• Fugen

Added by Fugen

disjointed

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 14 Sep, 1995

The first time I saw Kar-wai Wong's "Fallen Angels" was at a private sneak screening. His masterful film swept over me like a refreshing but polluted rush of air.

Christopher Doyle's odd and surprising lush cinematography was only just coming to my attention at the time I saw this movie. His unique cinematographer eye is a perfect match for Kar-wai Wong's experimental cinematic visions.

"Fallen Angels" often feels drunk. Seemingly unrelated characters weave in and out of an odd mix…

• Anthony Le

★★★★ Watched by Anthony Le 22 Jul, 2015 2

Part of Essential Films To Watch
    Part of A Film A Day Keeps The Doctor Away V. II
    Part of Recommendations
    This one was recommended to me by PinHeadLarry!

"The best thing about my profession is that there's no need to make any decision. Who's to die... when... where... it's all been planned by others."

Fallen Angels is my prompt, confident and beautiful introduction to the work of Wong Kar-Wai. This is one of his earlier works - before In…

• shotgunassassin

★★½ Watched by shotgunassassin 20 Jul, 2015

Has good monents, really funny moments, even beautiful moments, but somehow it all falls short.

• Oliver

★★★★ Watched by Oliver 19 Jul, 2015

More exhausting, hazy, and dark than its predecessor, Fallen Angels is still a decent follow-up to Chungking Express. The juxtaposition of the brooding hitman and the naive mute was inspired and gave this film the ability to tonally shift efficiently, which was sorely needed.

The incredible duo of Christopher Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai help this film to carve out its own niche in their filmography by making more heavy use of surreal and dreamlike visuals, which I greatly appreciated, especially…

• Paulo Godchalk

★★★½ Watched by Paulo Godchalk 18 Jul, 2015

Wong Kar-Wai: The consummate expressionist.

• Rashid

Added by Rashid

An apt follow-up to Express - easily could have served as that film's third and fourth chapters. Kaneshiro's mute prison escapee could give Faye Wong's snack bar attendant a run for her money in the crazy department.

• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 13 Jul, 2015

It's hard for me to fully comprehend what this film did. It was so visionary, extraordinarily vivid, and captivating. The narrative was very loose and non-linear, which I didn't mind, but the visuals and narration concepts were what threw me for a loop. This was a fantastic piece of cinema that I'm still trying to wrap my brain around. I haven't fully gotten the "meaning", but I feel like there is one there. Much like a Jarmusch film, the plot is very free form, almost like a free jazz piece. I cannot wait to experience more of Kar-Wai's films, seeing as this is my first.

• Connor Denney

★★★ Watched by Connor Denney 11 Jul, 2015

Film #5 in My Wong Kar-wai Series

In true Wong Kar-wai fashion, Fallen Angels uses two distinct storylines that hardly intersect (narratively, at least) to tell a thematic story of lovesick individuals scouring the Hong Kong cityscape for some reason to live. If Ashes of Time was Wong's simplest at time of release, even with the utter lack of narrative and the strangely majestic confusion of the ideas of identity and time, Fallen Angels, despite its rather straightforward narratives, might…

• HsiangYu Hsieh

是帶給沉醉在王家衛電影人們的一種救贖
    就如同《重慶森林》結尾王菲和梁朝偉不再逃避彼此的愛情一樣

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★½ Watched by Kerry Maxwell 06 Jul, 2015

Though I found it's music video style of narrative appealing, I may have been too distracted to fully immerse (it didn't help that Netflix streams it in a distracting 480p), but as an introduction to Wong Kar Wai, it gives me something to look forward to in his other films. Downside is now I'm pissed the Criterion of Chunking Express is OOP and going for $100+.

• Vincent Briscoe

★★★★ Watched by Vincent Briscoe 06 Jul, 2015 1

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A stylistic triumph in terms of its cinematography, soundtrack, and storytelling. Roger Ebert compared it to feeling like a Godard film, and he isn't far off. Fallen Angels has a lot more heart.

I kind of can't describe it. It's quick, and the camera is constantly darting around into angles so Dutch you forget this is set in Hong Kong. But it works with the story, which is just vignettes of a few characters.

My favorite part was when the…