• Moreno Losito

★★★★ Added by Moreno Losito

Topolin

• Brenda

★★★★½ Rewatched by Brenda 22 May, 2015

love films that don't glorify war but paint how the human soul is affected by it.

• Jake Rose

★★★★ Watched by Jake Rose 02 Aug, 2015

Never trust fat people.

• Knicks1993

★★★★★ Rewatched by Knicks1993 02 Aug, 2015

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. That really says it all, doesn't it.

• Josh Barton

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Barton 01 Aug, 2015

I do love a war film. A war film directed by Stanley Kubrick though is a totally different beast altogether.

Full Metal Jacket is an unflinching look into the effects war can have on the mental state of soldiers, from the start of their training at boot camp through to fighting on the front line in Vietnam.

The film features two very different performances from Matthew Modine and Vincent D'Onofrio, each delivering a performance hard to forget in the genre.…

• WillThompson

★★★★½ Rewatched by WillThompson 01 Aug, 2015

Undeniably messy and intermittently frustrating it may be, but Full Metal Jacket remains a work of irreverent genius at its bare bones: biting socio-cinematic commentary, striking imagery and wonderful attention to detail, carried by the sheer bravado of a truly visionary filmmaker.

One thing that becomes apparent on repeated viewing is that the film tackles the conventions of cinema - and more precisely the war genre - just as much as it does the duality of man and the bureaucracy…

• Tim Burnham

★★★★ Watched by Tim Burnham 27 Jul, 2015

The first forty five minutes are about perfect. Kubrick is unparalleled.
    Then we have an abrupt shift into what feels like an entirely different film that starts with an incredibly offensive portrayal of the Vietnamese people.
    The cinematography and precision of the film falters from there.
    Kubrick still stays far above the quality level of any other filmmaker of his time but the film does weaken here.
    The thing I appreciate the most about the film however is its unflinching/scathing…

• THEKYNEDYMAN

★★★½ Watched by THEKYNEDYMAN 26 Jul, 2015

OVERRATED.

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

The movie basically went downhill slowly after the deaths of my then favorite characters of the movie in Sgt. Hartman and Pvt. Pyle. Those two characters were stellar and had the story continued with them alive, my rating and my reaction towards this film would have been totally different. But I guess, that's just how the story goes to which Director Stanley Kubrick couldn't really do anything much after which makes me question why he decided to…

• Sarah

★★★★ Watched by Sarah 24 Jul, 2015

This is one of my father's favorite films. I don't know when I learned this fact about my father and I also don't know why I haven't watched this film until now. It's a good film and I probably would've thought it was even better if I paid a bit more attention to it. I don't know if I want to watch it again anytime soon, but I'm glad that I have at least watched it once now.

(July 2015 watchlist: 17. One of your parents' favorite films)

• Gnske

★★★★ Watched by Gnske 24 Jul, 2015

A variety of juicy performances from Baldwin, Ermey, Modine and D'Onofrio and a suitably satisfying story to boot.

• Jake Williams

★★★½ Added by Jake Williams

Kubrick's war film is extremely overrated in my opinion. While the direction is excellent, the soundtrack is amazing, and some roles are unforgettable, the story in the end doesn't achieve anything. There's no mission, no goal for the characters to reach. It's just like a randomly selected period of a marine's experience. While entertaining, it simply has no point. Ermey's performance is undoubtedly one of the best performances in war film history and for the section of story that he…

• Zaw Mine

★★★★½ Added by Zaw Mine

Dark, disturbing and intense.
    I was not watching movie. In the first 45 minutes of the movie, I was in the recruit training with the soldiers. The performance is astonishing. The insults are damn hysterical. I love them so much.
    Overall, Full Metal Jacket is a well-made war film.