• Darren Fx

★★★ Watched by Darren Fx 08 Oct, 2015

"It's a bad day to be a rhesus monkey."

A solid yet forgettable film that boasts an ensemble cast however never really uses the cast to their full potential.

Matt Damon and Kate Winslet are tremendously underused and that impacted the film extremely. Furthermore, Jude Law was annoying and portrayed a pointless character that never did anything; yet he was not as pointless as Gwyneth Paltrow, whom was only in the film for around four scenes. The film also decided…

• Patrick Mulcahy

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 07 Nov, 2011

Steven Soderbergh and Scott Z Burns all star take on the environmental disaster movie, where equal time is given to the reporter (Jude Law) who tries to get to the facts. This isn't a cosy everybody's-pulling-in-the-same direction drama rather one that asks awkward questions about the state of emergency that ensues. Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon and Kate Winslet are some of the all-star cast. Needless to say, it wasn't contagiously popular, though it opened well. You wonder whether if Soderbergh was making it in 2015, he would have gone down the mini-series route. 2 hours is just too short.

• bobrien

★★★ Rewatched by bobrien 03 Oct, 2015

It's a tense and rather scary film. The plot is tight and delivered well in a typical stylish manor from Soderbergh. The film main character seems to be the virus itself, it's far more developed and interesting than any of the human characters we are presented with. Strangely, Soderbergh makes no attempt early on to make you care for these characters and we are thrown straight into the virus developing. But not only are there one or two undeveloped characters,…

• Joe Hastings

★★ Watched by Joe Hastings 29 Sep, 2015

Throw enough actors at the screen and maybe a few will stick.

Someone died?!.....I don't care.

Plenty of little plot threads that just don't matter.

Actors fighting for screen time without actually fighting.

Liberal actors showing us how government screws up. Irony.

Initially thrilling, but it fizzles out like a flat soda.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

I never saw Contagion in the cinema, but wanted too, and my interest was raised on one on our epic drives across the USA in late 2011 (half of Wyoming that day I think) when I had the pleasure of hearing this NPR interview www.npr.org/2011/09/30/140954029/the-real-virologist-behind-contagionm (LOVE NPR, and Ira Plato the interviewer here sounds a lot like Howard Stern). Anyway, the topic is fascinating, scary stuff. The film is an oddity, quite original. I love the movie Outbreak, but its…

• Gus Braidotti

★★★★ Watched by Gus Braidotti 29 Sep, 2015

The man can direct a film, no doubt. This a highly enjoyable drama, a well balanced blend of facts and fiction. Loved the ending, which explained how the virus started.

• USB

★★★★½ Watched by USB 20 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This movie provides an interesting viewpoint of how the medical and bureaucratic systems would deal with a potentially apocalyptic pandemic of a contagious disease. This film gives us the raw numbers - how many infected, rate of spread, mortality, regions effected - that many apocalypse movies neglect to do. It is a very effective means to express the scale of the disaster, but it is a bit unrealistic - would the experts really have real-time accurate estimates of these parameters?…

• Richard Bellamy

★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Bellamy 15 Sep, 2015

Always gripping. The editing showing the rapid spread of the virus at the beginning of the film is brilliant.

• Necro Issacc

★★★ Rewatched by Necro Issacc 16 Sep, 2015

If I learned nothing else from this movie, it's that Gwyneth Paltrow is probably going to end the world.

• Barnaby Walter

★★★★ Rewatched by Barnaby Walter 08 Sep, 2015

Gets better and better each time I see it. And Soderbergh's cinematography with the Red One digital camera is amazing.

Viewed: Blu-ray. High Definition. 1080p.

• Emily Walker

★★★ Watched by Emily Walker 05 Sep, 2015

While this is not a bad film by any means, it was definitely not as exciting as I was expecting it to be.

• Thiago Minhoca

★★★ Watched by Thiago Minhoca 31 Jul, 2015

Um elenco recheado de grandes nomes, mas num filme com roteiro fraco. O argumento é até interessante, mas o desenvolvimento não empolga. Kate Winslet e Marion Cotillard são as melhores no elenco, mas acabam sumindo com o tempo. Matt Damon, Fishburne e Jennifer Ehle são regulares. Jude Law, como de costume, é chato (apesar de ter os melhores diálogos). E Gwyneth Paltrow (que já não gosto de graça) faz apenas uma cena relevante. Aqui o vasto elenco não deu certo, Soderbergh.