• oh_dae_su

★★★½ Watched by oh_dae_su 06 Feb, 2016

This early Shaw Brothers work looks great, while (from my limited viewings) their later efforts became set-bound, here they film in real settings, giving the movie room to breathe.

The story itself, contrary to the synopsis (as I understood it) sees a girl, Golden Swallow, trying to rescue her brother using her mad kung fu skills, from some bandits who have kidnapped him to obtain the release of their leader who has been captured and is being held by the…

• Charlie

★★★½ Watched by Charlie 04 Feb, 2016

So this is where Martial Arts movies began? It was pretty simple plot, but it was very well done, although I enjoyed The 36th Chamber a lot more. Oh and the fact that this film cast a female lead was pretty cool, this Shaw Brothers film apparently inspired Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon which is probably my favorite of the genre so it's worth watching.

• Liam Fogarty

★★★½ Watched by Liam Fogarty 02 Feb, 2016

Martial Arts film from director King Hu who later did Dragons Inn and A Touch of Zen. It follows a woman soldier who is sent to negotiate a trade for her captured brother in return for a convicted brother to a dangerous group of outlaws, as she receives help from an unlikely disgraced drunken man.

Unlike Five Fingers of Death, which I reviewed last week, Come Drink With Me is a bit more mature and a more serious work, despite…

• James Tuccori

★★★★ Watched by James Tuccori 28 Jan, 2016

This was great. As plain and simple as that. Everything in it was great. Not perfect though. Just great. The drunks, the fighting, the acting - ooohh, the acting, the all female fighting team... It all made me happy. And it was great. Cheng Pei-pei is an elegant badass.

• Matt Thomas

★★★½ Watched by Matt Thomas 30 Jan, 2016

Great choreography and some interesting locations (and backgrounds in studios!). It was just a shame about the more fantastical stuff towards the end. And the singing children.

• Robby Karol

★★★★★ Watched by Robby Karol 24 Jan, 2016

King Hu makes wuxia films like the Archers made dramas.

• Noyer

★★★½ Watched by Noyer 23 Jan, 2016

Structurally, this is a rather odd film, with the protagonist of the film shifting from one character to another halfway through and a whole new conflict being introduced. Still, the film works for the most part, and it is hard to dislike a film where martial arts masters can suddenly start summoning hurricanes to help them in a fight.

• Timothy Young

★★½ Watched by Timothy Young 04 Jan, 2016

I really enjoyed the use of music to highlight the characters movements and action.

• Charles Arpin

★★★½ Added by Charles Arpin

Badasssssss.

• Brandon Curtis

★★★½ Watched by Brandon Curtis 04 Jan, 2016

It starts out as the story of a woman on a mission to rescue her brother from the gang holding him hostage, a drunk martial artist occasionally intervenes but then the plot shifts too abruptly at the end to being his revenge story. As a result his part of the film feels rushed while hers feels pushed out. Both leads, however, have an easy chemistry and interplay. The choreography was enjoyable and highlighted just how naturalistic Cheng Pei-Pei and Hua Yueh are as performers and allies. I can't say that I loved it unabashedly but when it finds its rhythm it really hums along.

• Eric Lee

★★★★ Watched by Eric Lee 31 Dec, 2015

Hu is as swift and exact as the protagonist that inhibits this film.

There's this precision and accuracy in every pan, push in, and cut made, making nearly everything inside the camera essential. Everything has a purpose and is executed to serve that purpose only. It's a kind of blissful economic control and clearfulness that isn't too common in action films but because of it, the film achieves near perfection. Beautiful really.

• Scott Reynolds

★★★★ Watched by Scott Reynolds 16 Dec, 2015

An oddly beautiful and violent martial arts flick that I really enjoyed. It's got a strange 'romance' at the core between the Golden Swallow - a badass female fighter and the Drunken Cat - a seemingly foolish drunkard with the drunken kung fu fighting style. Everything he does seems like an accident - albeit it's lethal to everyone around him.

gorgeously shot - you can tell this wasn't one of the many quickie kung fu movies of it's time. At…