• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 11 Oct, 2012

What a beautiful and lovely film this is. Chico & Rita tells a touching and poignant love story, in which music plays an important part in such a way that it became the film's soul. It was a brilliant achievement in animation and a movie where the passion and dedicated effort put in making it can be sensed in every frame. It made a great depiction of Cuba and New York's social and cultural environment during the late '40s and the '50s, and this is one of the movie's biggest accomplishments. The ending wasn't exactly great, but still this film was a big pleasure for me.

• tfbundy

★★★★ Watched by tfbundy 16 Sep, 2014

Great stuff, especially if you're a fan of bebop and Latin music. Not surprisingly for a film about Cuban musicians this has lots of it, celebrating not only the craft and the lifestyle but the way we're bound together by the memories of certain compositions. As a romance it's not particularly complex, at times seeming to be more interested in how our couple makes their way first through the nightclub scene of mid-century Cuba and then New York City than…

• Jonathan Edney

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Edney 14 Sep, 2014

A dazzling and vibrant animation that tells of the romance between Chico, a piano player, and Rita, a singer, who meet in Cuba and are drawn to each other through their love of music. The film's colour palette transforms from the vibrant colours of Cuba to the more pale palette of New York and sometimes the particular tint of a club room, such as a brown one at one point and the backgrounds have considerable depth to them, with detailed…

• Philip Kennedy

★★ Watched by Philip Kennedy 13 Sep, 2014

I'd heard a number of good things about this before seeing it so I think my expectations were set somewhat higher than they deserved. Chico and Rita is a pleasant film but I felt that its two central characters lacked the depth needed to really earn the film's ending

• Matt Thomas

★★★★½ Watched by Matt Thomas 10 Sep, 2014

A beautifully touching story told with excellent animation.

• radiomanhead

★★★★½ Added by radiomanhead

Me ha parecido una de las joyas del año 2010, un romántico homenaje al cine, a un estilo de música y a una forma de vivir, aderezada con buenas dosis de critica social (que pudieron ser mas).

• Jesús Placencia

Watched by Jesús Placencia 04 Sep, 2014

Gorgeous animation, great acting, and amazing music. Beautiful.

• Daniel Escaners

★★★ Watched by Daniel Escaners 01 Sep, 2014

Visualmente tiene un aroma de aventura gráfica que me encanta y la banda sonora no está nada mal, pero el guión es muy flojo, la dirección resulta mejorable y los personajes caen en lo contradictorio y, en ocasiones, en lo insoportable. Es interesante y bonita a ratos, pero también muy mejorable.

• nicksav

★★★★ Added by nicksav

A luscious animated romantic drama that celebrates life, romance and jazz.

• sailordanae

★★★★ Watched by sailordanae 10 Aug, 2014

This is a wonderful, touching, and often frustrating love story. Our two leads meet, fall in love, fall apart, and drift in and out of each other's lives as they are never able to forget the other or stop loving them.

It has good animation, in a different kind of style and design than one is used to seeing (at least here in the states), and though one can tell it used a computer, it doesn't look it, appearing closer…

• Emilio J. Barrero

★★★★ Added by Emilio J. Barrero

Natural, delicada y pasional. Una historia sobre dos amantes -y las dificultades que el destino cruza en sus caminos- que te atrapa desde el primer minuto y que no deja indiferente. Además posee una banda sonora armónica y sensual.
    Lágrima de felicidad asegurada.

• Atlinator

★★ Watched by Atlinator 27 Jul, 2014

I guess the combination of animation and art-house "prestige" material is enough for some people to consider this great cinema. What I saw was a crudely animated movie that dragged even at 90 minutes and it somehow manages to be more shapeless than most biopics even if it's not based on a true story. Sure there's something resembling period flavor and some nice music but there's really nothing going on here and the central romance is the most contrived and unconvincing one I've seen in ages. Also, why are all the american voice actors in this so terrible?