• Tyler Foster

★★★★ Watched by Tyler Foster 07 Sep, 2015

I think this is my first Barbara Streisand film. I mean, I saw her in Meet the Fockers, but that's not a real movie.

• Bryan Strang

★★★★ Watched by Bryan Strang 16 Nov, 2015

Pre-Intermission: 5 stars, greatest musical of all time

Post-Intermission: barely above average Lifetime movie

This must be the one time a tie with Katherine Hepburn for Best Actress would seem like a miscarriage of justice.

• Jasmine

★★★★½ Watched by Jasmine 10 Nov, 2015 3

i stan so hard! babs and omar had great chemistry! i'm still crying!

• Isaac Lee

★★★★ Watched by Isaac Lee 02 Nov, 2015

A film adaption of a successful stage musical loosely based on the inspiring life of Fanny Brice (1891-1951), a popular vaudeville performer belongs to a bygone era, one of girls of Zeigfeld Follies, and her tempestuous marriage with Nick Arnstein (Sharif), a notorious gambler and debonair con artist.

Barbra Streisand reprises her role on the big screen as her tailor-made debut and star-making vehicle, helmed by Wyler as the sole musical in his illustrious filmography and the penultimate feature of…

• ramblingdaniel

★★★½ Watched by ramblingdaniel 25 Oct, 2015

Barbra Streisand lifts the film with an outstanding performance, even when the big musical numbers fade away in the second act.

• solidcurrency

★★★ Added by solidcurrency

Barbra Streisand has amazing hair and costumes in this film. The funny bits are funny and I love "Don't Rain on my Parade."

• micah1984

★★★ Watched by micah1984 02 Oct, 2015 1

Barbara Streisand shows that she can sing, act, and make people laugh. As far as I can tell this is her big shout out to all the "haters", showing them that her big nose is not near as big as her confidence. But while her character is funny and entertaining, the rest of the movie does little to help her in her mission.

The opening sequence, when she walks into the theater alone, is a thing of dramatic beauty.

• Hazey Jane

★★★½ Watched by Hazey Jane 27 Sep, 2015

Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16
    Week 4: 60s Blockbuster Week

I enjoyed this movie. Babs was adorable and funny and...Well, commenting on her amazing voice just goes without saying because hey, it's Barbara Streisand. I could see a lot of Fanny Brice coming through in her performance, but she also put a unique spin onto it making it her own, unique role.

While I liked this movie, I do think it dragged out. I don't think it really needed to be…

• Nigel

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nigel 23 Sep, 2015

I'm not really a musical buff and I don't usually watch musicals, but when it comes down to it, Funny Girl is my #1 favorite (along with A Star is Born, they're tied in my book).

Every time I watch this film, I always remember why I love it.I love Barbra Streisand so much in this film. She played entertainer Fanny Brice wonderfully and Omar Sharif also played gambler Nicky Arnstein well too. Every song in the film is also memorable (no, I don't get emotional at the very end of the movie when she sings "My Man" and no, I do not belt along either).

• kurt k

★★★★ Watched by kurt k 13 Jan, 2012

me: [horribly belts out 'my man' whilst crying]

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 09 Apr, 2013

If ever a role was a perfect fit for an actor, this would be one of the top ones. Barbra Streisand is beyond perfect in this comical and melodramatic role. This was her first movie and it would win her the Academy Award and make her a household name.

This remains her finest role. It is difficult to imagine anyone not enjoying this movie. It just works. It is completely entertaining from beginning to end. There is genuine chemistry between…

• Matt Taylor

★★★½ Watched by Matt Taylor 27 Jul, 2015

Prior to watching Funny Girl, Barbra Streisand was, in my eyes, nothing more than a talented singer whose target audience was middle aged housewives. But, after watching Funny Girl, she's become a really terrific leading actress with a whopping screen presence and one hell of a voice. This isn't really my kind of movie, but it still somehow managed to work for me.

The film works, mostly, as a showcase for Streisand, especially since no one else is given even…