• mcflykitty69

★★★★ Watched by mcflykitty69 24 Jan, 2015

Why are they speaking Japanese?

• No-Personality

★★★★★ Watched by No-Personality 22 Jan, 2015

#45 in my 99 90's Movies month.

Even though it's piloted by narration, there is nothing phony here. (Also: ♥ Takeshi Kaneshiro!)

• BrandoTH

Watched by BrandoTH 21 Jan, 2015

really cool camera work, very dizzying as it is constantly in movement. adds a touch of dreaminess to the urban landscapes.

• Samuel

★★★★½ Watched by Samuel 20 Jan, 2015 2

Why did I ignore Wong Kar-Wai for so long? This is definitely my kind of movie. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single daytime scene in it. Just beautiful, moody nighttime Hong Kong. The movie has an improvisational feel to it, especially with the camerawork, when in reality it's probably very thought out and planned.

I was really impressed by Fallen Angels, want to see more by this guy.

• skyfacility

★★★★ Watched by skyfacility 12 Jan, 2015

One of those films that perfectly define how the 90's was awesome. I loved the camera work, the two stories, the characters, it's just a great lesson in film-making. Kar Wai Wong deserves recognition as a great director and storyteller. The way the camera moves never makes the film tiresome. Makes me wish I was in my 20's, seeing this in a theater in LA with a group of friends. Instead I was 11 or 12 at the time and watching Hackers in a Los Angeles mall. Although Hackers is a great 90's film as well, it isn't as emotionally powerful as this film.

• Paul Ouellette

★★★★ Watched by Paul Ouellette 03 Jan, 2015

It had moments of pure genius but, mostly, I just loved the cinematography. Also, Laurie Anderson.

• Donald Cavi

★★★½ Watched by Donald Cavi 04 Jan, 2015

the extremely cold and abstract companion to chungking express. there are several parallels to be found and these parallels make for some of the film's most rewarding moments. typically I can't get into wong kar wai films so well on the first watch. he is such a radically different filmmaker where you gotta take your time to dive in one of his work or you're just gonna have a frustrating time. i enjoyed a lot about fallen angels, especially the…

• G. Smalley

★★★½ Watched by G. Smalley 25 Dec, 2014

Tracks the adventures of a hitman who is half in love with a partner he has never met, and a mute who likes to break into businesses overnight and physically force customers to eat ice cream or get a shave. A strange and often confusing semi-comedy that reworks CHUNGKING EXPRESS' urban alienation to lesser effect; viewers who invest their time are paid back in style rather than emotional impact.

• Alan Jarvis

★★★★ Watched by Alan Jarvis 14 Dec, 2014

'All you need to make a film is a girl and a gun' (Jean Luc-Godard). Kai-War picks up both of these elements with enthusiasm. He adds another girl or two, more guns, a couple of guys, a great trip-hop score and some fancy (in a good way) cinematography and then seasons the lot with his usual flavour of thwarted or unrequited love. Not much plot as such, but the heady brew was more than enough for me. Cinema glamourizes violance and objectifies women. Both Kai-War and Godard know that, but aren't always sure what to do about it.

• Tyrion Lannister

Rewatched by Tyrion Lannister 06 Dec, 2014 9

"Most people fall in love for the first time as teenagers, I guess I'm a late bloomer"

I'm a late bloomer to when it comes to loving this movie, not by choice but by circumstance. On my first watch through, I enjoyed it, but was hindered by flaws that were only there because of how/where I was watching it.

I was motivated to see it again because of glowing praise by my good friend Gogo, especially her beautiful review of…

• BruceWayne14

★★★★ Watched by BruceWayne14 06 Dec, 2014

A darker, seedier and almost bioluminescent interpretation of the themes presented previously in Chungking Express.

Wong Kar-wai flexes his noir influences and creates a strikingly dystopian look at Hong Kong that borders on cyberpunk. The visuals contain so much emotion that the film honestly could work as a silent film and still be both simultaneously sobering and intoxicating. This is why I feel that the voice over present doesn't quite contain much power or purpose. Still, the film is contains Wong Kar-wai's cool-as-hell expressions of loneliness and loyalty.

Also: best use of a Laurie Anderson song in any movie ever.

• Emmanuel Flores

★★★★★ Rewatched by Emmanuel Flores 25 Nov, 2014

Fallen Angels is focused on the realism of relationships. Considered the spiritual sequel to Chungking Express, FA is something darker but of course, still fantastic. There's a sort of realism with some fantastical elements in Wong Kar-Wai's film, and that's his signature mark. I love Fallen Angels and I consider it to be some of Kar-Wai's best work. It's nothing short of real. Towards the end, Wong perfectly captures the motif of smoke dispersing as Michelle is holding tightly to…