• Jude Seymour

★★★★ Added by Jude Seymour

The first thing you notice about Salma Hayek in “Frida” is that she’s not her usual “dazzling beauty” self. She’s sporting a unibrow and her face looks pulled in; she is perhaps even a tad overweight. Hayek has immersed herself totally in Frida Kahlo, and the sacrifice is appreciated. Not only does it make the film better, but it makes her performance noteworthy. Not since “Pollock” has an actor taken a role so seriously, and helped us get lost in…

• Marília Passos

★★★★ Watched by Marília Passos 15 Jul, 2014

Great.

• Janina Himmen

★★★½ Watched by Janina Himmen 26 Jun, 2014

Von den gefühlten Hunderttausend Künstlern, die wir während meines Studiums besprochen haben, ist mir Frida Kahlo mit am besten in Erinnerung geblieben. Zum einen mag ich ihre eigenwilligen, sehr persönlichen Bilder, zum anderen ist ihr Leben interessant. So interessant, dass es selbstverständlich verfilmt wurde.

"Frida" ist ein gelungenes Biopic. Soweit ich das beurteilen kann, wird sich an die Fakten gehalten, Salma Hayek spielt die Rolle dieser starken Frau sehr überzeugend und vor allem hat mir gefallen, wie die Gemälde eingebunden…

• Joshua Schirmer

½ Rewatched by Joshua Schirmer 18 Jun, 2014

Crafted from the Biopic-by-Numbers playbook, Frida is an ugly film about ugly people doing ugly things all in the name of winning Oscar gold. The film dilutes the life of a master artist to a simple cause-and-effect game of connect-the-dots, and its few attempts at replicating its subject's signature voice and bravery (certain shots are staged as Frida Kahlo paintings come to life) only seem flat and calculated. For a document of such a revolutionary life, there is nothing revolutionary here. Hell, there's not even anything *good.*

• Alberto Farina

★★★ Watched by Alberto Farina 19 May, 2014

The short, not too happy life of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo. Flamboyant, visually bold biopic is not always as emotionally strong as its subject matter should grant but still offers convincing performances by virtually all its cast members.

• Malick Kaufman

★★★ Watched by Malick Kaufman 08 May, 2014

Film 7 of Kaufman's United Nations - Mexico

What we have here, in this biopic of famed artist, Frida Kahlo, is an interesting beast. It is in some ways, totally unconventional, but in others, equally predictable.

From the very beginning, Frida seeks to explode off the screen, we see director Taymor using every dynamic and visually striking trick in the book, making this a wild experience. The colours and framing are painting-like, surrealist at times. While this boldness and inventiveness…

• Elias Elias

★★★★★ Added by Elias Elias

Beautiful movie.

• Brent Paton

★★★ Added by Brent Paton

I saw this in the theater. Interesting story and good performances. Memorable art.

• Doreen

★★★★½ Rewatched by Doreen 09 Mar, 2014

Liebe! Toller Film über eine der Besten und Stärksten. Bin ein großer Fan von ihr. Kann ich mir immer wieder ansehen und immer wieder muss ich etwas weinen.

• Crawlspace Dweller Matt

★★½ Watched by Crawlspace Dweller Matt 09 Mar, 2014

Years ago I randomly found some images of Frida Kahlo online and sent them around my friends. We constantly made fun of her because of her weird drawings and look (especially the monobrow and hairstyling). I practically didn't know anything about her but when I found out there was a feature film picturing her life I knew I had to watch it.

It's a decent film about a troubling relationship between artists. It's pretty solid and definitely had its moments.
    I thought they implemented Kahlos drawing very, very good and (Hayeks tits were nice to look at).

• kylegarvey

★★★½ Added by kylegarvey

Salma Hayek charms her way beyond a unibrow-artiste-bitch caricature and toward a frank and interesting dissection of Frida Kahlo's psychosexual life. Her acting work, though, doesn't seem to match the production around her: Julie Taymor imbues the middlebrow script with a few inventive flourishes, but the result doesn't seem to rise above a standard, run-of-the mill biopic... a movie unfit for its subject, unfortunately.

• Tom Morton

★★★★ Watched by Tom Morton 15 Feb, 2014

A vivid tale of a short but fascinating life. The cast is great, and the visual style is striking and surprising - the animated / recreated artworks are especially beautiful. I knew very little about Frida Kahlo before watching, but her story kept me interested throughout.