• punkduck

Watched by punkduck 09 Sep, 2011

Union Square Stadium 14 (?), New York, New York

• Brian Hann

★★★★½ Added by Brian Hann

The most chilling element of this movie is its lack of sensationalism in how it portrays the world dealing with a pandemic.

Meticulously detailing the outbreak of a killer disease from patient zero by the worlds Disease Control agencies, it weaves multiple stories together.

I would be a perfect score from me, if it had not been for the unnecessary sub plot of kidnapping mid way through.

Excellently scary!

• panos75

★★★★ Added by panos75

An American woman collapses and dies from a flu-like disease, only hours after she returned from a business trip to Macao. This is just the beginning of what becomes after a few days a worldwide pandemic with millions of deaths that provokes desperate attempts by healthcare professionals to find a cure and by government officials to control panic and maintain order.

White-knuckle medical thriller that meticulously presents an apocalyptic scenario without any cardboard-cutout villains or gun-totting heroes that miraculously save…

• Jacob Powell

★★★½ Watched by Jacob Powell 21 Feb, 2015

Can't help but think of Outbreak birthed from the '95 Ebola scare but Soderbergh pulls together a much grander (international) scale spec-fic thriller which explores the socio-political surrounds of a pandemic as much as the disease outbreak itself. Smartly cast and well penned—with the notable exception of Jude Law's ill-advised 'Australian' accented conspiracy blogger—Soderbergh's efficient style and tonal command helps this film to gallop along nicely. I also really enjoyed Jennifer Ehle in science-geek mode :D

• Piotr Adamiak

★★★★½ Added by Piotr Adamiak

Every single day we are at risk from new and unknown virus strains. This movie shows what would actually happen if something like this became a reality in our World...

• Ben Garnhum

★★★ Added by Ben Garnhum

Interesting direction, lukewarm everything else.

• Joel Lake

★★★½ Watched by Joel Lake 08 Feb, 2015

A disease that spreads throughout the nation and the world that strikes fear into all is something that has been done so often that the film needed to do something to make it feel original. Soderbergh has a great directorial feel that is present in the film and the cast is great with Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslow and others giving great performances, but a silly subplot and that feeling that we've been here before many times…

• jackieray

★★★½ Rewatched by jackieray 12 Feb, 2015

Soderbergh's sense of humor is even edgier than his friend Fincher's.

• kristian2099

★★★★ Watched by kristian2099 09 Feb, 2015

Gwyneth Paltrow dies in it, so it's like the greatest movie ever!

• Doug Dillaman

★★★★ Rewatched by Doug Dillaman 25 Jan, 2015

There's a few frustrating editorial elisions (how Cotillard disappears for ages, the bit where people actually find out that there's something to riot about) and Jude Law's performance is still a blight on the whole thing, but those mild issues aside it's a fucking great film, and scarier than ever in these anti-vax times.

• honeyfrog

Watched by honeyfrog 09 Oct, 2011

theater

• Joey

★★★★ Watched by Joey 02 Feb, 2015

Extremely well made! Fantastic performances from an all star cast, some truly tense, gut-wrenching scenes, an overall sense of dread.

My only frustration with the movie is that every now and then, one or two characters will do something that defies logic in such a small way, that is insignificant to the plot, but jarring in how out of character it feels. Those moments are few, but it's enough to keep me from giving it full marks.