• Nic Sanchez

★★★½ Watched by Nic Sanchez 19 Oct, 2014

I probably shouldn't have watched this film straight after 'The Godfather.' It probably wasn't fair to the film or the filmmaker, but in comparison, this film just seemed lacklustre. This is mob-lite cinema, but by no means a bad film. I just didn't find the same grit and toughness in the characters or their plight.

There is decent tension and suspense that was made all the more interesting considering it's based on actual events.

• Jamie Dougan

★★★½ Watched by Jamie Dougan 18 Oct, 2014

Great lead performances from Depp and Pacino and the movie is nicely shot but the plot mostly underwhelms.

• reflectedsplndr

★★★★ Watched by reflectedsplndr 19 Oct, 2014

I was promised that Donnie Brasco was better than Scarface by a friend who was very persistent in the matter. While it is very firmly not, it's still a worthy addition to the gangster movie genre, with great performances by both Depp and Pacino.

Horrid soundtrack, though.

• MrPootytang

★★★★½ Watched by MrPootytang 14 Oct, 2014

Al Pacino's performance in Donnie Brasco, much like many iconic movies of his before, was superb. It's nice to see him play a person that isn't high up in the ranks. Johnny Depp is mostly known for his extravagant, flamboyant roles, his performance as Donnie Brasco/Joseph D. 'Joe' Pistone was amazing. His accent and demeanor, even his looks, fitted his role flawlessly. Mike Newell's 1997 drama has a neat mix of raw, emotional tragedy and ruthless mafia crime. Towards the…

• Alex A

★★★½ Watched by Alex A 24 Mar, 2014

Donnie Brasco boasts strong performances from its lead duo Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. The story is your basic run-of-the-mill undercover cop tale about getting too deep into an infiltrated world, causing one to slowly forget they're undercover, which has been done before. Though Johnny Depp delivers a great performance, the movie sadly didn't give me any reason to care for his character. Overall, Donnie Brasco is a gritty gangster flick with strong, convincing performances, smooth pacing and good characters, but an unoriginal story, an unrelatable main character and seemingly no climax.

• Joe DiCanio

★★★½ Rewatched by Joe DiCanio 11 May, 2014

Rating: B

• Ary Aires

★★★ Watched by Ary Aires 05 Oct, 2014

"Lefty: Punch of salt.
    Donnie: Punch?
    Lefty: Punch. Punch of salt.
    Donnie: Punch or pinch?
    Lefty: Punch, punch. Not pinch. What'd I say? I say pinch?
    Donnie: Nah, you said... you said punch.
    Lefty: Sometimes you don't make no fuckin' sense, Donnie."

• mysterio

★★★½ Rewatched by mysterio 30 Sep, 2014

Every time I watch this I lose a bit of respect for Johnny Depp. A little above a mediocre mob flick.

• Chris Ward

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Ward 27 Sep, 2014

Fucking love this film.

• Lee Saunders

★★★½ Rewatched by Lee Saunders 26 Sep, 2014

Forget a'bout it, you fugazi chopped fuck!

• Baschdi

★★★ Watched by Baschdi 21 Sep, 2014

Naja, ich hatte mehr erwartet bei der Besetzung und imdb-Wertung...

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 24 Jul, 2013

Donnie Brasco is a great gangster film. The start was maybe a bit slow but little by little I was gripped by the story and characters and never lost interest. Clearly influenced by Martin Scorsese's work but Mike Newell managed very well to make a very good gangster film with life of its own.

It was nice for a change seeing Johnny Depp playing a “regular” character instead of an eccentric one with a lot of make-up on. His performance…