• Steve Kimes

★★★★½ Added by Steve Kimes

Wow, what a movie. A visual feast, Coppola acts like a magician, pulling a new, unexpected trick out of his hat. Amazing cinematography with camera tricks galore are wonderfully ample and complex, not using the same trick twice. It is a traditional telling of Dracula, with occasional visits from the Exorcist, the Mummy, and a variety of stories from the Dracula tradition, weaving one thread in here and cutting another tradition out there. What we end up with is a…

• Felix von Pless

★★★★ Rewatched by Felix von Pless 30 Oct, 2014

Though the film is titled Bram Stoker's Dracula, it contains major alterations to the original novel. While Stoker portraits the vampire as a creatures without emotions, Francis Ford Coppola adds a romantic story line, between Dracula and Mina.
    This might irritate the literature loving viewer but is in fact what creates the true fascination here, as one feels pity for the monster—also thanks to an overwhelming acting performance from Gary Oldman who depicts the dark lord evenly friendly-loving and deeply demonical.
    There is still much left to say—but in the end it is one of the most emotional classic vampire films I watched so far.

• reelman

★★★½ Rewatched by reelman 30 Oct, 2014

Francis Coppola must have decided on his approach to Bram Stoker’s Dracula after downing a case of Coppola Scarlet Label - Diamond Red Blend wine.

What a smooth blend this Dracula is: Harking back to his days under Roger Corman with exploitative horror schlock like Dementia 13, Coppola serves a mix of bloody violence and erotic fantasy. As he did with the gangster genre with The Godfather, he classes up this gothic horror flick with A-talent ingredients both in front…

• Neely

Watched by Neely 29 Oct, 2014 5

When it comes to vampire films, Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula just doesn't make the cut. Off putting accents, acting and camera work make for a disappointing film for the genre. The style of the film is completely over the top and the screenplay is ultimately dull. What a shame and coming from one of the top directors of all time, no less.

• Shylina

★★ Added by Shylina

Bram's Stoker's Dracula, huh? Whatever, Francis. Before there was Twilight, there was this hot-mess. Gary Oldman's Dracula is more like a True Blood vampire with his pining for Mina and whatnot. Sure, the 1931 version of the film is stagey and has crappy effects. It's still not the overblown, horribly-acted production this is. It is one of my favorite bad movies though. It's so ridiculous, you have to laugh at it.

• Deborah Aucote

Watched by Deborah Aucote 20 Oct, 2014

Wonderful imagery and direction - not a whole lot of narrative coherence. It's almost as if they assume you know the tale anyway (as a lot of us do) so don't put a lot of effort into actually telling it - it's the romance between the Count and Mina that keeps the whole thing moving along. Very OTT, but the thundering red skies, the grandeur of the castles, the gothic victorian setting, all of the flowing sheer fabric, the Count's…

• Lena Houst

★★★ Rewatched by Lena Houst 24 Oct, 2014

OR: The Grand Byoodapesht Hotel

Messy, sloppy, indulgent, yet often with flashes of affinity for classical avant-garde horror embellishments. Oldman conjures a chasm of desire, sadness and fury out of a character seemingly wrung dry long ago. Could've been sexier, even stunning in different hands - Darren Aronofsky and Peter Strickland come to mind - but glad Coppola punched out such playful camp.

Less glad about pale, bland men playing the heroes - decapitating women, killing random gypsies, ending true love. Pure heroism.

• Daniel Escaners

Watched by Daniel Escaners 25 Oct, 2014

Como ejercicio estético y visual me parece muy interesante. Como película... no tanto. Irregular y artificial a ratos. El Drácula que desarrolla Gary Oldman es, a riesgo de decir alguna gilipollez al no haberme leído la novela de Bram Stoker, un poco "peculiar" debido a su carácter casi romántico. Es una película extraña, curiosa y que merece la pena ver. Aunque luego la pongas a parir, da igual.

• Rick DeSantis

★★★★ Rewatched by Rick DeSantis 25 Oct, 2014

One of the better Dracula's. Gary Oldham is both creepy and cool in his different appearances. Loaded with stars. The makeup EFX are excellent. Love the score, locations and costumes. Sadie Frost steals the movie from Keanu and Winona. Dracula's brides may be the hottest ever, not sure why Keanu wanted to leave. :-) Monica Bellucci was one of them. Tom Waits as Renfield rocked and the asylum scenes were awesome.

• Arninja

★★★½ Watched by Arninja 23 Oct, 2014

I must admit, I don't know the story of Dracula.

Of course I know some of the bits, he's a vampire looking for his lost love... I actually started reading the novel once, but for some reason I didn't finish it.

So it was really fun to actually witness the full story of Count Dracula, and I must admit it wasn't bad at all. The settings in this films are really well done, the costumes great and some of the…

• Josh Eckert

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Eckert 14 Oct, 2014

OCTOBER HORRORFEST 2014

Ham-fisted, over-the-top, inaccurate (there's no reason other than marketing to call this "Bram Stoker's" Dracula) and yet this is such a great take on Dracula. It also showcases one of my all time favorite Gary Oldman performances.

I never noticed it before this recent viewing but Coppola seemed to go out of his way to shoot this like a classic Hammer Horror film. Lots of fog and very obvious sound stages. Also, great use of Tom Waits as Renfield.

• YI JIAN

★★★ Watched by YI JIAN 21 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober Challenge (For Beginners) Film #21

I vomited a total of three times throughout the 127-minute runtime of Dracula. Not that it has anything to do with the film though, food poisoning.

Its just for your information. Now, to the film.

Dracula is very ambitious, an astonishing technical achievement in cinema. Here, Francis Ford Coppola used match cuts, cross dissolves, lightning and multiple exposures to their full potential. The entire film is done without CGI. It is like nothing I've…