• Jaime Rebanal

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jaime Rebanal 26 May, 2015

What is it you fear?

I can't even help myself. I've already watched Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now numerous times and I can't even let the thoughts of this masterful thriller escape from my head. Upon every last viewing the whole film haunts my own minds for just simply how unexpected the outcome was. I don't even know where to begin. This film easily has some of the best editing that I've ever witnessed. Even nowadays there wouldn't at all…

• Nathan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nathan 26 May, 2015

Almost not even a horror film. It's more of a supernatural, spiritual drama about grief. It's taken me a couple of viewings for it to really have a lasting effect on me; but it is by all means a masterpiece, if you give it the time it needs.

• Nuru

★★★ Watched by Nuru 24 May, 2015

Plenty of psycho-sexual imagery, characters in mental bondage, plus an elderly serial killer dwarf dressed as little red riding-hood. This is not a film for the whole family.
    I quite liked how it super imposed ideas of the horror genre on themes of familial grief. That and Donald Sutherland's spectacularly curly hair.

• Matt G

★★½ Watched by Matt G 22 May, 2015

The most popular film of 1973 that I had not seen

What can I say? Vastly overrated. What the hell?

• Chris Hormann

★★★★½ Watched by Chris Hormann 24 May, 2015 2

Film #26 of the Scavenger Hunt Challenge!
    Task #17 : A film that takes you out of your comfort zone!

I see red, I see red, I see red.

A portrait of grief and the effect it has on a relationship with an overarching glaze of psychic horror. Nic Roeg is heavy on imagery and the film seems to be a massive foreshadowing for one of the most famous climaxes in cinema (and no, I'm not talking about the Sutherland/Christie…

• Boggy Creek

★★★★½ Watched by Boggy Creek 21 May, 2015

The wind changes. Visions emerge and a sick aftertaste in the throat emerges. A breath of fresh foreboding air.

Exhale. Inhale.

There's a comforting hand on the shoulder. It withdraws and a vertigo sight of clustered buildings materialize.

Exhale. Inhale.

A rain jacket; red as red. The day is cloudy, but the day isn't rainy. Why wear a rain jacket?

Exhale. Inhale.

Blink your eyes. Harder. Is this a burden brought upon by death? Is this the color of a flushed memory? Is this a ghastly warning?

Exhale. Inhale

Departed ones never disintegrate. Departed ones never disintegrate. Departed ones never disintegrate.

• Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright

★★★ Watched by Brian J. "Tyrannorabbit" Wright 21 May, 2015

I am perhaps too much like its protagonist - dismissive of psychic woo nearly to the point of hostility - to get a lot of joy out of this one, and yet I suspect that on some days I might be the perfect audience.

Where it works for me is in the portrait of a grieving couple, and its setting - largely set in Venice, and shoots it not as romantic but as filthy, worn out, and in constant need…

• Lucariello

★★★½ Watched by Lucariello 17 May, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

"A Venezia... un dicembre rosso shocking" è il bruttissimo titolo italiano che, però, mette in risalto la città, assoluta protagonista di questo thriller teso e claustrofobico, costruito su flashback, rimandi, sovrapposizioni, visioni. Il tutto modellato secondo lo stile di Roeg, virtuosistico ma mai fine a se stesso. L'epilogo è leggermente criptico, ma la scena dell'omicidio finale resta inevitabilmente impresso nella mente.

• Eli Grasso

★★★★ Watched by Eli Grasso 17 May, 2015

Bizarre, eerie and absolutely beautiful. The editing in this movie blew me away. Why on earth is this getting a remake?

• jessica h

★★★★★ Added by jessica h

Dear Hollywood,
    Please don't remake this, it is perfect as it is.

• Andrew Bemis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Andrew Bemis 05 May, 2015

The Criterion Blu-ray of this a knockout - I first saw this on 35mm several years ago, and it looked at close to my memories of that experience as possible. The movie has lost none of its power; a horror movie this truly adult was rare then and nearly extinct now, and the dark, romantic, erotic, metaphysically threatening atmosphere Nicolas Roeg sustains for two hours never fails to blindside me. It's always been under-discussed among horror fans, perhaps because of…

• Matt Curione