• Todd Holmes

★★ Watched by Todd Holmes 22 May, 2015

Julie Taymor's stylized animations are the best part, but otherwise Selma Hayek's portrayal of one of the most fascinating famous women of the 20th century is boring and completely uninspired. Also, in English? Really?

• Eli H

★★★½ Watched by Eli H 20 May, 2015

Seen in Mexico City.

I was just thinking about what makes an artist an artist.

Today, while watching this movie, my mother sent me a link to an obituary of the pastor who let us stay in his parsonage from when I was in kindergarden until about fourth grade. So much of my personality, curiosity, and memories come from that place. If it wasn't for him, I would have never gone to the schools I went to and learned so…

• Richard Goddard

★★★ Watched by Richard Goddard 13 May, 2015

I adored the incorporation of Frida's art into this movie, especially the transitions and the surrealist animated scenes that symbolised key moments in her life which were lifted straight from imagery she had created during her life. Aside from these incredible moments the movie is a pretty paint by numbers biopic, but with a stunning lead performance from Salma Hayek and a very good from Alfred Molina.

• neglify19

★★★★ Watched by neglify19 04 May, 2015

Film #8 of the "Cinco de Mayo Challenge"
    letterboxd.com/neglify19/list/cinco-de-mayo-challenge/

Sin lugar a dudas, el más grande de la película de Salma Hayek. ¡Y maldita esas tetas!

• emily

★★★★ Watched by emily 09 Apr, 2015

Can't decide if I'm in love with the film or the woman... I'll have to see it again.

• Brittany Rivera

★★★ Watched by Brittany Rivera 31 Mar, 2015

For some reason this film made me wish Julie Taymor directed The Great Gatsby, even if I do love Baz.

• Foggy Pebble

★★½ Watched by Foggy Pebble 26 Mar, 2015

I hope that if I ever were to become a famous artist and radical political activist and I happen to also have a relationship with someone at some point, the person that writes my biopic doesn't center the entire damn story around that relationship.

• irene

★★★½ Watched by irene 26 Mar, 2015

I thought this movie was really good and I liked it a lot, but I feel like it was focusing on Frida Kahlo as someone mainly defined by her relationship with Diego Rivera and her physical pain. I mean she seems like a strong, passionate woman, but it's a little disappointing it was more about her suffering and pretty much left out all of her political ideas and her as a political activist in general.

• Sarah

★★★★ Added by Sarah

I knew next to nil about Frida Kahlo's life, and this film really brought her to life for me. What an interesting character. (Among other things, she pulled Trotsky and Josephine Baker; if that isn't badass I don't know what is).

Salma Hayek was fantastic, made me forget she was acting. The storyline could have been stronger, but I was still very much engaged throughout the film. This may be a testament to the excellent performances of all the actors.…

• Cass Nicholas

★★★★½ Rewatched by Cass Nicholas 26 Feb, 2015

Had to rewatch it to help write my essay. I loved this even more the second time.

• A.C. Neel

★★★★ Watched by A.C. Neel 23 Feb, 2015

Captivating look at the pain and joy of the life of artist Frida Kahlo. The surrealist elements of the film beautifully capture the spirit of the artist's work. Great performances and wonderfully shot.

• Scott Kaczynski

★★★★ Watched by Scott Kaczynski 21 Feb, 2015

I've been wanting to see this film for awhile, and I was excited to see that it was streaming on Netflix. A lot of times, accessibility determines what is being watched in my house.

I was glad to see that my anticipation was not undeserved. Frida tells the story of famous modern artist Frida Kahlo. I have always been a fan of her art, but never knew much about her life. Like most successful people, life was not easy for…