• John Pritchard

★★★★ Added by John Pritchard

Michael Douglas is spectacular as the renegade surbanite who has been pushed too far

• kacman11

★★★ Added by kacman11

Left my Xbox and copy of GTA V at college, so this movie was my back-up plan.

And it's not far off: stiff character performances, an amusingly inaccurate portrayal of Los Angeles, wanton violence and some hit-you-over-the-head style satire.

Entertaining, but ultimately morally fucked; a Republican's wet dream captured on celluloid.

• Branden

★★★ Watched by Branden 01 Sep, 2014

Incredibly misogynistic and right-winged, but still, somehow, enjoyable enough.

• Jimmy Jones

★★★★ Added by Jimmy Jones

Definitely one of the wackiest and funniest 90s films out there; I saw a trailer for it airing on a movie channel and just knew there was something about the tone I would love. It's Joel Schumacher, but somehow the man managed to pull a real wham-bang comedy-thriller together. Michael Douglas, whose face has always scared me, plays a seemingly average working-class American who loses his temper and decides to lash out against society for a day.... this includes some…

• Jonathan Davies

Added by Jonathan Davies

Watched at Sam/Tom/John/Rav/Jonny's house in Third Year

• Matthew Vallée

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Vallée 20 Nov, 2014

This film was a bit like wish fulfillment for someone who has had a really bad day. The plot tackled everyday annoyances with society but took the revenge aspect to the extreme. Even though the protagonist was clearly unravelling mentally and much of his anger was misplaced, he was easy to sympathize with as I’m sure everyone has dealt with one of the situations portrayed in this film and wished they could do something about it. The subplot involving the…

• Ethan Magee

★★★★ Watched by Ethan Magee 19 Nov, 2014

I can finally say I've seen a good Joel Schumacher movie now.

• James Healey

★★★★ Watched by James Healey 20 Mar, 2013

Great pacing. Really good, beginning, middle and end.

• Andrew Nichols

★★★★★ Added by Andrew Nichols

classic.

• joelymalereview

★★★★ Watched by joelymalereview 13 Nov, 2014

Robert Duvall steals the show in this fantastic 1990's film.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★ Rewatched by Adrian Zachow 25 Jan, 2014

Michael Douglas portrays William Foster, a divorced, recently laid off man with a loose temper, driven to mental instability and violence by increasingly incensing occurrences on the way to his estranged daughter's birthday. Douglas's performance brilliantly mixes meanness and vulnerability in such a way it inspires both fearfulness and sympathy; Robert Duvall is also in terrific form as the imminently-to-be-retired cop who in living with a mentally ill wife feels a special connection with Douglas' character. Joel Schumacher's direction is very effective in mixing the film's varied tones (drama, comedy, suspense) into a cohesive whole which leads to a strong emotional pay off in the end.

• Bryan Colley

★★★★ Watched by Bryan Colley 31 Oct, 2014

Joel Schumacher's real attempt to make a serious statement about modern society, but the movie is borderline comedy and would have fared better if it embraced the absurd humor of the situation (as other films have also done, like God Bless America). Thankfully, Michael Douglas is good at treading that line between dread and laughter, and I don't know if Robert Duvall is aping Robert DeNiro of if DeNiro learned acting from Robert Duvall, but Duvall sure gives a DeNiro…