• corieinthehouse

★★★★★ Added by corieinthehouse

I really enjoyed this film and would 110% recommend it to anyone.

• Zack Wallace

★★★★★ Watched by Zack Wallace 28 Jan, 2015

Yeah.

• edward

★★★★ Added by edward

Tony Kaye's 'Detachment' may not offer any answers to its cry for help, but its intriguing filmmaking that grips you from the beginning and ceases to let go. Adrien Brody's powerful performance is taut and sometimes explosive, and he proves to be more than a great anchor for the story's tone and message. Kaye does a good job of gifting the audience with a sense of pathos for his film's characters, especially Brody. The material is not always easy to swallow, but Kaye and Brody have made a film that has something to say, and that message seems very important.

• Caleb Shaffer

★★★★ Watched by Caleb Shaffer 23 Jan, 2015

The first 45 minutes of this film was some great stuff. I was blown away. ...then it's hands started getting a little heavy. It started to throw too much stuff at the viewer. It's already an exhausting experience. Sexual trauma, old people dying, difficult youth, suicide, depression.

The camera is theatrical and seems to jump around between timelines. they were effective, but instead of the constant cuts, I would have preferred to see the subtext on the actor's faces. Adrien…

• Felipe Nicéas

★★★★½ Added by Felipe Nicéas

Que filme incrível, mais um pra galeria do competente diretor Tony Kaye, a escolha de Adrien Brody foi acertada, ele tem uma de suas melhores atuações na pele de um professor substituto, com um avô doente pra cuidar e uma turma um tanto quanto problemática para lidar, isso sem falar nos problemas estruturais da instituição de ensino onde leciona, um filme com diálogos precisos e que certamente ficará na sua mente por muito tempo.

• Andy Moss

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andy Moss 19 Jan, 2015

Haven’t seen this since it came out. I didn’t remember there were so many people in, but remembered I’d liked it and on a second viewing thought it was really good. I’ve seen a few reviews saying it’s a bit of a structural mess but given the subject matter I think it’s lack of coherence actually adds to it.

It’s a pity Tony Kaye sullied his reputation with AHX. He is an interesting film maker and it’s a pity he’s probably not going to be given the opportunities to build up a body of work.

• Wendy666

★★★★½ Watched by Wendy666 16 Jan, 2015

I'm not sure why this movie didn't get more attention. Adrien Brody is terrific, and the story is well crafted, touching on important issues without being preachy or sentimental.

Is it realistic? In some parts. Not so much in others.

• ForkliftPilot

★★★½ Watched by ForkliftPilot 14 Jan, 2015 3

Poetry reading, moping about, rape, death, James Caan speaking ebonics in various British accents. Sounds crappy. I liked it. I watched this movie because I have been pleasantly surprised by Adrien Brody movies in the past, and he didn't disappoint in Tony Kaye's moody little movie. I usually have a pretty low tolerance level for heavy-handed, gritty, too-poetic films, but this one was engaging and had solid beats and entertaining scenery-chewing throughout. Considering this film was by the same dude…

• D.C. Hemmings

★★½ Added by D.C. Hemmings

An unsettling raw look at life as an inner city sub. Not completely original, and rather heavy handed at times, but it's balanced out with a good performance from Adrien Brody.

• Jook

★★★ Watched by Jook 05 Jan, 2015

Has its heart in the right place but is often overwrought and melodramatic. Brody is charming as he always is but the supporting cast is a mixed bag.

• lilac

★★★★★ Added by lilac

A film about the crumbling American education system and a man's overwhelmed heart... The type of film that leaves a mark in your mind and will forever change how you look at yourself and the world around you. Not preachy, overrated, or unjust in its findings of the world... This film is for all those that have wondered, "Is this really it?"

• ian

★½ Watched by ian 04 Jan, 2015

Okay, a struggling inner-city school, a damaged man with a good soul, and I feel like I've seen this movie before it's even begun. Partly right, because it's by-the-numbers, but I was also shocked by this movie's unabashed melodrama and total lack of subtlety. Possibly a great film for teachers filled with as much cynicism and self-pity as the ones we get to see here.