• Rainus Melo

½ Watched by Rainus Melo 17 Apr, 2015

Why is this movie so famous?
    Why is this movie so boring?

If I could say a word about this movie - it would not be Rosebud - but LAME. Really, I've seen older movies with better plots and histories that are way more interesting than this one. What a waste of my time.

• Joanna_Hersey

★★★★★ Added by Joanna_Hersey

A groundbreaking film that propelled the film industry forward and helped define the taste of audiences worldwide through its many innovations created by the collaboration between Welles and cinematographer Greg Toland. Centering on a story about a reporter searching for the meaning of a newspaper tycoon’s life, "Citizen Kane" is a film that has stood the test of time.

• mvj

★★★★ Rewatched by mvj 15 Apr, 2015

watched with Ebert commentary - highly recommend this viewing experience!

• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

Yes, on so many levels, it's a masterpiece. Yes, its technical achievements are breathtaking, the acting exemplary, the narrative fascinating. But, in some ways, this much mooted "best film of all time" left me a little cold. Perhaps it's simply TOO good?

• Richard Bellamy

★★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Bellamy 13 Apr, 2015

This film is a perfect composition. There is no excess in its 119 minutes of length - and it packs a lot of story and a lot to think about within its beautifully edited framework. I never get tired of watching it.

• JohnAllegretti

Watched by JohnAllegretti 16 Dec, 2014

QVCC Library - DVD

• Hara

★★★★ Added by Hara

Citizen Kane's Rosebud mystery was interesting and fun, and not obvious at all in my opinion. I don't know if there is some sort of historical significance, or if I'm just missing something, but I can't see how this was the greatest film ever made. Not that it's bad, no no. I just compare it to other film classics and wonder why they -apparently- don't compare to this movie?
    I'm just guessing I'm not seeing some bigger picture here but for now, it's a 4/5 from me. :)

• Banners

★★★★½ Watched by Banners 01 Apr, 2015

'Rosebud.'

I don't think Citizen Kane is the best film ever. It is a little too ponderous at times and its opening twenty minutes doesn't fire the imagination like the rest of the film. If it were pitched today, it would need a significant rewrite to tailor it to an impatient modern audience. However, I do think that Citizen Kane is undeniably worthy of a place among the best.

It is hard to know what to praise Orson Welles for…

• Reece Leonard

★★★★★ Watched by Reece Leonard 18 Feb, 2015

It's easy to see why so many have labeled Kane as "the best ever"; it certainly sums up more than a few general truths about the human condition better than any film I've ever seen. Although there's enough intellectual fodder here to last any critic a lifetime, it would seem fitting (given Wells' entire body of work that touched on similar subjects) to read it as a critique of the corruption that stems from the capitalistic setting in which the…

• ApeLincoln

★★★★★ Watched by ApeLincoln 08 Apr, 2015

As good as everyone says.

• Chris

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris 04 Apr, 2015

"SQWUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!"

As the movie winds down, I wind up. I know it's coming. A few other people know it's coming. Most of the crowd doesn't have a clue. The scene changes. Dozens of people shriek in terror as the enormous bird with the knocked out eye scares the hell of them.

I feel like I've just been in on a great practical joke from a master of practical jokes.

Thanks, Orson.

• Marconne Sousa

★★★★★ Added by Marconne Sousa

um filme esteticamente lindo, com uma direção impecável.
    Conta a história de um homem ganancioso, que não se importa com os sentimentos alheios, mas quer ser amado por todos. Vê-se no filme sua excentricidade inicial ser substituída por uma necessidade de poder, a atemporalidade desta história é ainda reafirmada em uma cena onde é mostrado o seu casamento através dos anos, vê-se o humor leve se transformar em dureza e impaciência. É uma história de ascensão e queda em vários…