• anne_f_

★★★ Watched by anne_f_ 14 Apr, 2014 2

This might well have been an accurate adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel (it's two or three years since I read it so can't remember how much it departs from his story) but this film failed to enthral me. I think it must have been the way in which it was acted, and perhaps the effects - they made it not feel like a 19th century story.

• realrustyhook

Watched by realrustyhook 14 Apr, 2014

Works everytime.

• calmenorama

★★★★★ Added by calmenorama

There is much to be learned from beasts.

• Paul Wood

★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Wood 03 Apr, 2014

An overblown masterpiece, filled with lashings of self indulgence and a heavy side order of ham.
    Coppola's vision of Dracula was never going to be simple, taking in Hammer, Universal Horror classics and silent cinema. It may look like a mess, and frankly, it is, but as messes go, it has heart and soul. And that's gotta' count for something.

• Ivan Keta

★★★ Watched by Ivan Keta 22 Mar, 2014

What happens when a society of sexually-repressed Victorians catch a glimpse of ankle and collectively orgasm.

• Jonathan Woollen

★★★½ Watched by Jonathan Woollen 13 Mar, 2014

The unassuming evil of Keanu's terrible British accent. A movie so lusty in every frame must banish a persona so without libido, and it effectively does so. After an hour, I could only succumb to its will in a few stretches (mostly those with Oldman and Ryder), but when a movie suggests such omnipotence as this one, rapture isn't far away.

• Joe

★★★ Rewatched by Joe 15 Mar, 2014

Part of my Rewatch list.

My opinion is unchanged. There's a visual style that I find appealing despite the fact that it really makes no sense for the movie. Its like its trying to mix the old Universal Monster style with that of a giallo film. This would be better if Dario Argento made this (actually I've seen Dario Argento's Dracula and its horrible. Statement redacted). This actually makes sense that Francis Coppola would make the movie this way given…

• unipedal

★★★ Watched by unipedal 11 Mar, 2014

Goddamnit Keanu, you sure ruined a lot of movies in the 90s. That accent...

Bram Stoker's Dracula is a weird experience. It's like the people in the set department, the costumes department, the makeup department, the sound department, and the editing room are making one film...while the writer and the actors are making a completely different one. The competing objectives lead to a mediocre film with a lot of wasted potential.

I love the cheesy over-the-top ridiculous film the former…

• Dustin Sells

★★★★ Rewatched by Dustin Sells 09 Mar, 2014

Much maligned for making the implicit sexuality in the novel explicit. However we find a well realized vision of most of the major thread of critical theory concerning the late Victorian novel. Tom Waits, Winona Rider and Anthony Hopkins deliver inspired performances.

*every print I've seen is very aged. This is in desperate need of remastering.

• Greg Cwik

★★★★½ Added by Greg Cwik

I recall brazen nightmares spurred by my limited first glimpse of the film when I was very young: Dracula and his flowing red robe crawling insect-like along the vast stone walls of his castle, and Keanu Reeves (pre-MATRIX, mind you) being enveloped by naked women as their breast rose majestically out of pristine white sheets. This may very well have been the first time I saw boobs in a movie, though I can't be sure.

Now I don't find the…

• Rowland

★★★★ Rewatched by Rowland 16 Feb, 2014

[B+]

A fucking jam session that never fails to give me a cinechub.

• Adriii

Rewatched by Adriii 02 Mar, 2014 2

Destacaba por su propuesta visual -sobreimpresiones, montaje...- pero es una virtud que no ha aguantado bien el paso del tiempo. La narración es un desastre y la mayor parte del metraje es de un coñazo insufrible. Basta de ensalzarla por la frasecita de los océanos de tiempo.

PD: Pero qué malo es Keanu.