• russman

★★★★ Watched by russman 05 Apr, 2014

I don't know why Blondie doesn't answer her phone. Maybe she should stop telling people to "Call Me".

• ScreeningNotes

★★★★ Rewatched by ScreeningNotes 26 Mar, 2014 2

Somehow this entire movie is encapsulated for me in the black & white shot of Takeshi Kaneshiro and Charlie Yeung.

There's a sort of hopeful melancholy to everything that happens. It's so off-kilter that even the camera finds itself at odd angels, often too close to its subjects, and distorting reality to fit the characters' conception of it. Fallen Angels is also more vulgar than anything else from Wong Kar Wai, both in the sense that the romance is much more sexual rather than sentimental, and in the sense that the violence, though still stylized, is much more visceral.

A solid followup to Chungking Express.

• JamesLebowski

★★★½ Watched by JamesLebowski 18 Mar, 2014 3

A unique visual style turns the Hong Kong night into a surreal void of longing, melancholy, moral ambiguity and odd characters in episodic tales.

As of now I can only acknowledge that "Fallen Angels" has a very hypnotic quality to it with it's green-ish, yellow-ish and neon-heavy colour palette, typical 90's choppy slow motion shots and recurring odd camera angles that bring the viewer close to character's faces while they narrate through voice over, with the world behind them getting…

• the_narrator

★★★★½ Watched by the_narrator 22 Mar, 2014

This was a little better than the other Chris Doyle movie I watched recently, Lady in the Water.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★½ Added by Tom Prankerd

Stylishly beautiful but not without considerable substance. Wong-Kar Wai greatly improves the formula seen in Chungking Express (itself a great film), with better stories and even more visual panache.

• BilltheThrill

★★★★ Watched by BilltheThrill 16 Mar, 2014

My 2nd WKW, Fallen Angels, is a freely structured, visually stylish film that is filled with energy and emotion. I thought there were a few kind of lame segments (the more comedic ones like when they‘re looking for “blondie” or when the mute is forcing that guy to eat ice cream). There are plenty of great sequences too though, and I loved the enchanting visuals along with the perfectly matched dreamy soundtrack.

• Bongo Tango

★★ Watched by Bongo Tango 28 Dec, 2013

When Wong Kar Wai stumbles his way to something brilliant like 2046 or In the Mood for Love, he crafts something distinctive and special, something that isn't bound to narrative, but explosive and messy and wonderful. And then sometimes he makes dithering, toneless stuff like this. The broad, quirky comedy is lost on me, and the melancholy never reaches the glorious heights of his other films. Somehow even the cinematography seems less engaging and creative. Doyle overuses wide angle lenses,…

• Samuel Cooke

★★★★★ Added by Samuel Cooke

Something clicked. Say hello to the new best Wong Kar-wai film.

• Emily

★★★★½ Watched by Emily 07 Mar, 2014 3

Watching this almost felt like being in an alternate universe where Godard was actually a filmmaker in Hong Kong in the 90s. Not quite though. It's too unique to be interchangeable like that.

One of the most cinematically self-aware films I've ever seen- you will always feel the presence of the camera and the editing won't go unnoticed. Though a little difficult to get used to, it's an artistic novelty. This film is stylistically brilliant.

Also one of the most…

• yuricoyurico

★★★★★ Watched by yuricoyurico 08 Mar, 2014

Pretty amazing, but I feel that one would have to have seen Chungking Express first in order to "get" the film (whatever that means).
    Camerawork is very beautiful, it has the "Wong Kar-wai feel" that I really love- one of the opening scenes (at an underground train station, I think?) was a favourite, and the acting is top-class, with Kaneshiro Takeshi's comedy timing just right.

• Ellie Clem

★★★★ Watched by Ellie Clem 27 Feb, 2014

Once again, Wong Kar-Wai and Chris Doyle have created a film with seriously beautiful visuals - their style is unique, it really can't be compared to anyone else's I've seen. The lighting and the colours were as amazing as ever and every shot was filled with loads of interesting stuff to look at. The spaces felt realistic, they felt alive and actually lived in and I love that the film isn't in extreme HD like most films are nowadays, it's…

• bowi3

★★★★★ Rewatched by bowi3 15 Feb, 2014

probably my personal favorite of wong's films. the song by chiyi chen is an old taiwanese standard, chen's version almost brings me to tears everytime