• Alex

★★★½ Added by Alex

I'm not as huge into the Wong Kar Wai films that deal with two intertwining narratives, and I'm also just not into films that have female characters that never desist crying, so this one was already up against a hard barrier, but I definitely think that this one has my favorite individual moments of any Wong Kar Wai film. The way Takeshi Kaneshiro bounces around in the kitchen, the entire opening sequence with the neon lights and wide angle lens, and the ending is one of my favorite endings ever; which sits neatly beside the endings to Miami Vice and Heat, oddly.

• Hpromonex

★★★ Watched by Hpromonex 26 Aug, 2015

This movie features any number of qualities that would generally turn me off: handheld, slow-mo, excessive voice-over (I think there are probably 2x as many lines of voice-over as there are lines of dialogue). The gestalt of the whole thing ended up being an interesting tale about strangers who are close and lovers who are distant. The density of Hong Kong presses down on these characters; they almost know each other out of sheer proximity. The film drags at some…

• Patrick Dunham

★★★ Watched by Patrick Dunham 26 Aug, 2015 2

Kar Wai Wong’s Hong-Kong set gunfight-filled gem refuses classification into any one genre. It is a crime but also thriller, romance, and action genre movie, centered around three mostly unspeaking characters. One is an assassin, another his business assistant for his occupation, and the third a mute by choice. The mute claims that he ate an expired can of pineapple and ever since hasn’t talked much, but I am skeptical of this causation.

Much of the story is driven through…

• Antonio Quintero

★★★★ Watched by Antonio Quintero 11 Aug, 2012

SAW IT AT 24 HMM # 18

I love this beautiful film. It has one of the funniest Ice Cream eating scene.

• Magnus Sølvberg

★★★★ Rewatched by Magnus Sølvberg 25 Aug, 2015 2

Fallen Angels certainly improved a lot for me, on a second viewing, having now seen Chungking Express definitely put it into a new perspective.
    Want to like this film more, but i found both Wong Chi-Ming (the killer) and He Zhiwu to be a bit more ´boring´to watch.
    while repetition worked great in Chungking Express, it had a bit of a tedious feeling in Fallen Angels.
    It also lacks the ´realization of what characters are doing´ that i´ve seen and loved in other Wong Kar-Wai films. (In The Mood for Love, Chungking Express)

If you´re interested in Fallen Angels, watch Chungking express first.

• sawyer106

★★★★½ Watched by sawyer106 18 Aug, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Only a few minutes into my first Wong Kar-Wai film I already fell in love with the atmosphere he has created. His intensely visual style of filming is both captivating and somewhat surreal.

Fallen Angels follows the story of multiple characters who rarely interact with each other who all experience drastic changes in their lives as a result of their decisions. The first, a hit man who decides he wants out of his current lifestyle; the second, his partner -…

• Ferre Rodriguez

★★★★ Watched by Ferre Rodriguez 19 Aug, 2015

And then I went home and masturbated and cried until I fell asleep.

• Ben Radetski

★★★½ Watched by Ben Radetski 15 Aug, 2015 2

First off let me say that I just ADORE the way this movie was filmed. It's so immersive, you feel like your right there with the characters. McDonald's never looked so beautiful. It's a shame there aren't other movies with similar visual style.

Fallen Angles is a pretty good movie. I'm floored by the cinematography. The soundtrack is great as well. It perfectly compliments the visuals. The imagery of Hong Kong is beautiful. Lost in Translation is really the only…

• Patrick

★★★★ Watched by Patrick 14 Aug, 2015

If I ever get to completing my script, this is what I want my movie to look like. Masterful shots, beautiful cinematography and brilliant use of sets, objects, people and placement.

• Josiah Morgan

★★★★½ Added by Josiah Morgan 4

Directors Retrospective Series: Wong Kar-Wai #5

My reviews have been so lazy lately, so first off I just want to apologise for that. It's been a very very busy few months and won't slow down for another while, so the reviews will be sparse and not as in-depth until late December or so.
    With that out the way, let me review this film with this, a quote from a far more comprehensive review than I would write:

"If Chungking…

• noli

★★★★½ Watched by noli 05 Aug, 2015

Style is substance./,

• Joey

★★★★ Watched by Joey 04 Aug, 2015

Chungking Express was a film about falling in love and the state of being in love. The film's first half, set in nighttime Hong Kong, had its dark colour palette punctuated by splashes of warm hues. The second half primarily cements itself in a daytime setting, with Wong Kar-wai's directorial skills expertly placing a woman in love against sunny backdrops and upbeat music.

Originally slated to be included as part of Chungking Express, Fallen Angels serves less as a continuation…