• Vibhor

★★★★ Watched by Vibhor 17 Apr, 2015

Oh i loved it in every way. maybe because i've always been falling apart. :)

• Jessie Alexander

★★★★ Watched by Jessie Alexander 14 Apr, 2015

Debated whether or not I could "like" a film that made me feel so terrible.

But Brody is captivating in every somber, soul-crushing, disarming moment. I couldn't look away. For a film called Detachment, there was no removing myself from the deep emotional current that he embodies. And yes, the manipulation in this film is palpable. But Brody's performance somehow makes that okay. Through his eyes we see that the world is broken. The system is broken. Even the minuscule details are broken. But there is beauty to be found and humanity to be examined in the shards.

• Joe Hastings

★★★★★ Watched by Joe Hastings 10 Apr, 2015 3

"How about I stab your ass for giving me an F."
    That's not a quote from the film. One of my fellow college graduates became a teacher while I went the business route. He wanted to make a difference and was left disappointed.

At one time I actually wanted to become a teacher, but the thought of low pay and teaching kids how to pass state tests ended that. Many will see this as a negative view of an important…

• OmnipotentDog

★★½ Watched by OmnipotentDog 10 Apr, 2015

Detachment is a film that I really wish that I liked more. It follows the life of a high school substitute teacher, played by Adrien Brody, and the struggles and complications that come with the job. Like its title suggests, Brody's character, along with practically every other character in this story, has formed a sense of detachment, or numbness, from the world, and as the film progresses, we see Brody's character grow as he forms relationships with the people around…

• Daniel Lentini

★★★ Watched by Daniel Lentini 06 Apr, 2015

Absolutely absurd and frankly hard to watch at times, Detachment avoids being a train wreck with some solid performance and cinematic charm.

• Antonio Sánchez

★★★★★ Watched by Antonio Sánchez 06 Apr, 2015

La puta mejor película sobre el vacío existencial y la educación... Kaye se ha superado después de American History X. Papelón de Adrien Brody. OBRA MAESTRA que nos da el puñetazo en el estómago más grande de nuestra vida.

• Dave Jackson

★★★★ Watched by Dave Jackson 04 Apr, 2015

I did not enjoy the heavy-handed American History X (I haven't seen it since it came out), so I did not expect to get much out of Detachment. But wow... I should not have started watching this at 1AM this morning because it utterly destroyed me.

I kept thinking all throughout its running time, "I should be hating this." Detachment features all the hallmarks of a film I should hate. There's no subtlety in its emotional manipulation. It violently hammers…

• KingSoupnut

★★½ Watched by KingSoupnut 03 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A film that starts really well, but collapses under the weight of its own ambition. Brody puts in a solid performance as a brooding teacher with a tough past and the film keeps your interest for the majority. Having said that, I felt it was about 30-45 minutes too long. At first the emotional aspects of the film draw you into the life of Henry Barthes (Brody) and its all very real and believable. You see the life of a…

• Gabriela

★★★★★ Watched by Gabriela 02 Apr, 2015

"Whatever is on my mind, I say it as I feel it, I'm truthful to myself; I'm young and I'm old, I've been bought and I've been sold, so many times. I am hard-faced, I am gone. I am just like you."

• Daryl Purdie

Watched by Daryl Purdie 14 Feb, 2015

#Filmreview Detachment ★ Ultra dreary & depressing, earnest, contrived try to be arty, teacher in a tough school flick is well worth a miss.

• Quan_Chi

★★★ Watched by Quan_Chi 12 Mar, 2015

I have a few big problems with this film creatively and even morally, but at the same time I think that this is an important film to see.

• Sheryl

★★★★ Watched by Sheryl 06 Mar, 2015

"I just realised something. I'm a non-person, Sarah... You may see me. I'm hollow."

So heavy. There is definitely no room for reprieve with this movie. Much like Kaye's first feature, American History X, it's a steady decline from feeling sad to feeling very much dead in the soul. It should end optimistically, and at least hints at something like that, but the film is still a very harrowing experience. The writing is incredible, and Adrien Brody delivers so gloriously.…