• Desbarrancadero

Added by Desbarrancadero

Anton Corbijn es un genio en lo visual. Es el tipo que puede hacer soportable, e inclusive admirable, una banda como U2.
    Es una película bella visualmente que se toma su tiempo para contar todo por partes. Nunca termina de estallar porqué, no sé, así no es la figura que se ha creado de Ian Curtis. se va más por ser anecdotica, encerra en sus mismos escenarios y sobria. Nada de esto es un desacierto, al contrario se agradece que la imagen de un rockstar no este aquí, sino el retrado de una persona.
    PD: Siempre he querido bailar como lo hacen en sus gigs.

• Nick Ondras

★★★★ Watched by Nick Ondras 27 Jul, 2014

83/100

"Could be worse. You could be the lead singer of The Fall."

PARTY DOWNER.

I had no idea Martin Starr managed Joy Division.

Oh, how I long for the days when the Weinsteins only distributed movies instead of editorially meddled-cum-produced them.

There are actor's movies, there are director's movies, there are writer's movies. But Anton Corbijn's enigmatic 2007 debut "Control" feels like a photographer's movie, while still being one that tries to be all three preceding descriptions at once.…

• Suecitysue

★★★★½ Added by Suecitysue

This is one of the best music biopics I have ever seen. Sam Riley is mesmerizing as Ian Curtis (founder and vocalist of Joy Division) and even manages to nail Ian's unique on stage performance! Highly Recommended!

• Elias Elias

★★★★★ Added by Elias Elias

I usually start to watch movies without knowing anything about them, just for the surprise that I feel with the outcome, this was the case with this one.

I was watching it, and for the first 15min it was ok, nothing special, but when Ian (the main character) says the name of the band, I simply jumped out of my bed and said: "I`m watching a movie about Joy Division"!!!

That was the best feeling ever!

• Ross Miller

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ross Miller 19 Jul, 2014

I'm a huge Joy Division fan anyway so I'm predisposed to like any film about them but even apart from that this is a beautifully shot, fittingly moody film with great performances, particularly by Sam Riley who really captures the essence of one of music history's most fascinating frontmen.

• Jackie Perrone

★★★★ Added by Jackie Perrone

Ok, so anyone who knows me know that i'm a fan of the band Joy Division and i've been listening to them since i was a teen. Although they didn't truly become my one of my favorite bands until i saw Control on my 20th birthday

Anyway, on to the review.

It should be pretty obvious what this film is about. You follow around Ian's life before Joy Division was formed right to his suicide on May 18th 1980. Pretty…

• feedingbrett

★★★½ Watched by feedingbrett 25 Jun, 2014

Review In A Nutshell:

I don't consider myself as the biggest Joy Division enthusiast, but I can proudly say that I do love their music and I consider myself at least a fan of their work. The band has made an impact on my life and my perspective of music. I remember when around 5-6 years ago, when I first heard the band, I listened to Unknown Pleasures, it didn't instantly blow me away instead it crept up on me…

• alphonse

★★★★ Rewatched by alphonse 21 Jun, 2014 2

In Anton Corbjin's Control we have the chance to see the world through the eyes of Ian Curtis, the vocalist of the acclaimed british band from the late 70s, Joy Division, which is actually one of my all time favorite bands. Control documents the relationship bewtween Ian Curtis and his wife and between Ian Curtis and his mistress, his battle against epilepsy and the path to Joy Division's fame and the way all those happenings destroyed his life.

Control was…

• Sadie

★★★★ Rewatched by Sadie 01 Jun, 2014

The film is beautifully shot in black and white with exquisite cinematography.

Control is one of the finest and heartbroken biopic I've ever watched, It is extremely daunting.

Ian Curtis realized that the 'celebrity life' is just another invention of distraction, and Ian was certainly a person who had enough control in his life already.

Control is not like a traditional 'rock star' biopic, this film hardly contains any sex and drugs to meet that 'rock star' biopic.
    What I…

• BilltheThrill

★★★★ Watched by BilltheThrill 23 May, 2014

Control is a biographical film about the lead singer of my favorite band of all time, Joy Division, so of course I was completely enthralled by it and loved the music. The black and white cinematography was effective, and the lead performance was very convincing. I'd have preferred the film to focus more on the band rather than just Ian Curtis though.

• Sarah Jane

★★★★ Added by Sarah Jane 14

"Side effects include: drowsiness, apathy, and blurred vision... I'm taking two."

Yes, fucking, please!

Odd to use the word 'enjoy' when describing this film but I will. I enjoyed watching this. Anton Corbijn's black and white photography making the story all that more powerful. Bleak, depressing, desolate, cold, and loney; these are words to describe both the look and content of the film.

Even if you are not a Joy Division fan, you might already be familiar with their story…

• Glen Parks

★★★½ Watched by Glen Parks 15 May, 2014

I have been wanting to watch this for a while since I love Joy Division and the photography of Anton Corbijn. Visually, the film is stunning. The story meanders a bit, but is always pulled back by the gigs they're either going to or playing.

Sam Riley plays the role of Ian Curtis well, but doesn't quite have the gravitas to pull off Curtis' slide towards suicide. The rest of the cast are good, with Samantha Morton particularly impressive as Deborah Curtis.