• tiggerbella2

★★½ Watched by tiggerbella2 23 Jul, 2014

great showcase of vadville style performance but silly story

• Kezia Hutabarat

★★★★ Added by Kezia Hutabarat

This film makes me falling in love with Barbra Streisand.

• thejenmath

★★★ Watched by thejenmath 03 Jul, 2014

Running ninety minutes too long, "Funny Girl" is Streisand's star vehicle so it's perplexing why the film's focus shifts from her burgeoning career to her husband and marital troubles in the second half, drastically losing my interest and ruining what was an enjoyable watch.

• Sean Wicks

★★½ Watched by Sean Wicks 19 Jun, 2014

I was expecting a lot from this movie for some reason - and a lot I got from Babs who very obviously earned her Oscar (tied win that year with Katharine Hepburn for The Lion in Winter) however the movie itself falters drastically in the second half which shifts the focus from Fanny's (Barbra) career to the usual story of a troubled marriage where she's the bread winner and husband becomes a failure. Yep it becomes A STAR IS BORN…

• zkorpi

Watched by zkorpi 09 Jun, 2014

I liked this, but the first half is SOOOOO much better than the second. And has so many more songs. The second half is not about her career anymore, it's just about her lame husband resisting the good temptation to stop being lame. Sorry, but that's not enough for me. The first half was funny and thrilling and entertaining. The whole thing was well directed, and the ballet in the middle was particularly interestingly shot (from above and with a…

• Todd Willcox

★★★½ Added by Todd Willcox

FUNNY GIRL remains one of the most over-rated films in movie history. I realize that the time -- 1968 -- it was a huge success. What works here? The incredible music and lyrics provided by Jule Styne and Bob Merill. Barbra Streisand delivers each son with gusto and sincerity. However, all the comedy and drama that happens in-between the musical numbers is pretty stifling. I disagree that Streisand deserved an Academy Award for her performance; she shared it with Katharine…

• Daniel

★★★½ Watched by Daniel 03 Jun, 2014

Definitely overrated in terms of story and script, though Streisand undoubtedly owns the role and left an indelible mark on movie musical history.

• Christian R

★★★★ Rewatched by Christian R 24 Apr, 2014

A fine movie musical with a brava performance from Streisand. The first act succeeds in giving us some brilliant and powerful songs, but act two falls short in deciding if it wants to be a story of Nick's money problems or a musical.

• Joseph Brown

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joseph Brown 05 Apr, 2014

A perfect musical, though it's hard to accept a young Streisand as "not-beautiful."

• Fernando Iriarte

★★★★★ Watched by Fernando Iriarte 17 Mar, 2014

Vista a las 11:00 pm a través de Claro Video.

Es mi musical favorito

• Joel T

★★★½ Watched by Joel T 12 Mar, 2014

Synopsis – She wants to be a star, so she does that. And apparently she’s ugly? I mean, she’s not conventionally beautiful, but ugly? C’mon. Well, anyway, she gets by on her self-deprecating sense of humor and her denial of rejection in all its forms.

Starring - Barbra Streisand, Omar Sharif, others

Movie #4 in the March movie project, I asked my mom what makes Funny Girl special to her:
    “I love the ugly duckling makes good story. I memorized…

• Roberts

★★★½ Watched by Roberts 09 Mar, 2014

FUNNY GIRL makes a mistake right after the intermission - it stops being a musical and instead turns into a melodrama. It doesn't ruin the film and I still enjoyed the rest, but the first half was near perfect for me.