• Matt Thomas

★★★ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 24 Oct, 2014

Not an easy film to enjoy, but Kaye holds things together very well and Brody gives a strong, compassionate performance.

• Koner

★★★★½ Watched by Koner 01 Oct, 2014

Adrian, BRO you DY such a good job.

• MrPootytang

★★★★½ Watched by MrPootytang 01 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Alice Bishop

Watched by Alice Bishop 25 Sep, 2014

Going into this film with the expectation that it was a high school drama I was surprised at how resolutely it became a tale of anger and despair.

If you remove all of the scenes where characters are shouting at each other there would be next to no footage left. Insolent kids and arrogant teachers play games in miscommunication as they battle to be heard. This is unfortunately at the expense of a nurturing environment to ease the viewer into.…

• Arild Sundby

★★★★½ Watched by Arild Sundby 19 Sep, 2014

"A substitute teacher who drifts from classroom to classroom finds a connection to the students and teachers during his latest assignment."

Adrien Brody plays a substitute teacher whos life is worse and harder than you might think. Brody deliveres something out of this world (as usual), and bringes a whole another dimension to this movie.

This movie is extremely gritty and powerful. It raisese questions about our lifes, aswell as our education-system. Is things really this fucked up and awfull?…

• Mania

★★★ Watched by Mania 17 Sep, 2014

σίγουρα το detachment είναι μια καλοφτιαγμένη ταινία, με έναν Brody που δεν σε αφήνει να πάρεις τα μάτια σου από πάνω του και μια ιστορία που ανήκει στην κατηγορία " θα έπρεπε να μας τα δείχνουν στο σχολείο αυτά " .

ΑΛΛΑ μου θυμίζει κάτι από Precious ( if you know what i mean ) και εγώ κάτι τέτοια δεν τα μπορώ. ναι, το θέμα είναι σοβαρό. ναι, συμβαίνει γύρω μας. ναι, τρίψε το μου στη μούρη, μην με αφήσεις να κοιμηθώ. γιατί όμως να καταλήξεις στα ίδια, τα γνωστά, τα χιλιοειπωμένα ;

γενικά, αντικαταπληκτικά .

• Marika

★★★★★ Watched by Marika 13 Sep, 2014

At the end of this film the only thing I found myself thinking is, “Man, I didn’t expect that.” What a flawless performance by Adrien Brody and Sami Gayle!

Detachment is a film about so many things, where do I begin? It's about a substitute teacher with a phobia of permanency. A young girl who is forced into prostitution because of a lack of family. It's about the importance of guidance and the significance of its absence. It's about the…

• Daniel

★★★½ Watched by Daniel 07 Sep, 2014

dark, and poignant

• Satvrnino

★★½ Added by Satvrnino

Esta película marca el regreso del director Tony Kaye (American History X, 1998) con un drama de similar exposición: el panorama desolador de la educación y su quebradiza relación con la principal institución en la sociedad norteamericana.

Hay mucho que destacar en este film: el tratamiento que el director le imprime a manera de documental; la animación explicativa del sentir de varios personajes y trazada con gis; los personajes bien delineados (aunque algunos bastante cliché) e igualmente actuados por sus…

• AngryAssSloth

★★★★ Watched by AngryAssSloth 22 Aug, 2014

Detachment takes on a whole lot of issues. For the most part it does a pretty good job with these issues. Some of these issues include parenting, schools, prostitution, depression, and suicide. All of these are very sensitive issues that this film takes a look at. The whole substitute teacher in a poor school system thing is a bit repeated and I found nothing really new from there. As Cartman would say, "How do I reach these kids?".

What I really liked about this film was the multitude of other issues that Tony Kaye touched on.

• Andrew Drewes

Watched by Andrew Drewes 21 Aug, 2014

You would think that a film that dares to confront such complex issues as healthcare, the education system, and prostitution (to name a few) would have a touch of subtlety. Nope. That's not the case here. The film is a lumbering cyclops with no aim or tact. It yells so much that by thens end, it has forgotten what it was yelling at in the first place. A singularly empty experience.

• joerobinow

★★★★ Added by joerobinow

Damn movie making me fucking cry.