• nicksav

★★ Added by nicksav

A film that could've easily have been something great but ends up falling flat on its ass and never recovering.

• Stephanie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Stephanie 28 Aug, 2015

The boyfriend had never seen it, so obviously we needed to watch it. A classic!

• robthefilmgeek

★★ Added by robthefilmgeek

One of those hip 90's films I can't help but feel detached from despite some cool songs on the soundtracks and a number of actors I enjoy seeing. It hasn't aged well either.

• Sabela La

★★★ Watched by Sabela La 25 Aug, 2015

Para mí los 90 en Estados Unidos eran algo así.

• abbie hills

★★★★ Watched by abbie hills 23 Aug, 2015

I decided to put on Empire Records after unsuccessfully finding a film on netflix. I wasn't expecting much, thinking that it would just be another boring coming of age film. I couldn't have been more wrong - i absolutely love this film, the characters are funny and wacky, and i like the storyline. I was also very impressed with Renee Zellwegers performance as Gina, it was very entertaining. I felt a sense of closure at the ending but also sadness, i felt like i went on a journey with the shop workers during their day at Empire. I would definitely watch again.

• freecialis

★★★½ Rewatched by freecialis 14 Aug, 2015

Panned when it was released but I watched it at least a dozen times in high school and think this still holds up - the sense of place is real, the cast is ridiculously good, and the dialogue (especially Lucas's) is funny. Who needs a plot when you have characters?

• matthew

★★★½ Watched by matthew 05 Aug, 2015

I owned the soundtrack in 1995 but I never bothered to see it. This was surprisingly good; I liked how weird it was and how low the stakes are. I thought the characters were very well drawn for the most part (not all of them). The major problem is that the romance between Liv Tyler and that dude who is clearly suffering from Nice Guy Syndrome is pretty useless and without any affect. I also really liked that the film…

• Kurdt

★★½ Watched by Kurdt 02 Aug, 2015

How can a film be so charming and easy to like yet so damn stupid at the same time? Empire Records somehow manages this feat, gifting me with a big smile one scene before a face-palming groan the next.

Existing in that nostalgic bubble of 90s slacker films that followed Linklater's lead and captured the apathetic nature of the decade, the film follows the owner of record store Empire Records Joe and his ragtag group of employees. The characters themselves…

• Patricia Marie

★★★½ Watched by Patricia Marie 01 Aug, 2015

I hate to admit that I enjoyed the film. I like this. I like that it basically doesn't have a plot. It's aimless. It doesn't know what it's supposed to be. It fails to deliver a message. It's just what it is...a fun, maybe boring, movie. BUT I ENJOYED IT!!

I hated most of the characters. They're all so shallow. Cookie-cut characters gone bad. A perfect girl with a secret, who has a best friend who sleeps with boys and…

• Josh Darby

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Darby 21 Jul, 2015

Film #18 of the "Scavenger Hunt #4" Challenge!
    Task #14. Film featuring a suicidal person(s)!
    My list: letterboxd.com/darbyact/list/joshs-film-scavenger-hunt-list-4/
    Original List: letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt-4

Okay... so... I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie, yet I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars. Why? It's a flawed film. Yet, still yet, I can't deny that every time I watch it I laugh, I cry, I'm moved to achieve greatness, I relate to every character on screen (even though I clearly am Joe now, when I…

• Fran Lane

★★★★★ Rewatched by Fran Lane 17 Jul, 2015

Felt like I was exsanguinating today so decided to watch an old favourite. There are literally no flaws to this film. Always amazing.

• Ian Loring

★★★ Rewatched by Ian Loring 10 Jul, 2015

So very 90s. Funny enough but a touch overlong and none of the characters really make all that much of a mark.