• Fabio Andrade

★★★★ Rewatched by Fabio Andrade 17 Feb, 2015

* written assignment for the class "Film history after 1990", taught by professor Richard Peña at Columbia University.

A distorted puzzle
    by Fábio Andrade

In the very last scene of Wong Kar-wai’s Fallen Angels, the killer’s agent (Michelle Reis) says a couple of the film’s most memorable and transparent lines: “The road home isn’t very long, and I know I’ll be getting off soon. But at this moment, I’m feeling such warmth”. The camera pans up from the moving motorcycle…

• Daniel Sarath

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Sarath 24 Jun, 2015

Fallen Angels was originally conceived as a third part of Chungking Express but was cut out and became a standalone movie. This explains why Fallen Angels has such a B-side feel to it. It has a similar structure as two story-lines run parallel and boasts the same pop style that wouldn't have been amiss on MTV back in its heyday. However, Fallen Angels is a little more reliant on these extravagant visuals and less so on the feelings that gave…

• OtherBarry

★★★★½ Watched by OtherBarry 22 Jun, 2015

Fallen Angels looks and feels like a darker, stranger companion piece to Chungking Express. It may not be as warm and inviting as Kar-Wai's previous film but it's excellent nonetheless and visually more impressive than Chungking Express.

• Rian Mercer

★★★★ Watched by Rian Mercer 21 Jun, 2015

For whatever reason, this didn't strike me in the same way that Chungking Express did, despite being every bit as good, if not better, technically. Again, the film is split into two interwoven stories, which share the same themes. The characters are wonderfully created, if not a little too over-the-top in an otherwise matter-of-fact film. Visually, this film is brilliant, with some excellent camera work ranging from black and white scenes, time lapse, slow motion and a more blurry effect,…

• IsmaelRetzinsky

★★★ Watched by IsmaelRetzinsky 17 Jun, 2015

Once again Wong Kar-Wai captures the insane energy and atmosphere of Hong Kong beautifully. Compared to Chungking Express, the energy is ramped up to absurd degrees. All in all, this is a movie that can be mostly described as "irreverent". Incredibly wacky and violent moments here and there.

Overall, I felt less emotional investment in this film compared to his other works. Comparing it directly to Chungking Express, I felt less here for all but one of the main characters.…

• Vertivango

★★★★½ Watched by Vertivango 11 Jun, 2015

Seemingly a series of loosely connected events with varying plot lines, Fallen Angels is something of a (very 1990s) look into lonerism. Wong Kar-Wai is probably most famous for how his movies are shot and that is definitely on showcase here. Every shot seems to be precisely strange as to give an insight into equally strange people.

The romances are odd, suitably, and I always think that odd romance is more beautiful than the storybook kind because being surprised or taken for a weird journey to find someone or something that may not exist is better than a happy but expected outcome.

• Felipe Bascunan

★★★★ Watched by Felipe Bascunan 08 Jun, 2015

"What's he doing?"
    "Who knows."

What a bunch of wackos.

• dogeric25

★★★★½ Added by dogeric25

Stylish and chaotic. I consider it very much a spiritual sequel to Chungking Express, in terms of atmosphere, directorial style, setting and characterization. At one point looking back I actually liked it more than the former, enjoying the existentialist crises experienced by all of the characters. But it's not perfect, and Express is perfect.

• Dayveed

Watched by Dayveed 04 Jun, 2015

Talk about sensory overload. Nostalgically romantic pseudo-gangster flick for the MTV generation? Too cool.
    Certainly funnier, and perhaps even sadder than Chungking Express though it lacks the natural energy and flow of things. Fallen Angels is left sparse, with flashy imagery and vérité type camerawork used as an overly-stylistic crutch, which I can't say is always a bad thing. Its a great film to look at, which is typical of the Wong/Doyle dynamic here, but when the film starts to…

• yrsurfinman

★★★★½ Rewatched by yrsurfinman 03 Jun, 2015

The movies that Wong Kar Wai and Christopher Doyle made together make pretty much every other movie look like complete shit.

• Banquo

★★★★ Watched by Banquo 03 Jun, 2015

Second film in my brief Wang Kar-wai marathon.

Ascetically and thematically similar to Chungking Express, the film is a solid effort notable for some incredible cinematography and editing.

• Mars

★★★★½ Watched by Mars 25 May, 2015

A hitman and his female partner, a girl that was left by her boyfriend for another woman, and a hard working mute are the type of people who you could never imagine connecting with each other. Yet, in Kar Wai Wong's beautiful story these 4 do much more than just connect. An extraordinary love story that illustrates loneliness and obsession in the most abstract way. A way that had me glued to the screen from start to finish. Fallen Angels is a unparalleled piece of work that I could not possibly describe in simple words. Maybe its because I'm still in awe, who knows?