• Ryan Meyers

★★★ Added by Ryan Meyers

A female fighter-for-hire is contracted to retrieve a governor's missing son. I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed in this film. In terms of a Wuxia Pan film, this film kicks major ass. The fight scenes are choreographed beautifully, and King Hu shoots them with an agile, impeccable ease.

And while these fight scenes are incredible, they're not enough to make up for the meandering, senseless plot. I know it's unfair to judge a film that emphasizes martial arts…

• Gavin Rye

★★★ Watched by Gavin Rye 17 Nov, 2015

Come Drink With Me is seen as something of a classic film in The Shaw Brothers catalogue and while I did enjoy it, I feel a lot of it’s love does come from the fact that it came so early. Thing’s start off really well, with a strong female in the lead. The fight scenes are good and surprisingly bloody for a film in the mid 60’s. But then the action scenes get a little few and far between and…

• YokoNo

★★★★ Watched by YokoNo 11 Nov, 2015

The most remarkable thing about this "aciton" film is how "cohesive" it feels even when there's lots of movement on screen. Hu's rarely utilizes fast-editing or speeds up footage for thrills. His widescreen photography captures this strategy brilliantly. Cheng Pei-Pei is as effortlessly graceful as the rest of the movie.

• jimbooney

★★★½ Watched by jimbooney 11 Nov, 2015

Simple story but a great kung fu film. The action is fun and flows so well.

• Luke McCarthy

Watched by Luke McCarthy 12 Nov, 2015

Hu's widescreen compositions are truly breathtaking, utilising both space and location for maximum visceral impact (although at times I felt that the speeding up of footage combined with the quick-cutting could confuse things), each and every confrontation here a cinematic game of slowly escalating tension exacerbated by both blocking and camera. A pretty perfect example of effective narrative economy as well, immediately investing us within the film's simplistic stakes before complicating things through the deepening of already familiar characters. And…

• Tomi Mendel

★★½ Watched by Tomi Mendel 07 Nov, 2015

Really not my taste, but it has a number of things going for it: great, fluid camerawork and terrific visual compositions, a strong sense of setting, and handful of memorable characters. But for me, this really went in one ear and out the other, with a plot that dragged and sputtered, at one point devolving into a series of stilted but dramatic conversations. There are some really great visual ideas in the action scenes here, like the beautifully choreographed bodies…

• Antonio Quintero

★★★ Watched by Antonio Quintero 30 Sep, 2015

One of the early Shaw Brothers classic. The kung fu in the movie is a little slower than the more modern martial arts movie. The cinematography in this movie is beautiful, many of the shots look like out of a painting.

• Ed Travis

★★★½ Watched by Ed Travis 30 Sep, 2015

An awesome 35mm film screening of a Shaw Brothers classic I had never seen before. The film is beautiful and stars one of the most badass female protagonists I've ever seen in a kung fu film... so it was a bit of a bummer that she gets a little sidelined towards the end. But this is an awesome entry in the old school kung fu repertoire.

• Brandon Sawyer

Watched by Brandon Sawyer 13 Oct, 2015

Opening battle - using editing tricks to show swords running through bodies, hands cut off at the wrist. Is this creativity in the service of obscenity, or honesty in bloody entertainment (as opposed to the bloodlessness of PG-13 carnage)? The older I get, the more I lean to (and respect) the latter.

That inn scene. Dadgum. I made an involuntary noise of awed appreciation at that pullback through the bodies surrounding Golden Swallow.

It occurred to me watching the inn…

• JosephFinn

★★★★½ Watched by JosephFinn 08 Oct, 2015

A pinnacle of the Shaw Brothers in staging, story and acting. Sure, the fights look less impressive these days but they're a mini-masterpiece of choreography for the time.

• Bizon

★★★ Watched by Bizon 03 Oct, 2015

Engaging plot, interesting characters. I like nearly everything about this kung-fu movie except for the kung-fu. (Which is sort of a problem). The fights rely far too much on this shot:
    A) A bunch of bad guys jump a good guy,
    B) Close up of good guy's hands doing something
    C) Pull back; all the bad guys are dead.
    On the other hand, fights without that editing are super stiff.

One other thing that bothered me the longer that the movie progressed: a severe case of Trinity Syndrome (before Trinity was even born...)

• Alex Kittle

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Kittle 30 Sep, 2015

Dang! This movie has it all! A badass lady, a badass fake-drunk dude, breathtaking fights, melodrama, revenge, magic, subterfuge, AND a musical number! I mean, really. I feel I could watch this movie all day.