• Jose González

★★★★½ Watched by Jose González 12 Jul, 2014

Preciosa. Una historia bonita acompañada de una banda sonora maravillosa. Una película de las que acaricia el alma y te hace pasar un muy agradable rato.

• Matt Heiser

★★ Added by Matt Heiser

I have to give the film credit for depicting a story not usually seen in animation, but I just wasn't able to connect with either of the characters, and the setting of 40's jazz world didn't engage me either.

• M. Wilk

★★★ Watched by M. Wilk 17 May, 2014

Wonderful animation that provides vivid sense of place, sound, and time. This movie is about music and the music, sound effects, and sound editing are masterfully wrought. The plot is a bit thin, especially at the end where one of the character acts in a way that I found, frankly, unbelievable.

• ErinTheMiller

★★★ Added by ErinTheMiller

Fell asleep while watching this with Kris over Skype.

Maybe it deserves a second chance.

• gearinger

★★★ Watched by gearinger 01 May, 2014

Good music, so-so story

• Declan

★★★ Added by Declan

What's it about? An animated drama which starts off in Cuba as elderly musician Chico recalls the passionate love affair he had with seductive singer Rita back in the 1940s, as they experienced the music hotspots of Havana, New York and Paris.

Is it any good? I wanted to like this more than I did. The animation is distinctive, the soundtrack is an infectious mix of Cuban and American jazz from the 40s and 50s, and the passion of the…

• Steve Grzesiak

★★½ Watched by Steve Grzesiak 31 Mar, 2014 1

Nice! (Sort of)

Chico & Rita was a pure instinct choice for this evening when browsing through Netflix. I knew absolutely nothing about this one before I stuck it on and I don't really feel as though it was a risk that paid off.

When it comes to being an effective and evocative mode of transport back to pre-Castro Cuba, it seems to work extremely well. Or at least I think it does. Pre-Castro Cuba is not exactly one of my…

• SJHoneywell

★★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

While the story is
    Nothing new, the soundtrack is
    Out of this damn world!

• AlecinRealLife

★★★½ Watched by AlecinRealLife 26 Mar, 2014

The music and animation for this are absolutely gorgeous. The love story was a bit contrived, and I found Chico's pursuing a bit overboard at times, but it's a lovely journey through the sights and sounds of that era.

• panikoval500

★★★★ Added by panikoval500

χάρμα

• Bob Hovey

★★★★½ Watched by Bob Hovey 10 Dec, 2013

A beaten-down old man who shines shoes on the streets of Havana trudges home to his small apartment. As he pours a drink and stares out his window over the rooftops, a classic jazz song by Chico and Rita comes on the radio. Suddenly it is the early 1950's and the old man is the young and handsome jazz pianist Chico, and he's just laid eyes on singer Rita for the first time. So begins this beautiful and poignant animated…

• kylegarvey

★★★★½ Added by kylegarvey

A predictable and pat musical odyssey and unrequited love story, but an astonishing piece of art. The animation, blending minimalism and ultra-detail, looks great and is matched to some of the loveliest, sultriest jazz I've ever heard. Nominated for the 2011 Best Animated Feature Oscar (but beat out by the much shallower RANGO), CHICO & RITA has a feel of Oscar bait about it -- a little bit facile, indulgent, passable -- but the visuals and music are so jaw-dropping and…