• Joseph Blackwell

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Blackwell 22 Jul, 2014

A very cynical look at the fractured reality of the American Dream anchored by a strong performance from Michael Douglas in Los Angeles painted as a sweltering hellhole. For a studio released film with a big star and Joel Schumacher directing no less, it sets itself apart with its bleak tone and pitch black comedy. Worth a watch definitely.

• Evan

★★★★ Watched by Evan 17 Jul, 2014 2

Sometimes you just have to let off some steam.

Out of what I've seen so far this is Joel Schumacher's best film.

• MovingPictures

★★★★ Watched by MovingPictures 14 Jul, 2014

Really excellent!
    Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall, Barbara Hershey, Rachel Ticotin, Tuesday Weld.
    Felt a connection to DEATH WISH (1974), although FALLLING DOWN is much more coherent. It is remarkable how one DOES identify and even sympathise with both Charles Bronson, in DEATH WISH, and Michael Douglas, in FALLING DOWN, but would NOT do or defend what they actually do on the screen, and how that might be just the thing that makes us different from the nazi surplus store owner…

• Jonathan

★★★★ Added by Jonathan

Another one of those Taxi Driver-type movies about a man who vows retribution against the society he abhors.

I liked this movie, purely for Michael Douglas' character, "D-FENS". One could dub him a Travis Bickle of the 90's, going through a mid-life crisis.

Falling Down not only performs satisfactorily as a political satire, but it has comic value, too. One such scene where D-FENS enters a generic fast-food restaurant and orders breakfast, only to be told that it was too…

• andieftr

★★★ Watched by andieftr 13 Jun, 2014

Τρελός ή τρελαμένος; Ακόμη προσπαθώ να καταλάβω.

• Ali Moneib

★★★★ Watched by Ali Moneib 15 Jun, 2014

Before making Batman go head to head with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Joel Schumacher directed 1993’s Falling Down. One of the director’s finest efforts, Falling Down is a very good film that is certainly worth your time.

In the film’s excellent opening scene, we see Bill stuck in traffic. The car horns are honking, a fly keeps bugging him, and as America would say, “the heat was hot”. And I mean really hot. He decided to just leave his car on go…

• stevenedwards

★★½ Watched by stevenedwards 13 Jun, 2014

Sporadically successful as a biting satire and black comedy, this is a troubling watch due to the times that we live in. It is no fault of the film, but with the how prevalent these rampages are across our country lately it is hard to necessarily cheer for someone like this.

Douglas is pretty great in the role though, convincing us that someone who had a day like this would being acting this irrationally. The script doesn't give him quite…

•  Justin Purwitsky

★★★★½ Rewatched by Justin Purwitsky 03 Oct, 2013

This is probably Joel Shumacher's best film. It's taught, tight, tense and terrific. Douglas and Duval are fantastic. The story is original and realistic (well there are moments that are over the top) and the script is very very well written.

This is no kid's film as the subject matter is dark and disturbing and gets more so as the film escalates. I've seen this film numerous times and it never looses its power to shock. That is a a…

• JohnQuinn

★★★★★ Rewatched by JohnQuinn 23 May, 2014

Blu-ray: The first time I saw this movie, it reminded me of my Dad.
    Watching it today in 2014, the movie reminds me of me.
    Why wasn't an album soundtrack of this score by James Newton Howard ever produced?
    Update: a score soundtrack was finally produced - in 2014. Better late than never.

• David Raposa

★½ Watched by David Raposa 23 May, 2014

Maybe another director could make a honest-to-goodness film about a proto-libertarian semi-bigoted shut-in cockwit that's upset at the world because he lost his job and he treated his family like shit and soda's expensive and the local Whattaburger clone deigns to not serve breakfast after 11:30 AM. Maybe that director could've unearthed the kernels of truth that are embedded in this scattershot script and made some salient points about modern society and the ways of the world. Maybe another director…

• Alistair

★★★½ Watched by Alistair 23 May, 2014

A great portrayal of a descent into insanity immensely supported by a great central performance from Michael Douglas.

• Neth

★★★★ Rewatched by Neth 19 May, 2014

If you can get past the confused morals, this remains a furious attack on the inanities of modern city life. Douglas makes for a compelling villain - and make no bones, he IS the villain - but it's Duvall who brings the humanity.