• Shoumik Hassin

★★★ Watched by Shoumik Hassin 07 Oct, 2015

If 3/5 seems like I'm grading on a curve, I am. And there's no curve more forgiving than the one for horror re-makes from the 2000s. This movie might actually have negative substance to it.

Interesting detail: James Gunn, of all people, wrote this. Draw your own conclusions.

• Daniel Bonnington

★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Bonnington 05 Oct, 2015

31 Days of Horror- Film #5

• James Kujawa

★★½ Watched by James Kujawa 04 Oct, 2015

It's fine, I guess. They extracted any sense of horror from the original and made it more of a pure action movie, which is whatever. Zack Snyder keeps the Snyderness to a bare minimum. Plain, but acceptable.

• PsychoSavager

★★★ Added by PsychoSavager

Decent zombie movie with some good set pieces.

Fun fact: this is the first 18-rated movie I saw at the cinema

• Robin Solsjö Höglund

★★★★½ Rewatched by Robin Solsjö Höglund 03 Oct, 2015

Part of the October Original vs. Remake-athon!

I think this is more like it, to say the damn least. Zack Snyder's directorial feature debut, the remake of Dawn of the Dead, caught us all by surprise. I remember wanting to see the movie in theatres in my tiny Swedish town, but per the usual it was delayed for months, and then hastily thrown into a few screenings for a week or so, meaning I missed my window of opportunity.

• Leo Brady

★★★★ Watched by Leo Brady 01 Oct, 2015

When I say that this is a rag tag bunch that Zach Snyder rounded up for this movie, I mean it. Look at the cast: Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Mekhi Phifer, and Ty Burrell? It is an off collection of actors that's for sure. They are all holed up in a Milwaukee Mall, where they try the best they can to survive the zombie apocalypse. The mall becomes their fortress, as the walking dead begin to line up outside like the new iPhone was just released. This actually might be one of Zach Snyder's best films? Am I wrong?

• Brian

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian 01 Oct, 2015

Day #1 of 31 Days of Halloween 2015

• Brian Stack

Watched by Brian Stack 27 Apr, 2014

When zombies attack, the survivors break into a shopping mall and hunker down.

I love Sarah Polley, but this film is a waste of her talent.

Zack Snyder's unique visual style is not enough to elevate this uninspired remake. There are countless better films and TV shows featuring zombies.

I won't watch this again and discourage anyone else from putting themselves through the misery.

• SpringwdSlasher

★★★½ Added by SpringwdSlasher

Remaking a classic is quite a bold choice for a directorial debut, but damn it if Zack Snyder didn't pull it off. Snyder gets a lot of hate but I find him to be quite a talented guy. This isn't a perfect film and it's got some Eli Roth-esque campy moments that don't perfectly mesh with the serious stuff, but plenty of those moments (like the characters on the roof holding up signs) still work. This is the best kind…

• juniorcain

★★★ Rewatched by juniorcain 23 Sep, 2015

Insgesamt solide inszenierter, technisch versierter Survival-Horror ohne neue Impulse für ein bereits 2004 ausgelutschtes Genre. Zack Snyder schickt seine stereotypen, meist uncharismatischen Figuren von einer blutigen Szene zur nächsten und langweilt dazwischen mit platten Dialogen und vorhersehbaren Konflikten. Sein Können liegt im Handwerklichen, wie dem modernen (etwas zu bunten) Look und der treibenden Musik - Erzählweise und Spannungsaufbau gelingen ihm dagegen nur selten. Unvorteilhaft also, dass der Aktionsraum der ersten 70 Minuten auf das Einkaufszentrum beschränkt bleibt, wo sich die…

• Fesapo

★★★½ Added by Fesapo

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Charchuk 01 Sep, 2006

Quite entertaining, very well-made, and just plain cool. Though much more action than horror, and perhaps containing too much zombie killing and not enough social commentary, but this is mere nitpicking. The beginning is simply brilliant, from the opening attack scene to the driving scene, which is so well shot and just chilling in its depiction of the apocalypse. Not to mention the wicked credits, incorporating a Johnny Cash song into some memorable stock footage. The first 90 minutes or…