• Felix Härenstam Nielsen

★★★★½ Watched by Felix Härenstam Nielsen 21 Mar, 2015

Mike Newell is not a director I am very well aware of, but this has me intrigued, wanting to explore more of his filmography. Following an undercover FBI agent in the mob, the story isn't exactly unique, but it is really all about the execution and characters. Donnie Brasco does this extremely well, conveying the story through interesting characters that keep the suspense from start to finish.

Seeing Johnny Depp in a role other than the Jack Sparrow-like character he…

• ChinOfTarantino

★★★★ Rewatched by ChinOfTarantino 17 Mar, 2015

Superbly crafted, there is a lot of heart in this film and Pacino delivers one of his most underrated performances.

• Ray

Watched by Ray 13 Mar, 2015

Very much in the vein of Serpico or The Departed, Donnie Brasco shows the double life of an undercover agent. While the story is one that has entered the public consciousness to the point of being rather mundane this film rides on solid performances to achieve a respectable quality. Al Pachino is wearing the gangster persona he was so well known for and Michael Madsen of Resevoir Dogs takes a turn as an up and coming mob boss. At times…

• Leo Schiller

★★★★½ Watched by Leo Schiller 21 Feb, 2015

Has the potential to be a classic.

• Vikram Dogra

★★★★½ Watched by Vikram Dogra 12 Mar, 2015 1

This movie should be better known. Great performances by Pacino and Johnny Depp.

• Andy McMahon

★★★★½ Watched by Andy McMahon 10 Mar, 2015

Johnny Depp's last decent film role? (I did enjoy Sleepy Hollow but it seems he's spent the last 15 years doing the opposite of what he started out as- certainly since being praised in Pirates he has gone completely over the top). I forgot how heartbreaking Pacing is too. A really great film.

• Jorge Teivelis

★★★★★ Watched by Jorge Teivelis 08 Mar, 2015

Donnie Brasco tells, in a less stylish way, the story of an undercover cop and, despite sharing some similarities, such as it's genre, with many other classics, Donnie is a much richer film than average. From its characters to the fact that it's really based on a true story, Donnie Brasco surprises in managing to propel a story without the marked techniques that have been conventionalized in nowadays filmmaking and showcases great storytelling.

• Jesse

★★★½ Added by Jesse

www.popmatters.com/review/185919-donnie-brasco/

• JKUHNLE

★★★½ Watched by JKUHNLE 07 Mar, 2015

Great performance again by Al Pacino, and Johnny Depp. This is a film where I think Johnny Depp actually does a good job of acting. Oops, did I say that? Anyways this is a film based on true events of an FBI agent who goes undercover and becomes a member of the Mob in New York. As he gains respect and a name for himself, Depp's character rises in rank within the Mob culture, and becomes great friends with his…

• dr_chile

★★★ Added by dr_chile

I feel like I write for Rolling Stone on Letterboxd because each review of every movie I see is a three star review.

• Sweetbaby

★★★★ Rewatched by Sweetbaby 06 Mar, 2015

This is well done on every level. I like the centered attention given to the relationship between the gangsta and the undercover agent, while still being able to highlight the agent's relationship with his family. This movie is usually overlooked when it comes to the gangsta flicks, but it's arguably the best one out there.

• Antonio Quintero

★★★½ Watched by Antonio Quintero 03 Mar, 2015

This movie feels like it desperately wants to be like an Scorcese movie, but tit never reaches those heights. You do have a great performance for Johnny Depp, back when he wasn't doing weird accents or faces all the time.