• Scott

★★★½ Watched by Scott 26 Jan, 2015

This was watched as part of my Cannes Palme D'Or winning films of the 2000's project, which has to be one of the most depressing series of films in a row, where a film about coming to grips with the death of a teenage son is possibly the cheeriest film on the list. This film is just so utterly transfixing in the multiple tracking shots, the feeling of the school as a prison, the nonlinear time, the constant dread. It all builds to one of the most effective depictions of the horror of violence in a film.

• Josh Lambe

★★★½ Watched by Josh Lambe 23 Jan, 2015

Resonant.

• Sabela La

★★★★★ Watched by Sabela La 21 Jan, 2015

Séptima película del Reto Cinéfilo2015: Una película que se desarrolle en un instituto.

Uno de los mayores aciertos de Van Sant. Un movimiento de cámara brillante y la habilidad del director para decir mucho con pocas palabras hacen de 'Elephant' una oda a la compleja sencillez del cine.

• Tim Lawrence

★★★★★ Added by Tim Lawrence

A thoroughly draining and brilliantly crafted portrayal of a horrific story.

• Andrew

★★★½ Watched by Andrew 20 Jan, 2008

Written while reviewing films from mine and my wife's DVD collection and deciding which ones to keep and which ones to toss...

Brought into the collection by yours truly. I like Gus Van Sant and with the exception of "Gerry", I've never seen a bad film from him (God was that film awful though). "Elephant" is no exception, using amateur actors and even amateur looking photography to give us a real feel for the atmosphere of American high-schools and a…

• Thom Loudon

★★★★ Watched by Thom Loudon 10 Jan, 2015

Brilliantly succeeds in being an appropriately sickening portryal of an American high school shooting yet steering well clear of emotional manipulation - a road a great many lesser filmmakers might have gone down. Its greatness is in it allowing the viewer time and space to reflect on how such a thing could possibly happen rather than disrespectfully trying to tell you.

• James Utley

★★★★½ Watched by James Utley 31 Dec, 2014

Palme D'or Winners Challenge | #20

I was a bit skeptical coming into this film seeing as I've seen many people dislike it. Gus Van Sant I know can be a bit of a hit/miss in terms of his films' quality, but if Elephant represents the quality of his 'Death Trilogy', then I'm extremely interested to check out this other two.

This is essentially one of those films in which there are differing stories which collide in some ways, only…

• CaroleR

★★★½ Added by CaroleR

I watched this film for the first time when I was 15. No need to say that it left me kind of traumatised. I really liked it though, and I'd like to watch it again...maybe...some day.

• Alex Farah

★★★½ Watched by Alex Farah 26 Dec, 2014

The film relies a lot on sound and cinematography to build tension. The writing isn't fantastic and the performances are just fine. But the film looks really gorgeous. It's got this colourful yet muted sense of highschool. The wardrobe brings out a lot of the seemingly mundane colours of the school itself.

I felt like the point of the film was to create tension out of seemingly calm circumstances. I mean, it really was painted to show us that it…

• Phil Sternwise

Added by Phil Sternwise

If you want to barf out of sheer embarrassment that you're watching the most pretentious movie ever made, well fire up the VCR!

• Ava Davis

Watched by Ava Davis 22 Dec, 2014 2

this is self indulgent in the worst way possible. it's also pretentious and unfocused. also if you're gonna make a movie that has absolutely anything to do with school shootings please please please get into the shooters minds don't show then playing violent videogames and never address any motives. what a shitty movie

• Paul Bruce

★★★★ Added by Paul Bruce 15

Film 7 of 10 on Josiah Morgan's list for me.

Sort of can't believe this won the Palme, but I'm not sure why. I mean I can see how, considering its timing, it might have screened very successfully a decade ago. Still though, both the Palme and Best Director at Cannes; they must have really felt for this one.

Back-of-the-heads shots are some of my favorites and this has them allllll over the place. The whole aesthetic is very beautiful.…