• Cropsy

★★½ Rewatched by Cropsy 04 Feb, 2016

It's sad that when I see Michael Madsen's face, the first movie I think of is Free Willy. It DID come out when I was five so I suppose that has something to do with it. I haven't seen it in around twenty years so I figured, what the hell? Did it hold up? Fuck no, but it was fun going back.

• Michael Johnson

★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Johnson 31 Jan, 2016

Blackwood

• Marianna Mr

Watched by Marianna Mr 21 Jan, 2016

Recuerdo que la vi en los cines incendiados de "Plaza dorada"

• PsychoSavager

★½ Added by PsychoSavager

Even as a kid with a passion for animals I found this mostly boring.

• Alyssa

Rewatched by Alyssa 27 Nov, 2015

The music makes me really nostalgic and emotional <3

• ppferrar

★★★★★ Rewatched by ppferrar 13 Nov, 2015

Oh memories. Its been so long simce i last watched it. Super cute..

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★½ Rewatched by Nathan Sizemore 18 Oct, 2015

68/100

Big nostalgia watch for me with my kids. This is the first time I've seen it in its full 2.35 aspect ratio and not on a cropped VHS copy. Free Willy is a half-decent film at times which nicely delineates its themes. Willy and Jesse are both orphaned boys, etc. Ultimately it's a little too melodramatic, but still probably the best movie about a boy and his orca there is out there.

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 02 May, 2010

A solid family movie. I seem to remember quite liking it as a kid.

• KMOKLER

★★½ Added by KMOKLER 2

Whales, water, I could fall asleep to this.

• movieboyer long

★★★½ Added by movieboyer long

When maladjusted orphan Jesse (Jason James Richter) vandalizes a theme park, he is placed with foster parents and must work at the park to make amends. There he meets Willy, a young Orca whale who has been separated from his family. Sensing kinship, they form a bond and, with the help of kindly whale trainer Rae Lindley (Lori Petty), develop a routine of tricks. However, greedy park owner Dial (Michael Ironside) soon catches wind of the duo and makes plans to profit from them.

Definitely a movie for the family, with good actors just like the scenery.

• dccjghfjhg

Watched by dccjghfjhg 10 Aug, 2015

sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf

• Matthew H

★★★★ Watched by Matthew H 02 Jul, 2015

When I was a kid Free Willy was one of two VHS tapes I owned. The other was Batman. Watching Free Willy tonight I realized even though I owned the movie I must not have watched it much as I remembered nothing about it.

The movie takes place in an unnamed Washington town (at least I never caught the name) that was clearly the same town the Goonies was filmed. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this…