• Bill Shannon

★★★½ Added by Bill Shannon

Frida is a well-done film from a technical perspective. When it's good, it's quite compelling. For fore very stirring scene or event, there is a cliche or a stilted piece of dialogue to pull it back to Mediocrity-ville.

Hayek is not my favorite actress, although I have no problem watching her on screen for 90 minutes. She is quite competent here, although not at all Oscar-nom worthy, as the strong-willed Mexican artist who is crippled early in life, and spends…

• Marcelo Morgade

★★★½ Watched by Marcelo Morgade 07 Aug, 2014

Biografia interessante com belas inserções visuais. O que mais irrita é um filme desse ser rodado em inglês (com sotaque pra piorar). Tudo isso porque americanos não conseguem ler uma zorra de uma legenda ...

• Jude Seymour

★★★★ Watched by Jude Seymour 11 Jan, 2003

The first thing you notice about Salma Hayek in “Frida” is that she’s not her usual “dazzling beauty” self. She’s sporting a unibrow and her face looks pulled in; she is perhaps even a tad overweight. Hayek has immersed herself totally in Frida Kahlo, and the sacrifice is appreciated. Not only does it make the film better, but it makes her performance noteworthy. Not since “Pollock” has an actor taken a role so seriously, and helped us get lost in…

• Marília Passos

★★★★ Watched by Marília Passos 15 Jul, 2014

Great.

• Janina Himmen

★★★½ Watched by Janina Himmen 26 Jun, 2014

Von den gefühlten Hunderttausend Künstlern, die wir während meines Studiums besprochen haben, ist mir Frida Kahlo mit am besten in Erinnerung geblieben. Zum einen mag ich ihre eigenwilligen, sehr persönlichen Bilder, zum anderen ist ihr Leben interessant. So interessant, dass es selbstverständlich verfilmt wurde.

"Frida" ist ein gelungenes Biopic. Soweit ich das beurteilen kann, wird sich an die Fakten gehalten, Salma Hayek spielt die Rolle dieser starken Frau sehr überzeugend und vor allem hat mir gefallen, wie die Gemälde eingebunden…

• Joshua Schirmer

½ Rewatched by Joshua Schirmer 18 Jun, 2014

Crafted from the Biopic-by-Numbers playbook, Frida is an ugly film about ugly people doing ugly things all in the name of winning Oscar gold. The film dilutes the life of a master artist to a simple cause-and-effect game of connect-the-dots, and its few attempts at replicating its subject's signature voice and bravery (certain shots are staged as Frida Kahlo paintings come to life) only seem flat and calculated. For a document of such a revolutionary life, there is nothing revolutionary here. Hell, there's not even anything *good.*

• Alberto Farina

★★★ Watched by Alberto Farina 19 May, 2014

The short, not too happy life of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo. Flamboyant, visually bold biopic is not always as emotionally strong as its subject matter should grant but still offers convincing performances by virtually all its cast members.

• Malick Kaufman

★★★ Watched by Malick Kaufman 08 May, 2014

Film 7 of Kaufman's United Nations - Mexico

What we have here, in this biopic of famed artist, Frida Kahlo, is an interesting beast. It is in some ways, totally unconventional, but in others, equally predictable.

From the very beginning, Frida seeks to explode off the screen, we see director Taymor using every dynamic and visually striking trick in the book, making this a wild experience. The colours and framing are painting-like, surrealist at times. While this boldness and inventiveness…

• Elias Elias

★★★★★ Added by Elias Elias

Beautiful movie.

• Brent Paton

★★★ Added by Brent Paton

I saw this in the theater. Interesting story and good performances. Memorable art.

• Doreen

★★★★½ Rewatched by Doreen 09 Mar, 2014

Liebe! Toller Film über eine der Besten und Stärksten. Bin ein großer Fan von ihr. Kann ich mir immer wieder ansehen und immer wieder muss ich etwas weinen.

• Crawlspace Dweller Matt

★★½ Watched by Crawlspace Dweller Matt 09 Mar, 2014

Years ago I randomly found some images of Frida Kahlo online and sent them around my friends. We constantly made fun of her because of her weird drawings and look (especially the monobrow and hairstyling). I practically didn't know anything about her but when I found out there was a feature film picturing her life I knew I had to watch it.

It's a decent film about a troubling relationship between artists. It's pretty solid and definitely had its moments.
    I thought they implemented Kahlos drawing very, very good and (Hayeks tits were nice to look at).