• Gregory Day

Watched by Gregory Day 07 Dec, 2014

1. Rifftrax, even though very inspired, couldn't make this watchable.
    2. No matter how many Manhattan cocktails I've had, could not make this watchable. Four and counting.
    3. I can't believe the 1954 original Godzilla is listed 3rd on Letterboxd behind the 2014 entry and this one when searching Godzilla.
    4. How does Godzilla even become France's problem?
    5. How does anyone not see the 2014 American movie as a remake of this one?
    6. An hour and a half in and five Manhattans still isn't making this watchable. Sorry Rifftrax, I love you!
    7. Fuck you Roland Emmirch for Mayor Ebert!

• mizpol

★★★★ Rewatched by mizpol 29 Oct, 2014

DON"T compare this to any other Godzilla movies and enjoy it for what it is.. Good fun 90's action movie.. Yes it is more like Jurassic Park and yes there are two points in the film that it could have finished earlier to better effect IMO.. Cheesy action fun.. Yeah I quite like this..

• whitsbrain

Added by whitsbrain

I recall seeing this in the theater on opening day. I was so fired up to see it. Over the weeks that followed, I tried to convince myself that I liked it. What a waste.

This movie is awful. The effects are dated. Everything is filmed in the dark and in a torrential downpour. It's tough to determine whether they were trying to hide the poor, early CGI effects or that Godzilla itself was nothing more than a giant lizard.…

• Kevin Carr

★★ Rewatched by Kevin Carr 29 Nov, 2014

The RiffTrax version

• Joey

★★★ Added by Joey

Purists will give me hell for this, but I actually enjoy this movie as fun bit of giant monster comedy. It's fun. It HAS fun. I smiled at this movie. That's more than I can say for certain other American Godzilla movies.

• eXtreme eVolution

★★½ Rewatched by eXtreme eVolution 26 Nov, 2000

If it hadn't been for this movie, the spin-off animated series would not have been made and I would have one less TV show to fill my childhood void.

• MovieMan23

Added by MovieMan23

Horrible remake that could have been great.

• alf025237

★½ Added by alf025237

filme bem ruinzinho.

• pillole di cinema

★★ Watched by pillole di cinema 19 May, 2014

Non c'è una cosa che funzioni in Godzilla (1998). Fracasso, storia d'amore, attori: tutto è oscenamente patetico. Buono solo per incazzarsi.

• hotsake

★★★★ Added by hotsake

While I don't really consider this a "true" Godzilla movie I do honestly feel that it's a big loud Fun movie to watch with friends.

• MildlyArtistic

½ Added by MildlyArtistic

The fact that some people actually like this atrocity keeps me up at night.

Do not watch. Ever.

• Naughty

★★★★★ Watched by Naughty 26 Oct, 2014 18

Huge Blockbuster special effects that exploded like Bouncing Betty's and literally blew me away! Heavy action kept me locked and loaded and ready to go off at any moment! It was non stop thrills from start to finish!

A fabulous escapist film that delivered good ole fashioned fun! Jean Reno was fantastic as always and stole every scene he was involved in!

If you are a purist you may want to avoid the film altogether as it did stray away from the so-called accepted mythology of Godzilla!

Last Word: The Best Non Godzilla "Godzilla" film I've ever seen!