• Jordan

★★★½ Watched by Jordan 20 Dec, 2014

It took about an hour to get into and still has pacing issues throughout, but once Tom Cruise went to the party things really picked up from there. The music reminded me a lot of John Carpenter's Halloween as it was simple yet incredibly eerie. Unfortunately, the "reveal" at the end is extremely disappointing especially with the incredible build-up. EWS is a film I'd probably watch again, it's just a shame knowing what it could have been.

• Chip

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chip 20 Dec, 2014

Any ladies want to come to my Christmas party?

• Alec Price

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alec Price 09 Dec, 2014

Kubrick's remarkable final film is every bit as much of an odyssey as 2001, but whereas his iconoclastic space epic expanded outwards, Eyes Wide Shut contracts inwards. Perhaps what fascinates the most is the way jealousies can spiral based on the revelation of unfulfilled fantasy rather than actual infidelity - and the irreconcilable realisation that one can never truly know what inclinations swirl in the mind of their closest and most trusted. The tentative move toward acceptance of this conflict…

• Lucciano Vezina

★★★★★ Watched by Lucciano Vezina 19 Dec, 2014

After just watching this film, I told myself I need to get all of Kubricks films on Blu Ray. Eyes Wide Shut is one horrifying psychological horror thriller I couldn't keep my eyes shut. It was like having a nightmarish dream in the mansion sequence where there were the masked people. When seeing them, they were like gods and monsters. But unexpectedly it was a wonderful nightmare. I would love to keep re-watching this soon.

• Daniel

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel 19 Dec, 2014

An engrossing examination of sex and its relation to the human psyche. Kubrick's direction is haunting, and though I can't fully articulate what I mean by that, it's the only adjective that feels right. Cruise grounds the illusive plot in a necessary realism, and it's absolutely impossible to do anything else but get swept away in Kidman's performance whenever she's on the screen. I'm sure I didn't catch every nuance or symbolism this time around, and that's why I look forward to revisiting it in the future.

• Dan Simolke

Rewatched by Dan Simolke 18 Dec, 2014

Helllo, Sally

• Cameron Evans

★★★★½ Added by Cameron Evans

Kubrick was still at the top of his game

• Connor Burns

★★★★½ Rewatched by Connor Burns 19 Dec, 2014

Took a slight dip unfortunately. But honestly I realized as many new great things about this as I did minor issues.

• Rumsey Taylor

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rumsey Taylor 17 Dec, 2014

A dovish Tom Cruise is emasculated when his wife describes, with disarming finality, a purely sexual fantasy. Consequently, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery in which he endeavors to arouse whatever inherent monstrosity lies within him, as a means of retaliating against his imaginatively promiscuous spouse. But he can't; the bulk of the movie is about Cruise repeatedly trying and failing to be this monster, and at the end he succumbs in the arms of his wife, tearfully relinquishing…

• JMOursler

★★★★½ Watched by JMOursler 18 Dec, 2014

Rom-com for intellectuals

• Khristopher Marang

★★★★★ Rewatched by Khristopher Marang 17 Dec, 2014

Oh the masks we wear.

• bulletproofQpid

★★★★★ Rewatched by bulletproofQpid 17 Dec, 2014

"Don't you think one of the charms of marriage is that it makes deception a necessity for both parties?"

What it is it to love someone? To trust them? Is it possible to lose that trust without them actually doing anything, but simply admitting they've thought about it?

Eyes Wide Shut asks these questions, but doesn't give any simple answers as we watch Bill Harford and his wife, Alice, struggle with their marriage after a conversation brought on by the…