• AngryAssSloth

★★★★ Watched by AngryAssSloth 22 Aug, 2014

Detachment takes on a whole lot of issues. For the most part it does a pretty good job with these issues. Some of these issues include parenting, schools, prostitution, depression, and suicide. All of these are very sensitive issues that this film takes a look at. The whole substitute teacher in a poor school system thing is a bit repeated and I found nothing really new from there. As Cartman would say, "How do I reach these kids?".

What I really liked about this film was the multitude of other issues that Tony Kaye touched on.

• Andrew Drewes

Watched by Andrew Drewes 21 Aug, 2014

You would think that a film that dares to confront such complex issues as healthcare, the education system, and prostitution (to name a few) would have a touch of subtlety. Nope. That's not the case here. The film is a lumbering cyclops with no aim or tact. It yells so much that by thens end, it has forgotten what it was yelling at in the first place. A singularly empty experience.

• joerobinow

★★★★ Added by joerobinow

Damn movie making me fucking cry.

• John Markham

★★★★½ Watched by John Markham 19 Mar, 2012

Detachment is an astonishing film. Plain and simple. It is an emotionally devastating and unapologetic look into the American schooling system and powerful critique of it. For anyone who has not heard of Tony Kaye, he is the man who made the legendary American History X and then disowned it. Yet again, he has crafted a harrowing, brutal and poignant film that is already on my Top 10 of 2012 list.

The film follows Henry Barthes (Brody), who is a…

• Pitypalatty

★★★½ Watched by Pitypalatty 09 Aug, 2014

I expected a feelgood movie and was I wrong... That's more like a feelbad movie. I really like that kind of angst and nihilism, and there were a few really strong scenes, but the ending was very cliched and pointless, so it's a hit and miss for me.

• justinC

★★★★½ Watched by justinC 05 Aug, 2014 7

Teachers deserve more credit than they are given not only in America but globally. I couldn't do it as most people wouldn't be able to not only teach, but actually get through to students who are nearly impossible as alot of teachers end up babysitting.

Detachment is about Henry Barthes a substitute school teacher and his own unstable life of never settling down or facing his own issues.

Mr. Barthes knows how to teach though, how to stimulate the kids…

• Q

★★★★★ Added by Q

A great, sad, beautiful movie.

• Jafalad

★★★ Watched by Jafalad 19 Jul, 2014

A film that explores themes of parenting/childhood, education and existentialism. It's an uneven film that has one too many subplots for my liking. However, the film is it at it's strongest when it explores the relationship between sub-teacher Barthes and the three people who enter his life particularly Erika, a young prostitute. This is a film you try to like but it's fragmented narrative is a distraction.

• sprizzle

★★★½ Watched by sprizzle 16 Jul, 2014 1

Detachment is the way out.

This is a film with a clear message. It's Adrian Brody telling us about life and how we have all failed. How we only care about ourselves. How we take the easy way out. His character is guilty of the same. He tries his best to make a difference in the troubled youths surrounding him, but realizes how futile it is. The film is about trying your best even when it doesn't look like that's…

• Peter Harkess

★★★★★ Watched by Peter Harkess 14 Jul, 2014

Intense! If Terrence Malik lived on planet earth and not the neoplatonic fantasy he inhabits he would have called this film "The Tree of Life". Furthermore, Tony Kaye needs to make more films and everyone should watch them.

• amyjackson

★★★★★ Added by amyjackson 4

uncomfortable, powerful. should have watched this a long time ago - don't let the subject matter (a substitute teacher) or your expectations (for me, a slightly edgier dead poet's society) trick you into dismissing this film. hard to digest & hard, in places, to accept how sad the lives of others can be.

• Ferrandis

Watched by Ferrandis 22 Dec, 2013

La presentación de "Detachment" sugiere que nos vamos a encontrar con la típica historia de un profesor al que le endosan una clase de energúmenos y australopitecos pero al final él los conduce por la buena senda de la vida a base de hablarles en prosa y de enseñarles la grandeza de la obra de Charles Dickens y de Hemingway. Son felices, comen perdices, los alumnos se gradúan en Harvard, el prota se casa con la profesora buenorra del instituto,…