• Ian

★★★ Watched by Ian 30 Apr, 2016

Tarantino & Fritz Lang meet southeast Asia. Gritty, noirly lit, with expressionist tilt, an optimistic grimness makes this unique, given its geography. Not sure it stands the test of time, but certainly the "independent" movement.

• Callum

★★★ Watched by Callum 28 Apr, 2016

Won Kar Wai's worse film. Yet his singular, and distinctive, style helps it avoid being described as complete shit.

• Capra_cinefila

★★★ Added by Capra_cinefila

Le vite di un killer, della sua agente e di un ragazzo muto persi nel turbinio di una deriva esistenziale a cui il regista contribuisce con una atmosfera opprimente e soffocante (grandangoli a profusione) e con una fotografia buia e sporca. La vicenda del ragazzo muto è poetica, quasi metafisica, piena di umorismo e di situazioni toccanti (i video del padre). La storia del killer gronda romanticismo ed è valorizzata dalla presenza di Michelle Reis, ma è più convenzionale. Belli i dialoghi.

• Nina Alaniz

★★★★½ Watched by Nina Alaniz 25 Apr, 2016

"Fallen Angels (1995)" was a mysterious and slightly whimsical work of art; its silky hand-held cinematography and brilliant jade/amber hue {with the periodic usage of 'black-&-white'} echoed Krzysztof Kieślowski's "The Double Life of Veronique (1991)", along with the stylish appearance of Darren Aronofsky's "Requiem for a Dream (2000)". The film's cast was pure gold; their naturalistic performances were adorned by spectacular 'international' music, solace locations, and terrific emotional editing.

• pedroachilles

★★★½ Rewatched by pedroachilles 10 Apr, 2016

The most pop movie of wong kar-wai, it is still beautiful.

• Milton Guimarães

★★★ Watched by Milton Guimarães 15 Apr, 2016 3

The man really knows how to choose a soundtrack like no one else.

• MagaZulu

★★★★★ Watched by MagaZulu 13 Apr, 2016

A visual and, especially, auditory orgasm...

• Ollie_8

★★★★ Added by Ollie_8

• Jonathan White

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jonathan White 09 Apr, 2016 4

I wasn’t expecting that.

I went from being unsure about Wong Kar-wai’s darker cousin of my much loved Chungking Express on my first watch of it, to falling in love with it on the second. It wasn't surprising, as the experience was similar to my first and second encounters with Chungking; its charms only embracing me on that re-watch.

The plan was to re-watch Chunking, as it’s been close to three years since the last time I was 0.01cm from…

• Paula Toni

★★★★★ Watched by Paula Toni 10 Apr, 2016

Com Pedro.
    No Cine Segall.
    A película pegou fogo.
    Depois, visita ao museu.

• TJ Duane

★★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 06 Apr, 2016

Fallen Angels is the spiritual sequel to Chungking Express, and really, it is really that film's funhouse mirror. Where Chungking Express is a loving mixtape to longing protagonist cops, the aptly titled Fallen Angels is about the flip side. Here, longing protagonist crooks are featured in Wong Kar Wai's melancholic mixtape. Where there was optimism there, you feel as if the protagonists who survive this film aren't meant to meet Faye Wong in California.

This film isn't depressing, though, even…

• Gab Gonzales

★★★ Watched by Gab Gonzales 05 Apr, 2016

I liked this film. It's not Wong Kar-wai's best that's for sure but it is still as stylish as most of his work. I particularly loved The camerawork and the colorful characters but it wasn't enough to lift the uninteresting arcs these characters had. I know this was one of Wong's early efforts so I understand why it lacked the spark that Chungking had.

All in all I had fun but I wish there was more that it could offer.