• André Dick

★★★★ Watched by André Dick 06 Mar, 2015

Esta cinebiografia para o líder do Joy Division Ian Curtis realizada por Anton Corbijn, que chegou a fotografar a banda, tem uma atmosfera que remete claramente aos anos 70, por meio do trabalho de James Ruhe. É esta fotografia em preto e branco que dá um peso para o filme em todos os sentidos, captando realmente o personagem, com a colaboração do grande ator Sam Riley. O filme pode não ter a melancolia de “Últimos dias”, de Gus Van Sant,…

• YelenaDawg

★★★★★ Watched by YelenaDawg 03 Mar, 2015

Poignant, amazing.

• Sean Kelly

★★★½ Watched by Sean Kelly 28 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Pretty good musical performances (mostly performed by the actors), but the plot got really heavy in the third act, where I was just waiting for the point Ian Curtis finally kills himself.

• Ian Salsbury

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ian Salsbury 28 Feb, 2015

Control is a bleak and powerful movie about the life of Ian Curtis, singer and songwriter of short lived British post punk band Joy Division. Curtis is shown to be a confused and troubled man, struggling to cope with depression, self doubt, regret and epilepsy. The film inevitably doubles up as a band biopic although it's very much the leading man it's primarily concerned with.

Sam Riley does an incredible job of bringing Curtis to life and it's beautifully filmed…

• Gaz Elliott

★★½ Watched by Gaz Elliott 26 Feb, 2015

I was never the greatest fan of Joy Division but I've found myself interested in the story of Ian Curtis for years. I was looking forward to this...perhaps that's what dampened my appreciation of it. It's a little drab if I'm honest. And why a film recounting a story from the 1980's was filmed in black & white I'll never know! It added nothing to the story nor the picture itself.

• Klara LaVey

★★★★★ Added by Klara LaVey

One of the greatest biopics I've ever seen. The actors in this movie are amazing and even if you aren't a fan of Joy Division/New Order this is a must watch.

• util_monster

★★★★ Added by util_monster

I LOST CONTROL AGAIN

• Aidan Seidman

★★★★ Watched by Aidan Seidman 09 Feb, 2015

I just finished watching this and man what a film. Excellently written and just as well acted. Sam Riley gives a knockout performance as the main character Ian Curtis (Lead singer of Joy Division) he shows extreme complexities and does justice to the character. Even the supporting actors were excellent. All of the band members really learned to play their respective instruments. I would recommend this film to anyone who 1. Enjoys Joy Divisions music and would like to learn more about their front man and 2. Anyone who loves a fantastic biopic.

• bree1981

★★★★½ Rewatched by bree1981 08 Feb, 2015

A look into the life of Joy Division singer Ian Curtis directed by former band photographer Anton Corbijn. Filmed in black and white it tells the story of an introverted yet highly gifted young man struggling with epilepsy and depression who's only escape from life is through music. He marries his childhood sweetheart at a young age and they have a daughter together but his life is further complicated when he meets and falls in love with a Belgian journalist,…

• Henrik Løberg

★★★ Watched by Henrik Løberg 04 Feb, 2015 7

Throughout the ironically titled Ian Curtis biopic Control, Curtis slowly loses control of his life, struggling with his health, his sudden rise to fame, his love life, and one can't help but feel at unease as we watch his transformation from a somewhat normal teenager to a troubled man, especially knowing the tragic outcome of Curtis' life. Sam Riley pulls of a great performance as the troubled Joy Division frontman and vocalist, portraying the several layers of complexity within Curtis brilliantly.

Other than that, it never really amounts to anything spectacular, but rather just stays at a consistent level of 'good'.

• deadmanramsey

★★★½ Added by deadmanramsey

69/100

• Zaimus Dzewandee

★★★★ Watched by Zaimus Dzewandee 21 Feb, 2011

The life and death of Ian Curtis and Joy Division in a dramatic black & white biopic.

Out of all the actors I’ve seen play Curtis, Sam Riley does the best job; the performances look spot on. The film focuses heavily on his relationship with his wife Deborah, (who also was involved with writing and production), his struggle with epilepsy and his resultant suicide.