• Jonah Belsky

★★★★★ Added by Jonah Belsky

Holy shit.

This movie blew me away and defied my already high expectations. No it didn't just defy them, it fucking obliterated them. This is one of the greatest films ever made and the best I have ever seen. Honesty, me just writing about this film is a disservice to it.

• Ollie_8

★★★★½ Added by Ollie_8

• Ned Gilmore

★★★★ Watched by Ned Gilmore 29 Nov, 2015

Princess Bride for bros, as far as the memeability of the script goes. Nicely WTF and borderline disrespectful to the U.S Marines and the entire Vietnam war effort.

• Jennifer Ross

★★★ Rewatched by Jennifer Ross 28 Nov, 2015

Am happy that i finally got to see this! Poor Leonard:( and now i know where "me so horny" originates from.
    It was a humerous yet devastating look at the effects that war can have on people. Kubrick is able to create films with such varying genres but does it extremely well. I would love to share a meal with him sometime

• parkthesedaze

★★★★★ Added by parkthesedaze

Kubrick outdid himself in '87 with this hilarious yet brutally real war classic. A must watch on anyone's list.

• Matt Jarvis

★★★★★ Added by Matt Jarvis

It has problems, but FMJ remains an excellent portrayal of the effect of war on the human psyche.

• EnteredTheVoid

★★★★½ Rewatched by EnteredTheVoid 19 Nov, 2015

Even Kubrick's ugly films (that's ugly in theme) are so beautifully framed and filmed that it's hard not to be in awe of it's immaculate composition. Harrowing scenes, a fantastic soundtrack, brilliant dialogue, very good performances from all involved. Wonderfully written and directed. For me only a handful of war films are better than this.

• Spencer Serra

★★★★ Rewatched by Spencer Serra 19 Nov, 2015

By now, we've seen this movie's moral message told half a dozen times in half a dozen movies: Platoon, Apocalypse Now, We Were Soldiers, The Bridge on the River Kwai -- all of those.

But while this movie is lacking a bit in terms of originality, it's still a very well-made film. It's a much grittier Kubrick than I'm accustomed to.

• Ryan Swen

★★★★ Watched by Ryan Swen 18 Nov, 2015 1

In some ways, this is the most enigmatic of Kubrick's films. It has clearly stayed in the public consciousness, due to the absolutely incendiary and rightly praised performance of R. Lee Ermey and his character, yet it is not really praised as much as his other publicly enduring works (2001 and The Shining, maybe Dr. Strangelove as well). Most people seem to think that, if Kubrick had just stuck to the Parris Island sequence, it would have been one of…

• Derenzo

★★★★★ Added by Derenzo

My favorite Vietnam film? Maybe, I'd have to think about em all.

• Paul Reese

★★★★ Added by Paul Reese

What creates the monster in the man? Is it a man's instinct to be hungry for violence, or is it manufactured by how the man is raised to perceive the world around them? Stanley Kubrick’s "Full Metal Jacket" seems to be fascinated by these questions; the first act of his somewhat unrealistic Vietnam war picture raising them. When things start to become more fantasy-based (sequences of terrible continuity on both technical and narrative terms), Kubrick's darker layers come through and…

• Koen Romers