• JosephFinn

★★★★½ Watched by JosephFinn 08 Oct, 2015

A pinnacle of the Shaw Brothers in staging, story and acting. Sure, the fights look less impressive these days but they're a mini-masterpiece of choreography for the time.

• Bizon

★★★ Watched by Bizon 03 Oct, 2015

Engaging plot, interesting characters. I like nearly everything about this kung-fu movie except for the kung-fu. (Which is sort of a problem). The fights rely far too much on this shot:
    A) A bunch of bad guys jump a good guy,
    B) Close up of good guy's hands doing something
    C) Pull back; all the bad guys are dead.
    On the other hand, fights without that editing are super stiff.

One other thing that bothered me the longer that the movie progressed: a severe case of Trinity Syndrome (before Trinity was even born...)

• Alex Kittle

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Kittle 30 Sep, 2015

Dang! This movie has it all! A badass lady, a badass fake-drunk dude, breathtaking fights, melodrama, revenge, magic, subterfuge, AND a musical number! I mean, really. I feel I could watch this movie all day.

• matt lynch

★★★★½ Rewatched by matt lynch 30 Sep, 2015

"Pardon us if we sing poorly."

Secret identities.

• John O'Neill

★★★★½ Watched by John O'Neill 20 Sep, 2015

dreams of blood and wine

• Ryan Stevenson

Watched by Ryan Stevenson 17 Sep, 2015

Watched with Rachel and Lauren via Hulu as part of our Female Action Protagonist series.

• Jon Hillman

★★★ Added by Jon Hillman

I can see how Come Drink With Me could be considered an influential martial arts film, but it's not match for King Hu's true masterpiece, A Touch of Zen. I can forgive much of the story not making sense, or even most of the fight scenes mainly consisting of sounds of metal clanging together, but how in the hell did the people in the inn actually believe that the main (I guess she's the main) was a man? Don't worry, I didn't spoil anything there, it's obvious from the beginning. The film, as a whole, is more influential than it is good or entertaining.

• Shoumik Hassin

★★★★★ Watched by Shoumik Hassin 10 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This movie has a nasty over-the-top villain, crossdressing women, drinking, a henchman who seems like a nice smiley guy if he wasn't evil, a dude who bought the "Swords: How Do They Work?" video series but hasn't gotten to Episode 2: "Where and How to Hold", a great purple-skies-mystical-waterfall-loner-cabin set, lots of expendable background characters dying in ridiculous ways, musical numbers that double as convoluted ways of passing secret information and a confused sense of whether violence is a good thing. It's the platonic ideal of the martial arts movie.

• Andy Patterson

★★★★ Watched by Andy Patterson 07 Sep, 2015

Come Drink with me is a bloody Wuxia flick with action, humour and a healthy amount of cheese. It's unadulterated cinematic fun.

• Finn Oberle

★★★ Watched by Finn Oberle 06 Sep, 2015

I feel like I should like this more, but I just didn't. I hate it when that happens.

• Chase Eiland

★★★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 31 Aug, 2015

A bloody and beautiful Kung Fu masterpiece that was clearly ahead of it's time.

• Simon Abrams

★★★★ Watched by Simon Abrams 29 Aug, 2015 1

Oh man, now I really regret missing the Nitehawk's other great-looking kung fu midnight titles. Fucking social anxiety and panic attacks, man.