• Christina

★★★★ Rewatched by Christina 25 Jan, 2015

It is easy to see how Barbra Streisand became a star watching this movie. The supporting cast is fine but this is Streisand's movie.

Good: Pretty much every song Streisand sings is outstanding.
    Bad: Movie drags too much in the second half.
    Meh: Definitely a fictionalized version of Brice's life. No way that hair and make-up worked in the 1920s.
    Ohhh: Walter Pidgeon plays Ziegfeld and this is the age that matches his name. I saw him in an earlier movie and it just didn't fit.

"Hello gorgeous!"

• Alicia

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alicia 01 Jan, 2015

The only time I've ever cried while watching a musical is when Fanny sings "My Man"...and I mean I BALLED. Love Barbara Streisand, she is a class act.

• wbmalone

★★½ Rewatched by wbmalone 27 Dec, 2014

Not as good as I remembered. But Striesand could save any film.

• AmandaC

★★★★ Watched by AmandaC 19 Dec, 2014

Hadn't realised how many songs were in this film. Kept me thoroughly entertained from beginning to end.

• pstead

★★★½ Watched by pstead 14 Dec, 2014

I despise musicals usually. but I could watch and listen to Streisand all day long. Goes on a bit.

• David Baptiste

★★★½ Watched by ninajackson 06 Dec, 2014

Nice musical!

• Nik

★★½ Watched by Nik 28 Sep, 2014

A romantic comedy musical biopic. Not generally my cups of tea. People who love musicals generally love the songs without any regards to any other part of the film. And William Wyler doesn't direct this with any of the grandiosity that musicals of the 50s were given in their heyday. I mean, this is the guy who directed Ben-Hur. And our most lavish production in the first act is the seduction scene in a hotel room and that is only…

• hydrangeass

★★★★½ Added by hydrangeass

Barbra Streisand at her finnest and funniest. A classic worth watching.

• Matt DeGroot

★★★½ Watched by Matt DeGroot 20 Sep, 2014

Charming musical about the dangers of gambling addiction.

Yeah...didn't think I'd be saying that when I initially popped this disc in for the first time today. What starts out as an engaging, romantic, humorous and entertaining film about a young woman determined to have a life on the stage while battling self-conscious feelings about her physical appearance eventually devolves into a story about her once charming husband's money woes and standing by him no matter what.

The disconnect in the…

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★★ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 14 Sep, 2014

I wrote this about halfway in "I'm not sure how I feel about Babs. Her voice is wonderful for sure but her performance just isn't doing much for me."

Then I watched the rest and a friend told me to think of the film as a "whole experience" and I told her what I thought of the rest.

"Oh believe me, my tune has changed. After seeing/hearing You are Woman, I am Man I fell for this. The second half…

• Dara Khan

★★★★ Watched by Dara Khan 08 Sep, 2014

I didn't really grow up with musicals, and by the time I was aware of them I found I was quite allergic to them. I am the last person I expected to suddenly get really into Barbra Streisand, but here we are. I could blame this on the influence of a friend who's well-versed in the classic divas, but really it's because a song like "Don't Rain On My Parade" stirs some final nerve of resistance in my big dumb…