• m8ben

    ★★★★★ Watched by m8ben 21 Sep, 2014

    The 1st half gets a lot of attention but i think the final 20 minutes or so are just as, if not more powerful

    View

  • Ian Loring

    ★★★★ Watched by Ian Loring 16 Sep, 2014

    Sadly tainted by other directors doing the feel of Vietnam more effectively but Matthew Modine is a charismatic guide through the madness and the boot camp section remains visually and aurally striking.

    View

  • SilentDawn

    ★★★★½ Rewatched by SilentDawn 18 Sep, 2014

    Sterile, symmetric, emotionally devastating, poignant, and often hilarious; Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket is an excellent achievement by the master director.

    All of the performances are wonderful, with Matthew Modine, Vincent D'Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey bringing their greatest attributes to the screen. As a result, Kubrick's Vietnam war film is mostly focused on character, and the changes that individuals go through within the ongoing process of war.

    Separated by two distinct yet inseparable parts, the first half discusses the…

    View

  • Éloïse Thompson

    ★★★★★ Watched by Éloïse Thompson 18 Sep, 2014

    This feels like two films. But what makes it incredible is that it's one. So different from Kubrick's usual subject from what I've seen, but still amazing and you still can see his style.
    Perfect.

    View

  • femesmo

    ★★★★★ Watched by femesmo 21 Jul, 2013

    What can I say: is a Kubrick's film

    View

  • Roderick Momin

    ★★★★½ Watched by Roderick Momin 15 Sep, 2014

    It has a bit of everything but it lacks something, something that I cannot put my hand on.

    View

  • QueenMary

    ★★★½ Watched by QueenMary 12 Sep, 2014

    There was some great, great cinematography, & there were some wonderful framing choices. While I found the opening quarter (where the drill sergeant constantly barraged everyone with insults) to be, erm, agonizing (enough already, we're all familiar with the old boot camp cliches!), I did appreciate Kubrick's unique choice to bore his audience half to death before getting into the "actual" film. (And I'm not being sarcastic, for once - I did find it interesting, just boring...much as I find advanced…

    View

  • Rakestraw

    ★★★½ Watched by Rakestraw 12 Sep, 2014 2

    Second time around with Full Metal Jacket and I must say it was an exhausting experience watching Matthew Modine's excruciating performance along with one of the worse uses of voice-over. I'm not sure if the film is influencing Modine or vice versa but the levels of disinterest on display are infectious as it permeates throughout the film, through my screen and into my being, leaving me unengaged and apathetic as I sat before a series of images set to terrible…

    View

  • Victor Volchenko

    ★★★★★ Watched by Victor Volchenko 13 Sep, 2014

    Это второй фильм про Вьетнам, который мне попадается в последнее время. И его режжиссер - тоже гений!

    Эпизоды, в которых у тебя мурашки по коже идут, эпизоды, которые вызывают улыбку, и даже чуть ли не смех, эпизоды где ты просто пропитан каким-то переживанием и даже чувством шока. Всем этим, и не только этим, Стэнли Кубрик отлично манипулирует, чтобы заставить своего зрителя хорошенько задуматься над некоторыми вещами, предложив ему серьезную смысловую нагрузку. В комбинации с отличной режиссурой и великолепной операторской работой,…

    View

  • Windyblue

    ★★★½ Added by Windyblue

    Warning:
    Violence
    Suicide
    Fat shaming
    Homophobic slurs
    Misogynistic slurs
    Ableist slurs
    Ableism
    Physical and psychological abuse
    Racism
    White saviour bullshit
    Racial genocide
    Corpses
    Genocide apologism
    Racist stereotyping
    Racist slurs
    Dehumanization and abuse of sex workers
    Misogyny

    View

  • Thomas Wishloff

    ★★★ Rewatched by Thomas Wishloff 12 Sep, 2014

    Still the exact same thing I said last time. It's 40 minutes of a masterpiece, followed by the rest of a bland aftertaste.

    View

  • Jepperd

    ★★★★½ Added by Jepperd

    SOMETHING FUNNY IN ALL CAPS.

    View