• Reed Gill

Watched by Reed Gill 15 Apr, 2015

Almost as good as Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler.

• maratp

★★★★ Rewatched by maratp 10 Apr, 2015

Coppola's last great film is a bold and over-the-top tribute to the beginning of the cinema. What prevents it from becoming a masterpiece is some melodramatic excesses and a clumsy last act.

ממרחק של 23 שנה, נראה "דרקולה" כשיא האחרון בקריירה של קופולה וגם רמז אסתטי לתקופה החדשה ביצירתו, שבה התמסר לנסיונות כמעט סטודנטיאליים עם המדיום הקולנועי על חשבון סיפור ודרמה. כאן, קופולה ניצל את העובדה שהעלילה של הספר מתרחשת בשנים הראשונות של הקולנוע, כדי להפוך את הגרסה שלו למחווה…

• Josh Surratt

★★½ Watched by Josh Surratt 10 Apr, 2015

I wish I had better things to say about this movie. On paper it seems like a good idea, but unfortunately I don't believe it was executed as well as it could've been. It had potential, certainly - but some things are better left undone.

For the record, I'm not big on many of the Dracula adaptations save for the Hammer series. To me those are the only ones worth watching, but that's totally just my opinion.

I think there…

• Foggy Pebble

★★½ Watched by Foggy Pebble 09 Apr, 2015

I preferred the 20s movie Nosferatu, it lacked all the moaning and boobs and was a half hour shorter, plus it was silent so I didn't have to suffer hearing the silly dialogue. The very end of this rendition was way more badass though.
    As much as I appreciate Coppola's habit of sticking to the book and being very detailed and managing to show how everyone is feeling and what their backstory is, this isn't one of my favorites of…

• Henrik

★★★ Rewatched by Henrik 07 Apr, 2015

Alternating between being campy and unsettling, this film is still an enthralling and bold adaptation of Bram Stoker's work that I like despite its flawed plotting and some so-so performances.

• bmprooney

★★½ Watched by bmprooney 04 Apr, 2015

Not bad.

Dracula is about a vampire. The film looks good at times. The story is complex and involves various narrations. The conclusion lacks excitement. Available on Netflix Instant, Dracula is an auteur requirement that may be skipped, but may be worth checking out.

DVD Combo Pack: Sleepy Hollow (1999)

• Dave Bastian

★★ Rewatched by Dave Bastian 28 Oct, 2011

“Faithful” adaptation of Stoker’s novel features Oldman as the immortal 15th-century Romanian soldier who turns up thirsty in 19th-century London. Over-the-top, opulently gory trash is miscast, terribly directed, and unintentionally campy. Coppola’s self-indulgence runs rampant, and since he never takes the film seriously, neither could I. No chills here; only Wojciech Kilar’s score seems to be on the mark. Oscar winner for make-up, costume design, and sound effects editing.

• moviemanwill

★★★½ Added by moviemanwill

An extremely well made just okay film. It's like the STOKER of the 90s.

• Chris

★★★★ Watched by Chris 29 Mar, 2015

I was all about this movie. It sucks that it feels like a "timeless classic" but there's some 90s in here FOR SURE that I could do without. Casting is questionable in a few places as well. I still loved it though!

• Keelee von Cupcake

★★★★★ Watched by Keelee von Cupcake 25 Jan, 2010

Every frame of this film is an absolute feast for the eyes. Easily one of the greatest vampire films ever made. I love it completely.

• Pube

★★★★½ Added by Pube

Despite Keanu's third or fourth consecutive portrayal of Theodore Logan, this film is almost perfect.

• DavetheDouche

★★★½ Watched by DavetheDouche 21 Mar, 2015

Flawed, odd, and fascinating. Coppola's visual flair here is not always entirely effective, but it is tremendously energetic and occasionally beautiful. The film attempts a more dialectical approach to the tropes of vampirism than usual. The film brings the text's concern with sex directly to the surface and, in a surprising take on the relation of vampires to Christianity, ultimately critiques Stoker's emphasis on purity.