• Joe Gola

★★★★½ Added by Joe Gola

Dazzling — the visual storytelling with its subjective perspective and stream-of-consciousness editing is simply amazing, and the sense of literary hyperreality that it maintains has rarely been matched.

Why only four and a half stars, then? The reason is that, for all its cleverness, there is an undertone of falseness to the writing and acting, a kind of corniness or superficiality that lacks real warmth or empathy. This quality is present in all of Welles’s work, I think (the only…

• Louis-Charles

★★★★ Watched by Louis-Charles 22 Nov, 2015

It's terrific indeed!

• Kamil

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kamil 29 Nov, 2015

Roger Ebert's commentary elevates my watching experience to something truly unforgettable.
    Makes me sad about all the other things I'm constantly missing in movies.

• Ollie_8

★★★★½ Added by Ollie_8

• ItsDieselTime

★★★★ Rewatched by ItsDieselTime 14 Nov, 2015

Another classic I saw as a teenager and didn't recall much. Originally saw this in the cinema with simultaneous translation to my native language and the translator left for about 15 minutes in the middle of the film, not fun! Watched it again with some basic knowledge of film direction. The story holds up very well and the jumping back and forth between different time periods feels quite natural. Among the film techniques I noticed in particular were the use…

• Daniel Melvill Jones

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Melvill Jones 21 Oct, 2015

Oh my son, remember the image of the vast caverns of treasures, abandoned and useless, wanted by no one. Such too are your books.

• Aadya

★★★ Added by Aadya

Its Boring and Long and its lacks emotions. It doesn't move me in any way or get me involved ..no matter how much critically appreciated.it is Just a one time watch for me..!!

• Colin the dude

★★★★★ Rewatched by Colin the dude 22 Nov, 2015 2

I cued the Olivia Newton-John right when Kane starts destroying the room and it was pretty surreal, like Dark Side of the Rainbow surreal.

♪The dream, that came through a million years, that lived on through all the tears (cut to extreme Kane closeup, teary-eyed), It came to Xanaduuuuuuuuuu♪

• getflecked

★★★★½ Watched by getflecked 03 Jul, 2015

I myself was curious to know the meaning behind it.

The ending made by jaw drop. Just saying.

Along with the performances, writing, direction, cinematography, narrative, drama, and pacing.

Perfect for its time. A near-perfect masterpiece.

However, I do think Susan was an annoying and untalented tit. The actress portraying her did a hammy job.

Grade: A (4.7/5)

• Gabriel Guimarães

★★★★★ Watched by Gabriel Guimarães 21 Nov, 2015 1

Week 18 of the Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16: Cahiers du cinéma Week
    My list.

There was nobody in the room to hear Kane saying "Rosebud", and I can't get over that.

Apart from that, it's perfect.

• Steven Wilkins

½ Added by Steven Wilkins

I haven't seen it so that means that it's bad.

• Thomas Wishloff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Thomas Wishloff 17 Nov, 2015

Someone should make a dub of that random parrot screech overtop of that Slim Shady Song.