• Lena Houst

★★★★ Rewatched by Lena Houst 09 Sep, 2014

Will make you furiously angry, for either the right or wrong reasons.

Suffocating indictment of privileged French society, careless of the weak, old or inferior, embracing the young, beautiful and possessive. In context of recent (or ever-present nowadays) shootings of unarmed black men, the first long-take scene is crushing. Admittedly it may make no sense upon first viewing, but feels more conveniently immersive roughly knowing its beats.

Not sure I've ever hated a Binoche character this much and felt quite fine about that.

• ab

★★★½ Added by ab

Haneke is a director famed for his uncompromising vision and provoking, cold, alienating style. It's why he is considered by many as one of the greatest living directors working today, and why he is one of my favourite directors of all time.

In Code Unknown however, I unfortunately felt a little distanced by what he was trying to do. Like Haneke's previous masterpiece 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance, he uses an ensemble narrative to present his commentary on…

• Adam

★★★½ Watched by Adam 03 Jun, 2014

Still unsure what to make of it but it seems like an experiment in film-making for Haneke, and it works. A somewhat connected series of vignettes that are all beautiful within themselves. Nearly every vignette is composed of a single long-shot that is crafted superbly. Having said that, I'm still not sure what to make of it as a whole. I would still recommend to fans of Haneke's work.

• Lee

★★★★ Watched by Lee 10 Jul, 2014

Describing Code Unknown an anthology piece as its physical presentation suggests belittles the power of Haneke’s masterstroke, really. Sequences are displayed initially with no coherent narrative or structure binding them, but gradually the themes explored in each overlap even despite the stark contrast in certain settings. As always with Haneke films, there’s a subtly to proceedings and the director manages to explore dark themes of respect, death, and supremacy without ever bashing it over your head repeatedly. I wasn’t prepared…

• inri222

★★★★ Watched by inri222 21 Jun, 2014

Michael Haneke's fractured film about people from different backgrounds and the problems caused by miscommunication between them. Not one of Haneke's best but still a good film with some amazing sequences and a good performance from Juliette Binoche.

• Felipe

★★★★ Added by Felipe

When Michael Haneke begins a movie with a happy character you know you should be worried. The title is accurate, both parts: the code is in fact unknown and every journey in this film is incomplete. In a way, even though the film deliberately does not complete its stories, there is a palpable sense of tragedy by the time it's over. In part, I attribute the remarkable effectiveness of the film to Juliette Binoche's perfect performance as the first happy…

• fulci420

Added by fulci420

Taking a very similar approach to Haneke's earlier work "71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance". That is it is made up of largely unrelated vignettes following the going on's of various characters.

We open and close with deaf children and right away we are hit with the ambiguous nature of this film. What are they trying to express, and to a larger extent what is Haneke trying to express with these images. While I see clues throughout (the disconnecting…

• Cliff

★★½ Watched by Cliff 28 May, 2014

Although one of Haneke's lesser works - one of those in which it doesn't feel as though he's making much of a point - Code Unknown has several elements that could've made a great film. Firstly, there's his formal daring, with some lengthy single-take, single-camera mini-dramas that recall his masterful debut, The Seventh Continent. The scene in which Juliette Binoche's Anne is harassed on a Metro train is electrifying, while the 9-minute street scene that introduces most of the main…

• Rodney Sedgwick

★★★★½ Watched by Rodney Sedgwick 25 May, 2014

''Is the fragment the aesthetic response to the incomplete nature of our perception?'''
    -Michael Haneke

Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys

I am already excited for another viewing!

Review pending...

• Audrey Karloff

★★★ Watched by Audrey Karloff 25 May, 2014

Those three stars are a temporary place-holder. Right this minute, I feel like I missed something, and will definitely have to watch it again. I did notice something, though...am I wrong, or between those big ugly cuts was every scene a single shot? I only started noticing that halfway through, but that's what it looked like. I like the technique.

• Barnaby Walter

★★★★ Rewatched by Barnaby Walter 15 May, 2014

Unnerving and upsetting. Superbly done.

A note on the viewing: Viewed in Standard Definition on DVD, upscaled to High Definition at 1080p resolution. The upscaled SD image is ok, but the transfer is not great. There are even film-lines and signs of damage; something you wouldn't expect from a film from 2000. Artificial Eye - how about a nice remastered Blu-ray?!

• Topictag

★★★½ Watched by Topictag 10 Apr, 2014

Vom Leben gelernt: für eine Zugfahrt besser keinen Haneken Film einpacken, wenn man keine misstrauischen Blicke der Mitreisenden auf dem Bildschirm kleben haben möchte.
    Wie das bei Haneken nunmal so ist: der Film ist ein genialer Einblick in die dunkele Seite der Psyche und wie ein Unfall. Man liebt es nicht, aber man kann auch nicht weggucken.

Code Unknown ist ein Hardcore-Episodenfilm. Mit Sequenzen zwischen 5 und 10 Minuten und harten Cuts auch mal mitten im Satz. Fantastisch gemacht, auch in Hinblick auf das Zusammenspiel der Episoden.