• KerryMaxwell

★★★★½ Watched by KerryMaxwell 03 Oct, 2014

Finally a proper transfer of a King Hu classic (albeit with a typical laughably poor sub translation), and we even get a couple of nice little musical numbers! A wuxia watershed moment, and a very entertaining film.

• ccoleman3

★★★★ Watched by ccoleman3 24 Sep, 2014

The action sequences live up to the legend of the picture, the dialogue is fun, and the actors are excellent. I loved camera work, the sets, and the costumes in this film.

The songs were a bit too silly and forget the plot because you're here for the action. I really admired the lack of score in a lot of the action scenes, such a beautiful and smart choice. Hu lets these scenes play out with his camera work, the…

• jtmetcalfe

★★★★ Added by jtmetcalfe

Just an all around great Shaw film and I think one of the first to display supernatural/magical abilities, definitely my favorite of the early films, directed by the awesome King Hu.

• Travis Wagner

★★★★½ Watched by Travis Wagner 26 Aug, 2014

This film is about as delightful as the martial arts genre can get. It is also one of the earliest fully existing examples of the work, despite it being popular as early as the 1920's.

• Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel

★★★★½ Watched by Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel 01 Jun, 2014

• Sean Gilman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sean Gilman 11 Aug, 2014

Watched the commentary by Bey Logan and Cheng Pei-pei. A full 20% of it is Cheng correcting Logan's pronunciation of Cantonese and Mandarin names and words. There's no hope for the rest of us.

• Kelly Magovern

★★★½ Watched by Kelly Magovern 18 Jul, 2014

Ah, there is so much that is cool with this movie, and also some things that are not. Where to begin? First off, I think Cheng Pei-pei is wonderfully charismatic. Her whole demeanor is so cool. I love the way she carries herself and she is like the original poster child for girl power. I love seeing strong female leads like her. Unfortunately, her actual fight choreography was not the greatest. In fact, most of the fight choreography throughout this…

• Matt Reifschneider

★★★★½ Watched by Matt Reifschneider 15 Jun, 2014

One part kung fu flick, one part samurai film, Come Drink With Me has great visual execution and a strong driven script that's balanced by a phenomenal lead performance. Great classic cinema.

• Alan Jarvis

★★★½ Watched by Alan Jarvis 08 Jun, 2014

Vastly entertaining but nearly always borderline silly. Sword fights (and this is mainly martial arts with weapons) where one person takes on 20, but most of the 20 seem to just fall down at the merest touch of a weapon. Some scenes have a clear influence on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, indeed the heroine in this re-appears as the villan in that.

• SJHoneywell

★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

It's influential.
    At least that's what I'm told, but
    I do not know why.

• JamesLebowski

★★★ Watched by JamesLebowski 26 May, 2014

As far as I’m aware Come Drink With Me is Cheng Pei Pei‘s first lead role.
    Directed by King Hu Come Drink With Me has the reputation of being one of the best films to ever come out of Hong Kong, but nowadays it feels horribly dated.

Cheng Pei Pei plays Golden Swallow a mercenary tasked to save the governor’s kidnapped son.
    While there are some fun moments, overtly dramatic use of thunder and the whole film is shot in…

• Bruno Amato

★★★★ Watched by Bruno Amato 06 May, 2014 4

O filme se sustenta no contraste entre os dois heróis. Tudo que sabemos deles, suas personalidades, etc, é sugerido pela linguagem corporal. De um lado, a sisudez eficiente da Andorinha Dourada (a fantástica Cheng Pei-pei, cujos olhos faíscam a cada cena). De outro, a leveza e malícia do mestre beberrão com quem se alia (e se apaixona?) para combater malfeitores.

Além disso, o cineasta King Hu une procedimentos diferentes com facilidade e esmero surpreendentes. É a elegância com que explora…