• WateringCanBro

★★½ Added by WateringCanBro

"Mama always said, life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you're getting." (Forrest Gump)

I have already alluded in another review to the fact that this movie is a story of its own for me.
    The story is, in the late 90s, my naive teenage self loved that movie religiously and would have rated it 5 out of 5 stars.
    Emotionally, I'm afraid I could still be manipulated into liking it and crying my eyes out…

• Ben Ace

★★★★★ Added by Ben Ace

This movie is a masterpiece.

• Mohamed Radwan

★★★ Added by Mohamed Radwan

Such an overrated, ridiculous film that does not only feature one of the most overrated performances of all time, but it's also a film that tries to be funny and emotional which makes it nonsensical, and laughable.

• acidpolice

★★ Added by acidpolice 1

LITERALLY MEIN KAMPF!!!

Nah, it's just another hallmark greeting card 90s drama.

It's not like there's no truth to the message people got out of it. "Questioning the status quo" as a philosophy in itself is just the inverted version conforming to your system, thus it's just as conformist. Hence counterculture having been commodified and reduced to edgy t-shirts and piercings in the past few decades, and the hypocrisy of the new dominant paradigm that's all about instant gratification and…

• Dave Sloboda

★★★★★ Added by Dave Sloboda

Is it sappy? Definitely. But I'll be damned if I don't love this movie. It's also one of those movies that never fails to get the peepers all misty.

• GiddyNGleeful

★★★½ Added by GiddyNGleeful

I don't particularly get all the hype for this film, but I liked the story, and I applaud the filmmakers' effort at poorly Photoshopping Tom Hanks into various historical events.

• Chetan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chetan 27 Jun, 2014

I haven't seen this film for around 15 years. But wow, I'm glad I watched it again now, because I truly felt I appreciated it more now. Sure, I liked it before, but now I know how wonderful it really is.

Such a beautifully constructed film. Direction, acting, score, effects, story...it all comes together to give the audience an epic and just god damn lovely movie.

It hits the heart strings plenty of times, provides plenty of laughs, and educates you along the way.

Everybody must watch this movie. Can't believe it is 20 years old. A timeless classic though.

• wfox

★★ Rewatched by wfox 20 Jun, 2014

I saw this film a long time ago and couldn't remember if I liked it or not.

I recently read a book that was touted as the "Swedish Forrest Gump" but the book was WAY better than this movie. It encompassed all of 20th-century history and not just the Vietnam War. It was way more interesting and after reading that book, this movie was bland.

I like Vietnam stories... but I didn't like this one.

• Fesapo

★★★★½ Added by Fesapo

91/100

• Jordan Mackay

★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan Mackay 14 Jun, 2014

Yes, it's kind of overrated. No, it probably didn't deserve its Best Picture or Actor Oscars. But god damnit, this latest re-watch really won me over.

Finally being able to look past the influence its reputation as a "cinematic masterpiece" (which it isn't), I was able to enjoy the film for what it is. And what it is is a very entertaining way to spend the best part of 3 hours.

First of all, and perhaps most importantly, the soundtrack…

• Nazeer Vawda

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nazeer Vawda 14 Jun, 2014

Gary Sinse deserved the oscar

• noveltyhat

★★★★★ Rewatched by noveltyhat 14 Jun, 2014 3

i didn't mean to watch the whole thing, but it's so goddamn good.

i remember seeing this with my parents in '94 and not being able to believe my ears when they said they didn't think it was that great after the credits rolled. i couldn't grasp the idea of this not being the best movie ever. i worry that modern me would be dismissive about the completely earned and sincere innocence of this movie. maybe movies don't affect me…