• David Koenig

★★★½ Added by David Koenig

Come Drink With Me (1966) film thoughts... I recently picked up this Dragon Dynasty edition on DVD since I'm trying to build that collection. Come Drink With Me is a pretty well done Shaw brothers martial arts film from 1966. Since it's from that era, it had bold colors and is WIDESCREEN! The director makes use of the space well, framing each shot with care. Golden Swallow played by Cheng Pei-Pei and she is looking for the bandits who captured…

• yrsurfinman

★★★★ Added by yrsurfinman

A fine movie that exhibits a high level of technical ingenuity--Expressive whip pans implying motion, clever cutting-- and is pretty fun to watch. Yeah, the characterization is paper thin, but that's not really the point, is it?

Some of these Hong Kong classics could really use the designer label treatment-- This movie would probably look so good if lovingly restored, criterion-style.

• fieldmouse

Watched by fieldmouse 01 Dec, 2014 5

Even Less Nonsense December #(1)1

The action staging is to die for. The whole universe zings and hums in the long takes as they clank by in incendiary bursts. The feel of it is perfect: graceful slashes of motion, perfect pure flashes of cinema/music/poetry.

Golden Swallow is incredible. Not only does King Hu grant us a iron tough female warrior with a scowl that could peel the flesh off faces, but he grants us a small army of woman warriors.…

• adelaideblair

★★★ Watched by adelaideblair 22 Nov, 2014

I like King Hu's films, but man, is his placing slow.

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★★½ Watched by Kerry Maxwell 03 Oct, 2014

Finally a proper transfer of a King Hu classic (albeit with a typical laughably poor sub translation), and we even get a couple of nice little musical numbers! A wuxia watershed moment, and a very entertaining film.

• ccoleman3

★★★★ Watched by ccoleman3 24 Sep, 2014

The action sequences live up to the legend of the picture, the dialogue is fun, and the actors are excellent. I loved camera work, the sets, and the costumes in this film.

The songs were a bit too silly and forget the plot because you're here for the action. I really admired the lack of score in a lot of the action scenes, such a beautiful and smart choice. Hu lets these scenes play out with his camera work, the…

• jtmetcalfe

★★★★ Added by jtmetcalfe

Just an all around great Shaw film and I think one of the first to display supernatural/magical abilities, definitely my favorite of the early films, directed by the awesome King Hu.

• Travis Wagner

★★★★½ Watched by Travis Wagner 26 Aug, 2014

This film is about as delightful as the martial arts genre can get. It is also one of the earliest fully existing examples of the work, despite it being popular as early as the 1920's.

• Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel

★★★★½ Watched by Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel 01 Jun, 2014

• Sean Gilman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sean Gilman 11 Aug, 2014

Watched the commentary by Bey Logan and Cheng Pei-pei. A full 20% of it is Cheng correcting Logan's pronunciation of Cantonese and Mandarin names and words. There's no hope for the rest of us.

• Kelly Magovern

★★★½ Watched by Kelly Magovern 18 Jul, 2014

Ah, there is so much that is cool with this movie, and also some things that are not. Where to begin? First off, I think Cheng Pei-pei is wonderfully charismatic. Her whole demeanor is so cool. I love the way she carries herself and she is like the original poster child for girl power. I love seeing strong female leads like her. Unfortunately, her actual fight choreography was not the greatest. In fact, most of the fight choreography throughout this…

• Matt Reifschneider

★★★★½ Watched by Matt Reifschneider 15 Jun, 2014

One part kung fu flick, one part samurai film, Come Drink With Me has great visual execution and a strong driven script that's balanced by a phenomenal lead performance. Great classic cinema.