• Gonçalo

★★★★½ Watched by Gonçalo 03 Sep, 2015

An essential. The whole recruit section and the final scene are some of the best sequences ever constructed.

• Jake

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jake 31 Aug, 2015

Kubrick's second to last film finds him revisiting the war film with more of a focus on soldiers and the effects of war on their psyches. His first war film, "Paths of Glory" (1957), focused mainly on the incompetence and political maneuvering of commanding officers and the cowardice inherent in the bureaucratic nature of the military hierarchy. "Paths of Glory" is a World War I film and "Full Metal Jacket" makes the Vietnam War it's canvas--a canvas ripe for the…

• John Winters

★★★★½ Rewatched by John Winters 02 Sep, 2015

'Full Metal Jacket' is an interesting film as Kubrick never really made anything else that featured such an incredible change in tone midway through the film. Most, myself included, prefer the first half focusing on boot camp as opposed to the second half war, but that's not to shine a negative light on the latter. The complete film is intense, tight, and comedic at times. While it may not be the most original film Kubrick made, or unique from a war-film perspective, what 'Full Metal Jacket' does better than its contemporaries is effectively communicate its message and themes.

• ComicSolution54

★★★★★ Rewatched by ComicSolution54 01 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Fucking classic. Too many great quotes to quote. One movie I could rewatch a million times and never get tired of it. The scene where Sgt Pyle goes nuts is a sad moment to watch for me. I believe this film is one o the greatest films of all time and possibly my favorite movie.

• mellowigloo

★★½ Added by mellowigloo 1

i wished i had seen this without knowing they shot it in England with shipped-in palm trees and not in Vietnam. Entertaining moments, especially with the drill sergeant and the sadistic helicopter gunner, but nothing that blew my mind.

• PodiatricAce79

★★★★½ Added by PodiatricAce79

As one of the films in Kubrick's late canon, this shows me that good ol' Stan didn't waver or compromise his film-making magic until the end. Unlike Clockwork, Full Metal Jacket beautifully incorporates symbols and sentiments in a certain way that you'd think you could only see in a book. Kubrick tenacious meticulousness comes through in this film more than any other film of his I've seen (except maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey), making him one of the greatest directors…

• mcknife

★★★ Watched by mcknife 29 Aug, 2015

Quite good first part. Drill-instructor is a cool character.
    No other good performances imO.

Second part of the movie is just an ordinary nowhere special vietnam-movie.

• Alan Gootnick

★★★★½ Rewatched by Alan Gootnick 29 Aug, 2015

"Ain't war hell?"

This would be a perfect film if it wasn't for the tedious war correspondent story in the second act. The ambush/sniper situation redeems the movie, and makes it one of Kubrick's best.

"Goodnight ladies."

• Merriweather

★★★★ Added by Merriweather

A boring second act drags it down.

• Falsk

★★★★½ Watched by Falsk 27 Aug, 2015

It's weird that this is a first time watch for me as I felt I knew this movie inside out after having my friend re-enact many of the scenes ad nauseam when were 15 after she had just watched it with her brother.

Nevertheless, I think this is my favorite Kubrick film thus far, whatever that means.

• strangebill

★★★ Watched by strangebill 26 Aug, 2015

This was often funny and occasionally impactful, but I didn't think it flowed very well. Many of the sections of the film felt disjointed, almost like it was missing footage. I felt some shots looked great like you would expect from Kubrick but many others seemed bland and uninteresting.

• Derock17

★★★ Watched by Derock17 22 Aug, 2015

I don't usually like war movies but this one was ok.