• Bob P

★★★½ Watched by Bob P 28 Mar, 2015

Troll hard, Drunken Cat, troll hard

• QED

★★★★ Watched by QED 13 Feb, 2015

Directed by King Hu this film stars Cheng Pei-Pei, Yueh Hua, Chan Hung-lit and Lee Wan-chung. A young woman sets off to rescue her brother from bandits and is assisted along the way by a wandering drunk.

The plot of this film is pretty simple but it is nice to see an early use of a female protagonist especially when it's one that is a serious butt kicker like this. While there might not really be much depth to the…

• Matt Reifschneider

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Reifschneider 05 Feb, 2015

King Hu's final film for Shaw Brothers is a massively epic and unique film, blending in a more artistic samurai style of film making with the blooming wuxia and kung fu films of the the studio. It's charming, twisty, and something of a martial arts experience to watch.

• Robert Knaus

★★★★ Added by Robert Knaus

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

When it comes to what Western audiences think of as "kung-fu movies", the Shaw Bros. studio is undoubtedly the king, churning out literally hundreds of martial arts films during the 1960's and 70's. A whole generation of youngsters cut their teeth on these films back in the day (usually in horrendously-dubbed, visually cruddy prints shown at drive-in double features). Hell, Quentin Tarantino built an entire two-movie epic based on his misspent youth with his hyper-violent Kill Bill saga (even opening…

• David Koenig

★★★½ Added by David Koenig

Come Drink With Me (1966) film thoughts... I recently picked up this Dragon Dynasty edition on DVD since I'm trying to build that collection. Come Drink With Me is a pretty well done Shaw brothers martial arts film from 1966. Since it's from that era, it had bold colors and is WIDESCREEN! The director makes use of the space well, framing each shot with care. Golden Swallow played by Cheng Pei-Pei and she is looking for the bandits who captured…

• yrsurfinman

★★★★ Added by yrsurfinman

A fine movie that exhibits a high level of technical ingenuity--Expressive whip pans implying motion, clever cutting-- and is pretty fun to watch. Yeah, the characterization is paper thin, but that's not really the point, is it?

Some of these Hong Kong classics could really use the designer label treatment-- This movie would probably look so good if lovingly restored, criterion-style.

• Claire

Watched by Claire 01 Dec, 2014 5

Even Less Nonsense December #(1)1

The action staging is to die for. The whole universe zings and hums in the long takes as they clank by in incendiary bursts. The feel of it is perfect: graceful slashes of motion, perfect pure flashes of cinema/music/poetry.

Golden Swallow is incredible. Not only does King Hu grant us a iron tough female warrior with a scowl that could peel the flesh off faces, but he grants us a small army of woman warriors.…

• adelaideblair

★★★ Watched by adelaideblair 22 Nov, 2014

I like King Hu's films, but man, is his placing slow.

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★★½ Watched by Kerry Maxwell 03 Oct, 2014

Finally a proper transfer of a King Hu classic (albeit with a typical laughably poor sub translation), and we even get a couple of nice little musical numbers! A wuxia watershed moment, and a very entertaining film.

• ccoleman3

★★★★ Watched by ccoleman3 24 Sep, 2014

The action sequences live up to the legend of the picture, the dialogue is fun, and the actors are excellent. I loved camera work, the sets, and the costumes in this film.

The songs were a bit too silly and forget the plot because you're here for the action. I really admired the lack of score in a lot of the action scenes, such a beautiful and smart choice. Hu lets these scenes play out with his camera work, the…

• jtmetcalfe

★★★★ Added by jtmetcalfe

Just an all around great Shaw film and I think one of the first to display supernatural/magical abilities, definitely my favorite of the early films, directed by the awesome King Hu.

• Travis Wagner

★★★★½ Watched by Travis Wagner 26 Aug, 2014

This film is about as delightful as the martial arts genre can get. It is also one of the earliest fully existing examples of the work, despite it being popular as early as the 1920's.