• Hari

Watched by Hari 22 Aug, 2014

Peter Weir- 'the genius and the gentleman' from all accounts. (Aussie Aussie Aussie). The tone, the iconic score and the cinematography complement the fantastic performances from actors such as Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard as Neil and of course, Robin Williams.

Robin Williams breaking down after reading Neil's book remains one of my most memorable scenes of his. Here is a character (and actor) who we as the audience can't imagine bears the same human emotional responses and troubles as the rest of us. A giant.

"Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black. Cutting through the forest with a golden track".

• Thomas Wishloff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Thomas Wishloff 22 Aug, 2014

It's like the only "feel good movie" that doesn't become a cheesy caricature of itself.

• Jack Ando

★★★½ Watched by Jack Ando 18 Aug, 2014

Robin Williams character makes this movie worth watching.

• Greg Ebdon

★★★★ Watched by Greg Ebdon 17 Aug, 2014

"We're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."

"I was the intellectual equivalent of a 98-pound weakling. I'd go to the beach and people would kick copies of Byron in my face." - Prof. John Keating

If only it was possible to travel back and watch this 25 years ago when it wasn't a cliché.

Watched as part of my Robin Williams tribute week.

• Rian Miller

★★★★ Rewatched by Rian Miller 13 Aug, 2014

Another part of my posthumous Robin Williams binge. I had seen Dead Poets Society in a long ago English class, but forgotten most of it. Williams is outstanding in this, but hardly feels like the focus. That's not really a good or bad thing, but it definitely leaves lots of room for the young actors who play his students to repeatedly steal the show from one another. Things may get a little melodramatic from time to time, but there's no…

• Melchiadesian

★★★★★ Added by Melchiadesian

Imádtam minden percét

• Kev.

★★★★½ Watched by Kev. 20 Aug, 2014

Dead Poets Society inspires and motivates, capturing themes of friendship, acceptance, free thinking, artistic integrity, pursuing your dreams, and the undeniable dilemma that is identity. Kind, but not sappy. Motivational, but not preachy. Thoughtful, but not complex. It's a simple tale that is imminently re-watchable, filled with fantastic performances and great direction from Peter Weir. Everything clicks into place here. There's humor, heart, and sadness. The final scene is a culmination of everything that came before it, containing ferocious emotional power that only comes around every once in a great while. Tears were shed.

R.I.P. Robin Williams, you fucking genius.

• Matthew Beem

★★★★★ Watched by Matthew Beem 19 Aug, 2014

I'm writing this review while standing atop of my desk

• Mette Kowalski

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mette Kowalski 17 Aug, 2014

Dreams Come True
    Peace Is Found (Sort of) But
    Saaaad Is the Way

• Movieman97

★★★★½ Added by Movieman97

"Dead Poets Society" is an inspiring and heartwarming feature, woven with themes of creativity and passion. From one memorable scene to the next, "Dead Poets Society" is filled with strong and thought-provoking writing, steady directing, one of the most powerful endings ever put to film, and a beautifully transcendent performance from the great Robin Williams.

• Andy F.

★★★★ Watched by Andy F. 19 Aug, 2014

One of those movies that somehow I've never seen, and it's sad that it took Robin Williams' passing to do so. Peter Weir directed this great flick, which seemed to single handedly create the genre of inspirational teacher movies...nearly all of which are pale imitations of this surprisingly underplayed drama. What impressed me is how little it's actually about Robin Williams' John Keating character, and how much of it is about the students' transformations. All he does is show them…

• Jason