• Daniel

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel 31 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Halfway through Chico and Rita, I thought I had it pegged: same old love story with a unique perspective via wonderful animation and a musical backdrop. Then, something fascinating happened: Chico and his brother walked into a small cellar and watched a jazz quartet. Given that Chico came to New York to play piano, this by itself is not a big surprise. It was who was on stage that was remarkable: some of the most renowned musicians of the past…

• Rachael

★★★★ Watched by Rachael 09 Jul, 2015

What makes this animated film is the score/soundtrack. It's so catchy filled with jazz galore. It will definitely make you want to find someone to dance with immediately.

The story itself was beautiful. It was awesome seeing an animated film be more than laughs and playful things geared towards children. I'd recommend seeing this.

• TJ Duane

★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 07 Jul, 2015

A rushed ending (much like the last film I watched) hurts Chico & Rita a lot (with quite a bit of convenience folded into the plot) but the central romance is really strong and caries the movie. The look into 40s and 50s (?) Jazz and Latin music is a lot of fun, "jazzing" up this film and giving it a sexiness that I wasn't expecting going into it.

Recommended.

• Matt

★★★½ Watched by Matt 19 May, 2015 2

There's a slim chance that you've seen any animated films geared towards adult audiences, aside from the Family Guy, South Park-esque comedies and hentai. So, I feel incredibly lucky to have seen Chico y Rita, which clearly establishes the endless possibilities that animated movies, outside the realm of Disney, could have. Unfortunately, this Spanish Oscar-nominee isn't a fully realised effort, squandering an interesting premise for a predictable love story and relying heavily on its neat soundtrack, one that isn't powerful…

• Agnis

★★ Watched by Agnis 11 Apr, 2015

Only marginally better animation that A Cat In Paris and the story isn't particularily interesting either.

• Lucciano Vezina

★★★ Watched by Lucciano Vezina 07 Apr, 2015

March Around The World Challenge #7-Spain
    There are times where the story goes goes a little over the top and the English bits do come off cheesy, however Chico and Rita does offer visually stunning animation that is a feast for the eyes for lovers of animation and a top notch soundtrack.

• Paukzen

★★★ Watched by Paukzen 18 Sep, 2011

Strehler

• Tom Morton

★★★½ Watched by Tom Morton 24 Mar, 2015

30 Countries in 30 Days #25: Spain

A colourful romance set against the Cuban jazz scene of the 1940s, Chico & Rita recreates the vibrant atmosphere of the era through animation. I've seen some criticism of the art style (here and elsewhere) but I thought it did a great job of conveying the improvisation and liveliness of the soundtrack, and I appreciated the attempt to do something different. It's not always perfect - some scenes are gorgeous, but others look cheap,…

• Gonçalo

★½ Watched by Gonçalo 20 Mar, 2015

An ordinary love story told in the form of an animated movie. I can't understand the nomination for best animated movie at the oscars.

• Zach Evans

★★★½ Watched by Zach Evans 16 Mar, 2015

It's a nice, breezy sort of star crossed lovers story. The animation is pretty interesting, with the flat, blobby characters standing out against the lush watercolor backgrounds. Good to watch on a lazy Monday morning.

• Sam

★★★★ Watched by Sam 16 Mar, 2015

Just lovely.

• JoseIgnacioWert

★★★ Added by JoseIgnacioWert

Trueba y Mariscal –junto al generalmente omitido Tono Errando- se metieron al mundo en el bolsillo con esta sugerente cinta de animación. El trazo del creador de Cobi resplandece sobre la pantalla, y la historia tiene cierto interés, por más que resulte algo estirada en forma de largometraje. Por no hablar de la música.

Una cinta sobrevalorada, pero disfrutable.