• Brendan Hanson

★★ Watched by Brendan Hanson 27 Jul, 2014

Overall, i felt that this movie danced around a lot of ideas without converging on a single one. Was it horror? Drama? Suspense/Thriller? I just couldn't tell because it tried to be all of those at once, but failed.

Maybe i have to watch it again. But whatever.

• Christian Dzubiel

★★★½ Rewatched by Christian Dzubiel 25 Jul, 2014

Die legendäre Bettszene, virtuos gestaltet mit entfesselter Kamera und nicht-linearer Montage, ist alleine schon das Anschauen wert. Der dritte Akt mit einem einsamen, dem Tode geweihten Donald Sutherland, der durch ein abweisendes und dunkles Venedig irrt, ist ebenfalls beeindruckend.
    Das Portrait eines Paares, das den Unfalltod ihrer Tochter verkraften muss ist letztlich weitaus überzeugender, als der etwas aufgesetzte und symbolisch überladene Horror.

• Joseph Brown

★★★½ Watched by Joseph Brown 24 Jul, 2014

A horror movie with such finesse that you can't even recognize the genre until it sneaks up on you and pounces.

• Souvik Ghosh

★★★★½ Watched by Souvik Ghosh 24 Jul, 2014

If Walkabout was brilliant, this is a notch above - the second movie that I have watched by this director does not fail to engage and enthrall and take you into a trip through the amazing Venice. In fact this film would be much lesser if the alleys of Venice were not an omnipresent force across the duration of this masterpiece. The film opens with a terrible incident and ends with an unforgettable one, but what Roeg does in between…

• Morbus

★½ Watched by Morbus 24 Jul, 2014

Apparently considered a classic but I just found this film rather dull. Most of the scenes seem pretty pointless and they drag on and on like that terrible, clumsy sex scene.

• Franni

★★★★ Watched by Franni 22 Jul, 2014

Unsettling and beautiful pictures. My favorite kind of horror movie.

• Ed Scheid

★★★ Watched by Ed Scheid 20 Jul, 2014

I saw this for the first time, I thought that the editing and camera angles, as well a the tantalizing visions that Sutherland'd character gradually saw, successfully built up the sense of ominous dread. Great shots of Venice.

I don't think the couple was suited to be parents. At the beginning, they were inside enjoying each others company while the children were playing outside, and in a dangerous setting near water. I felt this was emphasized with the sex scene…

• Chevalier

★★★½ Watched by Chevalier 20 Jul, 2014

It was quite the coincidence i saw this after Argento's Tenebre, both movies dealing with duality, and how not everything is what it seems to be. This could be consider a giallo, but it's more of a psychological drama in the vein of the 3 colors trilogy. The emotional weight the dead of a loved one carries into other peoples life is explored with raw honesty, including one of the most genuine sex scenes in the history of cinema. The…

• Anthony George

★★★ Watched by Anthony George 15 Jul, 2014

If you ever fancied seeing Donald Sutherland nude, then this is your movie.

• James Healey

★★★ Watched by James Healey 15 Jul, 2014

Not Spooky/10

• fieldmouse

★★★★½ Watched by fieldmouse 07 Jul, 2014

Ghost dream giallo. For days black smoke has been oozing from the psychic wound it gave me like black lightning. It's governor demon of my roiling nightmare constellation now, that face, that shaking of the head. No, no. Dear lord, longing and death.

• Ryan

★★★★ Watched by Ryan 06 Jul, 2014

Knocking another title off my List of Shame.

I enjoyed this mostly from a technical standpoint. Loved the way it was shot, loved the editing, etc. The emotional part of the story, however, everything dealing with the characters and how I'm supposed to care for them and root for them and feel for them, was sadly underplayed. This film feels more like a technical exercise than an emotional experience. While I do recognize the skill with which it was crafted, I don't think I'll be coming back any time soon.