• Jafalad

★★★ Watched by Jafalad 19 Jul, 2014

A film that explores themes of parenting/childhood, education and existentialism. It's an uneven film that has one too many subplots for my liking. However, the film is it at it's strongest when it explores the relationship between sub-teacher Barthes and the three people who enter his life particularly Erika, a young prostitute. This is a film you try to like but it's fragmented narrative is a distraction.

• sprizzle

★★★½ Watched by sprizzle 16 Jul, 2014 1

Detachment is the way out.

This is a film with a clear message. It's Adrian Brody telling us about life and how we have all failed. How we only care about ourselves. How we take the easy way out. His character is guilty of the same. He tries his best to make a difference in the troubled youths surrounding him, but realizes how futile it is. The film is about trying your best even when it doesn't look like that's…

• Peter Harkess

★★★★★ Watched by Peter Harkess 14 Jul, 2014

Intense! If Terrence Malik lived on planet earth and not the neoplatonic fantasy he inhabits he would have called this film "The Tree of Life". Furthermore, Tony Kaye needs to make more films and everyone should watch them.

• amyjackson

★★★★★ Added by amyjackson 4

uncomfortable, powerful. should have watched this a long time ago - don't let the subject matter (a substitute teacher) or your expectations (for me, a slightly edgier dead poet's society) trick you into dismissing this film. hard to digest & hard, in places, to accept how sad the lives of others can be.

• Ferrandis

Watched by Ferrandis 22 Dec, 2013

La presentación de "Detachment" sugiere que nos vamos a encontrar con la típica historia de un profesor al que le endosan una clase de energúmenos y australopitecos pero al final él los conduce por la buena senda de la vida a base de hablarles en prosa y de enseñarles la grandeza de la obra de Charles Dickens y de Hemingway. Son felices, comen perdices, los alumnos se gradúan en Harvard, el prota se casa con la profesora buenorra del instituto,…

• acidphoenix

★★★★½ Added by acidphoenix

A Beautiful Nightmarish Experience.
    Tony Kaye is in many ways like Nick Cave. You know going in that you are getting into something truly gritty, raw and utterly cynical. You know that, even if it's good, it's going to be hard to digest. But when he gets a hold of something, really gets a hold of it, you won't be able to look away, no matter how hard it is to watch. He is probably one of those present filmmakers…

• JasonWhy

★★★★★ Added by JasonWhy

I am out of face and i am gone.

• tofb

★★★★★ Watched by tofb 24 Jun, 2014

What a movie. I am still leaking tears. I wil remember this one for a long time. I can relate so much to the characters, having been on a street kid, having been unliked by my father, having been the outsider at school, and now seeing all these kids wasting their lives and wishng I could help.
    Anyway, all I can tell you is have plenty of kleenex nearby. Boy am I glad I never saw this in a theatre.

• Karolina

★★★★½ Watched by Karolina 23 Jun, 2014

The best movie about education system ever made. Or maybe I haven't seen better than this one yet. Even though at some moments I felt like the plot is a bit too excessive or harsh, I couldn't take my eyes of the screen.

Or maybe I loved it, because it was just the right film for me at that moment.

• Derek Diercksmeier

★★★★½ Added by Derek Diercksmeier

The best film about the American education system ever made.

• Jake Ohlde

★★½ Watched by Jake Ohlde 25 May, 2014

I don't understand all the praise this gets...it's like Crash 2.0

• AnthonyAndFilm

★★★½ Added by AnthonyAndFilm

A film that deals with troubled-students, loss, isolation and suicide. Here is an emotionally-powerful and well acted film, with a strong performance from Adrien Brody. "Detachment" is very depressing and a lot of the time hard to watch (you probably wont smile even once while watching it). Brody plays a substitute teacher at a school full of troubled students, he is good at connecting with students and colleagues , and offers to help them without getting too attached to them…