• James Kenworthy

★★★★ Watched by James Kenworthy 24 May, 2015

Seeing Al Pacino live tonight at "An Evening with Pacino" show, thought I'd sneak in a film beforehand - quite liked him in this, Michael Madsen was terrifying, and Depp was terrific which makes me sad because of his past decade being a slew of quirky crap - I have hope for Black Mass, though. Extremely entertaining and solid mob flick, quite loved watching it.

• MadZack

★★★★ Watched by MadZack 23 May, 2015

I greatly enjoyed every minute of Donnie Brasco. It's a very entertaining crime film that I found to be fully rewarding and occasionally brilliant. It is a film that puts a high value on performance. Al Pacino caught me off guard with his oddly sympathetic portrayal of Lefty, an oddly unimpressive gangster. Pacino surprised me with this performance because I have never seen him play a character as oblivious as Lefty was. He was a guy who sat around in…

• larrycherrin

★★★ Watched by larrycherrin 17 May, 2015

Very entertaining

• Steve Kim

★★★★ Watched by Steve Kim 16 May, 2015

Felt like watching a good mob flick. Been meaning to watch this since like junior high. Was not disappointed.

• Adam

★★★½ Watched by Adam 16 May, 2015

Scavenger Hunt Challenge 2 Movie #24
    "A film about gangsters from any country"
    letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt/

Donnie Brasco works mainly because of the performances. Pacino's portrayal of a wiseguy who never obtained the respect he wanted so badly is quite strong and it's difficult to not feel bad for him even though he commits some horrifying acts. The story itself isn't anything groundbreaking but the film is well made and there are some good moments of tension as Depp's Pistone works his way further into the organization.

• shanzah khan

★★★ Added by shanzah khan

it was aight. The movie itself was mediocre. However, the dynamic between Johnny Depp's character and Al Pacino's held it together.

• Nathan Harrison

★★★½ Watched by Nathan Harrison 13 May, 2015

If the film had ended with the fade to black in the closing minutes as Lefty leaves his apartment, I think this would totally be 4-star worthy, or even better. But I have to agree with Ebert: the sequences that follow are unnecessary footnotes to the story, and including such rote scenes at all betrays a lack of confidence in the film's strength. Al Pacino delivers a really great performance here, though — his sad-sack mafioso being the utter opposite of his work in The Godfather series.

• Alex Vlad

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Vlad 11 May, 2015 1

This gem from the late 90's not only paired legends Al Pacino and Johnny Depp together, it also cemented Depp's career as an extremely versitile actor, which appears to be a rarity these days. Depp plays Joe Pistone, an undercover FBI agent in Brooklyn, sent deep into the hear of the mafia through age old and wise guy Lefty, Al Pacino. Joe soon takes on the double life of Donnie Brasco, a young up and comer and soon to be…

• Michael Kuhn

★★★★ Watched by Michael Kuhn 06 May, 2015

A solid crime-mob movie featuring fine performances from Pacino and Depp. Well told and on the mark pacing makes takes this a step ahead to all the other mob films out there

• Jeremy Koh

★★★★ Watched by Jeremy Koh 02 May, 2015

fuhgeddaboudit.

• Ramses Flores

★★★★ Watched by Ramses Flores 26 Apr, 2015

A solid crime drama that is elevated by Depp's chemistry with Pacino and the film's decision to make Pacino's gangster into a sleazy loser that inspires a lot of sympathy. You actually feel bad for the guy as you spend the film wishing he somehow makes it out ok even though you know he won't. Very solid and entertaining stuff, but I can't help but think that maybe I'm appreciating this more now because it features Depp being "normal" and Pacino giving a nuanced performance. It's refreshing to see and a nice reminder of their talents.

• Joshua Brown

★★★½ Watched by Joshua Brown 25 Apr, 2015

It brilliantly subverts the gangster genre by making Al Pacino's archetypal gangster character into a loser. So the kinship that Johnny Depp's Donnie Brasco has for Pacino's Lefty is based more on pity than respect. Lefty is more Fredo than Michael Corleone. In going in this direction it distinguishes Pacino's performance from his previous gangster roles in The Godfather, Scarface, and Carlito's Way. It allows for his casting to seem fresh rather than stale, something it could have easily been.…