• Josh Needle

Added by Josh Needle

Not a Fan

• Gramercy Riff

★★★ Watched by Gramercy Riff 01 Feb, 2016

There's more wrong with that Pinto than just its color. A decent King adaptation that invests quite a lot of time in its characters. Perhaps a little too much, since it doesn't add much to the impact of the third act. That would have worked no matter what. Doggy horror with a couple of nice shots from the dog's height, Cujo starts to look more and more disgusting (he's scarier than many CGI monsters today) and the attacks are rabid indeed. Intensity grows with the wounds, the heat and the fear of further decay, all adding up to an ultimately adequate film.

• Stankshadow

★★½ Watched by Stankshadow 29 Jan, 2016

Next time wear your PF Flyers.

• Charles Arpin

★★★★ Added by Charles Arpin

Overlooked horror movie.

• Rian Miller

★★★★ Watched by Rian Miller 19 Oct, 2015

A mother and son find themselves trapped in a broken down car with a ravenous, rabid dog outside.

That's the simplest premise for Cujo, but there's honestly a lot more to it than that. While the killer dog stuff is surely what most people (myself included) watch this film for, it's really only the focus of the third act. The first 2/3 of the movie is devoted to character development and seemingly unimportant side stories. These sequences are mundane, but…

• Anthony

Watched by Anthony 07 Dec, 2015

Forty minutes of buildup and stage-setting character development are too much for a potboiler horror flick about a giant rabid dog, particularly when the early melodramatic stuff lacks the humor and Rockwellian sense of detail that help make King's characters as engaging as his sense of horror. No doubt the filmmakers were concerned about the amount of time that would be spent in the Pinto. Once the dog goes nuts, Teague attempts to bludgeon the viewer into terror, relying a…

• Jamie

★½ Watched by Jamie 04 Dec, 2015

Film #14 of my 2015 December Challenge

I did NOT enjoy this! I read the book a few years ago and had a good time with it. For a story about a giant rabid dog attacking a town it has a surprising amount of emotion and drama in it, especially in the scenes where Tad and the mother are trapped and the car. These moments were recreated pretty well in the film, definitely not as affecting as King's novel but…

• Fish

★★★ Watched by Fish 02 Dec, 2015

I seem to be having a glut of Stephen King adaptations of late, which is by no design, just circumstance. The next up is one that I have read the book, but not seen the film. 'Cujo' is archetypal King, it is slow in the build up, making sure characters remain real and relevant, but the tension is always brooding, every action and re-action has malice.

With a pretty mundane theme of a young family going through turmoil with careers,…

• Brian Stack

★½ Watched by Brian Stack 13 Nov, 2015

The first three-quarters of this film are a boring domestic drama that I couldn't have cared less about. Then the big bad monster is revealed: a rabid dog which traps the world's most annoying mom in a beat up Pinto with her equally annoying son. The film took way too long to get to the "horror" portion of the film and then forgot to make it scary.

• Andy Lunn

★★ Watched by Andy Lunn 10 Nov, 2015 4

I would normally object to anyone that reacted to a movie adaptation by saying "The book is better". In the case of Cujo, the movie is okay. I really enjoyed reading the novel.

Did I get away with it?

• Charlie Pacheco

★★★½ Watched by Charlie Pacheco 27 Oct, 2015

Un comienzo lento pero que a medida que la historia avanza consigue atrapar al espectador. Uno de esos finales trágicos que guarda similitudes con "Pet Sematary" aunque sea solo en 2 aspectos, pero en fin, no veras a los perros del mismo modo luego de ver Cujo.

• Devin Sheridan

★★★½ Watched by Devin Sheridan 17 Oct, 2015

Surprisingly effective in making Beethoven scary. And while I dont see the allegory for King's battle with alcoholism, i do see the struggle of anyone who's owned a Ford Pinto.