• M. Katherine Rhodes

★★★★ Watched by M. Katherine Rhodes 23 Nov, 2015

One of those perplexing works which defies any initial assessment on my part, requiring some days, weeks, months (years?) to process how I actually feel about it.

The indisputable high point is the subway scene: a brilliantly painful and honest portrait of the unsolvable anxiety, sublimated violence and crippling detachment of modernity and urban living.

• Spikes_of_Fury

★★★★ Rewatched by Spikes_of_Fury 25 Nov, 2015

I like to think the kid in the final shot is pantomiming the process of watching a great film and being affected by it.

• sukmypkd

★★★ Rewatched by sukmypkd 23 Nov, 2015

An expertly woven tale about nothing and maybe everything. The first time I saw this I enjoyed it, but it was mostly the pacing and acting. This time around I picked up a lot nore subtle motifs reflecting society and culture. How we see each other vs. who we really are. And are we what we think we are? Once again, subtlety is key in Code Unknown and it is so well crafted that it deserves at least a few…

• Mark Hurne

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark Hurne 23 Nov, 2015

Reviewed with co-host Aaron West on our Criterion Close-Up podcast:

• dizzy4111

★★★★½ Watched by dizzy4111 19 Nov, 2015

It's borderline amazing how Haneke is able to send this thing in to so many different directions, at a moment's notice, while still keeping the overarching message of racial inequality and intolerance in plain view.

I'm never less than impressed with him.

• Gregory Day

★★★★ Watched by Gregory Day 23 Nov, 2015

Extremely relevant today as it was fifteen years ago upon release. The ten minute or so one take right out of the gate is one of Hanake's highest achievements.

• Tom Sheridan

Rewatched by Tom Sheridan 22 Nov, 2015

One of Haneke's best, and I don't say that lightly.

Code Unknown is in the particularly interesting vein he has tackled several times, before and since: the humanity and lack thereof found in social (and oftentimes mutually unaware) relationships fostered by proximity in a location where repeated contact does not equate to awareness or concern.

It's the sort of existence that ensures humanistic concerns are impossible to universally maintain, if only because of constant exposure to misery. If you walk…

• RMRM

★★★½ Watched by RMRM 20 Nov, 2015

An interesting and very well-made movie, but it's ultimately a disappointment given Haneke's track record. The movie itself is about how human beings react to each other, and it might be Haneke's most philosophical work to date. Haneke's movies always ask the audience "what do you think?" and it has never been more true than in this movie, where we are able to be impartial observers to a world full of people with their own prejudices. A scene about failure…

• TJ Duane

★★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 19 Nov, 2015

How timely is this?

• Adryon Thomas

★★★★½ Watched by Adryon Thomas 18 Nov, 2015

This film is so real that it's almost scary. But this film is about reality. So does that mean reality is scary? You're damn right; it's fucking terrifying. This film transcends the form of film. It's like watching a documentary without feeling like watching a documentary. The camerawork is pretty awesome, and the acting genuine. This film is anti-suspenseful, but life's anti-suspenseful. When something happens, it happens. And most of the times we fall flat. This film shows humanity falling flat, and it's amazing. Haneke is genius, and this film is smarter than you think.

• Michiel Venmans

★★★½ Watched by Michiel Venmans 15 Nov, 2015

Code Inconnu
    (Michael Haneke)

Veel sterke scenes die spelen met het perspectief van de kijker en de relatie documentaire/realiteit wederom in vraag stelt. Ik moet de film nog eens zien om meer te ontdekken en te begrijpen.

• Matthew Lingo

★★★★ Watched by Matthew Lingo 13 Nov, 2015

As expected, this ended up being a fine choice for last night; it observes Paris (and Europe) with Haneke's usual precision. I'd love to see him make something like this again, anxious and roving where the other Haneke films I've seen have been punishingly austere. At times it reminded me of MARGARET as it expanded to take in an entire city and its people.