• Lagaan

★★★★½ Watched by Lagaan 27 Mar, 2015

Top 250 #86 in IMDB

A pragmatic U.S. Marine observes the dehumanizing effects the U.S.-Vietnam War has on his fellow recruits from their brutal boot camp training to the bloody street fighting in Hue.

A two-segment look at the effect of the military mindset and war itself on Vietnam era Marines. The first half follows a group of recruits in boot camp under the command of the punishing Gunnery Sergeant Hartman. The second half shows one of those recruits, Joker, covering the war as a correspondent for Stars and Stripes, focusing on the Tet offensive.

One of the best war film.Master piece of Stanley Kubrick.

• Bradley J. Dixon

★★★★½ Rewatched by Bradley J. Dixon 23 Mar, 2015

I found a new appreciation for this film tonight, having not seen it for years. Possibly the greatest and most powerful example of ironic juxtaposition in film history?

• Richard Goddard

★★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Goddard 22 Mar, 2015

Part of 2015: Groundhog Year

Two different types of war movie rolled into one completely perfect package.

• V_Brook

★★★★★ Watched by V_Brook 21 Mar, 2015

So artistically and uniquely created, Full Metal Jacket is a cinematic triumph, and one of the greatest war movies ever.

• Sara

★★★½ Watched by Sara 21 Mar, 2015

The first 45 minutes were perfect. I would have loved if the whole movie would have been just that. The second act was somewhat pointless? I don't know. I didn't enjoy it anyway. It just turned it into a generic war movie. Or maybe I'm missing something?

• Cactus Matt

★★★★½ Added by Cactus Matt

A film of two very separate parts, both excellent in there own ways, while the transition is a little jarring and the acting is only serviceable, the set-pieces are epic, tense and amazingly shot.

• Tom Normandy

★★ Watched by Tom Normandy 17 Mar, 2015

Rating: C-

• Dreception

★★★★ Watched by Dreception 17 Mar, 2015 3

Well call me generic, but i loved the first half, and liked the second half. I........... Actually don't really have much to say on the movie. I love how Kubrick displayed what Vietnam did to people, the false confidence of the war, how incorrectly the war was described/how we actually fought in it, and I LOVED the main character and found him very relatable.

The movie just excellent, just not the MASTERPIECE most people label it.
    And for the record,…

• Arthur Shapiro

½ Added by Arthur Shapiro

THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL THERE ARE NOT EVEN ANY ROBOTS IN IT WHERE ARE THE FUCKING ROBOTS GIVE ME TRANSFORMERS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lilias

★★★★ Rewatched by Lilias 15 Mar, 2015

War is dirty, brutal, and bloody, but it is also really weird, and to have it so institutionalized into our culture is even more bizarre. This movie shows the level of weirdness in the most effective ways. I find this to be a difficult film to watch, and I supposed that is part of the point. I just will never be able to say I enjoyed watching it. Kubrick was a master of emotional manipulation through the senses of sight…

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Rewatched by William Kretschmer 10 Apr, 2012

A pragmatic U.S. Marine observes the dehumanizing effects the Vietnam War has on his fellow Marine recruits from their brutal boot camp training to the bloody street fighting set in 1968 in Hue, Vietnam.
    Oddly split into 2 largely separate stories this is a paradigmatic anti-war movie by one of cinema's major directors.

• PointMan528491

★★★★½ Watched by PointMan528491 09 Mar, 2015 2

One if its "halves" is much more impactful than the other, but as a whole, Full Metal Jacket portrays the horrors of Vietnam in an engaging manner, with Kubrick's signature direction and dark comedy to boot.