• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 02 May, 2010

A solid family movie. I seem to remember quite liking it as a kid.

• KMOKLER

★★½ Added by KMOKLER 2

Whales, water, I could fall asleep to this.

• movieboyer long

★★★½ Added by movieboyer long

When maladjusted orphan Jesse (Jason James Richter) vandalizes a theme park, he is placed with foster parents and must work at the park to make amends. There he meets Willy, a young Orca whale who has been separated from his family. Sensing kinship, they form a bond and, with the help of kindly whale trainer Rae Lindley (Lori Petty), develop a routine of tricks. However, greedy park owner Dial (Michael Ironside) soon catches wind of the duo and makes plans to profit from them.

Definitely a movie for the family, with good actors just like the scenery.

• dccjghfjhg

Watched by dccjghfjhg 10 Aug, 2015

sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf

• Matthew H

★★★★ Watched by Matthew H 02 Jul, 2015

When I was a kid Free Willy was one of two VHS tapes I owned. The other was Batman. Watching Free Willy tonight I realized even though I owned the movie I must not have watched it much as I remembered nothing about it.

The movie takes place in an unnamed Washington town (at least I never caught the name) that was clearly the same town the Goonies was filmed. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this…

• Warriors

★★½ Added by Warriors

apart from the orca the plot was predictable and the actors were not OK! i didn't like it so much!

• jadecanard

★★½ Added by jadecanard

The film is worth seeing once but every time I think of it, I think of poor Keiko, the Orca in the film: note his floppy dorsal fin. At least the film drew attention to the situation of marine creatures kept in these sort of conditions. To the film studio's credit, they thereafter attempted to improve Keiko's situation.

• Derick Armijo

★★★ Watched by Derick Armijo 29 Mar, 2015

Probably a better argument for what BLACKFISH was talking about than what BLACKFISH was talking about. I'll never know. I'll never see it. You have to be an ET clone for me to take anything seriously. The biggest thing though is it paved the way for me finally seeing the sequel, which was teased for me endless times before BATMAN FOREVER vhs screenings.

• Bryan Strang

★★½ Watched by Bryan Strang 29 Mar, 2015 1

Spoiler alert: do not look at any of this poster. Including the title.

• Ollie

★★★★ Rewatched by Ollie 15 Feb, 2015

Yeah, it's not really 4stars but its one of my earliest cinema memories and I remember waiting for ages for the VHS to come out so...

It still holds up for what it is.

Nice message to.

ps - I always liked the idea that Madsen went from Reservoir Dogs to this. Got his character here pegged as a third Vega brother in witness protection. Or something.

• deadmanramsey

★½ Added by deadmanramsey

28/100

• etc.

★★ Rewatched by etc. 26 Oct, 2014

Part of my The great rewatching of 2014 list.

Ah, yes, the infamous Free Willy. The first film I ever saw in a movie theater. Hadn't seen it since that first time, until now.

This one was probably a mistake to re-watch. I remember enjoying it in the theater. I was very young, the theater was on a boat, the movie was in English and it had both Swedish and Norwegian subtitles. I understood none of these languages, but man…