• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

This is wonderful anti-war film directed by Stanley Kubrick, with such a marvelous story to be entertained with. Loved the cinematography and art-direction!

• Parker

★★★★★ Rewatched by Parker 22 Jan, 2015 2

The fact that this movie was filmed in England makes it so weird and unnatural and dream-like. It's set in Vietnam, a tropical place. But the movie has no sunlight in it, just gray English skies. The palm trees are all obviously dead from being shipped in and they're all generally evenly and symmetrically placed around battlefields in this bizarre fake way.

Anyway, the first half of the the movie is infinitely better than the second half, but otherwise this movie is pretty flawless.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 17 Jan, 2015

13: A Kubrick Odyssey
    ____________________

When a film is so blatantly racist, homophobic, sexist, and so forth, I tend to not enjoy it no matter how much of a "classic" it is in the film world. I was cringing through-out most of Full Metal Jacket, and it's a shame because this film is incredible and downright brilliant.

But I could have done without the constant references towards John Wayne and how every man in the film idolized him as the…

• brryanda

★★★★½ Added by brryanda

Esa imagen donde Kubrick aparece llevando el casco del cartel de full metal jacket y se puede leer en su superficie "Born to film". Una joya bélica.

• Joanne Myers

★★★★ Watched by Joanne Myers 21 Jan, 2015

As a general rule, I am not a fan of war films. Today, after hearing so much about it, I decided to watch FMJ.

I'm very surprised how much I enjoyed it. I didn't feel like I was watching a film about the war. I felt that this was more about the characters and the relationships between them, than the actual war.

I loved the character of Private Pile. He was brilliant. Private Joker annoyed the heck out of me.

The film had a fair few funny one liners in it, so it had me giggling as well as appreciating the seriousness of the subject.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★ Rewatched by Adrian Zachow 21 Jan, 2015

War is absurd. War is contradictory. It makes its soldiers mad. Stanley Kubrick's cold, dispassionate portrayal of Vietnam seems to follow this mantra and effectively gets those points across, even if it lacks any clear cut narrative focus. It turns out it doesn't need one. The film follows a marine recruit (Matthew Modine), dubbed Joker by his hard as nails trainer (Lee Ermey), through harrowing training designed to strip soldiers of thought and feeling, then into Vietnam itself, where assigned…

• Matt Suppes

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Suppes 20 Jan, 2015

Years removed from piecing this one together out of chronological order and it isn't quite what I remembered. It's kind of a jumbled mess but many of the performances and Kubrick's amazing technical skill keep it from being too boring. However, if one were given a desert island scenario with films set in Vietnam, you'd have to imagine Apocalypse Now or maybe Platoon (or perhaps The Deer Hunter, though I have not seen that one) would be more likely chosen…

• zweidreifuenf_1

Rewatched by zweidreifuenf_1 19 Jan, 2015

lange nicht gesehen, schwarz (paint it black) aber nie über die Grenze zur Satire, die Erschießung des Mädchens, jokers erster Kill, wird zur menschlichsten Tat des Films, aber eben nicht nur!, immer vielseitig in der Betrachtung, faszinierend "nüchtern" inszenierter 2ter Teil, der gerade dadurch sehr intensiv ist

• Jason MD-P

★★★★½ Added by Jason MD-P

Unconventional for a Vietnam movie, much less a typical war film, despite it following a fairly conventional war film order of events (training to battle, like Dirty Dozen, e.g.) Troubling and disturbing without being being gory (compared to, say, Platoon or Hamburger Hill). Great characters, great dialogue. Brilliant. Such a shame Modine went on to do nothing as significant or even remotely memorable in his career following the film.

• ctkruckus

★★★½ Watched by ctkruckus 13 Jan, 2015

One of my least favorite Kubrick movies.

• Lindsay Steele

★★★★½ Watched by Lindsay Steele 17 Jan, 2015 1

The first half was brilliant, the 2nd half was still good but wasn't as engaging and felt almost like a different film. Overall a great War film

• calamityhey

★★★ Watched by calamityhey 15 Jan, 2015

I was pretty wary about coming back to this one since I don't believe I've seen it in full since I was in middle school where I'm sure I was a little too on board with R. Lee Ermey's abusive rhetoric. In fact, this movie's reputation has been tarnished for me in the same way that Fight Club's has thanks to a fan base that seems to forget that this is a satire of how the military warps young mens'…