• Dylan Powell

★★★★½ Added by Dylan Powell

Fuck anyone that says the first half of this movie is the only part worth watching. Those that think that probably didn't watch that second half carefully enough.

• mdh

★★★★½ Rewatched by mdh 18 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Tom Prankerd

★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 17 Aug, 2014

Kubrick's Vietnam movie starts off very well with the boot camp scenes, nicely fleshing out Pvt Pyle and the acerbic gunnery sergeant Hartman. It then kills them off and the rest of the film degenerates into a series of seen-it-before vignettes fronted by wafer-thin characters. This might be a post-modern comment on how dehumanising war is but it really kills off the interest in the film.

While there's lots of smart dialogue and the performances are good after the only…

• indahsiauw

★★★ Watched by indahsiauw 17 Aug, 2014

even i only give 3 stars, this is a good film. yaaa, i just don't like the genre hahaha

• Geoff Byrom

★★★★ Rewatched by Geoff Byrom 15 Aug, 2014

Still fucking great.

• ExhaustedWalrus

★★★½ Watched by ExhaustedWalrus 07 Aug, 2014

The first half of this film is incredible. However, the second half is somewhat muddled. I do think that the spectacle of the second half is quite impressive. From a technical perspective, the entire movie is amazing, as are most Kubrick films. But a lot of the atmosphere is lost in the second half and it devolves into a pretty generic war film with nothing new to say. That first half, though. Damn.

• MadZack

★★★★★ Added by MadZack

Eyes Wide Shut was not a film about sex. The Shining was not a film about ghosts. Full Metal Jacket was not a film about war.

Themes. There are several obvious themes in Full Metal Jacket, the most blatant one being anti-war. An investigation of disenfranchised young men. And there's always "that Jungian thing", the duality of man, which is heavily represented throughout the piece.

I'm afraid that most people ignore the, let's call it, "duality of man" scene as…

• Adam Redman

★★★★ Rewatched by Adam Redman 08 Aug, 2014

Episodic adventures in Vietnam. The film's tragicomic first half sits uneasily with the stark, harrowing beauty of its second - but what it lacks in poetry it makes up for in raw power.

• Steve Grzesiak

★★★★½ Rewatched by Steve Grzesiak 08 Aug, 2014 10

ONE OR TWO SPOILERS

"You filthy old soomka!" - Steve G Does Kubrick

The other Kubrickian film that had not sat well with me first time round gets a reformed opinion too.

In fairness to myself, I wasn't as dead wrong about Full Metal Jacket as I was about 2001: A Space Odyssey. On this occasion I was only half wrong. Because I was under the mistaken impression that this was half a great film and half a not very…

• Michael Lowe

★★★★½ Added by Michael Lowe

Thank you Mr. Kubrick for making yet another horrifyingly real/funny masterpiece.

• Jude Seymour

Watched by Jude Seymour 08 Mar, 1999

"Full Metal Jacket" was supposed to shake me up about the Vietnam war, I'm sure, but it was just kinda sad. I mean I felt bad for Pyle going nuts (you understand only if you've seen the movie).

• Ruby

★★★★★ Watched by Ruby 07 Aug, 2014

one of those classic movies I've been seeing clips and images and parodies and references from for all my life but only just seeing it so every few minutes I'm like oh so that's why people put that line in dubstep remixes ect, also apparently kubrick said it wasnt anti-war it was just telling it as it is which ironically is better anti-war material than whatever bleeding heart tear jerker movie actually tries to be anti-war