• cnb

★★★★ Watched by cnb 31 Oct, 2014

I can appreciate the difficulty of making a film about an event like this. One doesn't want to celebrate, even inadvertently, the violence, and one doesn't want to sentimentalize the suffering. It's no small feat to thread one's way between these perils. Van Sant's approach is to keep a cool distance, but to allow those who suffered to be themselves, letting us get to know them a little without forcing our hand. For me, it worked.

The film was let…

• Aracno

★★★★ Watched by Aracno 19 Oct, 2014 1

Gus Van Sant's Elephant is an attempt to make sense of a senseless act, while at the same time being true to its senselessness — leaving the material unfinished, suggestive, and sermon-free. It's a sort of free-floating meditation on the tragedy, with a vérité touch and avant-garde mannerisms.

Elephant is a series of meandering takes, with the camera often stationed behind the heads of kids walking through or around their high school. The same scenes are repeated through the eyes…

• Chriskr

★★★½ Added by Chriskr

Van Sant's signature looking and pondering style in very effective in this film inspired by Columbine and other American school shootings.

• Julia Alexander

★★★★ Added by Julia Alexander

With sickeningly reminiscent undertones of the Columbine massacre, Elephant is one of the most horrific films about school shootings that exists today; it just takes a while for its impact to be made.

Directed by Gus Van Sant (Good Will Hunting), the film focuses on a group of students attending an unnamed high school over the course of an hour, just before two students enter and begin their killing spree.

From a local punk kid, to a trio of friends…

• Ciaran

★★★½ Added by Ciaran

muh Steadicam

• MarvinMartian

★★★★ Added by MarvinMartian

This film is one of my favorites. Based loosely on the events of Columbine, this film brings us so much more. If your looking for action, gore or a leading cast of actors move on. Though Gus Van Sant is not at the top of my list for directors, he has managed to achieve something special here. A glimpse into the very ordinary lives of some very ordinary people caught in a situation beyond their control.

A dramatically powerful movie that will deliver time and again.

• Tresc

★★★★½ Added by Tresc

Elephant is a necessary punch to the stomach in a post 9/11 world.

Constructing a narrative -- he's good, he's bad; they did it because of X, Y'S favorite film featured violence, BLAH BLAH-- well that makes the shooting, or any modern tradgedy, comfortable, digestible. Increasingly, this is what public is being subjected to by flimsy media outlets. We can all forget about these events as soon as we've pointed out or villains and their motives, the heroes and their…

• Gex

★★½ Added by Gex

Badly acted, slow paced, and at times amateurly shot. I know the whole film is supposed to be amateurly shot, but when it gets to the point where you can see the camera's reflection, I have to draw the line.

Gets interesting when the shooting begins. Everything else is kinda dull. Still, it did manage to keep me interested enough to sit through the whole film without fast forwarding through segments.

• Jay-r Trinidad

★★★★★ Watched by Jay-r Trinidad 10 Oct, 2014

everything just draws you in.

even if you want to look away.

• Jackson Spindle

★★★★ Watched by Jackson Spindle 14 Sep, 2014

Great cinematography and character introductions. Really love the long stretched out shots with music. Only problem is the climax is slightly underwhelming.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

A film that takes the mundane focuses on it and makes it beautiful. A must watch.

• Joe DiCanio