• Jonathan Storey

★★★ Watched by Jonathan Storey 29 Apr, 2016

Pacino is really good. Depp is really not. Paul Giamatti without a beard in the '90s is really weird. This film is really fine.

• JC13

★★★★ Rewatched by JC13 25 Apr, 2016

"A wise guy's always right; even when he's wrong, he's right."

I saw Donnie Brasco only one before and that was several years ago. I remember liking it a lot, but most of it had faded from my memory. Since today was Al Pacino's birthday, I decided to finally rewatch it. Johnny Depp plays an FBI agent who goes undercover in the Mafia. For my money this is one of Depp's best roles and his chemistry with Pacino (who is…

• Tim Burnham

★★½ Watched by Tim Burnham 22 Apr, 2016

The only thing this film does that hasn't been done before a hundred times in a hundred other mafia movies is gives us time to see these guys as actual people, and gives the audience hits of humanity in between their criminal dealings.

Tonally at odds with itself, generally contrived and cliched, with a cast sleepwalking through a greatest hits reel at half speed, there's little of note here.

• Martin White

★★★★ Watched by Martin White 03 Apr, 2016

Crime thriller based on a true story of an undercover FBI agent trying to take down the mod in the 1970s. Gripping stuff. What makes the film work so well is the relationships between the Depp character and those around him (his wife, the Al Pacino mid-level mobster and the FBI). You can feel how his sense of duty is pushed to the limit as his marriage is strained and he begins to feel some sort of Stockholm syndrome for…

• Zach Ralston

★★★½ Rewatched by Zach Ralston 15 Apr, 2016

Nicely crafted with a light touch by Newell and a rich script from the underrated Paul Attanasio. Not exactly as unique as something like RUSH, nor as electrifying as something like THE DEPARTED, since it's a little beholden to "the facts," but you know... it's fine.

• yoelnoreally

★★★ Watched by yoelnoreally 10 Apr, 2016

Had a real sense of humour in its first half (the xmas cards, the draught, the tennis court) that distracted from all the tortured cop and mob movie clichés, but as that faded I gradually lost interest.

• Ryan Ward

★★★½ Rewatched by Ryan Ward 08 Apr, 2016

Johnny Depp acting as a normal human being for a change & Al Pacino hamming it up big style, but still its a n enjoyable film

• Randy Grimshaw

★★★½ Watched by Randy Grimshaw 03 Apr, 2016

Mike Newell's Donnie Brasco is an entertaining crime dramedy that unites peak-Johnny Depp with an exaggerated - but charming - Al Pacino. The film thrives with Depp and Pacino sharing the screen. From their first conversation, ("It's a fugazi!") it is impossible to not be enamored by the back-and-forth between these wiseguys. Their exchanges are equally captivating and poignant.

Though compelling (and often, quite funny), Donnie Brasco is not as well-executed as similar films depicting undercover mob infiltrators (e.g. Scorsese's…

• Jakub Flasz

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jakub Flasz 02 Apr, 2016

Now that I thought about it, it came as a real shock to me that Al Pacino never worked with Scorsese. Coppola, Lumet, De Palma, Mann, Stone, Friedkin... So many great names, but never Scorsese. Therefore, I find "Donnie Brasco" to be an ersatz to at least partially alleviate this raging problem.

Even though it's not as great nad timeless as "Goodfellas", or "The departed", this film still holds water as a story about the mob amd undercover agents. Gritty…

• Jansen Aui

★★½ Watched by Jansen Aui 03 Apr, 2016

This was a movie I loved for about as long as a Fugazzi diamond looks real, then (probably right after said false diamond sequence, a few minutes in) it quickly devolved into a pastiche that's equally straight hilarious and straight bad. Fuggedabout this hack Pacino performance, too.

• Matt Thomas

★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 02 Apr, 2016

It's no GoodFellas but still very entertaining - if a little cartoonish (Pacino in particular). The relationship between the two main characters develops far too quickly to be believable. Depp manages to keep you guessing as to where his loyalties might end up though, which keeps things interesting.

• Funnyguy

★★★★ Watched by Funnyguy 26 Mar, 2016

Shame seeing such a perfect wiseguy not being a wiseguy.