• Paul Stanis

★★★½ Watched by Paul Stanis 04 Feb, 2016

It's got structural problems. For one thing towards the beginning it looks like Victoria's our main character or at least our POV character, but then she disappears for huge swaths of the movie. Add to that some forced romances, choppy character arcs, a slightly off-the-rails second act, a vampire reveal meant to carry weight that it simply doesn't, and a plot that revolves around several female characters sexually fixating on Johnny Depp.

But in the end it's still kind of…

• Jonas Kromann Rode

★★★ Watched by Jonas Kromann Rode 16 Jan, 2016

3/5

• Sara Michelle

★★ Watched by Sara Michelle 30 Jan, 2016

*Review to come*

• Anna Smith

★★★½ Added by Anna Smith

Pretty good, but not my favorite Burton film. Johnny Depp does play a swell Barnabas, though.

• Silvia Guardiani

★★ Watched by Silvia Guardiani 24 Jan, 2016

Degna di nota è la citazione di The Joker della Steve Miller Band nascosta all'interno di un dialogo di Depp.
    Particolare attenzione anche ad altri due spunti che offre la pellicola, ma sarebbe buona cosa fare parte del pubblico maschile per soppesarli con opportuno giudizio.

• Ceilidh

★★★½ Watched by Ceilidh 29 Jan, 2016

I had fun! It's a bit silly in places, but a lot of it works quite well. Not exactly the tone I was expecting, not outright camp & comedic, a lot of it is surprisingly dark. There's a fair bit of violence, albeit quite bloodless, and more sex (although no nudity whatsoever), than I was expecting from a Burton film. I would love to see a 16+ version of this!

I'm a sucker for this level and type of production design & costuming, so that went a long way.

Overall I feel like this has gotten a bad rap.

• mwheelock

★★★ Watched by mwheelock 28 Jan, 2016

it wasnt great but i mean it was kinda funny

• Antonio Quintero

½ Watched by Antonio Quintero 09 May, 2012

Tim Burton made a movie that is more a parody of the original show than a adaptation. This movie makes no sense, things just happen out of nowhere.

• Adam Loferski

★★½ Watched by Adam Loferski 27 Jan, 2016

Generally not a fan of Burton's stuff. This was bearable.

• Ian Anderson

★★★½ Watched by Ian Anderson 27 Jan, 2016

Johnny Depp in a Tim Burton film, leads to a slightly less flamboyant but no less camp version of Captain Jack Sparrow as a somewhat naive and reluctant vampire. The supporting cast pull out all the Gothic stops in their respective acting repertoires (complete with dramatic poses and meaningful looks at every opportunity, hair flinging and deep cleavages).

This bit of fluff and nonsense, starts off slowly but picks up the pace to gently poke the borax at vampire movies, American Gothic, the early 1970s and Hollywood's depiction of sex.

• Arne G.

★★½ Added by Arne G.

[...] Zusätzlich zur (rein subjektiv) fehlenden Magie ist DARK SHADOWS, ganz untypisch für einen Regisseur von Burton’s Erfahrung und Klasse, zudem recht holperig, zeitweise sogar plump inszeniert. Das beginnt bereits mit der unbeholfenen Einführung, in der uns Vampir Barnabas erst einmal minutenlang aus dem Off erzählen muss worum es eigentlich geht. Wenig subtil, clever erst recht nicht. Schon in diesen ersten Minuten kommt dieerwünschte, durch theatralische Streicher recht aufdringlich vorgetragene Dramatik nicht recht auf und so geht es dann auch…

• CigarsOnMars

★★★½ Rewatched by CigarsOnMars 16 Jan, 2016

Amager Bio vol. 8: Skarpe Tænder!

Nu hvor jeg har set den igen, står den for mig som én af Tim Burtons bedste film, mest fordi at den er meget velbalanceret. Tim Burton kan godt have det med at overdrive sin stil, og man kan godt se at dette er en Tim Burton-film, men på en måde er det meget mere subtilt, og det fungerer rigtig godt. Og så er Johnny Depp også rigtig sjov i rollen som Barnabas Collins.

3,5/5