• Matt Conti

Watched by Matt Conti 26 Jul, 2014

**Part of the Best Picture Project**

I'm still trying to figure out if he's a good director or just a good exhibitionist, but one thing is certain: Adrian Lyne knows how to make a damn sexy film. It's the kind of film where you can just feel the heat and sweat off the actors' bodies, which just gives everything a sense of texture. Alex Forrest might be one hell of an unbelievable villain, but it's a testament to the pretty…

• Waldo

★★★★½ Rewatched by Waldo 12 Aug, 2014

I saw this way back in 87 with my mom! I remember sinking into my seat. I wanted to dissappear into the fuckin seat! A movie that doesn't age except for people smoking in public places and rotary telephones. A really unnerving film, brilliant in every way. Close, Archer and Douglas are just fantastic. I wish Adrian Lyne had done more movies. A defining movie for the 80's and one of the best of that decade.

• Nellymar

★★★★ Watched by Nellymar 04 Aug, 2014

Super intensa esta pelicula, basicamente lo que atrae es la actuacion de Glenn Close, este personaje te mueve un sin fin de emociones que van desde la euforia, la sensualidad hasta el terror.

Y es que despues de ver esta pelicula ningun hombre quiere una Alex Forrest en su vida.

Asumo que para la epoca esta pelicula era un escandalo.

• Tommy Mendoza

★★★★ Watched by Tommy Mendoza 03 Aug, 2014

This film sure pushed the boundaries of fucked up... After watching this, anybody should think it twice before engaging in one night stands. We get very strong performances by the 3 leads, and the story unfolds at a quite enjoyable pace. Glenn Close did one hell of a job portraying what psychiatrists diagnose as Borderline Personality Disorder. All the hype around it when it was released back in '87 was there for a reason, definitely worth a watch.

• bdavis

★★★★ Watched by bdavis 03 Aug, 2014

Very intense and very well done.

• 'Becca'lise

★★★★ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 30 Jul, 2014

I can't stop watching this one. It's my favorite have-on-in-the-background-while-I-do-chores movie. This and The Good Son. I don't know why.

• hypemachine

★★★ Rewatched by hypemachine 24 Jun, 2014

재감상이지만 여태껏 글렌 클로즈와 마이클 더글라스의 섹스씬이 어땠는지 기억에 없었으니 처음 본 거나 마찬가지. 신성한 가정을 파괴한 미친 독신녀의 최후를 보여준담에 단란한 가족사진 클로즈업으로 끝나는 에로틱스릴러.
    원래 45분짜리 영화로 기획되었을 때 제목은 일탈이었다는데 디어든의 의도대로 더글라스 캐릭터가 정사를 시작해 그에 대한 대가를 치르는 이야기였다면 어땠을까 생각. 그런 남자의 얘긴 레이건 시대에선 흥하지 않았을 거란 파라마운트의 판단이 주효했던 걸까.
    클라이맥스 직전에 더글라스 캐릭터가 아내에게 살갑게 대하면서 둘이 마주보고 웃는데 주먹을 부르던.. 뿐만 아니라 더글라스 캐릭터는 끝내 손에 피를 안 묻히고(물만 묻힘--;)…

• SJHoneywell

★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

I'd like it more if
    It hadn't been built up so
    Much by other folks.

• TJ Duane

★★★ Watched by TJ Duane 11 Jul, 2014

Probably the best three-star rated film I've ever logged on Letterboxd. This film works on every level, as a dime store pulp-style story turned movie. It's exciting, it's thrilling, and it's well acted. It's also pretty typical for the genre, not excelling past it's trappings. It caught the cultural zeitgeist of 1987, making a ton of money and being nominated for 6 Oscars, including Best Picture, but it also faded with time, and not for the reasons that create the…

• Joe Shetina

★★½ Rewatched by Joe Shetina 03 Jul, 2014

Slimy in the way it turns feminist politics back on itself. Close is good, Douglas is good, it's superbly edited, and it's entertaining, but I can't help but feel gross while watching it.

I think the way the script treats Alex and Dan, making her to be an insane feminist type and him to be a nice guy who doesn't deserve any of this, does them both a disservice and makes them both far less interesting than they might have been. What is there is decent enough, especially on the technical side of things.

• Luke Granlund

★★★½ Watched by Luke Granlund 22 Jun, 2014

It's no Anna Karenina, but Tolstoy's fingerprints can still be seen all over this parable about the horrific consequences that can accompany adultery. The performances, script, and editing are all first rate, but Adrian Lyne's film hits its highest mark in crafting edge of your seat tension that slowly builds to a breaking point. The conclusion remains altogether too overtly Hollywood, the sexual content nearly seems to glorify the affair, and Michael Douglas' character seems to lack much of an arch, but when the film has the gall to confront the effects of infidelity head on by all those involved, it shines.

Grade: B

• David Peddicord

★★★★ Added by David Peddicord

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.