• b4hc

Rewatched by b4hc 21 May, 2015

with christof and shea at nwfc! second viewing maybe third actually. chris boddy showed this to me first, years ago. my first conscious memory of gvs but probably i'd seen gwh before.

really great. i love gus' movies almost without fail, fuck cannes news (except thank you to everyone who is keeping me passively informed!). almost each of his movies gets to be my favorite as soon as i finish it.

• Robert Schneider

★★★★½ Watched by Robert Schneider 22 May, 2015

"Most importantly, have fun"

It's weird how some of these shots had been ingrained into my memory despite only seeing it once when I was like nine on HBO. The television shot especially stayed with me for some reason. Making a part of the massacre happen in first person feels like the movie is saying "hey, you wanna see kids get murdered, you sick fuck?? It's just like in the games" and thereby making the audience complicit in the act. But it never feels like Gus is blaming video games.

• fightclubitis

★★½ Watched by fightclubitis 21 May, 2015

was that an artsy film about a high school shooting ? i mean i loved the camera work (walking sequences, blurry effects), but i felt it was used as an end in itself rather than a tool. i mean i get that he wanted to show us how different is life in high school from one kid to another (and he does it really well) but did we really need an hour of walking footage and camera tricks for that ?

• frankie_ts

★★★★★ Watched by frankie_ts 18 May, 2015

No words needed. Just the way it is, the yellow color and Beethoven's moonlight sonata.
    This film is absolute perfection.

• Jordan Mackay

★★★★ Watched by Jordan Mackay 16 May, 2015

An interesting film that presents a Columbine-esque massacre as is, without analysing or giving exposition or motivations, which ultimately makes the final 20 minutes or so all the more chilling; The idea that things like this happen just because.

There were a couple of moments I wasn't too keen on, but they were inconsequential and didn't really spoil my viewing, but I can see how people will struggle with this film if they lack patience. It's by no means a funny film, but I did chuckle at the sight of the possibly intentionally satirical website GUNS-USA.COM.

• Cory Dickson

★★½ Watched by Cory Dickson 16 May, 2015

Most importantly,have fun, man.

Why did Gus Van Sant think a passive approach to a high school shooting film would work? He makes no attempt to answer any questions, or ask them. He never tries to find pathos for the shooters. He didn't opt for an edgy and hyper violent approach.He doesn't focus on anything other than the events of this fictional shooting. What is the point of this? I can't think of anything honestly. I did like the narrative…

• Rocío Pérez

★★★½ Watched by Rocío Pérez 14 May, 2015

I actually liked it. I think it's a different way of showing such tragedy and make you look closer into the people who suffered it. Also i don't think it was slow at all, i mean i wasn't expecting it to be 80 minutes of people shooting other people, i think the time jumps make everything a bit less slow. The shooting part was crude and horrible, just like i expected to be it leave me very upset.

• Dan Giles

★★★½ Added by Dan Giles

A study famously estimated that by the time an average American child reaches the age of 18, they will have witnessed 40,000 screen murders. I respect "Elephant" and find it compelling in that its entire craft consists of presenting a Columbine-esque high school shooting in a manner that forces our desensitized American brains to reevaluate the revolting, tragic weight of violence. This is the only film I have watched where homicide on screen causes me pure anxiety. "Elephant" achieves this…

• Brandon

Watched by Brandon 08 May, 2015

Great date movie, 5 bags of popcorn

• russman

★★★ Watched by russman 03 May, 2015

Synchronized puking should be an Olympic sport

• mystery_mouse

Added by mystery_mouse

ik was 5 ofzo toen ik die zag

• R Stefaniuk

★★★★ Added by R Stefaniuk

completely unique and captivating. not for the faint of heart. captures pointlessness but is not shallow (i'm looking at you, sofia coppola's later films)