• Harry Simmo

★★★★½ Watched by Harry Simmo 01 Apr, 2015

I knew how this was going to end. You know how this is going to end. Everyone knows how this is going to end.

The way this magically depressing biopic is built up is outstanding. I've been left with tears running down my face. Sam Riley is fantastic as Ian Curtis. I don't think the part could have been played any better.

Control takes a deeply personal look at Ian Curtis' troubled life. A true hero, this film is a…

• sven.

★★★ Watched by sven. 30 Mar, 2015

jede zweite silbe wird verschluckt und somit (nicht selten) auch

die leichtigkeit und der rhythmus des films.

corbijn inszeniert das sehr stark.

nah und distanziert zugleich.

wunderschön photografiert.

riley ist als curtis sehr glaubhaft.

man sieht die hingabe (ohne zweifel), spürt sie aber zu selten

of likely lads and dark punk attitude.

• supastahhh

★★★★★ Added by supastahhh

beautiful

• James Utley

★★★★ Watched by James Utley 20 Mar, 2015

With its monochrome photography, Control is reminiscent of those iconic photos of the band Joy Divison, who the film follows. Corbijn's film is more intimate than a band biopic, though, and works more as a dissection of Ian Curtis' life from late adolescence to untimely death.

The biggest load of praise the film gets is, more often than not, for the lead performance. I have to say, I wasn't as thrilled as I expected to be which really kills me…

• FredM

★★★½ Watched by FredM 17 Mar, 2015

Performances.
    Black and white cinematography.
    Intensity.

All impeccable.

However, the true star of this movie?

Those bass lines.
    They send shivers down the spine.

• ninamelli

★★★★★ Watched by ninamelli 11 Mar, 2015

• André Belo

★★★★ Watched by André Belo 11 Mar, 2015

As I reported before, in some other review, I reaffirm the following: After I watched black and white movies such as 'Casablanca', 'Good Night, and Good Luck', 'Nebraska', 'Schindler's List' and now this one, I begin to believe this kind of films are actually good, maybe because, beyond anything else. they are truly focused on the story. Therefore, needless to say that I will be searching for some more like these to watch in the future, because films in colors are definitely overrated.

• André Dick

★★★★ Watched by André Dick 06 Mar, 2015

Esta cinebiografia para o líder do Joy Division Ian Curtis realizada por Anton Corbijn, que chegou a fotografar a banda, tem uma atmosfera que remete claramente aos anos 70, por meio do trabalho de James Ruhe. É esta fotografia em preto e branco que dá um peso para o filme em todos os sentidos, captando realmente o personagem, com a colaboração do grande ator Sam Riley. O filme pode não ter a melancolia de “Últimos dias”, de Gus Van Sant,…

• YelenaDawg

★★★★★ Watched by YelenaDawg 03 Mar, 2015

Poignant, amazing.

• Sean Kelly

★★★½ Watched by Sean Kelly 28 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Pretty good musical performances (mostly performed by the actors), but the plot got really heavy in the third act, where I was just waiting for the point Ian Curtis finally kills himself.

• Ian Salsbury

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ian Salsbury 28 Feb, 2015

Control is a bleak and powerful movie about the life of Ian Curtis, singer and songwriter of short lived British post punk band Joy Division. Curtis is shown to be a confused and troubled man, struggling to cope with depression, self doubt, regret and epilepsy. The film inevitably doubles up as a band biopic although it's very much the leading man it's primarily concerned with.

Sam Riley does an incredible job of bringing Curtis to life and it's beautifully filmed…

• Gaz Elliott

★★½ Watched by Gaz Elliott 26 Feb, 2015

I was never the greatest fan of Joy Division but I've found myself interested in the story of Ian Curtis for years. I was looking forward to this...perhaps that's what dampened my appreciation of it. It's a little drab if I'm honest. And why a film recounting a story from the 1980's was filmed in black & white I'll never know! It added nothing to the story nor the picture itself.