• Luke Poulton

★★★★ Rewatched by Luke Poulton 25 Apr, 2016

Still Zack Snyder's best film and still one of the best remakes.

• kaijumax

★★★½ Watched by kaijumax 20 Apr, 2016

One of the better horror remakes out there. I like it a lot more than the original, which I also like. If you don't watch the first 20 minutes with the overhead car ride and the first couple attacks and don't enjoy it, the you're a zombie!

• Jason

★★★½ Watched by Jason 19 Apr, 2016

Zack Snyder being Zack Snyder, he likes to do things his own way, and his remake of Dawn of the Dead somewhat distances itself from the original.

The film starts off quite rapidly with little to no preamble, straight into the zombie action. We don't know, or frankly care, where the zombie outbreak started. It's all about survival.

Another big difference in this version is the zombies themselves. In the original, and in most other zombie media, the zombies are…

• Valtteri Lepistö

Watched by Valtteri Lepistö 16 Apr, 2016

Zombie film with shoot-out duel between black man with zombie family and a granny, damn! Countless of things don't really work here but they don't really need to either when so many little details startle effectively. Snyder has big problems ending the film convincingly but on the other hand, how to convincingly end such film? It feels as if Snyder first tries more subtle way but realizes that it doesn't really work and decides to correct it during the credits. Who ever was responsible for that credit sequence, yuck... I want to see the longer cut!

• G.Y. Haney

★★★★★ Rewatched by G.Y. Haney 08 Apr, 2016

One of the few remakes I not only tolerate, but actually love. This stands on its own apart from the original. A stylized thrillride with relatable characters and great performances. The first 10 and a half minutes feature more spectacular (and motivated!) shots than most films have in their entire running time. From a visual standpoint, Snyder can direct the hell out of a film. Now if he'd only work more consistently with good writers and leave Superman alone...

• phreak2day

★★★ Watched by phreak2day 11 Apr, 2016

OK, so I liked that the zombies in this movie were fast, and I really mean FAST! I also liked that the movie was quite bleak, it made it a bit more unique and refreshing. But all in all it was just an average experience and nothing more.

• Dave

★★★★ Watched by Dave 03 Apr, 2016

Color me impressed. This movie is very well done. They abandon some of the camp of the original to pursue a more tense more terrifying zombie concept but they weave in just enough humor (and some very welcome cameos from the original - good to see Tom Savini!) to give it a soul and some character rather then just making a terrifying gore fest. The movie is structured very well and the characters are a good mix of appealing folks…

• Nick

★★★★ Rewatched by Nick 02 Apr, 2016

hardly revolutionary within the subgenre, but this wastes no time in getting its equally nihilistic and enthusiastically violent vision of Romero’s classic going. takes a selection of humanity and explores the relationship between violence and power in America – something Snyder would explore further in his later work – this time doing so in apocalyptic conditions. not that it would dare sacrificing its relentlessly savage spirit, however. some would call it hypocritical, though I would argue this uses said savagery to criticize Western culture’s interminable zombie fantasy/nightmare; perfectly balancing its criticism and indulgence in barbaric violence.

• Liam Dempsey

★★★★ Watched by Liam Dempsey 02 Apr, 2016

Writer, James Gunn, and Director, Zak Snyder's exciting and urgent remake of Romero's seminal Zombie film ditches the consumerism satire and replaces it with non-stop thrills which just about works out as a fair trade.

• Gabriel Guimarães

★★★ Watched by Gabriel Guimarães 31 Mar, 2016

A little Snyder before watching BvS tomorrow: his first movie, a remake of Romero's classic zombie flick (which I haven't seen yet, so it's easier to judge this one here by its merits). From the start you get Snyder is more interested in visuals than character, and that's fine by me. The problem is the weird pacing, sometimes halting the movie for no good reason. Still, there's interesting and heavy scenes, and it's clear Zack knows how to make a cool blockbuster, if anything. Doesn't beat 28 days later..., though.

• Sigfred Storstrand

★★★★ Rewatched by Sigfred Storstrand 30 Mar, 2016

Bumping this down one grade, just didnt happen to be as mindblowing as i remember from high school. But still, as the original did at its time, this set the zombiemovie standard for the new millennium. Despite all the shit floating around about Zack Snyder with the new Batman v Superman being a floater, the dude is a solid director. He knows action, and he knows how to make a movie look great. His visual style doesnt show as much…

• Zach A.M.

★★ Watched by Zach A.M. 30 Mar, 2016

Pretty tepid stuff for the first half, but once the actions gets going and it kicks into zombie-killing gear it becomes a much more enthralling movie.

Not sure who deserved MVP more: Ving Rhames or Michael Kelly's moustache.