• ebmsp

★★★★★ Watched by ebmsp 03 Nov, 2015

As Don Draper might say, it's not a movie--it's a time machine. Totally immersive, as both musical & romance--tropes be damned. Whenever I feel disheartened by the current state of cinema, all I need to remember is there are gems like this one still being made.

• Patrick Mulcahy

★★ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 06 Oct, 2010

An elderly Cuban hears a song he recorded half a century ago and reflects on his life as a piano player in pre-revolutionary Havana.

This is the slender premise of the feature, Chico and Rita, which uses animation to replace the production values of a Hollywood musical – albeit one with ‘brief nudity and a sex sequence’ as the censor report states. A collaboration between artist Javier Mariscal, the Oscar-winning director of Belle Epoque, Fernando Trueba and pop-promo director Tono…

• russman

★★★½ Watched by russman 06 Oct, 2015

• Bethany

★★★ Watched by Bethany 13 Sep, 2015

Beautifully animated and it's always lovely to see an animated adult story. But I suspect it was probably not totally for me due to how I am not a particularly big fan of the style of music. However, that's clearly all on me. It's certainly worth watching.

• kike herrmann

★★★ Watched by kike herrmann 13 Sep, 2015

Exquisita y delicada.
    Aun siendo de animación, esta tratada en todo como una película de acción real. Planos y movimientos de camara estan realizados con esmero y cuidado, para darnos la mayor sensación posible de realismo.
    Aunque el dibujo es tosco es realmente de una belleza admirables. Las ciudades de Nueva York y de La Habana quedan maginificamente retratadas.
    La historia de amor es sencilla pero convence.

Una gran película de animación española. Por cierto, la música jazz de la película de Bebo Valdés es extraordinaria.

• ni pli

★½ Watched by ni pli 06 Sep, 2015 3

ομορφη αλλα χαζη, ποια μου θυμιζει

• Cait Cibulsky

★★★½ Watched by Cait Cibulsky 17 Nov, 2012

[side-eye emoji] this doesn't deserve as many stars as I gave it tbh, because Rita deserved a lot better than this narrative treatment. But it was very beautiful, and the music was excellent as well. But really. I want better for Rita.

• Daniel

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel 31 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Halfway through Chico and Rita, I thought I had it pegged: same old love story with a unique perspective via wonderful animation and a musical backdrop. Then, something fascinating happened: Chico and his brother walked into a small cellar and watched a jazz quartet. Given that Chico came to New York to play piano, this by itself is not a big surprise. It was who was on stage that was remarkable: some of the most renowned musicians of the past…

• Rachael

★★★★ Watched by Rachael 09 Jul, 2015

What makes this animated film is the score/soundtrack. It's so catchy filled with jazz galore. It will definitely make you want to find someone to dance with immediately.

The story itself was beautiful. It was awesome seeing an animated film be more than laughs and playful things geared towards children. I'd recommend seeing this.

• TJ Duane

★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 07 Jul, 2015

A rushed ending (much like the last film I watched) hurts Chico & Rita a lot (with quite a bit of convenience folded into the plot) but the central romance is really strong and caries the movie. The look into 40s and 50s (?) Jazz and Latin music is a lot of fun, "jazzing" up this film and giving it a sexiness that I wasn't expecting going into it.

• Matt

★★★½ Watched by Matt 19 May, 2015 2

There's a slim chance that you've seen any animated films geared towards adult audiences, aside from the Family Guy, South Park-esque comedies and hentai. So, I feel incredibly lucky to have seen Chico y Rita, which clearly establishes the endless possibilities that animated movies, outside the realm of Disney, could have. Unfortunately, this Spanish Oscar-nominee isn't a fully realised effort, squandering an interesting premise for a predictable love story and relying heavily on its neat soundtrack, one that isn't powerful…

• Agnis

★★ Watched by Agnis 11 Apr, 2015

Only marginally better animation that A Cat In Paris and the story isn't particularily interesting either.