• Brian O'Blivion

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian O'Blivion 14 Jul, 2015

Once again because WHY NOT and also because the new Godzilla PS4 gamesoft is out today and I am pretty keen to feel that Dual Shock rumble with each stomp — as any monster in the entire Godzilla filmography. It's the simple things in life, or something.

• Isaac von Schmitt

★★★★★ Watched by Isaac von Schmitt 13 Jul, 2015

Mothra died too fast. It was kind of odd seeing the monsters were people in suits, yet there was CGI for other things. I haven't seen all the Godzilla movies, but this one is pretty damn good.

• Paul Davey

★½ Watched by Paul Davey 09 Jul, 2015

Aaaaaaaand we're back to looking like a Power Rangers episode.

• Steven Millan

★★★★ Rewatched by Steven Millan 31 May, 2015

Shusuke Kaneko(NECRONOMICON,GAMERA:GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE) tries his shot at directing a Godillza film and is actually spectacular at the results he conjures in this subversive reboot of the series that has Godzilla in full fledged heel/villain monster mode(complete with glowing white EVIL DEAD-esque eyes)as he rises to destroy all of Japan,but three mythical guardian monsters in the forms of Baragon(the villain beast of FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD),Mothra,and King Ghidorah(appearing this time as a good guy) awake from their eternal rest…

• Brian O'Blivion

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian O'Blivion 27 May, 2015

Sometimes you come home from a day at work and you just need to put your feet up and enjoy a film you know you love. Still my favorite Godzilla film, barring mention of the more psychedelic kitsch of entries like Hedorah (aka The Smog Monster), GMK is thrilling monster mayhem only surpassed by Shūsuke Kaneko's own Gamera trilogy. It's among the most brutally leftist kaiju films, features one of the entire franchise's most prominent and independent leading ladies (the…

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★½ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 09 May, 2015

Ignoring the quite poor lip synching and translation (but decent enough voice work), the movie is pretty decent and doesn't take as long as some to get to the action. Rather fun and more spectacular than many of the Godzilla series, this one has Godzilla taking out individuals in almost comical moments as well as razing entire districts. I also really liked the Ghidorah design in this - so much like what you'd consider an Eastern dragon design that is usual with this.

Fun.

• Ernst_Bitterman

★★★★½ Added by Ernst_Bitterman

A rather out-of-canon entry, but one that I love deeply. I find myself wondering if this film is a direct response to the resurgent Gamera; if the turtle is going to be a guardian and friend, why don't we return Godzilla to the role of implacable enemy?

Apart from my fondness for it, it has a script which frequently makes sense even with the appearance of mysticism and allegory, rather good effects without giving up on smothering stuntmen in rubber suits, human interactions which are generally pretty good. That earns high marks in the realm of kaiju eiga.

• Chabe

★★★★½ Watched by Chabe 20 Mar, 2015

Not only did it have 3 monsters in the film, but it also human story that was pretty descent. Cool fight scenes and of course a bad ass Godzi. One of the best Godzilla movies done in a while imo.

• Vietcong

★★★ Rewatched by Vietcong 27 Dec, 2014

This just is not the brutal, dark monster film I always thought it was as a kid. It's still got some of that stuff, and it's great, but it suffers from a slower burn than most Godzilla films and frankly other than King Ghidorah, I didn't find the enemy monsters that interesting. It's a great, fresh take on the character of Godzilla, though, and does feature some incredible kaiju violence. Very much worth the watch.

• Roebucan

★★★★½ Watched by Roebucan 03 Feb, 2015

A completely fresh take on the Godzilla mythos that really pays off. The characters are awesome, the special effects are superb, and the idea's really work. The idea of "Guardian" monsters, and taking a more mythological view of Godzilla shifts the focus creating for some new experimentation. Be on the lookout for cameos by many actors/actresses from the Heisei Gamera films as this director worked on Gamera 3.

• Caleb McCandless

★★½ Watched by Caleb McCandless 01 Jan, 2015

The effects here are quite good, and the idea to bring Godzilla back to looking like a classic monster is great, but those dead, white eyes just kill any sense of wonder.

• Dorian Rodríguez

★★★½ Added by Dorian Rodríguez

This felt so fresh, and the cgi was done right.