• matthewmarkham

Added by matthewmarkham

Strange movie in which little happens.

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 04 Jan, 2012

Some decent performances and an interesting idea but overall falls a bit flat.

• Alecs

★★★ Watched by Alecs 26 Aug, 2015

It wasnt a really good idea to watch this i already trust no one

• Leonardo Navarro Raleigh

★★★ Watched by Leonardo Navarro Raleigh 18 Aug, 2015

2011: Ranked

«Why can't they invent a shot that keeps time from passing?»

Steven Soderbergh's style is somewhat clinical, it is consistent throughout the film and even in his latest films. It feels very precise and measured. But this one was overly clinical, almost asphyxiating, and that surely helped the film. The film seems unfocused, but I think his point was to shed light on the human's selfishness. If his point was to demonstrate that what's most terrifying on this earth, is the human being, then he succeeded.

• R Stefaniuk

★★★ Watched by R Stefaniuk 24 Aug, 2015

i always knew gwyneth paltrow's ignorance would cause the apocalypse

• jcsmith

Added by jcsmith

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This film starts with Gwyneth Paltrow’s character waiting for a plane to arrive in Hong Kong. She’s definitely sick and has a little bit of a cough. There’s a title card that reads: Day 2.

Before the first 15 minutes are up and before many more days pass, she is already dead from that sickness. In one scene, two doctors are performing an autopsy on her character - the film shows you the skin of her forehead being peeled back,…

• BiblicalZombie

★★½ Added by BiblicalZombie

An excellently directed flick with a quite drawn out story filled with unrelatable characters minding a few exceptions and a just above average script.

Occasionally cheesy, mostly decent. It's not going to leave a memorable impression on you. Purchase if found in bargain bin.

• Luke Mosher

★★★★½ Watched by Luke Mosher 18 Aug, 2015

I love Soderbergh so much. I just moved up to Minnesota, where a lot of this film is set, and that's part of what made it so unsettling. I also see a lot of influence from The Social Network in this, which I know Soderbergh loved -- he saw it 4 times in theaters, according to that journal he kept for 2010. Quick pacing and techno music. An unwieldy number of characters, but I don't care; good is good. I've always loved the way his editing and sequencing tells a story, and it really shines in this one. Almost on par with Traffic.

• Jim

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jim 16 Aug, 2015

The final moments of this film are stunning, almost on par and in contrast with the seduction of Gary & Celeste. To me, it says volumes about how the cosmos does not care about consequence as a result of random chance. A bat drops a banana into a pig lot, the pig consumes, the virus then jumps on board for the market, then to the casino restaurant as the wheels of economic globalization begin to turn. Hands shake. Commence pandemic.

Simply,…

• Andrew James

★★★ Rewatched by Andrew James 11 Aug, 2015 1

Remember when Wes Anderson made Moonrise Kingdom and everyone said it was good, but it felt like someone parodying a Wes Anderson movie? This is the Soderbergh equivalent. It feels like he's sleepwalking his way through a redo of Traffic but with disease instead of drugs.

It's alright. But honestly, I'd rather watch the goofy Hollywood version with Dustin Hoffman (Outbreak) or the very excellent HBO films And the Band Played On with Matthew Modine than this clinical, precision based…

• shampoocell

★★★★ Watched by shampoocell 11 Aug, 2015

This is why I wash my hands roughly 7,419 times a day.

• Ian Flick

★★★★ Watched by Ian Flick 07 Aug, 2015

Fuck yeah! This is what I want from a horror/thriller. It's creepy (in a "semi-realistic" fashion) and it made me smile with glee for pretty much its entire duration. So much fun to be had here.