• Hannah Renton

★★★ Watched by Hannah Renton 07 Oct, 2015

Soooooo 90s

• emma renton

★★★ Rewatched by emma renton 07 Oct, 2015

hannah watched it for the first time
    she does not like lucas lmao

• muchogroucho

★★★ Watched by muchogroucho 04 Oct, 2015

Really not that great but also kinda great. I give it points for being about a record store and how unreasonably attractive the cast is. The alt-pop soundtrack is perfect too. Everything else is just okay, but it's still pretty fun. Sounds better on vinyl.

• Paul Fleming

★★★ Rewatched by Paul Fleming 24 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Turns out that this is 20 years old this week so decided it was due a re-watch.

In the 1990s so many low-budget comedies were going for a "one day in the life of..." approach. Allan Moyle's Empire Records focuses on a day in the life of a ridiculously overstaffed record shop but, as much as it tries, it is essentially Clerks without the dialogue and Dazed and Confused without the characters and chemistry.

Yet I remain a sucker for…

• Bryan Strang

★½ Rewatched by Bryan Strang 02 Oct, 2015

If you don't understand what girls are talking about when they complain about female characters being written terribly by men, you can watch the reverse happen here. Except Rex Manning, of course. He's perfect.

• gracesimone

★★★★ Added by gracesimone

I have no wifi in my new flat, so i am probably going to end up watching my entire dvd collection in the week while I wait to be reunited with my best pal THE INTERNET/can watch all my shows.

Empire Records is still well good (other than Cinema Du Look, 90s teen films are my fav genre of films that I really should hate) and it's even weirder watching it now I work in a cinema because I always…

• Alexei Toliopoulos

★½ Added by Alexei Toliopoulos

It is all very preposterous but the cast is extremely attractive. Huge babes.

• Rhett Miller

★★ Watched by Rhett Miller 12 Sep, 2015 1

Pretty obnoxious Gen-X angst movie that, like the times, is all about rage and little about substance. The conceit of following all these young people around a record store for a day is a good one, but the plot is so patchwork and scattershot that it amounts to nothing but some impromptu WILD AT HEART-esque song and dance at the end. As the movie concludes on some trying, brazen attempt of a 90s zeitgeist moment, it gets stuck in more…

• Peter Rogers

★★★★ Watched by Peter Rogers 20 May, 2015

I used to work in a record store throughout my university stint. I always got the feeling that our store and staff were very much cut in the vein of Empire Records.

I guess now I've come to accept that we were far more like the corporate, bottom-line Music Town that sought to replace the quirky independent store.

I really enjoyed this move, it's 90's humour and the 'stick-it-too-the-man' attitude. Whilst it's a little dated at times, it's oddball enough to be very enjoyable.

• hamttallah

★★★½ Added by hamttallah

Great 90s movie

• nicksav

★★ Added by nicksav

A film that could've easily have been something great but ends up falling flat on its ass and never recovering.

• Stephanie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Stephanie 28 Aug, 2015

The boyfriend had never seen it, so obviously we needed to watch it. A classic!