• Cory Mailyard

★★★★ Rewatched by Cory Mailyard 16 Apr, 2014 1

The quintessential Schwarzenegger, the quintessential 80s action movie, but I repeat myself. A few points:

1) Commando was written by Jeph Loeb as a vehicle for Gene Simmons. After a short career in the movies, Loeb spent much of his career writing comics for DC and Marvel.

2) As Commando went into production, Nick Nolte was the frontrunner for John Matrix until Schwarzenegger got the part. Until then, Schwarzenegger's big roles were a fantasy warrior and a killer robot.

3)…

• Chevalier

★★★★½ Added by Chevalier

You won't believe the macho bullshit either, but you will love every minute of it. AND YOU WON'T NEED THE GIRL

• Chris Gelderd

★★★★★ Added by Chris Gelderd

This 1985 action film directed by Mark L Lester helped define the action genre in cinema and cemented Arnold Schwarzenegger as the greatest action hero of the time. Rae Dawn Chong, Vernon Wells, Dan Hedaya and Alyssa Milano co-star.

Former US Delta Force Colonel John Matrix (Schwarzenegger) lives a peaceful, isolated life with his young daughter Jenny (Milano). Matrix is forced back into action when former colleague, Bennett (Wells), now a mercenary for hire, kidnaps Jenny on the behalf of…

• Chris

Watched by Chris 06 Apr, 2014

At this screening I learned that Mark Goldblatt cut this immediately following Terminator and Rambo: First Blood Part II. That gives the leanness of Commando an interesting context. Here Goldblatt distills 80s action down to it's most purest form.

• Alan Williams

★★★½ Watched by Alan Williams 02 Apr, 2014

Imagine a comic book as a film.

Imagine there was so much action and muscle in a film that it didn’t matter that camera rigs were visible, continuity was not continuous and dialogue was kept to one liners. That’s Commando.

Director Mark L. Lester, compelled to deal with an absurd plot not so dissimilar from the equally ridiculous ‘Taken’ creates a visual masterpiece (of sorts). A pure guilty pleasure?, a clever satire?, a tongue in cheek look at Hollywood and…

• Alex Bergmans

★★★★½ Rewatched by Alex Bergmans 01 Apr, 2014

In a genre that was once ruled by Arnold Schwarzenegger, the King (Governor?) of Action, during the 1980's, we come across the motion picture that exemplifies everything that made Sir Schwarzenegger the master of his craft. We have some of the most memorable one-liners of all time ("let off some steam", "let's party", "I eat green berets for breakfast, and right now I'm very hungry", "don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired", and of course "remember when I said I'd…

• reelstonerviews

★★★★ Added by reelstonerviews

COMMANDO; or AH-NULD: The Motion Picture.

"I'll be back! Bennett."

• Ashley Norris

★★★½ Watched by Ashley Norris 21 Mar, 2014

It's good for letting off some steam... Get it?

• Illbeback

★★★★ Rewatched by Illbeback 19 Mar, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Andy F.

Watched by Andy F. 17 Mar, 2014

Totally....just, totally awesome. And the most homoerotic action film of possibly all time.

• Trash Cinema

★★★★ Rewatched by Trash Cinema 15 Mar, 2014

Plane session from yesterday and the good old kick ass and make no prisioners Arnold as he tries to rescue her kidnapped daughter (such an easy and at the same time such a plotful argument). Total mayhem follows as Arnie destroys everything he uses with a cheesiness that would make any Gouda cry. This is where americans do good movies...explosions,bad jokes, vehicles, guns more explosions...easy!

• Marco

★★★★½ Rewatched by Marco 13 Mar, 2014

Mark L. Lester's Commando is 1 of my very favourite 80's big balls over the top action block busters.
    It's been years since I've watched it but boy, as long as you are open for the preposterous action, 1 guy vs an entire army and the 1 guy, in spite of being a bad ass walking tank ;), not only wins the day and saves his daughter but hardly gets a scratch on him!
    But this is Arnie in his…