• Aaron Michael

★★★★ Watched by Aaron Michael 27 Apr, 2016

Wednesday Afternoon Aesthetic: sitting on the floor of my kitchen listening to Barbra sing "My Man" and crying

• Andrew

★★★★½ Watched by Andrew 22 Apr, 2016 2

So it turns out Barbra Streisand is one of those actors who's had a billion great things said about them and deserved every last one. The movie is fairly uneven and I don't care for the music too much but have you SEEN Barbra Streisand?????? She's somehow made me more gay AND more straight at the same time. Colors are brighter now, etc.

• Taylor Ruth

★★★ Watched by Taylor Ruth 08 Jun, 2014

babs has such a beautiful voice, rip omar sharif

• Reece Leonard

★★★ Watched by Reece Leonard 16 Apr, 2016

Funny Girl is absolutely baffling, the immediate and obvious difference between the first and second halves equivalent to that of night and day. The first hour and a half is wonderful, so much so that the film could've ended there and been much better off for it, but after a significant amount of time devoted to a woman's fight for professional success, the work pivots to an un-involving, melodramatic storyline that brings a previously minor subplot involving her love interest…

• EvanstonDad

★★½ Added by EvanstonDad

"Funny Girl" may as well be called "A Star Is Born," because that's what audiences at the time were witnessing, right before their very eyes. This is the film that introduced Barbra Streisand to film audiences and catapulted her into mainstream stardom, and nearly 40 years later, she remains pretty much the only reason to watch this musical. Movie musicals have always been notorious for having flimsy scripts, but "Funny Girl,"s is probably one of the flimsiest. Too often, the…

• Nathannnnn Phillipssssss

★★ Watched by Nathannnnn Phillipssssss 18 Mar, 2016

Biopic of Fanny Brice is most remembered for Barbra Streisand's performance and several of her signature songs; as a film it's a fairly anonymous love story, probably of interest solely to people who really love the lead actress and/or Broadway musicals. I enjoyed neither songs, acting nor staging. William Wyler's last big hit but you can hardly tell it's even his work.

• michaeldmcclain

★★★★★ Rewatched by michaeldmcclain 28 Feb, 2016

One of my favorite movie musicals! Barbra's performance as Fanny Brice is still up there on my list of the greatest performances captured on film. Plus how romantic are she and Omar together!!!

• Raul Marques

★★★★ Watched by Raul Marques 25 Feb, 2016

The first half is a classic backstage/rags-to-riches tale, with the musical numbers working really well with the charming romance that's the true focus of the narrative. Then, it goes beyond the happy ending and becomes this weirdly realistic melodrama that presents issues that go from gambling addiction to the woman being the provider of a household. That second part doesn't repeat the same success as the opening one, but the effort in going further than the genre usually goes is definitely valid. Streisand is hypnotizing in the main role, particularly helped by Wyler's Lubitsch-y complimentary direction.

• ryan k.

★★★½ Rewatched by ryan k. 23 Feb, 2016

Fanny Brice is a dumb character, but she sing pretty.

• Emily James

★★★★ Watched by Emily James 23 Aug, 2015

Yeah, I like this film a lot, actually. It's a fairly light-hearted piece with some memorable songs and hilarious dialogue from Streisand, especially during the "You are woman, I am man" scene. Although Omar Sharif's singing voice is utterly tragic, I think he makes up for it by having a great stage presence and it's certainly rewarding to watch him whenever he's there. However, I will admit that I did find myself having a much lower attention span during the…

• Pete Laurie

★★★ Watched by Pete Laurie 07 Jan, 2016

When I was growing up, Barbra Streisand was already an old lady, made fun of by the young, cool comedians and TV shows. She was purely for middle aged and older house wives. In the three decades that I’ve known who she was, my own view of Streisand has never really altered to much from that. I guess, for a long time now, I’ve known she made legitimately good movies that established her as a star in the first place,…

• Doug Dickinson

★★★ Watched by Doug Dickinson 03 Jan, 2016

Okay for the usual bloated 1960's musical. Barbra Streisand is the highlight in her Oscar-winning breakthrough role.