• EnteredTheVoid

★★★★ Rewatched by EnteredTheVoid 05 Feb, 2016

I watched this about 8 month ago and didn't think much of it but I think I just wasn't in the mood for it but I watched anyway without fully concentrating on it.

What a film this is if you pay proper attention to it which is an absolute must.

Crazy editing, simply one of the best edited films I've seen.

• adamstovall

Watched by adamstovall 02 Feb, 2016

Putting this here to remind myself I want to go as Donald Sutherland in this movie for Halloween this year.

• Blair

★★★½ Watched by Blair 31 Jan, 2016

I enjoyed this, but also felt underwhelmed by it, perhaps inevitably; it's a feeling I often have about classic movies, and in this case it was emphasised by the fact that I love the original story. The film does a good job with Venice, exploiting its shadowy narrow streets and the sense of disorientation one experiences when trying to get around the city. Perhaps I know the story too well; I was too conscious of scenes and subplots having been padded out.

• Charlotte

★★★½ Watched by Charlotte 31 Jan, 2016

is there anything daphne du maurier can't do?

• ChrisRitter

★★★½ Watched by ChrisRitter 30 Jan, 2016

Only got a half hour in but so far so good. Will finish viewing in due time.

• Josiah Tate Burns

★★★★★ Rewatched by Josiah Tate Burns 30 Jan, 2016

Classic Roeg, classic "horror". Could watch this many times over. Interestingly, predates The Shining by seven years, but the latter has been deified and analyzed (Room 237) to death.

The opening tragedy is masterful, and the pattern in which it is shot and edited repeats throughout for dramatic effect. This film likely made even American audiences at the time prudish with its graphic sex scene, but it's all very artfully done.

• sharky_55

★★★★½ Added by sharky_55

The opening sequence of Don't Look Now contains some of the greatest editing I have ever seen. Rewatching this with the knowledge of the ending and then comparing it to that 'life flashing before his eyes' montage in the last moments of John's life gives it a even stranger, hypnotic power. In Roeg's Walkabout, he would cross-cut freely between the Australian outback and the relatively urbanised city landscape to draw comparison. Here, he juxtaposes the mundane with the mundane until…

• tofb

★★★★ Rewatched by tofb 27 Jan, 2016

Not as spooky the second time around. Definitely worth the second viewing though. Love that Donald Sutherland. Maybe not the handsomest guy, but still very appealing!
    Great interviews on the dvd regarding behind-the-scenes.

• Chardy

★★★½ Watched by Chardy 29 Jan, 2016

Defiantly narratively vague.

• Emily Fisher

★★★★½ Added by Emily Fisher

In this film, Venice is a beautiful relic of a city slowly drowning; a cold, twisted labyrinth that a husband and wife desperately, with so much love for one another, try to navigate in order to escape their consuming grief. But it's a dark, evil world when little girls drown, and the terror of this film stems from the terrible futility of it all.

Also the sex scene was explicitly masterful. Don't Look Now just embodies the seventies.

• jto111

★★★★ Added by jto111

Chilling horror film, set in Venice, from director Nicolas Roeg.

• Seanery

★★★★ Rewatched by Seanery 21 Jan, 2016

It's a neat little story with a hell of an ending, but the real reason to see this drama/thriller/horror is to witness Roeg in his prime - and all the crazy zooms, creative framing, and brilliantly fragmented editing that comes with it.