• mrbdog335

★★ Watched by mrbdog335 26 Oct, 2014

Pedestrian. Only Eva Green's commited performance saves it from absolute tedium.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★ Added by Adrian Zachow

Tim Burton tries to please two masters: the one longing for a melodramatic homage to the TV series it's based on (I only got to see the 90s version), and the one who'd prefer to see it remade as a campy send up. Unfortunately this attempt at a very tricky balance does not succeed strongly on either approach. Dark Shadows often feels like a comedy, but does not deliver sufficiently on laughs. Nor is it consistently intense enough to be…

• Ben Lane

★½ Watched by Ben Lane 08 Jan, 2013

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp’s eighth collaboration is, for the first time, a failure. This film offers some funny moments and sweet touches, but it overall falls flat of what is expected from these two talents. The creepily delicious atmosphere and infallible visuals can’t make up for the lackluster script and an unsatisfying ending. Big disappointment here.

• girlusdorkus

★★½ Watched by girlusdorkus 02 Nov, 2014

Um. What just happened?

• Collykibber

★★★ Watched by Collykibber 14 Nov, 2014

If I have a criticism of the film, it would be how much it trades on 70s jokes and horror movie jokes that have been done to...excuse me.....death. "You're stoned, man" "Yes, I have been stoned but it caused no lasting damage". Something like that and a lot more. So, perhaps that stale feeling extends to Tim Burton's revisions on a theme. Overall, I like the rich texture of his movies and I like Depp's way with such characters; especially…

• Kirsty

★★★ Watched by Kirsty 11 Nov, 2014

This film, for the most part, was pretty predictable, but I very much enjoyed Johnny Depp's portrayal of Barnabas Collins and I thought him very comedic. However, I've found that in the past when actors are producers or co-producers of a movie, as well as acting in it, something is lacking, and this was no different. I felt that more attention could have been paid to other characters such as Victoria Winters or David Collins, considering they had large, emotional back stories. Overall, I found the film slightly awkward, clumsy and a tad cringey, but nevertheless humorous and witty. And I very much enjoyed Depp's makeup.

• Bobby Hill

★★★ Watched by Bobby Hill 06 Nov, 2014

Enjoyable, mostly for Depp and Green's performance, but I felt like I only watched half a film. There seemed to be swathes of content left on the cutting room floor somewhere. There were many ancillary characters that were just left in the background.

• CrazieCabbie

★½ Watched by CrazieCabbie 05 Nov, 2014

Pandering pop culture references, overly broad humor, and an overstuffed and disjointed plot cripple Dark Shadows, and the complete lack of character development drives the stake through its heart. (Get it? I did, like, a thing.)

• caty_kelsey

★★★★½ Added by caty_kelsey

I absolutely loved this movie! The mix of humor and corniness caught me. Johnny Depp is a god.

• reelman

★★★½ Rewatched by reelman 31 Oct, 2014

More enjoyable with each viewing. Third go-round for me. Depp is hilarious.

• sbaldwin16

★★½ Watched by sbaldwin16 30 Oct, 2014

I'm going to give this film (or at least the screenwriter) the benefit of the doubt and assume that the script is not originally bad but that way because they are trying very hard to fit several years into a single feature-length film. That would explain several confusing points of the story such as Victoria's background, what's going on with David's mom, and the out of nowhere reveal that we get about Chloe Grace Moretz's character. Needless to say, except for a couple of witty one-liner's from Depp, this film is wholly ignorable.

• Steve Nixon

★★★ Watched by Steve Nixon 28 Oct, 2014 4

Never seen the TV show but was pleasantly surprised by this, yes Eva Green hams it up as usual, yes Burton gives his missus a part even though she can't act and yes it's all about Depp really but it bobs along nicely and doesn't offend greatly until that child's werewolf.