• Dustin Sells

★½ Rewatched by Dustin Sells 22 May, 2015

Wow these effects Do Not hold up! Pleasantly surprised by Jean Reno and nothing else.

• Zack Parks

★★★★★ Rewatched by Zack Parks 19 Aug, 2014

Ok, this was the RiffTrax Live encore showing and they were spectacular as always, but I have a small confession: this is a guilty pleasure for me. I dearly love the braindead characters of this movie. It's a horrible Godzilla movie, for sure, but there's just something endearingly awful about it.

• Christopher

★★½ Rewatched by Christopher 04 May, 2015

By and large no one really likes this film. For me it was alright, it maintains a 'high' score mainly for nostalgic value and I personally like the design of Godzilla (even though it pales in comparison to the 2014 one). Characters were a bit hit and miss, and there are more than a few plot holes and such. Over all it's an alright film to watch when you don't know what to watch.

• An Angry Bear

Watched by An Angry Bear 03 May, 2015

This is a like a how to guide to making a cliche action blockbuster.Hire an actor everyone used to think was cool, steal blatantly from Spielberg, make it a remake or use already existing property, have terrible jokes, and just everything you can think of that's already been done before. Truly lazy filmmaking.

• Blair Russell

Added by Blair Russell

This is another case of me watching again something that I last saw many years ago. The first viewing was back on the big screen in May of '98, where me and many others watched it and ended up with the general consensus that it isn't too good. I am sure I saw it on VHS sometime after that but it has to be at least 15 years since the last viewing. After last night, don't expect me to ever…

• Lois

★★★ Rewatched by Lois 28 Apr, 2015

This movie is pretty campy, but that's most of the reason I enjoy it. The technical effects aren't amazing but they're not terrible either and the acting isn't as offensive as it could be. Plus I really like Matthew Broderick so that helps a lot.

I've still yet to see an American-made Godzilla movie that really captures the feel of the originals. I'd really like to see another kaiju in the mix in one of these films, like Mothra.

• jadecanard

★★★ Added by jadecanard

I enjoyed it; I don't mind the flaws.

• Travis Lytle

★★★ Rewatched by Travis Lytle 26 Apr, 2015 2

Roland Emmerich's "Godzilla" starts off with a giddy bang. Everyone's favorite kaiju makes quick work of ocean vessels before making quicker work of New York City. It is a ferociously entertaining beginning to a film the falls off precipitously after its first hour; but, even though the film can not make good on its opening monster-science-fiction salvo, it still manages to put forth an, overall, above-average effort.

The story is simple: the great Gojira rises from the depths, 30 stories…

• cmasong

★½ Watched by cmasong 22 Apr, 2015

Netflix has extremely limited titles available in 4K, the titles they do have are puzzling to say the least. Jerry McGuire? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? These films are barely relevant, I can't see them selling your 4K service. And just recently, they've added yet another title that will surely win NO ONE over, Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. Nevertheless, I felt I should see how this late nineties tentpole failure holds up in Ultra HD.

Honestly, the first thing I noticed is…

• JohnAllegretti

Added by JohnAllegretti

VHS

• Sylvani

★★ Rewatched by Sylvani 01 Apr, 2015

Rifftrax was smart to riff this after the latest US G-effort. Still found bits of the non-riffed original to enjoy even, albeit support casting of Reno, Azaria and Shearer.

• RonnieGardocki

Rewatched by RonnieGardocki 06 Apr, 2015

This is available on NetFlix now why exactly? I do respect that sometime tried to make an action movie in 1998 with Matthew Broderick, a man who's most notable action scene was killing two people with Jennifer Grey.