• Gray Whitten

★★★½ Rewatched by Gray Whitten 17 Aug, 2014

Let the James Gunn Summer Retrospective continue.

Such a sharp movie. I like it quite a bit. Sarah Polley is a BOSS.

• zombietimm

★★★★ Watched by zombietimm 15 Aug, 2014

Dawn of the Dead is one of the best zombie movies out there. It's more about survival than action or gore. Not that there are some great gory bits. From the exceptional opening scenes to the glimpses of video through the closing credits this film delivers. Sarah Polley shines as Ana. Ving Rhames sought his role as Kenneth and it shows in his great performance. Ty Burrell plays the perfect cocky asshole. The rest of the cast does wonderfully as…

• scotts2323

★★★ Watched by scotts2323 17 Aug, 2014

Any zombie movie that uses Disturbed "Down with Sickness covered by Dick Cheese is alright by me. Good zombies, dumb humans.

• Dan Bergstrom

★★★★ Added by Dan Bergstrom

I just watched this again today. Probably the 4th or 5th time I've seen it (including twice in the theater). I normally don't get too stoked over remakes. But this movie isn't really a remake to me. Honestly, I think it did itself a disservice by calling it Dawn of the Dead. The only two things it has in common with the original are zombies and a mall. Switch up the location and call it something else. At any rate,…

• MovieGenius

★★★★ Rewatched by MovieGenius 10 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Neal Anderson

★★★½ Watched by Neal Anderson 10 Aug, 2014

Although this isn't saying a whole lot since I hate zombie films with a passion, this is probably the best conventional, mainstream, non-satirical, zombie film I've seen.

• Nathan Anderson

★★★½ Watched by Nathan Anderson 10 Aug, 2014

Probably the best mainstream zombie film I've seen to date, again that's not a parody like Shaun of the Dead or independent like The Battery.

Those two top this one as films, but Dawn of the Dead did a pretty good job, and is successful as a remake, which doesn't happen too often.

• MatthewLB

★★★★½ Watched by MatthewLB 10 Aug, 2014

A remake that didn't suck.

• Joel H

★★★★ Rewatched by Joel H 05 Aug, 2014

Phil from MODERN FAMILY has ruined this for me.

• fixbane

★★★★ Added by fixbane

p good

• Rob Leane

★★★ Watched by Rob Leane 31 Jul, 2014

While not fated to go down in history as a genre-defining fan favourite like the original DotD, this remake is far more solid than many remember.

Snyder's direction is less obtrusive than it is nowadays - crafting some neat visual moments at regular intervals, while Gunn's script is real treat - offering up hearty (or should that be brainy?) portions of homage, emotional depth and rich, varied characters throughout. Strong performances and a brilliant closing credits are a bonus.

• Secretkey

★★★★ Added by Secretkey

Habe das Original nicht gesehen, aber bei einem Horror-Remake habe ich mir erstmal keine großen Hoffnungen gemacht. Aber völlig zu Unrecht! Der Film kam echt aus dem Nichts und hat mich doch erstaunt, weil er mich richtiggehend packen konnte. Die Interaktionen der Charaktere verliehen dem ganzen Gewicht, er war bis zum Schluss spannend und die ganze Kaufhaus-Situation hat ohnehin richtig gezündet! Einer der besten Zombie-Filme, den ich gesehen habe! Nur die Szene nach dem Abspann hätte es meiner Meinung nach absolut nicht gebraucht.