• Roebucan

★★★½ Watched by Roebucan 13 Jan, 2015

I loved this movie as a kid, and all of the original footage shot for the film holds up. The only major detractor is the noticeable stock footage, especially since nearly all of the big fight scenes happen during the night, its super noticeable when daytime footage from another movie sneaks in. Still great human characters, and some great music. Gigan is also my favourite Kaiju design.

• Cinematic Justice

★★★★ Watched by Cinematic Justice 11 Sep, 2014

This film was the first time the producers seemed to ask the question, “Say, alien antagonists are cool, but what if we had them basically act like Bond villains?” If you read my reaction to Invasion of Astro-Monster, I probably don’t even have to tell you that this definitely works for me. And having the protagonist be a manga artist was a nice touch, too, if you’ll allow me to dish out a few more uncritical nerd points.

In all…

• TenshiMVP

★★★½ Watched by TenshiMVP 16 Dec, 2014

I am back baby with my Godzilla marathon. I can honestly say Godzilla vs Gigan (1972) was the first time time my mouth dropped in the series. This movie was actually pretty violent for a Godzilla movie. We finally get introduced to Gigan probably the craziest Kaiju up to this point. He has curved blades for appendages, a rotating saw on the front of his body and three horns. It's a pretty insane design, something that a kid would design…

• Brian O'Blivion

★★★ Watched by Brian O'Blivion 27 Nov, 2014

I said in an IRC chat room while up late, somewhat high, watching this:

holy shit, godzilla vs. gigan has monsters talking to each other with turntable scratch noises and big manga speech bubbles in japanese

this owns

(usual Godzilla problems with the first half of the movie being totally boring political human drama bullshit, and the very backloaded second half of the movie delivering the fantastic cheese and mayhem.)

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 09 Nov, 2014

a definite step down in quality and entertainment after Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster, this one takes way, way too long to get going. Once it gets going, the fight choreography is mostly not as good as other recent efforts, and much of the time it's hidden in dust or by being framed too closely.

On the plus side, I liked the freaky alient cockroaches, Gigan's monster design was terrific, and and Godzilla movie benefits by the presence of King Ghidorah.

• Hemi

★★½ Added by Hemi

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This is a weird Godzilla film. I like Gigan a lot as an enemy, but monsters are underused. Strange talking between monsters, giant cockroach people and strange Godzilla fun land. Everything about this is kind of trippy.

• Cameron Wayne Johnson

★★½ Watched by Cameron Wayne Johnson 11 Oct, 2014

Well, ladies and gentlemen, this film marked the last in which Haruo Nakajima donned the Godzilla suit, but don't worry, kids, because the man was sure to go out with a bang. Ghidorah may be back, but here, Godzilla takes on the most fearsome invaders of them all: ...Americans... right? That was such a stretch that I may as well has ended up reaching for the stars or something, because I was kind of alluding to how the Americans tried…

• jonpalmer86

★★½ Watched by jonpalmer86 22 Jul, 2014

I imagine that my affection for this movie will grow over time and it will be one of the Godzilla films I'm most likely to revisit. After all, Gigan is a total badass and his lengthy destruction scene with a never-better King Ghidorah is one of the finest that the series has yet seen. Hell, even the key points of contention about this film (stock footage and strange monster-talk between Godzilla and Anguirus) didn't really bother me all too much.…

• RealDeadOne

★★ Watched by RealDeadOne 08 Jul, 2014

Same old drawn out story, same old Godzilla suit but at least there's Gigan who has a nasty buzzsaw blade for a chest.

• The Spork Guy

★★★½ Rewatched by The Spork Guy 16 May, 2014

By the late 1960′s the Godzilla film series had been firmly established as a venture into children’s entertainment. After entries such as “Godzilla vs The Smog Monster” and the all too hard to forget, “All Monsters Attack”, these films had become means of teaching kids life lessons in the best way possible: By mixing it up with monsters punching each other in the face. However 1972 happened to be when that all changed. Frequently considered one of the most hated…

• Ferox

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ferox 19 Jun, 2014

This movie has the best Godzilla fight I've ever seen. It's cheap on amazon right now. Go get it!

• NeoKingGhidorah

★½ Added by NeoKingGhidorah

Godzilla shows up about 40 minutes into the film. That's 20 minutes earlier than Godzilla: Final Wars.

Still boring tho