• Tomi Mendel

★★★★½ Watched by Tomi Mendel 23 Jul, 2014

We've all seen a dozen adaptations of the DRACULA story - this is the first one that really grabbed me. It's a wacky, gruesome, strange, exciting, imaginative, hilarious, horrific film that's full, full, full of ideas. The whole thing was like an unfolding nightmare that I could not turn away from. I loved the commitment to dream logic, like the beautiful silhouetted battle in the introduction that reappears in the cinematograph, to cite one small instance. The story is propelled…

• BRNK

Watched by BRNK 25 Jul, 2014

Dracula is a never-ending series of vaguely related vignettes, cross dissolved into a tepid, murky soup. Coppola indulges in every surface-level movie making gimmick available to him, all while neglecting totally boring stuff like plot, character development, and coherency. The film understands nothing of horror. It frantically throws cliche after cliche at the viewer, never coming anywhere near tension, suspense, or scares. For a director who is ostensibly seasoned by the time he made this film, Coppola’s wild flailing gives…

• Nanna

½ Watched by Nanna 23 Jul, 2014

this movie isn't over yet and i already know this is the worst shit i have ever endured. it is a massive joke. everyone's accents are a joke. the special effects are fucking piss. the story is fucking awful and a waste of 2 hours. i hope all copies of this movie get buried in a desert like that fucking E.T. Atari game. fuck this movie. if you own it and haven't seen it just throw it in the trash now. save yourself.

• Batmouth

Watched by Batmouth 22 Jul, 2014

So I'm mulling this one over. This one is tough because I really really liked some parts of it, but found myself bored by other parts of it. The design of this movie is on another level. Coppola had every shot of the film storyboarded out before filming and it really shows. As a storyboard artist, I got off on a lot of the visuals of this movie. The movie doesn't seem to have one set visual style, it's more…

• Oliver Graham-Grisard

★★★★ Watched by Oliver Graham-Grisard 19 Jul, 2014

A good adaption of the book. Garry Oldman is fantastic as Dracula. Perhaps they could have gotten someone else to play Jonathan Harker instead of Keanu Reeves but maybe I'm being a bit nit picky besides that like I said a good adaption of the book, it doesn't stray away from it to much if at all. The human characters are well thought out and not boring.

• Caleb McCandless

★★★½ Rewatched by Caleb McCandless 18 Jul, 2014

Coppola understands the need for release, and provides it not only by crafting a believable romance between Dracula and Mira, but also by embracing the camp of both the story and his production of it. The effects are often gorgeous, allowing for an over-the-top telling of this classic tale that none the less manages to feel authentic. The picture does get weighed down a bit by some sub-par performances and a third act that doesn't quite keep up the pace of the rest of the picture, but this is still vibrant filmmaking on a grand scale.

• Austin Vashaw

★★ Rewatched by Austin Vashaw 15 Jul, 2014

The Two Cents gang tackles Coppola's artful, gleefully ridiculous, and woefully misnamed film.
    cinapse.co/2014/07/17/two-cents-bram-stokers-dracula

• FilmAddict

★★★★ Rewatched by FilmAddict 13 Jul, 2014

Still one of the most mesmerizing, poetic horror films of all time. And they did all of the effects old school nearly without CGI.

• Tim May

★★★★½ Rewatched by Tim May 14 Jul, 2014

Reeves aside, super underrated.

• EvilTwinRuss

★★★★ Rewatched by EvilTwinRuss 13 Jul, 2014

This is a film I always have had a complicated relationship with. But the fact that it's endlessly rewatchable has to count for something. I considered it a bit of pretty misfire when I first saw it. And it still has its obvious weak spots (Reeves's legendary bad performance for example). But here's comes another Russ story. Somewhere around '93, Coppola was on Charlie Rose who asked him if he thought his work since Godfather 1 and 2 had lived…

• manyoldpeople

★★★½ Watched by manyoldpeople 11 Jul, 2014

keanu makes it

• Daniel Mármol

★★ Watched by Daniel Mármol 11 Jul, 2014

Realmente vi ésta película sólo por Francis Ford Coppola, porque ni sabía cuál era el cast hasta que empecé a verla y bueno, no puedo decir que me decepcionó porque no esperaba nada de ella, igual así no me gustó. Los años ya le han caído encima y la historia no me parece tan buena, aunque sí entretenida. Estoy seguro que no la volvería a ver, por lo menos no por decisión propia.

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you."