• Danny Webster

Watched by Danny Webster 26 Oct, 2014 3

Film #28 of Hoop-Tober

Scariness level: Water/Blood

Director Project

Director: Nicolas Roeg (First Film)

Originally, I had intended this to be the last of hoop-tober and for it to bridge back into my Director Project seamlessly but due to availability and haste on my part to finish with the project (I've enjoyed it very much so hopefully doesn't sound like I haven't). I own the blu ray, it's a very nice copy and I've already ordered the other films I…

• Chip

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chip 25 Oct, 2014

This movie is obsessed with details. t's packed with tiny bits of business and observations.

I would categorize this movie as a horror movie even though it contains almost none of the trappings of traditional horror. It's paced like a funereal romance. A reflection on death and loss. It's more sad than scary, which is part of what makes it great.

• Nathan Anderson

★★★★ Added by Nathan Anderson

31 Days of Horror: #25

Accompanying Illustration:
    nathanandersonart.tumblr.com/post/100947656389/31-days-of-horror-25-film-dont-look-now

Don't Look Now is rich in atmosphere, with fantastic imagery. a great chilling story, taking unexpected turns with a focus on character development.

• BeetleEye66

★★★★½ Watched by BeetleEye66 24 Oct, 2014

not quite sure yet

• Matthew Donahue

★★★★½ Watched by Matthew Donahue 22 Oct, 2014

A chilling occult horror thriller that looks incredible and has incredible tension. Fantastic acting all around and deft pacing throughout. Child death has never been so dreadful!

• Mazoyk

★★★★★ Watched by Mazoyk 24 Oct, 2014

Toda una experiencia. Venecia como capital del desasosiego existencial. Planos refractados y simétricos como reflejo del inconsciente. Uno de los polvos más naturales y mejor filmados de la historia del cine (en la época se rumoreaba que era sexo real). El rojo obsesivo. Las carcajadas de las viejas. El italiano como cacofonía. El espíritu del 'giallo'. Ideas visionarias cuyos ecos se perciben en películas como las de David Lynch o 'El proyecto de la Bruja de Blair'. Y una escalofriante escena final que me sigue poniendo los pelos de punta aún cuando escribo estas líneas.

Definitivamente, tengo que ver todas las películas de Nicolas Roeg.

• AvenueDave

★★½ Watched by AvenueDave 18 Oct, 2014

After Laura and John Baxter lose their only child in a horrible drowning, they are greeted by strange sightings of her throughout their everyday lives. When two old ladies approach them in Italy with news that their daughter may still be alive, it seems too good to be true. Perhaps it is...

Movie #146

My 2 Cents: First off...the above description is just wrong. The daughter is not alive. One of the old ladies is psychic and claims she can…

• Breanna Justice

★★★★ Watched by Breanna Justice 01 Aug, 2013

I watched this while going through emotional troubles that at the time I didn't even realize were there. Rewatched it with a group of peers months later and had to leave the room in tears because it struck such a strange chord in me. The latter half of 2013 was just a bad time for me and it's obvious if you've been reading my reviews.

• Ross McRae

★½ Watched by Ross McRae 19 Oct, 2014

Film#20 of Hoop-Tober
    Letterboxd files this under three genres: Drama, Suspense, Horror. Well it certainly is a drama, first box ticked. It certainly is suspenseful, the first 5-10 minutes sucks you in completely, from then on your on the edge of your seat...waiting for anything to happen. I guess it also ticks the horror box, as I was terrified...that I might die from boredom.

• Vincent Mollica

★★★★ Watched by Vincent Mollica 17 Oct, 2014

Was very lucky to see a BFI 35mm print of this at the UW Cinematheque. I mention this only because a little part of me thinks that's the only way this movie could ever be seen. So much of it, from the elusive nature of the narrative to, more obviously, Roeg's use of discoloration and emulsion imagery feel like its referring specifically to the medium that you're watching it on. An incredibly moving, immersive experience.

• Ben O

★★★★½ Watched by Ben O 19 Oct, 2014

As part of my 'Ben's first World Tour' project: Britain

Finally I know what Von Trier's Antichrist would have been like had it not been so indulgent and manipulative and disgusting. Man, Nicholas Roeg was a fucking genius. He used every filmic ingredient at his disposal to build on the universal psyche of his films which resulted in some of the most visceral, unsettling and uncomfortable experiences in cinema's arsenal. There is an incredible cohesion between all the parts in…

• Baz Film

★★★½ Watched by Baz Film 19 Oct, 2014

Film 15 of #31DaysofHorror.