• Jack1704

★★½ Watched by Jack1704 24 Apr, 2014 2

No idea what to mark this film as I watched most of it from behind the settee, between my fingers and sometimes in a different room. And do you know why? Its because I am shit scared of Zombie films.

If you are going to watch it then don't do it how I did it.

They have a bit of a bite on them.

• Lollyfist

★★★★ Rewatched by Lollyfist 20 Apr, 2014 1

This is one of the best horror films ever made. It is a remake, of another excellent film, but it is handled in the way you would hope every remake or 're-imagining' would get the chance to be. It knows it isn't the original and it knows it has a lot to live up to. It was released at the beginning of the current enormous wave of Zombie-tainment and as such was more of a trailblazer than bandwagon follower, even…

• KUATO2084

★★★★ Added by KUATO2084

Blu-ray review:

Detailed gore and scarier sounding undead. The action comes out with much more of a bang in high definition.

The screenplay could have been a little better, for example there could have been another act in between the mall and the marina. The final scene should have been longer, but it does make sense that it happens so fast because that'd be the only way to survive leaving the mall which is surrounded by the undead.

• TR_EX

★★★★ Watched by TR_EX 18 Mar, 2014

That was thrilling!

Despite for the acting and the flat characters, Dawn of the Dead is
    mostly awesome.

The crew made everything right on the technical level. Great zombie make up (not so great blood, though), amazing structure of tension and surprise and the two “survival” trucks are just awesome, even though absolutely over the top.

Uncommon, but interesting and fitting cut especially during the first 30 minutes maybe influenced by video game settings. After that it drifts off in typical action manner.

And while you’re busy with the exciting theatre, you can totally connive the shitty, but rare, CGI.

• Ryan Vienneau

★★★ Watched by Ryan Vienneau 14 Mar, 2014

I am a huge fan of George Romero's original 1970s classic Dawn of the Dead. I do not hesitate to call it both my favourite horror movie and one of my all time favourite movies. I can watch it over and over again without ever getting bored. Though both Day and Night are great films Dawn will always be my favourite of the original "of the Dead" films.

Leading up to seeing the remake I was very skeptical because of…

• Thomas McCallum

★★★★ Rewatched by Thomas McCallum 12 Mar, 2014

Performances : 7.3/10
    Story : 8.3/10
    Production : 8.5/10
    Overall : 8.07/10

A remake in the loosest sense of the word, Dawn of the Dead is as haunting, shocking, bloody and fun as the original, even if it doesn't follow the same narrative. On the surface it may seem that the only thing that the two Dawns have in common is their mall-centric setting but if you dig a little deeper you'll notice the references and in-jokes. It's these things…

• Matthew Dunseath

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Dunseath 09 Mar, 2014 7

In a barrage of Hollywood remakes, rehashes, sequels and retweaks it's always surprising when a moderately good one slips through the net of forgettable blockbuster trash, but that's exactly what Zack Snyder's homage to George A. romero's original series of zombie flicks did.

The original focused on a smaller cast, allowing more screen time per character while, Synder's film follows overworked nurse Ana (Sarah Polley) and an unlikely crew, as they try to survive the horrors of the seemingly phantom…

• Frederick Parra

★★★ Watched by Frederick Parra 08 Mar, 2014

No soy fan de las pelis de zombies, y tampoco vi la película original de 1978, pero esto resultó decente y entretenido.

La acción en vivo es intensa y se profundiza mucho en los personajes, quizás demasiado, entre la primera media hora y acercándose al final pareciera que no pasara nada relevante, eso le quita un poco de peso. Los personajes también toman decisiones un poco estúpidas, quizás por la misma presión

No es solo una historia sobre zombies, también trata sobre las emociones humanas llevadas al máximo cuando la sobrevivencia es primordial.

• Pyrohemian

★★★½ Watched by Pyrohemian 14 Feb, 2014

Dawn of the Dead is a competent re-imagining of a well respected original film. Tense and fast paced it focuses on the horror aspects of the film and leaves behind the thematic resonance of it's predecessor but manages to stay watchable and coherent.

It's kind of really depressing to see what has happened to Zack Snyder's career because I think he really really proves here that with a decent script he can deliver an enjoyable film.

• Hannah M

★★★½ Watched by Hannah M 05 Mar, 2014

This movie does a really good job of blending horror and action, and it ends up with a really compelling tone, going back and forth between creepy atmosphere-building scenes and high-energy actiony fights without letting either one really dominate. The fast zombies are pretty terrifying, but so is just the sheer number of them. Overall, it's a really effective zombie horror flick with moderately intelligent characters and a lot of fun scenes. Nicely done.

How it entered my Flickchart:
    Dawn…

• RIMovieCorner

★★★½ Added by RIMovieCorner

Remakes, especially horror remakes, don't always end up as well as studios hope they will. Thankfully, the remake of George Romero's 'Dawn of the Dead' (directed by then first-time director Zack Snyder) is a solidly entertaining remake that does enough to serve as its own film.

• Hector Lester-George

★★ Watched by Hector Lester-George 01 Mar, 2014

Really wasn't fussed by this at all. It felt bland and completely without personality, and I don't think I ever really liked any of the characters. And if you don't like any of the characters, what is there to make you care about them in a survival movie?