• PezEspada

Watched by PezEspada 07 Apr, 2014

Es fácil ganarme con música de los Joy Division y planos bonitos, pero Control es algo aburrida.

• Luke Pamer

★★★★½ Watched by Luke Pamer 26 Mar, 2014 1

"Control" is a biopic on the late "Joy Division" front man, Ian Curtis. Even if you're not a Joy Division fan, this movie is definitely worth watching.

It is filmed in black & white which was a terrific choice by director Anton Corbijn. I researched him after I watched this & most of his work has been in photography & it really shows. The black & white cinematography really trapped you within the depressed & genius mind that was Ian Curtis.

Most biopics involving musicians…

• Jeff Gallashaw

★★★★ Added by Jeff Gallashaw

Ian Curtis is a quiet and rather sad lad who works for an employment agency and sings in a band called Warsaw. He meets a girl named Debbie whom he promptly marries and his band, of which the name in the meantime has been changed to Joy Division, gets more and more successful. Even though Debbie and he become parents, their relationship is going downhill rapidly and Ian starts an affair with Belgium Annik whom he met after one of…

• YingaGarten

★★★★ Watched by YingaGarten 15 Mar, 2014

Brilliant biopic on the life of Ian Curtis, Joy Division singer who tragically hung himself when it could be argued that the band hadn't even reached their peak musically. I appreciate Joy Division's music, but I never truly connected with it as I'd like to have done, but I'm hoping the film allows me to establish a connection. The film (shot in black and white) accurately renders the feeling and depiction of the time (it helps that the area of…

• Andy Summers

★★★★ Rewatched by Andy Summers 18 Mar, 2014 1

Anton Corbijn has a flair for visuals. Anyone who has seen his work with Depeche Mode will know what I mean. He's made that step from brilliant photographer to film director with consummate ease and this his debut feature had all his hallmarks.
    Ian Curtis was the lead singer with the late-seventies band Joy Division. A complex, some would say selfish young man, he had deeply troubling emotional problems courtesy of an epilepsy condition he just couldn't deal with. This…

• Éloïse Thompson

★★★★ Watched by Éloïse Thompson 16 Mar, 2014

[2014 Movie challenge: entry #33]

Great film that shows both sides of Ian Curtis: the music genius and the guy who failed his personal life.
    Depressive, but in a good way!
    It makes me love Joy Division more than ever
    Loved it!

• Daryl

★★★★½ Watched by Daryl 03 Mar, 2014

The annoying thing about watching Control is that you fully except the pounding drum intro of Love Will Tear Us Apart to kick in at any time.

Thankfully Anton Corbijn resisted.

We do get the monumentally better intro to Incubation however.

Control rocks.

In every way. It's an exceptional film. It's truthful. It's tragic, and it's a must for any music and film fan. It's a fitting tribute to Ian Curtis, although it's romanticism of his suicide is a slight…

• Marianna Morales

★★★★½ Watched by Marianna Morales 27 Feb, 2014

"Why is it something so good just can't function no more?
    Love, love will tear us apart again." - Ian Curtis

Sam Riley es un perfecto Ian Curtis, luchando contra una enfermedad incurable y más que eso contra sus propios sentimientos, no quiere lastimar a Debbie, pero no puede amarla como se merece y al final pierde esa lucha contra sí mismo. Debbie pierde, Annik pierde, la banda pierde y el mundo pierde a un gran prodigio musical.

La fotografía en blanco y negro le da el toque especial y la música obviamente más, un gran tributo a una gran banda.

Joy Division Forever.

• Daniel Kelly

★★★★ Added by Daniel Kelly

Strong biopic of Ian Curtis, beautifully shot and framed by historical contexts that really make the tragedy in the story pop with melancholic heartbreak. Apparently this was Sam Riley's first screen gig, but he attacks the role with the measure and maturity of a seasoned chameleon.

• RoundMyWay

★★ Added by RoundMyWay

You would learn more reading the Wikipedia entry on Ian Curtis, watching 24 Hour Party People, or better yet watching the documentary on Joy Division. Beautifully shot but not much in terms of content. Since (based on the doc) no one really knew much about what drove Ian's art it's silly to make a movie knowing little on the subject.

• Niall Blackie

★★★★ Watched by Niall Blackie 16 Feb, 2014

Beautifully shot, brilliantly acted; just a great film that helps you learn more about Ian Curtis of Joy Division, a band I had always had a slight interest in but now am keen to listen to more of.

• Roni Laukkarinen

★★★½ Watched by Roni Laukkarinen 09 Feb, 2014

This is one of those movies that would not be so good if was not a biography, true story of someone's life. As a biography of Ian Curtis this film is almost perfect. I don't know facts but I could guess this is quite accurate description. A very sad story indeed, but I can somehow relate to Ian. This man kept a lot of thoughts to himself.

The story is not amazing or anything, but I liked the deepness and thoughtfulness of this character. Too bad that he is gone.