• Steven Millan

★★★★ Rewatched by Steven Millan 31 May, 2015

Shusuke Kaneko(NECRONOMICON,GAMERA:GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE) tries his shot at directing a Godillza film and is actually spectacular at the results he conjures in this subversive reboot of the series that has Godzilla in full fledged heel/villain monster mode(complete with glowing white EVIL DEAD-esque eyes)as he rises to destroy all of Japan,but three mythical guardian monsters in the forms of Baragon(the villain beast of FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD),Mothra,and King Ghidorah(appearing this time as a good guy) awake from their eternal rest…

• Brian O'Blivion

★★★★ Rewatched by Brian O'Blivion 27 May, 2015

Sometimes you come home from a day at work and you just need to put your feet up and enjoy a film you know you love. Still my favorite Godzilla film, barring mention of the more psychedelic kitsch of entries like Hedorah (aka The Smog Monster), GMK is thrilling monster mayhem only surpassed by Shūsuke Kaneko's own Gamera trilogy. It's among the most brutally leftist kaiju films, features one of the entire franchise's most prominent and independent leading ladies (the…

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★½ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 09 May, 2015

Ignoring the quite poor lip synching and translation (but decent enough voice work), the movie is pretty decent and doesn't take as long as some to get to the action. Rather fun and more spectacular than many of the Godzilla series, this one has Godzilla taking out individuals in almost comical moments as well as razing entire districts. I also really liked the Ghidorah design in this - so much like what you'd consider an Eastern dragon design that is usual with this.

Fun.

• Ernst_Bitterman

★★★★½ Added by Ernst_Bitterman

A rather out-of-canon entry, but one that I love deeply. I find myself wondering if this film is a direct response to the resurgent Gamera; if the turtle is going to be a guardian and friend, why don't we return Godzilla to the role of implacable enemy? The human sequences are better than average for this sort of movie, too.

• Chabe

★★★★½ Watched by Chabe 20 Mar, 2015

Not only did it have 3 monsters in the film, but it also human story that was pretty descent. Cool fight scenes and of course a bad ass Godzi. One of the best Godzilla movies done in a while imo.

• Vietcong

★★★ Rewatched by Vietcong 27 Dec, 2014

This just is not the brutal, dark monster film I always thought it was as a kid. It's still got some of that stuff, and it's great, but it suffers from a slower burn than most Godzilla films and frankly other than King Ghidorah, I didn't find the enemy monsters that interesting. It's a great, fresh take on the character of Godzilla, though, and does feature some incredible kaiju violence. Very much worth the watch.

• Roebucan

★★★★½ Watched by Roebucan 03 Feb, 2015

A completely fresh take on the Godzilla mythos that really pays off. The characters are awesome, the special effects are superb, and the idea's really work. The idea of "Guardian" monsters, and taking a more mythological view of Godzilla shifts the focus creating for some new experimentation. Be on the lookout for cameos by many actors/actresses from the Heisei Gamera films as this director worked on Gamera 3.

• Caleb McCandless

★★½ Watched by Caleb McCandless 01 Jan, 2015

The effects here are quite good, and the idea to bring Godzilla back to looking like a classic monster is great, but those dead, white eyes just kill any sense of wonder.

• Dorian Rodríguez

★★★½ Added by Dorian Rodríguez

This felt so fresh, and the cgi was done right.

• Teenagecaveman

★★★★ Added by Teenagecaveman

The best Godzilla film.

• Kat Everett

★★★ Watched by Kat Everett 15 Sep, 2014

Weird feelings about this one. Toho decided to go back to its roots by bringing in Godzilla’s two most frequent co-stars, but with a twist. Instead of Godzilla and Mothra teaming up to fight an evil King Ghidorah, as usually happens when these three meet up, Godzilla was the antagonist of this film while King Ghidorah was recast as one of the legendary “Guardian Monsters” along with Mothra and Baragon (whose role was much more marginal). Director Shūsuke Kaneko also…

• wormwould

★★★★ Watched by wormwould 21 Dec, 2014

A lot of movies in this franchise got a way with a lot simply because it was Godzilla (which is actually perfectly acceptable to me, to be honest). But this one earnestly confronts many of those problems. The good ol' embodiment of WMD warfare himself comes to us as a mean son-of-a-bitch to burn humanity to the ground, and we are responsible for all that angry power. His blank eyes are singularly are singularly fixated on destruction. But alas... "He's…