• Michael Sweeting

★★★★ Added by Michael Sweeting

Amazing first half of the film but slows to a halt once they leave boot camp.

• Adam_Zanzie

★★★★ Added by Adam_Zanzie

Although I've seen this several times (it remains very watchable), I have to tiresomely agree with the general consensus that the second half isn't as strong as the first half. Once Vincent D'Onfrio and R. Lee Ermey are out of the picture, there isn't really anybody to hold our focus. Matthew Modine is not a very interesting actor and was never meant to carry a movie in my opinion; Arliss Howard and Adam Baldwin are more effective in the second…

• wakeupjyoo

★★★ Watched by wakeupjyoo 19 Jun, 2004

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

두 개의 이야기속에 두 죽음이 있다.

1. 해병대 훈련캠프.
    8주동안의 훈련끝에 사람좋게 웃던 얼굴의 '그'는 광기어린 살인마로 변했다.
    그의 첫번째 사냥감은 자기를 그렇게 만든이. 두번째는 자기 가신.
    40분 정도를 차지하는 이 첫 얘기가 사실 뒷 얘기보다 훨씬 강력한 반전 사상을 말하고 있다.
    언어로, 신체적으로 혹사당하는 영혼이 어떻게 괴물로 변하는지...
    뻐꾸기 둥지위로 날아간 새 이후 나를 한동안 괴롭게 한 영화

2. 베트남
    같은 훈련동기 조커.
    신문기자로 발령난 그가 이룬 '업적' - 이미 총맞고 쓰러진 여자 스나이퍼 (어린 이)를 확인 사살.
    그가 동정심에서 죽였는지, 월남에서 기념할 만한 '사건'을 만들기 위해 죽였는지는 불분명하다. 한가지 확실한 것은,,, 사람을 죽였다. 의지를 가지고.

조금 뒷북을 친것같은 베트남전 영화이지만 첫 파트만으로도 멋진 영화.

• PTA

★★★★★ Rewatched by PTA 03 Oct, 2015

I have seen this film many times throughout the years and finally I see what a true masterpiece it is

• Alina

★★★★★ Watched by Alina 17 Sep, 2015

A classic. Not much to say here, really, except that yup it's excellent. I should watch more Kubrick!

• Brandon

★★★★½ Rewatched by Brandon 30 Sep, 2015

What's kind of sad is that for how good this movie is, it's my 3rd favorite Kubrick movie. And I love this movie. That can tell you how good he is as a director.

The first third of this movie is some of the best stuff ever put on screen, due to Lee Ermey's performance as the drill sergeant. Great dark humor, and a great theme about the purposeless thing we call war.

• Voina

★★★½ Added by Voina

A movie that will forever be remembered for its amazing opening scene, as a group of fresh recruits are introduced to boot camp. The first half of the film about boot camp is flawless, but the second half is average at best. The movie is still one not to be missed.

• Alexis Romero

★★★★ Watched by Alexis Romero 28 Sep, 2015

• Carson Hearne

★★★★½ Added by Carson Hearne

One of my favorite war movies of all time. This is also my second favorite Stanley Kubrick movie. Second to A Clockwork Orange. I love this movie, the drill sergeant in this does an outstanding job in this. A lot of people love only the first half of this movie. But for me, the more I watch it, the more I love all of the movie. It's just a masterpiece and an amazing movie.

• Paolo Carone

★★★★★ Added by Paolo Carone

Has this been recognized as one of the great existential horror films yet? I'm that asshole who finds this genuinely scarier than The Shining.

Violence is power, and power is an illusion, but violence is a powerful illusion.

• PsychoSavager

★★½ Added by PsychoSavager

Not a big war movie fan and this didn't do much to sway me. A few enjoyable moments in the first half are undone by the..... frankly unremarkable second half.

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Rewatched by William Kretschmer 10 Nov, 2013

A pragmatic U.S. Marine observes the dehumanizing effects the Vietnam War has on his fellow Marine recruits from their brutal boot camp training to the bloody street fighting set in 1968 in Hue, Vietnam.
    Oddly split into 2 largely separate stories this is a paradigmatic anti-war movie by one of cinema's major directors.

Viewed anew I still stay with my original opinion.