• Malcolm

★★★ Watched by Malcolm 25 Mar, 2015

I absolutely hate it when films ignore contextual realism for practicalities. This film's ignorance of their own reality does not make me invested in the characters or the themes. Very overrated, in my opinion.

I may change my mind on a second viewing, though.

• David Gutierrez

★★★½ Added by David Gutierrez

Children of Men is a sci-fi drama about a dystopian future where women can't concieve presented in the form of an action film. And while I really liked the drama, the chaotic portrayal of the future and of the people struggling to survive and the humanism and appropiate optimism of the ending, I felt that the actual action film (or thriller if you prefer to see it that way) was a distraction that took most of the protagonism and didn't let the aspects of Children of Life that really work shine as they could have.

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

The movie flows in set pieces that make it seem like an Uncharted-style video game, enveloping you in its drama in the process. It's a dystopian thriller about a single woman's journey in safely bringing her child - the first baby born in 18 years - to freedom, and at the same time a celebration of the importance of life. A whole movie successfully based around the adage that we don't fully appreciate things until they're not there.

Next there's the sequel "Teenagers of Men" when the last baby on earth has angst and doesn't want to fulfill their very important role.

• Cactus Matt

★★★★★ Added by Cactus Matt

Blinding brilliant dystopian science fiction thriller that is masterfully directed and stays with you years after watching. Absolutely unmissable.

• Anders Bergstrom

★★★★★ Rewatched by Anders Bergstrom 19 Mar, 2015

I ranked this as one of my top 10 films of the first decade of the 2000s, but it's been a good seven or more years since I've watched it. I wasn't prepared for the sight of a girl carrying a baby bringing a war zone to a stand-still to leave me weeping. It's still as good as I remembered. Maybe better.

• Fred Anderson

★★★★ Added by Fred Anderson

A great remake of American Cyborg!

• Red Ford

★★★★½ Watched by Red Ford 13 Mar, 2015

i don't know why i'm not giving this 5 stars.

• John Roberts

★★★★ Added by John Roberts

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

When that baby came out I freaked.

• mathshop24

★★½ Watched by mathshop24 16 Mar, 2015

Visually stunning with excellent performances from the cast. The world building was also fantastic though I found the story a little bit lacking and there wasn't as much character development as I would have liked. I have a feeling the book is much better if you're looking for a better exploration of some of the political and social themes.

• Tarryn-tino

★★★★ Rewatched by Tarryn-tino 15 Mar, 2015

"As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in. Very odd, what happens in a world without children's voices."

I loved this film the first time I saw it and the second, third and now, six years since the last time I watched it, the fourth time I've seen it :-) its such an interesting concept and one that is executed fantastically!

There are some amazing shots, that took my breath away watching it last night, something that…

• Alex Tărău

★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Tărău 13 Mar, 2015

The direction and cinematography of this film is breathtaking; you really feel that you are there, suffering with the characters in a world that's degenerated into Hell. Clive Owen's performance is superb as the camera rarely leaves him, his character being the sole focus of the story as he finally finds something to believe in again. On first viewing, I must admit that I found the ending unsatisfactory which marred my enjoyment of the film, but on a rewatch I…

• Courtney Banh

★★★★ Watched by Courtney Banh 11 Mar, 2015

Children of Men is pure eye candy, the ultimate Cuarón-Lubezki teamwork in visuals. It's also one of the most stressful movies I have ever watched.