• Matthew Morris

★★★★★ Added by Matthew Morris

Best zombie film ever made. Zack really is a master of visual panache and his debut film perfectly exemplified that.

• Lasse Marhaug

★★ Rewatched by Lasse Marhaug 23 Aug, 2015

Ten years down the line the running dead have not aged well at all. In fact the only reason to sit through this puff piece is a few decent gore bits and Sarah Polley's performance. But the real tragedy is not that they remade a perfect film, it's that it gave Zack Snyder a career in movies.

• Alfred Maynard

★★★ Rewatched by Alfred Maynard 21 Aug, 2015

Nice reboot

• Johan Söderberg

★★★★½ Added by Johan Söderberg

Scary and thrilling. I don't generally watch horror films, but I loved this one.

• Jeremy Heilman

★★★ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 27 Oct, 2004

The second viewing of this leaves me even less impressed. Even the opening fifteen minutes, which seemed energetic and apocalyptic at first glance feel like a cheap violation of the "rules" of zombie behavior that are later established. It's tempting to be forgiving that the film isn't scary at all -- and is occasionally kind of lame -- now, since I'm re-watching it, but the other Dead films hold up nicely enough that I can't help judge this more harshly.

51/100

• whatthehec_tor

★★★½ Rewatched by whatthehec_tor 13 Aug, 2015

Not as satirical as the original.
    Feels more like an action zombie movie than a horror zombie film.
    Sarah Polley is pretty awful in the lead role.
    Not much character development.
    HOWEVER
    It's a bloody fun time.
    It's got some witty and dark sense of humor.
    There's some creative set pieces.
    The truly palpable relationship was between Ving Rhames' character and the character of Andy.
    There's a badass dog in it.
    And Zack Snyder showed some promise with this film.

• Bruno Dias

★★½ Watched by Bruno Dias 12 Aug, 2015

Um filme cliché de zombies, tem tudo o que é preciso para as pessoas sentirem compaixão pelas personagens, mas os zombies ficam aquém do esperado... é claro que ainda não havia The Walking Dead, para seguir de modelo, mas para um serão de tarde ou para amantes de zombies é um filme agradável de se ver!

• Megan Baker

★★★★½ Rewatched by Megan Baker 07 Aug, 2015

As far as horror remakes go, I consider this second only to John Carpenter's The Thing. It's one of my go-to's if I wanted to watch something gory and fun. While it doesn't hold the social commentary Romero's original Dawn had, it replaces it with big horror action, amazing practical effects and a great cast who find themselves holed up in a mall during the zombie apocalypse.

At the time of Dawn of the Dead's release (I didn't see it…

• vhs_vampire

★★★★ Rewatched by vhs_vampire 28 Jul, 2015

Still lots of chaotic fun in the opening! Man oh man, I want more of that. The Andy character is a great addition to their story. Let's talk more about this in person.

• Rhys Bowen Jones

★★★ Watched by Rhys Bowen Jones 08 Aug, 2015

Fun, silly, decently gory if not at all scary, and further proof that a mall is the best place to go in a zombie apocalypse.

• mvmckenzie

★★★ Rewatched by mvmckenzie 01 Aug, 2015

to date, still the only zack snyder film i don't actively dislike.

• t2kickassjedi

★★★★½ Added by t2kickassjedi

Dawn of the Dead is a really fun zombie horror comedy film with a fun concept and cool zombie effects and a great ending.