• Lena Houst

★★★½ Rewatched by Lena Houst 24 Oct, 2014

OR: The Grand Byoodapesht Hotel

Messy, sloppy, indulgent, yet often with flashes of affinity for classical avant-garde horror embellishments. Oldman conjures a chasm of desire, sadness and fury out of a character seemingly wrung dry long ago. Could've been sexier, even stunning in different hands - Darren Aronofsky and Peter Strickland come to mind - but glad Coppola punched out such playful camp.

Less glad about pale, bland men playing the heroes - decapitating women, killing random gypsies, ending true love. Pure heroism.

• Daniel Escaners

Watched by Daniel Escaners 25 Oct, 2014

Como ejercicio estético y visual me parece muy interesante. Como película... no tanto. Irregular y artificial a ratos. El Drácula que desarrolla Gary Oldman es, a riesgo de decir alguna gilipollez al no haberme leído la novela de Bram Stoker, un poco "peculiar" debido a su carácter casi romántico. Es una película extraña, curiosa y que merece la pena ver. Aunque luego la pongas a parir, da igual.

• Rick DeSantis

★★★★ Rewatched by Rick DeSantis 25 Oct, 2014

One of the better Dracula's. Gary Oldham is both creepy and cool in his different appearances. Loaded with stars. The makeup EFX are excellent. Love the score, locations and costumes. Sadie Frost steals the movie from Keanu and Winona. Dracula's brides may be the hottest ever, not sure why Keanu wanted to leave. :-) Monica Bellucci was one of them. Tom Waits as Renfield rocked and the asylum scenes were awesome.

• Arninja

★★★½ Watched by Arninja 23 Oct, 2014

I must admit, I don't know the story of Dracula.

Of course I know some of the bits, he's a vampire looking for his lost love... I actually started reading the novel once, but for some reason I didn't finish it.

So it was really fun to actually witness the full story of Count Dracula, and I must admit it wasn't bad at all. The settings in this films are really well done, the costumes great and some of the…

• Josh Eckert

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Eckert 14 Oct, 2014

OCTOBER HORRORFEST 2014

Ham-fisted, over-the-top, inaccurate (there's no reason other than marketing to call this "Bram Stoker's" Dracula) and yet this is such a great take on Dracula. It also showcases one of my all time favorite Gary Oldman performances.

I never noticed it before this recent viewing but Coppola seemed to go out of his way to shoot this like a classic Hammer Horror film. Lots of fog and very obvious sound stages. Also, great use of Tom Waits as Renfield.

• YI JIAN

★★★ Watched by YI JIAN 21 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober Challenge (For Beginners) Film #21

I vomited a total of three times throughout the 127-minute runtime of Dracula. Not that it has anything to do with the film though, food poisoning.

Its just for your information. Now, to the film.

Dracula is very ambitious, an astonishing technical achievement in cinema. Here, Francis Ford Coppola used match cuts, cross dissolves, lightning and multiple exposures to their full potential. The entire film is done without CGI. It is like nothing I've…

• Tarryn-tino

★★ Watched by Tarryn-tino 19 Oct, 2014 3

Dracula took 128mins to do exactly what Nosferatu did in 81mins and made a really horrible job of it. How this film has an average rating of 7.5/10 on IMDB, i don't know.

I love Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, but I don't even think they could have saved this for me. I actually couldn't wait for it to end. I can't even really put into word how ridiculous I thought this was and don't even get me started on…

• Jack Cox

★★★½ Watched by Jack Cox 18 Oct, 2014

There is no question this is the best adaptation of Dracula, while it's not the best overall this is the most faithful to Bram Stoker's book. So in that way it succeeds where the previous have fallen slightly short.

There is also no question this is the most beautiful adaptation as well, director of photography Michael Ballhaus delivers exquisite picture perfect images from beginning to end, if it's not Eiko Ishioka's costumes, it's Thomas Sanders and Garrett Lewis' Production Design…

• Coheed

Added by Coheed

Film #17 for my Halloween season of reviews - letterboxd.com/coheed/list/halloween-31-for-31-2014-edition/

• Martin Kørra

★½ Watched by Martin Kørra 17 Oct, 2014 1

My thesis stands.

• Sean Summ

★★½ Watched by Sean Summ 16 Oct, 2014

What a baffling experience.

To put it plainly, any moment involving Gary Oldman is mesmerising, and any moment with Anthony Hopkins is engaging. Pretty much any other moment is aggressively painful.

In the early scenes between Oldman as the old Dracula and Keanu Reeves, the film literally went from a 5 star film to a half star film from shot to shot. I kid you not. To have dialogue between such an operatic, intentionally melodramatic, and haunting performance and the…

View

• The Movie Opinionist: Dale Hutchinson (Watching Movies, Giving Stars and Opinions... Like a Boss)