• circumaural

Michelle Reis

• feedingbrett

★★★½ Watched by feedingbrett 24 Nov, 2015 3

Review In A Nutshell:

Fallen Angels would forever stand as the core reminder of my growing love for Wong Kar-Wai, a film dripped in style, advocating a visual kinetic that similarly attributes of a Terrence Malick film, it roams and intrudes in the personal space of its characters, it is assertive and romantic, it sweeps the audience off their feet, it gains an immersion that is remarkable, an indulgence of style that triumphantly defeats his predecessors. Yet narratively, Fallen Angels…

• Hector_S

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hector_S 23 Nov, 2015

Extraodinary movie about loneliness in a big city.

• Zac Goldkind

★★★ Watched by Zac Goldkind 10 Nov, 2015

At this point, Fallen Angels is my least favourite of Wong Kar-Wai's filmography. My emotional arc during the viewing of the film was incredibly unbalanced and by reading many reviews of the film, I'm not sure that was meant to be the case.

The beginning of this film is breathtaking. Kar's visual prowess and use of in camera effects is some of the most impressive I've seen. His utilization of these aspects of filmmaking are relevant to the expressive ideas…

• Tom Sheridan

Watched by Tom Sheridan 17 Nov, 2015

God, if this entire movie were just the juke box scenes, it would be a contender for best ever.

So much desperate, deceptively quiet longing. Ghosts wander the neon nighttime streets of Hong Kong, aching for a life to fill the empty spaces.

• HannibalChew

★★★ Watched by HannibalChew 11 Nov, 2015

Wong Kar-Wai is a weird one: there are elements in his movies I absolutely love, and then there are those that I can't stand.

First of all, midway through the movie I realized that this was supposed to be a continuation of Chungking Express, and it's obvious: there are people cleaning apartments, quirky characters, and the exactly same approach to showing a romance between these people. Which I find to be obnoxious as the second story in Chungking.

His style…

• Henry Carroll

★★★★ Rewatched by Henry Carroll 11 Nov, 2015

A rain in Hong Kong
    Shields Wong's fish-eyed romantics
    From expiration.

• Ben Smith

★★★★ Watched by Ben Smith 10 Nov, 2015

Hong Kong nightlife as a feverish, hypnotic dream. At times it's surprisingly comedic, at others it's a subtle depiction of isolation and the bizarrities of life but it's never anything less than bliss.
    So far, the finest film I've seen from Wong Kar-wai and one of those exceptional films that I feel I'll only grow to love more.

• Féry

★★★★★ Rewatched by Féry 07 Nov, 2015

I love movies about me.

• DgM0

Watched by DgM0 15 Aug, 2015

There was a lot that I liked about this film. It took certain elements similar to Chungking Express and imo improved upon them. The pacing was better, I preferred the overall soundtrack in this film, and I also preferred the way in which two stories were told side by side and sometimes intertwining as opposed to two separate stories one after the other. That being said the second half of Chungking Express was so good that I prefer that film over this one.

• Alex

★★★★ Watched by Alex 04 Nov, 2015

Consistently cool, alluring and charming throughout.

• Kai Perrignon

★★★★½ Watched by Kai Perrignon 30 Oct, 2015

Mood piece? Love letter to the the time flow? Elegy for the missed connection? Ode to the taken chance?

All of the above, and oh so cool.