• Mr. DuLac

★★★★½ Watched by Mr. DuLac 23 Aug, 2015

Who is this Golden Swallow?
    -Abbot Liao Kung

I never thought anyone rivaled Chang Cheh as the king of Shaw Bros King Fu films, but the appropriately named King Hu certainly did, maybe not by quantity, but certainly in quality. For now Cheh still rules in my mind, but I'm aware he wasn't alone now.

We get an avenging Kung Fu sword slicing heroine almost 4 decades before Quentin Tarantino blew the minds of the Kung Fu Cinema Illiterate with…

• np1048

★★★½ Watched by np1048 19 Aug, 2015

A little removed from this one but hot damn.

Read a bit online and there's a history to this film that I wasn't aware of. "Greatest Hong Kong film of all time" seems a bit strong but you do get a sense of things coming to fruition with the Wuxia sub genre of kung-fu films. Even with my limited experience this seems to have everything: clans, buddhism, a hat based class-system, female's kicking ass, and alcoholics listening to slow harp plucking.

• Justin Decloux

★★★★★ Watched by Justin Decloux 24 Aug, 2015

The grand daddy of the kung-fu genre - inching out ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN by a year. King Hu delivers a rousing compact adventure filled with strong heroines, evil white faced villains and impressive tracking shots. It's surprisingly violent (blood splatters all over), yet still ties itself closely with the musical traditions of the Peking Opera. A must for any kung-fu film fan.

• Riki Fudoh

★★★ Added by Riki Fudoh

Well shot with a good soundtrack. This film for me at times felt kinda dated especially some of the action, and the story is pretty thin. But regardless it's got a charm to it and has two charismatic and likeable leads.

• b rad

★★★½ Watched by b rad 22 Aug, 2015

Often beautiful and ruthless when it needs to be. The obviously sped-up film undermines the otherwise good choreography, and the marginalization of the central heroine is a strange choice for the final act, but this was pretty good despite my limited interest in the genre.

• Jesse Brickzin

★★★★½ Watched by Jesse Brickzin 19 Aug, 2015

One of most, hell maybe the most influential wuxia film of all time..pretty much started the genre, or at the very least gave it credibility..

• MrJago

★★★★ Watched by MrJago 19 Aug, 2015 2

Looks very beautiful and Chiang Hsing-Lung's editing is incredibly elegant.

This feels like this features the quintessential Shaw Brothers tavern. I even enjoyed the songs :-)

Compared to later Shaw Brothers films it doesn't feature the most amazing fights, but I really enjoyed this as a film.

Points deducted for what feels like quite a rushed ending.

• Dan Gaertner

★★★★ Watched by Dan Gaertner 15 Aug, 2015

King Hu’s dynamic "Come Drink With Me" popularized the Wuxia Pan genre and influenced countless Chinese and American films. This is solid action picture with SOMETHING going on in every frame. The plot is a bit nutty, but go with it even when it appears not too make much sense.

• Jay Mistry

★★★★½ Watched by Jay Mistry 15 Aug, 2015

Hailed as one of the greatest Hong Kong wuxia films ever made, it doesn't take long to understand why. Produced by the infamous Shaw Brothers in 1966; the oddly-titled "Come Drink With Me" is a Ming Dynasty-set tale of a fierce female warrior who takes on a horde of bandits to rescue the Governor's son, with the aid of an inebriated nomad. With blistering action and a strong female lead to get behind, Come Drink With Me may just surprise modern audiences with how well it has held up 50 years since its initial release.

• whedon

★★★ Watched by whedon 12 Aug, 2015 2

The film which kickstarted a whole genre is very much a product of it's time. Quaint, old fashioned and dulled thanks to imitation Come Drink With Me is an enjoyable and light slice of kung-fu mayhem that will wile away 90 minutes but at the same time offer so much depth. Drawing from traditional Peking Opera the use of song and androgynous characters add an interesting spin to what could easily be a very simple film.

• mark scott

★★★★ Added by mark scott

Wtg happened in this movie.. the first half a sexy lady kicks much ass, and the second half? some dude takes her place, and I get pissed off. fuck off bitch! I wanted to see a sexy Chinese woman dismantel heteronormativity

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★ Watched by Jason Hernandez 10 Aug, 2015

We think we're so cool today because women now regularly kick people in the face in prestigious action movies without having to take off any clothes anymore to get there, but, as usual, Hong Kong beat everybody to it decades ago. One of our heroes here is The Golden Swallow (Cheng Pei-Pei), a young woman who's your classic ultra-cool Ming Dynasty-era martial arts fighter who can calmly beat up nine guys at the same time and can do more with…