• solidcurrency

★★★ Added by solidcurrency

Barbra Streisand has amazing hair and costumes in this film. The funny bits are funny and I love "Don't Rain on my Parade."

• micah1984

★★★ Watched by micah1984 02 Oct, 2015 1

Barbara Streisand shows that she can sing, act, and make people laugh. As far as I can tell this is her big shout out to all the "haters", showing them that her big nose is not near as big as her confidence. But while her character is funny and entertaining, the rest of the movie does little to help her in her mission.

The opening sequence, when she walks into the theater alone, is a thing of dramatic beauty.

• Hazey Jane

★★★½ Watched by Hazey Jane 27 Sep, 2015

Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16
    Week 4: 60s Blockbuster Week

I enjoyed this movie. Babs was adorable and funny and...Well, commenting on her amazing voice just goes without saying because hey, it's Barbara Streisand. I could see a lot of Fanny Brice coming through in her performance, but she also put a unique spin onto it making it her own, unique role.

While I liked this movie, I do think it dragged out. I don't think it really needed to be…

• Nigel

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nigel 23 Sep, 2015

I'm not really a musical buff and I don't usually watch musicals, but when it comes down to it, Funny Girl is my #1 favorite (along with A Star is Born, they're tied in my book).

Every time I watch this film, I always remember why I love it.I love Barbra Streisand so much in this film. She played entertainer Fanny Brice wonderfully and Omar Sharif also played gambler Nicky Arnstein well too. Every song in the film is also memorable (no, I don't get emotional at the very end of the movie when she sings "My Man" and no, I do not belt along either).

• kurt k

★★★★ Watched by kurt k 13 Jan, 2012

me: [horribly belts out 'my man' whilst crying]

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 09 Apr, 2013

If ever a role was a perfect fit for an actor, this would be one of the top ones. Barbra Streisand is beyond perfect in this comical and melodramatic role. This was her first movie and it would win her the Academy Award and make her a household name.

This remains her finest role. It is difficult to imagine anyone not enjoying this movie. It just works. It is completely entertaining from beginning to end. There is genuine chemistry between…

• Matt Taylor

★★★½ Watched by Matt Taylor 27 Jul, 2015

Prior to watching Funny Girl, Barbra Streisand was, in my eyes, nothing more than a talented singer whose target audience was middle aged housewives. But, after watching Funny Girl, she's become a really terrific leading actress with a whopping screen presence and one hell of a voice. This isn't really my kind of movie, but it still somehow managed to work for me.

The film works, mostly, as a showcase for Streisand, especially since no one else is given even…

• Ziad Hammad

★★★½ Watched by Ziad Hammad 19 Jul, 2015

Not my favorite Wyler film but certainly enjoyable. Also, Barbra Streisand is pretty fantastic in this.

• Justin Swanson

★★★★ Watched by Justin Swanson 16 Jul, 2015

A fun biopic of an early 'it' girl, Fanny Brice, played magnificently by Barbra Streisand. Focusing briefly on her rise to stardom, and largely on her relationship with her first husband, Nick Arnstein, it puts a positive and romantic spin on what seems to have been a turbulent relationship.

There is no denying Omar Scharif's charm. His passing last week caused me to pay closer attention to him. Smooth, elegant, and unflappable, he was some of the the best of what Hollywood had to offer in the 60s.

• fugitivo5

★★★★★ Added by fugitivo5

• Ramona & Cat.

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ramona & Cat. 11 Jul, 2015

After hearing the news that Omar Sharif passed away I had to revisit him in one of the films i find most romantic.

The first time I watched this film Sharif took my breath away, in the exact same way he took Fanny Brice's. I've basically imagined myself in that seductive date scene in the hotel suite in place of Fanny, because that's how much I was in love with Nick Arnstein growing up.

**sigh** We lost another great one.…

• fugitivo5