music and beautifully sung song by female lead. The film is told in flashback, which is very much impressive word to do, building up anxiety among (us) viewers. There is simply a wonderful work of animation, done on film to keep the its rhythm of vibrant, currency of both Havana and…

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Chico & Rita

• Jesús Placencia

★★★★ Rewatched by Jesús Placencia 23 Oct, 2014

Lovely.

• drpritch

★★★★ Watched by drpritch 05 Oct, 2014

Gorgeous visuals, with a familiar but still engaging story arc.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 11 Oct, 2012

What a beautiful and lovely film this is. Chico & Rita tells a touching and poignant love story, in which music plays an important part in such a way that it became the film's soul. It was a brilliant achievement in animation and a movie where the passion and dedicated effort put in making it can be sensed in every frame. It made a great depiction of Cuba and New York's social and cultural environment during the late '40s and the '50s, and this is one of the movie's biggest accomplishments. The ending wasn't exactly great, but still this film was a big pleasure for me.

• Mike

★★★★ Watched by Mike 16 Sep, 2014

Great stuff, especially if you're a fan of bebop and Latin music. Not surprisingly for a film about Cuban musicians this has lots of it, celebrating not only the craft and the lifestyle but the way we're bound together by the memories of certain compositions. As a romance it's not particularly complex, at times seeming to be more interested in how our couple makes their way first through the nightclub scene of mid-century Cuba and then New York City than…

• Jonathan Edney

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Edney 14 Sep, 2014

A dazzling and vibrant animation that tells of the romance between Chico, a piano player, and Rita, a singer, who meet in Cuba and are drawn to each other through their love of music. The film's colour palette transforms from the vibrant colours of Cuba to the more pale palette of New York and sometimes the particular tint of a club room, such as a brown one at one point and the backgrounds have considerable depth to them, with detailed…

• Philip Kennedy

★★ Watched by Philip Kennedy 13 Sep, 2014

I'd heard a number of good things about this before seeing it so I think my expectations were set somewhat higher than they deserved. Chico and Rita is a pleasant film but I felt that its two central characters lacked the depth needed to really earn the film's ending