• Dan

Watched by Dan 17 Oct, 2014

Ultra cheesy Lucio Fulci sword and sorcery effort. There is a scene where arrows flying through the sky appear to have been scratched onto the film. I appreciated the end titles stating that 'any reference to persons or events is purely coincidental'. Fulci crowbars in some trademark gore and zombie-like creatures along the way. Next on my Fulci watchlist is Door Into Silence,starring John Savage, which I hold little hope for. Fulci directed some of my favourite films though, so I'm just filling the gaps out of idle curiousity.

• Obistrike

★★★ Watched by Obistrike 07 Sep, 2014

Fulci was toying with the idea with calling his fantasy epic The Fog but it had just been taken. So he considered The Fogginess, The Smog, The Mirk, the Puff, The Gloom and The Overcast before finally settling on Conquest. While the title didn't quite encapsulate the overall visual theme as the other options, it certainly summed up the general plot and therefore would have to do.

Mace and Ilias team up to tackle the forces of Ocron in Lucio's…

• Filipe Furtado

Added by Filipe Furtado

A quest through wasteland. Fulci arrives at his beloved apocalyptical images by a complete different path. The Beyond goes barbarian. Dramatic thin, but so haunting that never matters. From the first image onwards, a work of mad genius.

• Chris Purdie

★★★ Added by Chris Purdie

Da fuck did I just watch??
    I've been eager to catch this Fulci Sword & Sandals epic for a long time and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Conquest has a lot going for it as a mid-period non-horror Fulci release. The visuals are stunning and the atmosphere is just on the right side of dreamy, complimented by a brilliantly keyboard-heavy score by Claudio Simonetti. But what this movie really excells at is the action, and the action presented…

• Ed Travis

★★½ Watched by Ed Travis 12 Jul, 2014

Fulci, wizards, barbarians, snakes, fog, mystical bow and arrows, evil sorceress, wolf men, brainings and quarterings. What's not to like?

• Mike

★½ Watched by Mike 12 Jul, 2014

This is about what you might expect from a Fulci fantasy film - incomprehensible nonsense that's a little bit Clash of the Titans and a little bit Conan, all in an effort to cash in on the swords and sorcery craze created by the success of the latter. It's not a smart film in the least, something of a Frank Frazetta painting come to life with a fey archer and his brawny sidekick squaring off against a nude, gold masked…

• Ferox

★★★★ Added by Ferox

This is exactly what I expected when I picked up a Conan/LOTR ripoff, except maybe a bit weirder. Which is saying something since The Beyond is my favorite Fulci movie.

If you don't get what that means, gratuitous violence and nudity. Not Fulci's best work by any means but absolutely worth a watch since it looks like Conan meets Star Wars while having a fever dream.

• TheVideoNasty

★★★½ Added by TheVideoNasty

Coke sniffin dog creatures filmed with vaseline on the lens.I gotta eat mushrooms or acid and watch this shit

• Joachim Andersson

★★★ Rewatched by Joachim Andersson 17 Jun, 2014

Conquest is somewhat of a mess. The cinematography goes from horrible to inspired between scenes, the use of filters and vaseline on the lens only partly successful. The story is on the light side but fortunately we do get a couple of cool gorescenes and some fun creatures. The score is pretty nice too.

My final thought: this would have been a great flick if Sergio Salvati had been behind the camera.

• wormwould

★★★½ Watched by wormwould 11 Jun, 2014

Weird blend of quality dreamy, pastel atmosphere and goofy trash. In some ways those two contrasts kind of work together because the good imagery gives the crappy stuff some personality which is important when dealing with this low-brow stuff.

One of the more obvious things worth mentioning is that Fulci officially let go of his waning attempts at plot and just made a wandering fantasy hodge-podge, so you'll really have to find yourself in the right mood to watch this. Watch it falling asleep or something and it should be fine.

• Ipcress

★★★½ Watched by Ipcress 03 May, 2014 4

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Sean

★★★ Watched by Sean 16 May, 2014

Absolutely short on plot, this Italian sword and sorcery manages to be entertaining. Elias leaves his part of the world on a quest to rid the land of all evil, meets a barbarian named Mace and together they get into all kinds of mayhem. Ocren, the evil naked sorceress with a snake fetish has visions of our hero coming to slay her with said magic bow and arrows, so she decides to capture Elias along with the bow so she…