• Josiah Morgan

Shit.

• SJHoneywell

★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

Wants to offer some
    Insight on high school shootings.
    Kinda does, does not.

• Rodney Sedgwick

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rodney Sedgwick 17 Aug, 2014

''So foul and fair a day I have not seen.''

Gus Van Sant's minimalist form exercise Elephant, is a think-piece and question-raiser in the form of a dreamlike visual poem. He offers up clues that might offer possible motives for two unhinged character's to shoot up a school in Columbine style, but as is the case with any act of violence, our understanding of it is inexplicable, and by not offering any catharsis with his film, he provides a path…

• josephhenderson

★★★★ Rewatched by josephhenderson 11 Aug, 2014

Very simple. Very powerful.

• Kurt Fabisch

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kurt Fabisch 14 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• schmone

★★★½ Watched by schmone 09 Aug, 2014

Oh that;s some good film making. Repeating situations from different perspectives. And those long shots.

• laheysadrunk

★★★½ Watched by laheysadrunk 05 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Ben Dugan

★★★½ Added by Ben Dugan

Easily the best of Gus Van Sant's "Waling Around Aimlessly" trilogy. This one follows a handful of students on a normal day of school that turns unexpectedly violent.
    Not a masterpiece but the cinematography is pretty strong, the acting (by non-professionals) is pretty good, and Van Sant makes no statement whatsoever about the cause of school violence. Insanely pretentious but also the only of this trilogy that isn't a terrible bore. Worth watching.

• Koner

★★★★ Watched by Koner 04 Aug, 2014

dELEPHANTly a great film

• itsrainingfrogs

★★★★★ Added by itsrainingfrogs

Review: Elephant

Plot: A day in the life of several high school students. The say starts fairly average, but as more is revealed things take a turn for the tragic as two students prepare for a dark and disturbing "game".

General Comments: Congratulations, Gus Van Sant. You've officially made the scariest movie of all time. The film builds up an hour of realism through the average lives of the students, before showing 15 minutes of unflinching terror. I'm not going…

• Adam Redman

★★★★ Watched by Adam Redman 02 Aug, 2014

An extended exercise in making an audience feel uneasy and then sick, which Gus Van Sant can do with a simple sway of his camera or by putting an out-of-focus figure at the end of a corridor.

• Bill Shannon

★★★★ Added by Bill Shannon

More terrifying to me than any horror movie, not only due to its subject matter, but in its presentation. Gus van Sant builds up tension ever so slowly, showing a cross-section of high school life: different kids, classes, cliques, all going about their seemingly normal high school day, which (we learn early on) will culminate in a massacre of students at the hands of two loners.

Van Sant makes the film so ominous by letting the tension build matter-of-factly, not…