• Mania

★★★ Watched by Mania 17 Sep, 2014

σίγουρα το detachment είναι μια καλοφτιαγμένη ταινία, με έναν Brody που δεν σε αφήνει να πάρεις τα μάτια σου από πάνω του και μια ιστορία που ανήκει στην κατηγορία " θα έπρεπε να μας τα δείχνουν στο σχολείο αυτά " .

ΑΛΛΑ μου θυμίζει κάτι από Precious ( if you know what i mean ) και εγώ κάτι τέτοια δεν τα μπορώ. ναι, το θέμα είναι σοβαρό. ναι, συμβαίνει γύρω μας. ναι, τρίψε το μου στη μούρη, μην με αφήσεις να κοιμηθώ. γιατί όμως να καταλήξεις στα ίδια, τα γνωστά, τα χιλιοειπωμένα ;

γενικά, αντικαταπληκτικά .

• Marika

★★★★★ Watched by Marika 13 Sep, 2014

At the end of this film the only thing I found myself thinking is, “Man, I didn’t expect that.” What a flawless performance by Adrien Brody and Sami Gayle!

Detachment is a film about so many things, where do I begin? It's about a substitute teacher with a phobia of permanency. A young girl who is forced into prostitution because of a lack of family. It's about the importance of guidance and the significance of its absence. It's about the…

• Daniel

★★★½ Watched by Daniel 07 Sep, 2014

dark, and poignant

• Satvrnino

★★½ Added by Satvrnino

Esta película marca el regreso del director Tony Kaye (American History X, 1998) con un drama de similar exposición: el panorama desolador de la educación y su quebradiza relación con la principal institución en la sociedad norteamericana.

Hay mucho que destacar en este film: el tratamiento que el director le imprime a manera de documental; la animación explicativa del sentir de varios personajes y trazada con gis; los personajes bien delineados (aunque algunos bastante cliché) e igualmente actuados por sus…

• AngryAssSloth

★★★★ Watched by AngryAssSloth 22 Aug, 2014

Detachment takes on a whole lot of issues. For the most part it does a pretty good job with these issues. Some of these issues include parenting, schools, prostitution, depression, and suicide. All of these are very sensitive issues that this film takes a look at. The whole substitute teacher in a poor school system thing is a bit repeated and I found nothing really new from there. As Cartman would say, "How do I reach these kids?".

What I really liked about this film was the multitude of other issues that Tony Kaye touched on.

• Andrew Drewes

Watched by Andrew Drewes 21 Aug, 2014

You would think that a film that dares to confront such complex issues as healthcare, the education system, and prostitution (to name a few) would have a touch of subtlety. Nope. That's not the case here. The film is a lumbering cyclops with no aim or tact. It yells so much that by thens end, it has forgotten what it was yelling at in the first place. A singularly empty experience.

• joerobinow

★★★★ Added by joerobinow

Damn movie making me fucking cry.

• John Markham

★★★★½ Watched by John Markham 19 Mar, 2012

Detachment is an astonishing film. Plain and simple. It is an emotionally devastating and unapologetic look into the American schooling system and powerful critique of it. For anyone who has not heard of Tony Kaye, he is the man who made the legendary American History X and then disowned it. Yet again, he has crafted a harrowing, brutal and poignant film that is already on my Top 10 of 2012 list.

The film follows Henry Barthes (Brody), who is a…

• Pitypalatty

★★★½ Watched by Pitypalatty 09 Aug, 2014

I expected a feelgood movie and was I wrong... That's more like a feelbad movie. I really like that kind of angst and nihilism, and there were a few really strong scenes, but the ending was very cliched and pointless, so it's a hit and miss for me.

• justinC

★★★★½ Watched by justinC 05 Aug, 2014 7

Teachers deserve more credit than they are given not only in America but globally. I couldn't do it as most people wouldn't be able to not only teach, but actually get through to students who are nearly impossible as alot of teachers end up babysitting.

Detachment is about Henry Barthes a substitute school teacher and his own unstable life of never settling down or facing his own issues.

Mr. Barthes knows how to teach though, how to stimulate the kids…

• Q

★★★★★ Added by Q

A great, sad, beautiful movie.

• Jafalad

★★★ Watched by Jafalad 19 Jul, 2014

A film that explores themes of parenting/childhood, education and existentialism. It's an uneven film that has one too many subplots for my liking. However, the film is it at it's strongest when it explores the relationship between sub-teacher Barthes and the three people who enter his life particularly Erika, a young prostitute. This is a film you try to like but it's fragmented narrative is a distraction.