• JJ

★★★★★ Watched by JJ 08 Apr, 2014

Citizen Kane is, without at doubt, a cinematic masterpiece. It is brilliantly filmed and acted. It is the perfect example of a film where nothing is superfluous--every single element contributes to the big picture of what the film is about: an empty life.

But I really can't say that I "liked" the film very much. The story is very depressing and there really are no likable characters. Still, I can see why many consider it one of the greatest films ever made

• thonika

★★★★★ Added by thonika

it may not be your favorite movie, but it is justifiably the greatest film ever

• Eri

★★★★★ Watched by Eri 22 Jul, 2014

Well, you've already heard everything there is to say about Citizen Kane so I can't give you anything new, but my fucking God--what an adventure to experience. Sometimes, I don't even care about the story of Kane or his legacy or the mystery surrounding "Rosebud," I just want to look at the film due to its unparalleled craftsmanship. What a treat to have it in 4K resolution.

• TheRantAsArt

★★★★★ Rewatched by TheRantAsArt 20 Jul, 2014

Hailed as one of the greatest films ever made, Orson Welles' 1941 debut certainly stands out among films of the period, and even among modern films. It's unique not only in its appearance, utilizing deep focus and gorgeous lighting, but also in its storytelling style, editing and camerawork. Welles did things in his directorial debut that NOBODY was doing in Hollywood pictures at the time, but by the end of the 1940s almost all major productions had adopted aspects of…

• Julius

★★★★★ Rewatched by Julius 20 Jul, 2014

"Maybe he told us all about himself on his deathbed."

"Yeah, maybe he didn't."

• Kevin Huang

★★★★★ Added by Kevin Huang

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• MatthewLB

★★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 19 Jul, 2014

"Rosebud". This masterpiece is about a news conglomerate leader dies, leaving behind a mystery about his life, and how he became the man he was. News reporters interview his acquaintances to find some kind of resolution. This movie is a master class film with jaw drooping scenes like the opening scene when Mr. Kane is in bed holding a snow globe he his hand and then before he died he whisper the words "Rosebud" and dies, and that's just the opening to the movie. The directing is fantastic but the actors in the film was the best part of this cult classic.

• MONDONGO

★★★★ Added by MONDONGO

its citizen kane, some of the acting from joesph cotten irked me though

• max_vasquez

★★★★★ Added by max_vasquez

Although the cinematic aspects of this film were very astounding for the time, the technological advances of the modern era have jaded me to the extant that i had a hard time appreciated how well this film was made with very simple techniques. I was however very appreciative of fantastic story line and how the film was far ahead of its time with its style of narrative.

• Dante

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dante 15 Jul, 2014

Rant time! Last night I went to this nice little hole in the wall called the Brattle theater. They were playing a 35mm Orson Welles double feature: Kane and Ambersons. The movies, of course, were brilliant. The audience was.... well....

Okay, not everybody was awful, but a select few were. And they weren't texting or talking either. They were, however, laughing. Laughing at the greatest film of all time. Whenever Dorothy Comingore squeaked, they tittered; whenever Welles gave an over-dramatic…

• Aljosa

★★★★½ Watched by Aljosa 13 Jul, 2014

God damn. Great stuff.

lol that poster though. wtf

• Ripplin

★★★★½ Added by Ripplin

This is one of those ones where you hear so much about it that you feel you might be disappointed in it after all the hype, but no, this is thoroughly engaging throughout! It really is terrific, as that poster says. ;)