• jto111

★★★★ Added by jto111

A beautiful animation with great music.

• PleinSoleil

★★★ Watched by PleinSoleil 30 Jan, 2016

Film #29 of the 2016 New Year, New Scavenger Hunt Challenge!
    Task #30: A Film Featuring Adult Animation

Chico and Rita is a film with great atmosphere and some very heartfelt moments. It has a wonderful depiction of very cuban jazz music that's mixed and inserted well into the storyline. While I was rooting for this film by all counts, I struggled to connect to the story as I wanted to. The second act is structurally unfocused and reliant on…

• Marcos Araujo

★★★½ Watched by Marcos Araujo 20 Jan, 2016

Belas músicas com um final surpreendente...

• Amy G

★★★½ Added by Amy G

This was allllllll about the story and the music. The animation was just a vehicle to tell us what's happening. It's essentially a love story that spans these two people's lives and it's stunning.

My only complaint is that it's too long for what it is.

• Gustavo Menezes

★★★½ Watched by Gustavo Menezes 30 Dec, 2015

Animação muito bonita e envolvente. Gostei muito da sequência a la "On the Town". Só achei que a história corre muito na segunda metade, e a espera de Rita soa totalmente irreal. Mas é um prato cheio pros amantes de jazz das décadas 40 e 50.

• Clint Luciantonio

★★½ Watched by Clint Luciantonio 23 Aug, 2015

Credit where credit is due, Chico and Rita has a lot going for it. The soundtrack is spectacular, blending various genres and eras of jazz together, punctuating the ever turbulent relationship of the titular characters. A love letter to the genre that made Cuba and New York the centrepieces of culture in the post war period, Chico and Rita becomes a wonderful tribute to the influence that this music had on people of the time. Excellently arranged and mixed, the…

• josef2014

★★½ Watched by josef2014 02 Dec, 2015

5.0

• ebmsp

★★★★★ Watched by ebmsp 03 Nov, 2015

As Don Draper might say, it's not a movie--it's a time machine. Totally immersive, as both musical & romance--tropes be damned. Whenever I feel disheartened by the current state of cinema, all I need to remember is there are gems like this one still being made.

• Patrick Mulcahy

★★ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 06 Oct, 2010

An elderly Cuban hears a song he recorded half a century ago and reflects on his life as a piano player in pre-revolutionary Havana.

This is the slender premise of the feature, Chico and Rita, which uses animation to replace the production values of a Hollywood musical – albeit one with ‘brief nudity and a sex sequence’ as the censor report states. A collaboration between artist Javier Mariscal, the Oscar-winning director of Belle Epoque, Fernando Trueba and pop-promo director Tono…

• russman

★★★½ Watched by russman 06 Oct, 2015

embargoat

• Bethany

★★★ Watched by Bethany 13 Sep, 2015

Beautifully animated and it's always lovely to see an animated adult story. But I suspect it was probably not totally for me due to how I am not a particularly big fan of the style of music. However, that's clearly all on me. It's certainly worth watching.

• kike herrmann

★★★ Watched by kike herrmann 13 Sep, 2015

Exquisita y delicada.
    Aun siendo de animación, esta tratada en todo como una película de acción real. Planos y movimientos de camara estan realizados con esmero y cuidado, para darnos la mayor sensación posible de realismo.
    Aunque el dibujo es tosco es realmente de una belleza admirables. Las ciudades de Nueva York y de La Habana quedan maginificamente retratadas.
    La historia de amor es sencilla pero convence.

Una gran película de animación española. Por cierto, la música jazz de la película de Bebo Valdés es extraordinaria.