• ScreeningNotes

★★★½ Watched by ScreeningNotes 15 Apr, 2014 3

Nicolas Roeg must be some kind of crazy genius person to be able to see stories like this. I don't mean the content of the narrative, although it's a good enough story from the same person who wrote the books behind The Birds and Rebecca. Rather, like The Man Who Fell to Earth, the way the story's presented especially in terms of its editing occasionally feels almost like an experimental film (and I mean that in the best way possible).…

• Jennifer

★★★ Watched by Jennifer 08 Apr, 2014

A little on the slow quiet side. And not really sure how this movie is classified as horror but it was good none the less.

• Judah Finnigan

★★★★½ Watched by Judah Finnigan 08 Apr, 2014

compelling, canny supernatural mystery elevated to indelible high tragedy by one of the most superlative final twenties i've seen in a horror movie.

• Noronen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Noronen 05 Apr, 2014

Donald Sutherland is the white-afro precog, unaware of his gift until it becomes his curse. Editing is a true art form, and here it serves to haunt and exhilarate in equal measure. The last film of that incredible early-70s Roeg hat trick.

• Guerra

★★★ Watched by Guerra 23 Mar, 2014

Destaque para a cena inicial no lago que já vale para todo o filme.

Ele é repleto de simbolismos e os personagens são fortes e muito bem interpretados.

No entanto, o filme vai perdendo a sua força e ficando um pouco confuso.

• Joshua Richardson

★★★★½ Watched by Joshua Richardson 24 Mar, 2014

John and Laura are a couple who lose their daughter, by which I mean she dies, not that they bet her on the ponies or something. Anyway, the two decide to grieve her drowning by going to Venice, where John is working on renovating a church. Laura meets a couple of creepy old ladies, one of whom is a blind psychic (the other sister is just regular creepy). Laura becomes convinced that the women have a direct line to the…

• mdwebz

★★★½ Watched by mdwebz 24 Mar, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Ferre Rodriguez

★★★ Watched by Ferre Rodriguez 16 Mar, 2014

I got what it was trying to do, and it was interesting. It just didn't "click" with me.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★½ Added by Tom Prankerd

Nicolas Roeg manages to make Venice as alien and spooky as the outback in Walkabout. An atmosphere of haunting melancholy pierces the whole film long before the infamous shocking conclusion.

• Eugene McCrann

★★★½ Added by Eugene McCrann

While putting together the painstaking clues is something of a thrill, its rabbit-hole is smaller, textured, less reliant on scripted realizations. Sutherland's entire descent perhaps the most perverse premise for a movie ever - his daughter's death compounded with a chain of events bringing about his own demise, turning the exotic travel-scapes of Venice into something ugly, a harbor of decrepit religious architecture, a hideaway of old-world mysticism and pure, inescapable evil. A tough movie to watch because it's so…

• kpitman

★★½ Watched by kpitman 12 Mar, 2014

An interesting little supernatural thriller that involves grieving parents who have recently lost their young daughter in an accident. They move to Venice, and are soon contacted by people who claim to see their dead child and offer both hope and a warning. This is really effective at creating a chilling aura, but the conclusion is a little unsatisfying. That being said, it's the most atmospheric thriller I've seen in quite a while.

Very well shot and composed, the editing is also excellent and adds another level to the film.

• Andrew

★★★½ Watched by Andrew 11 Mar, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.