• Chris Vaughan

★★★★★ Watched by Chris Vaughan 26 Mar, 2015

Two points to make about this movie straight away.
    1. I would give anything to work in a place like Empire Records.
    2. I loved this movie so much I had to bump off Tenebrae from my favourite movie choices on here to put Empire Records in.
    This movie was so fun and charming but it also got pretty intense and unravelled at some points. I loved all the characters with their own little quirks (stereotypes? Possibly). The story was…

• anjimenez

★★½ Watched by anjimenez 21 Mar, 2015

El de The 100 y la de The Leftovers se lían. El fumado de Dazed and confused no está tan fumado y tiene el pelo corto. Y Bridget Jones está normal aún. Buen rollo, buena música.

• Jay

★★ Watched by Jay 17 Mar, 2015

So much potential, all of it wasted on hateful characters and an anodyne plot.

The soundtrack's pretty cool though.

• George Williamson

★★½ Added by George Williamson

There are always iconic films of an era that everyone but you has seen and loves to death. Such is the case for Empire Records; a film much loved by those who saw it the first time around, but without nostalgia goggles it seems hokey and dated, full of zeitgeisty cool that's long since become passé (but not yet rolled around again). Amusing and enjoyable enough, but my movie of this era will always be Mallrats, which is terrible, but will always have a special place for me.

• Kacey Bange

★★★ Watched by Kacey Bange 01 Mar, 2015

Cute enough, but nothing substantial enough to last.

• Shaun Munro

★★½ Watched by Shaun Munro 09 Mar, 2015

Note: I watched the "Remix" Special Edition of this movie.

Though the cast is excellent and there's a strong mix-tape of songs, Empire Records just doesn't try hard enough to be the hip comedy it clearly wants to be.

The subplots become increasingly annoying - Liv Tyler's drug use, Warren getting hired, and how nobody seems to care enough about $9000 going missing - leading to an insanely effortless, cheeseball finale in which everything is tidily resolved.

Not bad as such, just a bit of a let-down given the potential.

• Marna Larsen

★★★★★ Added by Marna Larsen

So, this thing happened to me a few years ago where I got the Fan Remix version of this on DVD. And at first, it was cool. I mean, who doesn't want MORE of their all-time favorite movie, right?

Well, me after I watched it about a dozen times and realized something was WRONG. It just lost it's compulsive watchability. It wasn't the same movie I fell in love with.

Then, I found a copy on VHS and played it…

• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 01 Mar, 2015

Empire Records.
    I liked it a lot. This is the kind of movie where I wish I lived in that world. The record store set was fantastic and beautiful and all the characters with their many quirks were all very believable and entertaining. Sure, there was some over-the-topness, but I enjoy that in a film. This is, in fact a quintessential teen 90s' film. It has all the elements:
    -Angst
    -Counter-culture
    -Obscure bands
    -Small town nobodies moving out into the…

• John Robinson

★★★★ Watched by John Robinson 28 Feb, 2015

Where has this movie been all my life?!?!?

• KUATO2084

Added by KUATO2084

It's not funny, it's not interesting, and I didn't like a single character.

• Steve Tothill

Watched by Steve Tothill 25 Feb, 2015

Despite my love of 80s college movies I am pretty much stuck in the 90s. However, some how this film had totally passed me by. And thank fuck for that. Man, this is some bullshit right here. Singles may have spawned Friends, but it's more representative of that period than this sterile crap. Well, if you into grunge I guess...was this meant to be a spoof? There's a dog on the poster, weren't no dog in the film! Straight bullshit.

• splisken

★★½ Added by splisken

ah mid ninties slacker films, you either hate them or you used to think they were really cool and then found yourself shocked at their pointlessness when you rewatch them when your in your 40's.

its like clerks but not as good.