• David Smith

★★★★ Added by David Smith

One of my favorite mob movies behind the staples of Goodfellas, Godfather 1, and Godfather 2, Donnie Brasco does a great job of showing what Goodfellas did: The working class of the mafia.

Johnny Depp is fantastic as "Donnie Brasco", an undercover FBI agent sent to infiltrate the mob in 1970's New York. Al Pacino is equally great as "Lefty", a mob hitman with very little to show for his years with the family.

The tension and intrigue comes as…

• THOMAS CULLEN

★★★★½ Rewatched by THOMAS CULLEN 24 Jan, 2015

With the release of Mortdecai, I felt compelled to revisit a classic Johnny Depp performance in one of his very best films. Sharing the screen with Al Pacino, who is also at the top of his form, Depp manages to deliver a keenly felt and realistic performance of a man (an undercover FBI agent infiltrating the New York mob) torn between conflicting loyalties. For two actors who have become synonymous with over-the-top and for Depp outlandish performances, this film provides a welcome reminder of just how good they each can be when given a good role in a good film.

• Tom Morton

★★★★ Watched by Tom Morton 13 Jan, 2015

It takes a long while for Donnie Brasco to heat up, and with a much more low-key style than a lot of the big gangster films, it took me until maybe about two-thirds of the way through before I realised that I was completely gripped.

It's weirdly disarming seeing Johnny Depp play an actual Human Being after years of caricatures, but Pacino is still the star here - his aging hitman, Lefty, is so perfectly sad and unsure of his…

• neilgrahamuk

★★★★ Rewatched by neilgrahamuk 07 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The difficulty with making a mafia film is that you instantly invite comparison with some of the greatest American movies ever made. I remember the first time I sat down to watch Donnie Brasco I was thinking how it would compare to The Godfather or Goodfellas. I don't think I do this with any other genre! I may do this after the film has ended. But I don't think, say with a comedy "I wonder how this will compare with…

• billsuxx

★★★½ Watched by billsuxx 05 Jan, 2015

Azt mondják alapmű, nekem eddig kimaradt. Jó volt, főleg a kor és a hangulat miatt tetszett.

• TheGreatFaggles

★★★★ Added by TheGreatFaggles

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

An extremely impressive Johnny Depp performance. Add Al Pacino and you've got a great mob film. This based on a true story film really touches on what it's like to be undercover and make friends that you'll inevitably have to betray. It's an excellent film that perhaps makes you forget who the bad guys are.

• Jacob HB

★★ Watched by Jacob HB 03 Jan, 2015 2

I'm not sure if it's the script or Mike Newell's direction but the first half of Donnie Brasco feels like the most workmanlike version of this story. The stakes of Donnie's undercover involvement in the mafia are grossly underplayed and really we are never let in to understanding his world and his internal drivers.
    Both Johnny Depp and Al Pacino are solid but the production values are lacking, the film has become dated, the cinematography is incredibly flat and Patrick…

• Berberino

★★★★ Added by Berberino

Lefty Ruggiero

• Jamie Edmondson

★★★★½ Watched by Jamie Edmondson 25 Dec, 2014

A captivating account of a famous undercover FBI agent, assigned to uncover the crimes of the Italian mafia in the late seventies/early eighties. Donnie Brasco is a biopic that doesn't fail to disappoint, and if you like gritty gangster flicks then this a must-see movie. I find it incredible that Pistone, A.K.A. Donnie Brasco, managed to stay undercover for so many years without ever exposing himself. I am now going to purchase a copy of Pistone's book he wrote on the Brasco assignment as the film has really sparked my intrigue!

• Abdullah Muhana

★★★½ Watched by Abdullah Muhana 10 Dec, 2014

" Forget about it "

• JaySalahi

★★★★ Watched by JaySalahi 02 Dec, 2014

B+ (87.5)

• nickgraz95

★★★★½ Added by nickgraz95

9/10. A classic, Pacino and Depp are both great.