• Carl Sandell

★★★★ Watched by Carl Sandell 05 Jul, 2015

The film is supposedly about Johnny Depp's undercover agent, but Al Pacino makes it about himself. Or his character, if there is a difference. He makes the character into such a fully fleshed human being full of bravado early on when he's showing the new kid the ropes, but then feeble and petty when dealing with people who he looks up to. It's an interesting image of a gangster.

Depp's struggle with keeping the Joe and Donnie characters separate is…

• Henrik Wilhelmsson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Henrik Wilhelmsson 03 Jul, 2015

Love these films. Also, it was made back when Depp was still a real person, and Pacino chose good films.

• drmorbius79

★★★★★ Rewatched by drmorbius79 29 Jun, 2015

Revisiting this old favorite before it leaves Netflix. A underrated gangster flick that seems as if it's been largely forgotten.

This is one of Pacino's better performances post-"Scent of a Woman." Johnny Depp is great just a few years before his descent into self parody. Heck even Michael Madsen is good here.

The late Bruno Kirby has some of the best lines in the movie.

Directed by the guy who did "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (of all things). The…

• ceilinglampfilm

★★★★ Watched by ceilinglampfilm 29 Jun, 2015

"You think I hate you? I don't hate you. This job is eating me alive. I can't breathe anymore. And if I come out, this guy Lefty dies. They're gonna kill him because he vouched for me. Because he stood up for me. I live with that every day. That's the same thing if I put the bullet through his head myself, you understand? I spend all these years trying to be the good guy, you know? The man in the white fuckin' hat. For what? For nuthin'. I'm not becoming like them, Maggie, I am them."

80/100

• Anthony Iessi

★★★★★ Added by Anthony Iessi

Fuggetaboudit, Donnie Brasco is a mob masterpiece. Sure, it borrows heavily from GoodFellas, as many movies after it did, but how else can a mob story be told without seeming so similar? These stories revolve around the same kinds of people, with the same kinds of moral quagmires to deal with. Violence, betrayal and corruption always seems to take over. That's all these true stories are really about. What makes this such a winning film is how well Al Pacino…

• Matthew Beem

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Beem 25 Jun, 2015

62/100

Johnny Depp did some real acting in this film, "Forget about it"

• TJ Duane

★★★★ Watched by TJ Duane 23 Jun, 2015

One could call Donnie Brasco Goodfellas for Beginners, since it is a gangster story shot less dynamically, but that would sorely be missing the point. Donnie Brasco is a successful and enjoyable film about the language of the mafia, about how friendships are formed, and within the system, those friendships always end in the same way--betrayal. Even if it is inevitable, the betrayals are always tragic, and actually build on that tragedy subtly.

This film works on almost every level. It has good late-Pacino and good early-Depp. It is well directed and even better written.

The final scenes are great.

Recommended.

• ewright

★★★½ Watched by ewright 23 Jun, 2015

Good story about Depp's character's personal struggle with being undercover, good performances from Depp and Pacino, and competent but relatively uninteresting directing. Very solid, but not spectacular. Sometimes that's exactly what's needed.

• Mads Rise

★★★★ Watched by Mads Rise 22 Jun, 2015

One hell of a prequel to Donnie Darko.

• Andy F.

★★★ Rewatched by Andy F. 20 Jun, 2015

It's a brutal mob story and undercover cop story from the director of Four Weddings and a Funeral...that's pretty much the issue, I feel like. Though it has a nice script and Depp and Pacino doing quite well, director Mike Newell too easily falls into conventional Hollywood pacing. The movie wastes its many great resources on a guy who doesn't really know how to enhance the film going on behind the camera. This is the definition of Fauxsese.

The undercover cop genre is over. Such a played out trope now.

• Matt Ellis

★★ Watched by Matt Ellis 22 Jun, 2015

The Godfather by way of Brian DePalma--which unless I'm mistaken, nobody has ever asked for.

On one hand it's interesting seeing Pacino play a burnout, end of life Michael Corleone here, but my god is this missing the gravitas that the greatest mob movies carry under their hood like it was soldered in before the purchase. Forget about it. No, literally.

• Sam Heaney

★★½ Watched by Sam Heaney 10 Jun, 2015

It was ok, felt a bit slow and didn't real feel there was much real drama, which was what I had expected.