• Paul Bruce

★★★★ Added by Paul Bruce 4

Film 7 of 10 on Josiah Morgan's list for me.

Sort of can't believe this won the Palme, but I'm not sure why. I mean I can see how, considering its timing, it might have screened very successfully a decade ago. Still though, both the Palme and Best Director at Cannes; they must have really felt for this one.

Back-of-the-heads shots are some of my favorites and this has them allllll over the place. The whole aesthetic is very beautiful.…

• Obistrike

★★★ Watched by Obistrike 14 Dec, 2014

This is scary stuff. I would not like to live in a country that allows its people access to guns. What a fucking nightmare.

• Brendan Thiecke

★★★½ Watched by Brendan Thiecke 11 Dec, 2014

Paints a picture about the triviality of violence in our society (de facto the American off corse...). How can we make a dignifying world for our youth to grow up in, in these modern times? Puts the reflection completely at the feet of the viewer. Van Sant knows how to put everything in right proportions, for it to be a real voyage. I wish it would have been made with a little bit more attention to the production itself. Sometimes it's a little bit to clumsy to keep you immersed.

Timeline: www.imdb.com/list/ls070144688/

• Dreception

★½ Watched by Dreception 01 Dec, 2014

Tell me this is a great movie.
    Tell me the acting is great.
    Tell me the script is top notch.
    Tell me the line delivery is believable.
    Tell me it has deep thought provoking themes.
    Tell me its camera shots are so efficient and tension building.
    Tell me this is one of the best movies of 2003.
    Tell me this movie isn't a waste of time.

Tell me this is simply a bad movie, disguised as an "artistic, deep, groundbreaking film."

And you will only be right once.
    .....Can you guess which one?

• Francisco Zambrano

★★ Watched by Francisco Zambrano 23 Nov, 2014

A parte de la escena final y otras a lo largo de la pelìcula, este film va directo al baùl de pelìculas borradas de tu memoria fàcilmente. : No hay rutina ni mundanidad en una tragedia. Un minimalismo (o "realismo") muy forzado.

• Chris Drake

★★ Added by Chris Drake

I think that Gus Van Sant wanted me to know that only gay, internet-knowledgeable, piano- / game-playing, nerdy, bullied, autistic kids commit school shootings—that vapid, ignorant, dolled-up, bulimic, party girls can't hear gunshots and screaming—that a circle of philo-masturbating people won't notice someone being shot with a shotgun for at least thirty seconds—that the only black person in Oregon has zero fear and is self-sacrificial, just in case you didn't know that black people were people too; all in all…

• Kyle

★★ Watched by Kyle 21 Nov, 2014 3

I'm not really sure what to say about this movie. I just didn't like it very much. I didn't like the long takes of continuos walking that just felt like filler, I didn't like the treatment of some of the main characters by the film makers, I just didn't like how it was put together. I get some of the movie was purposeful in its design especially as it pertains to the monotony but I just think it worked against itself.

• AJ44

★★★★ Added by AJ44

This is one of the prettiest, most-emotive films I've ever watched, although I'm the first to admit its slow, repetitive pace is not for everyone. But I find it to be a pretty accurate depiction of high-school everyday life, and with great use of the revealing and extensive long-shots on the (few) characters. I've watched it three times, and certainly will do it again in the future. What a lovely film.

• Blain Granado

★★★★½ Watched by Blain Granado 17 Nov, 2014

Chilling with a side helping of melancholy. This is not a film that is trying to mine some universal truth. This is a film that simply is. Do with that what you will. You always fear what you don't understand...

• Nick C

★★★★ Added by Nick C 2

Elephant is a tough one. If you "like" this film, you probably missed the point. It's almost impossible to like it. That being said, it's one of the best representations of pure and senseless evil that I have ever seen on the screen. This Palme d'Or winning film follows various students around a school throughout a seemingly ordinary day. Throughout the film we see glimpses of two students planning an attack on the school. It is based on the Columbine…

• nikae

★★★ Added by nikae

Not much about to say the other things but the way using sound was so brilliant.

• Kirenia

★★★½ Watched by Kirenia 08 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.