• Steven Cohen

½ Watched by Steven Cohen 17 Oct, 2014

Excerpted from my review of Cinefamily's All-Night Horror Show:

"I fell asleep the most during Conquest, but I still got the gist; a fabled warrior must overcome some sort of inadequacy to free a land from an evil sorceress. That’s all fine, but it’s not a super high note to end your marathon on. The most interesting part of the movie is that the sorceress is topless the entire time. Otherwise, so what?"

• Andrew Lincoln

★★½ Watched by Andrew Lincoln 18 Oct, 2014

A bit of a struggle even for a passionate Fulci fan. Best viewed at 5am after 3 Red Bulls at the end of a horror movie marathon, which is how I viewed it. You won't get through it otherwise.

• Dan

Watched by Dan 17 Oct, 2014

Ultra cheesy Lucio Fulci sword and sorcery effort. There is a scene where arrows flying through the sky appear to have been scratched onto the film. I appreciated the end titles stating that 'any reference to persons or events is purely coincidental'. Fulci crowbars in some trademark gore and zombie-like creatures along the way. Next on my Fulci watchlist is Door Into Silence,starring John Savage, which I hold little hope for. Fulci directed some of my favourite films though, so I'm just filling the gaps out of idle curiousity.

• Obistrike

★★★ Watched by Obistrike 07 Sep, 2014

Fulci was toying with the idea with calling his fantasy epic The Fog but it had just been taken. So he considered The Fogginess, The Smog, The Mirk, the Puff, The Gloom and The Overcast before finally settling on Conquest. While the title didn't quite encapsulate the overall visual theme as the other options, it certainly summed up the general plot and therefore would have to do.

Mace and Ilias team up to tackle the forces of Ocron in Lucio's…

• Filipe Furtado

Added by Filipe Furtado

A quest through wasteland. Fulci arrives at his beloved apocalyptical images by a complete different path. The Beyond goes barbarian. Dramatic thin, but so haunting that never matters. From the first image onwards, a work of mad genius.

• Chris Purdie

★★★ Added by Chris Purdie

Da fuck did I just watch??
    I've been eager to catch this Fulci Sword & Sandals epic for a long time and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Conquest has a lot going for it as a mid-period non-horror Fulci release. The visuals are stunning and the atmosphere is just on the right side of dreamy, complimented by a brilliantly keyboard-heavy score by Claudio Simonetti. But what this movie really excells at is the action, and the action presented…

• Ed Travis

★★½ Watched by Ed Travis 12 Jul, 2014

Fulci, wizards, barbarians, snakes, fog, mystical bow and arrows, evil sorceress, wolf men, brainings and quarterings. What's not to like?

• Mike

★½ Watched by Mike 12 Jul, 2014

This is about what you might expect from a Fulci fantasy film - incomprehensible nonsense that's a little bit Clash of the Titans and a little bit Conan, all in an effort to cash in on the swords and sorcery craze created by the success of the latter. It's not a smart film in the least, something of a Frank Frazetta painting come to life with a fey archer and his brawny sidekick squaring off against a nude, gold masked…

• Ferox

★★★★ Added by Ferox

This is exactly what I expected when I picked up a Conan/LOTR ripoff, except maybe a bit weirder. Which is saying something since The Beyond is my favorite Fulci movie.

If you don't get what that means, gratuitous violence and nudity. Not Fulci's best work by any means but absolutely worth a watch since it looks like Conan meets Star Wars while having a fever dream.

• TheVideoNasty

★★★½ Added by TheVideoNasty

Coke sniffin dog creatures filmed with vaseline on the lens.I gotta eat mushrooms or acid and watch this shit

• Joachim Andersson

★★★ Rewatched by Joachim Andersson 17 Jun, 2014

Conquest is somewhat of a mess. The cinematography goes from horrible to inspired between scenes, the use of filters and vaseline on the lens only partly successful. The story is on the light side but fortunately we do get a couple of cool gorescenes and some fun creatures. The score is pretty nice too.

My final thought: this would have been a great flick if Sergio Salvati had been behind the camera.

• wormwould

★★★½ Watched by wormwould 11 Jun, 2014

Weird blend of quality dreamy, pastel atmosphere and goofy trash. In some ways those two contrasts kind of work together because the good imagery gives the crappy stuff some personality which is important when dealing with this low-brow stuff.

One of the more obvious things worth mentioning is that Fulci officially let go of his waning attempts at plot and just made a wandering fantasy hodge-podge, so you'll really have to find yourself in the right mood to watch this. Watch it falling asleep or something and it should be fine.