• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 02 May, 2015

Surprisingly decent movie adaptation, and among King's favourites of adaptations of his own work, maybe for the reason I kind of liked it, it resolved an unhappy ending in the book into a happier ending in the movie.

The director did well to make a cute, cuddly breed like a St Bernard into a bloody, snarling threat though, and the sequence early on where his owner realises he's rabid is pretty effective.

• Alan Dorich

★★★★ Watched by Alan Dorich 24 Apr, 2015

After CUJO, I don't think I like big dogs anymore. And the film has given me plenty of reason to: this story of a rabid, vicious St. Bernard terrorizing a mother (Dee Wallace) and her young son (Danny Pintauro) by trapping them in their car is one of the tensest horror films I've seen lately, never mind that it holds back on one of the major shocks of Stephen King's original novel. Lewis Teague directed the hell out of this thriller and got a performance from Dee Wallace that deserved an Oscar. It's a film that deserved much better than the critical reception it had.

• Jordan Smith

Added by Jordan Smith

Spielberg's great early movies tend to follow a similar pattern: develop the characters and have all the family drama front and center until some supernatural or sci-fi happening amplifies that tenfold. Cujo is like the inverse of that, or something. Where Spielberg's movies let two different genres coexist and actually complement each other, Cujo is content to absolutely decimate the goodwill it builds in its interesting first 35 minutes with a mind-numbingly boring second half where our characters are stuck…

• Joel Clark

★★★½ Watched by Joel Clark 08 Apr, 2015

Very nearly made it to four stars!

Cujo, 1983 is based on the Stephen King book of the same name, and is basically about a dog who gets rabies and ends up letting loose on a few town locals. Before it can be reported by a two timing whore... excuse me, a wife and her son, their car breaks down and they are left practically in the middle of nowhere, with no help coming. The woman's husband, who discovered the…

• Benjamin S.

★★★½ Watched by Benjamin S. 04 Apr, 2015

"Fuck you, dog."

Takes a while to get started, and I wish they'd given the dog more mystique. However, things become very tense and scary once the leads find themselves trapped and terrorized by the titular beast.

• Aaron King

★★★ Rewatched by Aaron King 15 Mar, 2015

After having read the book for the first time, I wanted to see how well it holds up and it seems like that the movie is a much better version of the two because the book is slow and boring on parts plus is has no break in the flow of it since there is no chapters. There was a lot of extra stuff about the account her husband was working on and more of cujo's owners what they were…

• RickyHaze

★★★★½ Added by RickyHaze

Outstanding adaptation, a completely terrifying film filled with great characters and an unforgettable villain. The slow burn is expertly crafted and leads to a intense finale. My only reason for not giving this a five star rating was the abrupt ending, it worked, but it was too sudden.

• Joshua David

★★½ Added by Joshua David

Less sadistic than the novel, but it's also not as good, and makes Cujo nothing but a rabid monster rather than a sympathetic character.

• Kevin Bechaz

★★★½ Rewatched by Kevin Bechaz 10 Feb, 2015

Beneath the surface of the film's simple premise lies a horrific thriller which explores the dynamic of a dysfunctional family in addition to childhood fears and anxieties. Distressing scenes, particularly those featuring the main child character add to the films emotional impact. The menacing performance from the canine antagonist is achieved very well through clever animal training along with precise camera and stunt work.

• Hannah Lynch

★★★ Watched by Hannah Lynch 10 Feb, 2015

A simple yet realistic idea is executed brilliantly in such a way which audiences find amusing and can relate to. The horrific events which eventually unfold interestingly parallel anxieties and tensions brewing in our protagonist and her immediate family. Unlike other titles based off the source's author, characters are well developed in the features short run-time. Which, allows for common issues straining our lead family dynamic to be all the more sympathetic.

• Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright

★★★ Rewatched by Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright 30 Jan, 2015

"Meat and potatoes" is the go-to term here - it doesn't get more basic than a couple of people terrorized by a rabid dog. But it's a thin concept to stretch out over an hour and a half, and the domestic dramas are not compelling. There's even a subplot that we come back to throughout with the husband in another town, bothered by the feeling that something's wrong - and the only payoff for it (and it's admittedly a good,…

• Scott Kaczynski

★★½ Rewatched by Scott Kaczynski 08 Jan, 2015

I forgot how slow this movie was, and how little I care about anything that happens until Cujo goes ape shit.

If I was Dee Wallace, I would have fed Danny Pintauro's Tad character to Cujo and walked off the farm. That kid is so annoying in this film. They should have kept the original ending from the book.