• Brian Welk

★★★★½ Rewatched by Brian Welk 15 Jun, 2015

The best Music Biopic. Fucking heavy and fucking gorgeous to look at. The kind of movie that makes it easy to believe Joy Division is the best band ever (Joy Division You Cunt). But for as dreary as it is, the guys aren't total misanthropes either, and it has a strong sense of humor as well.

I wrote a piece recently about Music Biopic rules for Sound on Sight, and it probably should've just been called, "Be More Like Control": www.soundonsight.org/four-simple-rules-biopics-music-geniuses/

• James Hartley

★★★½ Watched by James Hartley 29 Jun, 2015

Love will tear us apart.

• Liam Egan

★★★★ Watched by Liam Egan 25 Jun, 2015

Beautifully shot film

• Tadas

★★★★★ Watched by Tadas 17 Jun, 2015

Atmosphere will never sound the same

• iamtetsuho

★★★★½ Added by iamtetsuho

La storia di Ian Curtis, cantante dei Joy Division. Rigorosamente e necessariamente in b/n.

• massageman

★★★★ Watched by massageman 09 Jun, 2015

Wow! Sam Riley really gave an amazing performance as Ian Curtis!

• ab

★★★★ Watched by ab 09 Jun, 2015

Tarr-esque visuals, heartfelt score, deeply human performances; Control is an elegiac tale for the outsider in all of us. Profoundly moving.

• Ryan Michaels

★★★★½ Watched by Ryan Michaels 08 Jun, 2015

CONTROL is totally unique in demystifying the creative process -- namely, showing it as a rigorous PROCESS and not some intangible realm of tortured genius and agonized inspiration. Anton Corbijin is a born director; stunning as a standalone photographer and totally in tune with the emotional limitations of what his skill-sets can yield. there's a very narrow range that a movie this aesthetically rigid can hit and Corbijin mines it richly. this is a movie composed only of essentials -- visual ones, emotional ones and especially musical ones. excellent. excellent

• ns bishop

★★★★ Watched by ns bishop 06 Jun, 2015

I was surprised at how good this film is. Anton Corbijn does a great job of making a biopic into a compelling story, even though you know how it has to end from the opening scene. (Perhaps if you aren't a fan of Joy Division or New Order, you might not know the story.) Sam Riley spookily inhabits the Ian Curtis character; he is fabulous as the talented, tortured Curtis. I recently saw Peter Hook in a book discussion in…

• Lee Towler

★★★ Watched by Lee Towler 29 May, 2015

Whether or not you're a fan of Joy Division, this is a great character study on Ian Curtis nonetheless.

Though, if you are a fan of Joy Division, then you'll certainly enjoy the soundtrack - unsurprisingly! On top of the well covered renditions of their two albums most iconic songs, there's a little bit of The Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop and David Bowie sprinkled in there as well. All in all, making for a pretty great soundtrack.

But if that…

• filmcollective

★★★★ Watched by filmcollective 24 Apr, 2015

Anton Corbjin's kitchen sink bio pic of Joy Divisions tragic front man Ian Curtis is a beautifully shot and reservedly told tale. Curtis was a man torn, between fame and privacy, between two lovers, between intelligence and ill health, and this movie chronicals his tormented path to destruction.

With a great performance by Samantha Morton as Ian's wife, Deborah (who's biography the film is based on) and mother to his children, kept at a distance from Ians fast rising career…

• Ben Dugan

★★★★ Rewatched by Ben Dugan 24 May, 2015

I love Joy Division. I feel like I can't be objective about this movie.
    Prejudices known, I think this movie is fantastic, Sam Reilly is pretty great, and I wish more people watched it.