• J. N. Smith

★★★ Rewatched by J. N. Smith 02 Aug, 2014

My wife loves Empire Records, however, she’s quick to point out that working in a music store is not as cool as it seems in this film. I’m not as big of a fan as she is, but Empire Records has grown on me over the years.

• landskip

★★½ Watched by landskip 25 Jun, 2015

Not good. Some of the acting is quite painful.

• rossboyask

★★★½ Rewatched by rossboyask 27 Jun, 2015

Highly enjoyable, and rather rewatchable comedy set in a record store.

• OtisPGrumble

Watched by OtisPGrumble 17 Jun, 2015

This was one of those cult movies that passed me by.
    I'm really gald it did.

It's like someone watched Clerks and decided they could make their own mainstream version.

Quite frankly it was bollocks.

• Alicia Coombs

Added by Alicia Coombs

When it comes to movies I loved as a youngster, I rewatch them as an adult and must sort them into three categories - actual good movies I can continue to love for the rest of my days ("Clueless"), shitty movies that I still love regardless so everyone can just fuck off ("The Doom Generation"), and poop. This movie is poop.

• Robbie Owen

★★ Watched by Robbie Owen 18 Jun, 2015

I know I should like Empire Records. I know I'm supposed to be a hip, happening, young 'un into top baselines and funky tunes or whatever, but all the characters are workshy, self-centered, oblivious, pretentious dicks and the whole thing feels contrived, like someone who was told their Richard Linklater impression was 'really good' at a party trying to pass it off as a 90-minute film of it's own. I'm probably wrong. But no thanks.

• Eric Robinson

Watched by Eric Robinson 11 Jun, 2015

It's so edgy. Like these are the edgiest and angsty-est and coolest and authentic-est teenagers I have ever seen. They are so cool. I'm just blown away. *Yawn*

The problem with "Empire Records" is that it's so over the top and shameless in its attempts to represent Generation X that it ends up being a terribly inauthentic and hilarious caricature of them.

• Will Darmody

Watched by Will Darmody 05 Jun, 2015

The ratio of annoying characters to non-annoying characters is approximately 7:1, which truth be told, makes for a truly dispiriting viewing experience. This movie is basically a very poor man's High Fidelity, it's all fluffy and bright, with lots of exciting colours to keep the youngsters' attention. And let's not forget all the faux-angst and depression that's there to ensure the film doesn't appear completely faux.

This movie sucks, big time.

• Charlie Derry

★★★½ Watched by Charlie Derry 25 Mar, 2015 2

A film in the same genre as classics including Dazed and Confused and Almost Famous, but it doesn't have the same edge to it. Just a great cast and a classic 90s feel, making it a more than average teen drama.

• mejico

Watched by mejico 28 May, 2015

Dogwater.

• OmnipotentDog

★★ Watched by OmnipotentDog 22 May, 2015

Empire Records is a confused film, which in turn, confuses the audience too. We are introduced in the beginning to a record shop with several clichéd 1990s archetypes, but along with these characters comes no depth or interesting quality. All we are offered are the shallowest murmurings of character development.

And the same goes for the plot, too. The film starts by establishing the fact that the record shop is going to be sold to a larger franchise, but the…

• aleisha

★★★★½ Watched by aleisha 04 May, 2015

I watched this film expecting not to like it, partly because the majority of the reviews I'd read called the film "predictable" and "mediocre" but mostly just because I'm not really a fan of Renée Zellweger. I have a lot of things to say about this movie. Each character is a stereotype but where most reviews will criticise this about the film - I love it. The characters are stereotypical but loveable, they're all underdeveloped which is a shame because…