• Ollie

★★★★ Rewatched by Ollie 15 Feb, 2015

Yeah, it's not really 4stars but its one of my earliest cinema memories and I remember waiting for ages for the VHS to come out so...

It still holds up for what it is.

Nice message to.

ps - I always liked the idea that Madsen went from Reservoir Dogs to this. Got his character here pegged as a third Vega brother in witness protection. Or something.

• deadmanramsey

★½ Added by deadmanramsey

28/100

• etc.

★★ Rewatched by etc. 26 Oct, 2014

Part of my The great rewatching of 2014 list.

Ah, yes, the infamous Free Willy. The first film I ever saw in a movie theater. Hadn't seen it since that first time, until now.

This one was probably a mistake to re-watch. I remember enjoying it in the theater. I was very young, the theater was on a boat, the movie was in English and it had both Swedish and Norwegian subtitles. I understood none of these languages, but man…

• TJ Ponder

★★★ Added by TJ Ponder

One of my favorites growing up! Pretty touching story.

• 'Becca'lise

★★★ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 31 Aug, 2014

Honestly, I just had this on in the background while I edited photos, haha.

• Stef

★★★★ Added by Stef

I haven't seen this movie since the mid-'90s, so I'm letting my inner nine year old rate this one.

• Americanguy

★★★★★ Added by Americanguy

Before Free Willy no one cared about whales or little white kids and their anguish. Afterward it was like whales and little white kids have problems too. :o We wanted to kill Jaws why does Willy get a pass? Okay well Willy was a little cuter and not killing humans for having sex in beach water.

Seriously I love this film, really its the perfect family film. I mean its like someone giving you a Mcdonalds gift coupon book and…

• Demetri Kouvalis

★★ Rewatched by Demetri Kouvalis 01 Jul, 2014

It would've gotten a 5/5 for nostalgia overload alone.

• Jimmy Jones

★★ Added by Jimmy Jones

I'm just glad he finally got free so I didn't have to put up with the annoying cast anymore. But oh, good environmental message. James Cameron should have directed.

• Liara KCrane

★★ Watched by Liara KCrane 25 May, 2014

A good classic that is fairly touching but nothing amazing. Watched to satisfy my curiosity.

• maiuscolo

Watched by maiuscolo 04 Mar, 1994

i film che guardi con i figli

• Beth Jakubowski

★★½ Rewatched by Beth Jakubowski 07 Apr, 2014

At some point, I will watch a decent movie again. Until then, I'll enjoy the regression to my childhood. Despite the impossibility of THAT jump, (yes I did just do the Daily Mail-esque capitalisation of that, I'm so very sorry) Free Willy is cuddly family fun. Well, actually, not sure the kids will understand the environmental message or the deep emotional family trauma. And I'm not really sure adults enjoy the cutesy harmonica playing or the giant orca.

Eh, it's got a target audience somewhere, I can't be bothered to figure it out.