• Alyssa

Rewatched by Alyssa 27 Nov, 2015

The music makes me really nostalgic and emotional <3

• ppferrar

★★★★★ Rewatched by ppferrar 13 Nov, 2015

Oh memories. Its been so long simce i last watched it. Super cute..

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★½ Rewatched by Nathan Sizemore 18 Oct, 2015

Big nostalgia watch for me with my kids. This is the first time I've seen it in its full 2.35 aspect ratio and not on a cropped VHS copy. Free Willy is a half-decent film at times which nicely delineates its themes. Willy and Jesse are both orphaned boys, etc. Ultimately it's a little too melodramatic, but still probably the best movie about a boy and his orca there is out there.

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 02 May, 2010

A solid family movie. I seem to remember quite liking it as a kid.

★★½ Added by KMOKLER 2

Whales, water, I could fall asleep to this.

• movieboyer long

★★★½ Added by movieboyer long

When maladjusted orphan Jesse (Jason James Richter) vandalizes a theme park, he is placed with foster parents and must work at the park to make amends. There he meets Willy, a young Orca whale who has been separated from his family. Sensing kinship, they form a bond and, with the help of kindly whale trainer Rae Lindley (Lori Petty), develop a routine of tricks. However, greedy park owner Dial (Michael Ironside) soon catches wind of the duo and makes plans to profit from them.

Definitely a movie for the family, with good actors just like the scenery.

• dccjghfjhg

Watched by dccjghfjhg 10 Aug, 2015

• Matthew H

★★★★ Watched by Matthew H 02 Jul, 2015

When I was a kid Free Willy was one of two VHS tapes I owned. The other was Batman. Watching Free Willy tonight I realized even though I owned the movie I must not have watched it much as I remembered nothing about it.

The movie takes place in an unnamed Washington town (at least I never caught the name) that was clearly the same town the Goonies was filmed. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this…

• Warriors

★★½ Added by Warriors 1

apart from the orca the plot was predictable and the actors were not OK! i didn't like it so much!

• jadecanard

★★½ Added by jadecanard

The film is worth seeing once but every time I think of it, I think of poor Keiko, the Orca in the film: note his floppy dorsal fin. At least the film drew attention to the situation of marine creatures kept in these sort of conditions. To the film studio's credit, they thereafter attempted to improve Keiko's situation.

• Derick Armijo

★★★ Watched by Derick Armijo 29 Mar, 2015

Probably a better argument for what BLACKFISH was talking about than what BLACKFISH was talking about. I'll never know. I'll never see it. You have to be an ET clone for me to take anything seriously. The biggest thing though is it paved the way for me finally seeing the sequel, which was teased for me endless times before BATMAN FOREVER vhs screenings.

• Bryan Strang

★★½ Watched by Bryan Strang 29 Mar, 2015 1

Spoiler alert: do not look at any of this poster. Including the title.