• sschuster

★★★★½ Added by sschuster

Might be because I am a Joy Division fan, or a sucker for black and white cinematography, or interested in anything Anton Corbijn does, but I LOVED this movie. My only gripe about it was that I felt like they made it super lean, and could have gone into a little more detail, but I feel like it might have just had too low of a budget to do more.

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• Daniel O'Raw

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel O'Raw 10 Oct, 2014

Can't believe its taken me this long to see Control, but now I have and its brilliant. For me Corbijn's most interesting and captivating film because he actually knows this world (he met them!) and he understands and is passionate about Ian Curtis and Joy Division. You can see this with how well he constructs the live gig scenes which appear completely faithful to reality considering Sam Riley's fantastic performance of truly becoming Curtis on stage.

• Ali Pritchard

★★★★½ Added by Ali Pritchard

I am a believer in Joy Division! Fucking hallelujah!

• Terri

★★★ Added by Terri

I didn't go into this one with strong feelings pro or con Ian Curtis as a person, and I didn't really come out of it loving him--or hating him. I'm comfortable with that. Though it's based on some version of facts, it's very much a dramatization, so I took it on its merits as essentially a sort of historical fiction. Not bad. Certainly worth watching.

• brian BV

★★★★ Added by brian BV

I was a big fan of Joy Division when I was in college, but not necessarily shocked by Ian Curtis's death. After all, their music was powerful, consuming, and very dark. Anton Corbijn's decision to use b&w cinematography was very fitting, and Sam Riley's performance was as good as you could expect for portraying such a complicated & misunderstood person. However, if you're not a fan of Joy Division, you'll probably have more difficulty following the meandering and downbeat storyline.

• Robert Fuller

Watched by Robert Fuller 17 Sep, 2014

"I'm going to make a movie about the lead singer of this band I like, and I'm going to do it in black and white so it doesn't look like every other musical biopic ever made even though it totally is!"

I stuck with it only just long enough to hear "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (the only good Joy Division song).

Anton Corbijn, most boring filmmaker alive?

EDIT: the posters for this movie and for Boy A are so…

• Margarida Keating

★★★★ Watched by Margarida Keating 12 Sep, 2014 2

Visually stunning. Portrays a realistic and raw journey through the depths of the human emotion.

• Ed Cresdee

★★★★ Rewatched by Ed Cresdee 09 Sep, 2014

Watched on Adriatic MTV with Croatian subtitles in the wrong aspect ratio, still quite good

• Austin Shermer

★★★★ Watched by Austin Shermer 05 Sep, 2014 2

Film #37 of What Should I Watch?

Recommended by Luke Pamer

After recently becoming a fan of the post-punk genre I decided it was time to finally watch Control, a film that my friend Luke recommended to me a few months ago. The film follows Joy Division front man Ian Curtis's musical ascent, his relationships with his wife and mistress, and his struggle with epilepsy. Not only does the story provide plenty of information about Curtis and Joy Division it…

• Haider Saleem

★★★★★ Watched by Haider Saleem 01 Sep, 2014

A fantastic emotionally provoking journey through Joy Division, one of the most mythical bands in music history with the hailed Ian Curtis. The film picks up on minor details, and although sometimes exaggerating content matter, subtle detail has not been dismissed. The black and white filter throughout the whole film gives it that much more effect, making this feature look outstanding and unique in it's own right. The performances which were actually done by the actors, were top-notch, and at…

• Rick Powell

★★½ Watched by Rick Powell 01 Sep, 2014

I was skeptical after reading about Greil Marcus' reason for including Joy Division's song, Transmission, in his new book, The History of Rock N Roll in Ten Songs. He claims that he hadn't taken the song seriously until he saw it dramatized in Anton Corbijn's Control...what, some 30 years later? Sorry, dude, I thought, I got there some years before you. But then I watched it myself and chills ran up and down my spine. As Marcus points out, the…