• Stephen Wolterstorff

★★★ Rewatched by Stephen Wolterstorff 21 Jun, 2015

Fun 70s era Godzilla. Plot is simple as these were increasingly becoming kiddy flicks. Continues the Godzilla Eco Warrior theme. Oddly it also becomes more violent for it (both Godzilla and Angilrus 'get color'). Some of the reused effects footage is very obvious. I watch the Kraken Blu ray and it looks great!

• Jacob deNobel

Rewatched by Jacob deNobel 14 Jun, 2015

Yeah, it's cheap and yeah, they use some stock footage, but it's also a Godzilla movie where a comic book artist tries to stop cockroaches who have built a Godzilla theme park from taking over the world, which is exactly the kind of plot I think these movies should have.

I love both Ishiro Honda and Jun Fukuda, but it's interesting to see Fukuda's more dynamic camerawork coming so soon after Honda establishes the look of the franchise.

• Steven Millan

★★★ Rewatched by Steven Millan 12 Jun, 2015

After the success of his battle with Hedorah The Smog Monster(in both Japanese and American theaters),Godzilla returns to battle a new monster in this lower budgeted but still enjoyable effort that has a cartoon artist and his martial arts skilled girlfriend joining forces with a young lady and her long haired,goatee sporting brother who have the audio tape of the artist's new boss who is actually part of a group of aliens disguised as humans who make their home in…

• Lucas

★★★★★ Rewatched by Lucas 12 Mar, 2015

This is one of my favorite of the Godzilla franchise, I really can't tell why but it's just great. This is where a lot of the fans stop liking the movies, mainly for the whole cheesy kid feel to it and it may put people off from it. I do recommend it mainly for being the introduction to Gigan and he is one of the most badass of the villains.

• Matthew Lucas

★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew Lucas 08 Mar, 2015

The best of Jun Fukuda's entries in the series is a surprisingly dark kaiju picture, pitting Godzilla and Anguirus against Gigan and King Ghidorah, two space monsters summoned by alien cockroaches out to take over the world through a seemingly innocent children's theme park. Sure it sounds a bit silly, but only in the best ways, as it foregoes much of the 1970s goofiness that marked other Godzilla pictures of the era in favor of some truly down and dirty…

• Tobias

★★★ Rewatched by Tobias 11 Feb, 2015

Before Godzilla reached his lowest point, there was this one. Basically, Godzilla vs. Gigan returned to the story scheme of Godzilla's science fiction era of the mid 60s, copying the basic storyline of Invasion of the Astro Monster and Destroy all Monsters. Like in the following year with Godzilla vs. Megalon, the story could have used in a better way than just being a more or less convenient way to bring the monsters into action. If the aliens (which are…

• Roebucan

★★★½ Watched by Roebucan 13 Jan, 2015

I loved this movie as a kid, and all of the original footage shot for the film holds up. The only major detractor is the noticeable stock footage, especially since nearly all of the big fight scenes happen during the night, its super noticeable when daytime footage from another movie sneaks in. Still great human characters, and some great music. Gigan is also my favourite Kaiju design.

• Kat Everett

★★★★ Watched by Kat Everett 11 Sep, 2014

This film was the first time the producers seemed to ask the question, “Say, alien antagonists are cool, but what if we had them basically act like Bond villains?” If you read my reaction to Invasion of Astro-Monster, I probably don’t even have to tell you that this definitely works for me. And having the protagonist be a manga artist was a nice touch, too, if you’ll allow me to dish out a few more uncritical nerd points.

In all…

• TenshiMVP

★★★½ Watched by TenshiMVP 16 Dec, 2014

I am back baby with my Godzilla marathon. I can honestly say Godzilla vs Gigan (1972) was the first time time my mouth dropped in the series. This movie was actually pretty violent for a Godzilla movie. We finally get introduced to Gigan probably the craziest Kaiju up to this point. He has curved blades for appendages, a rotating saw on the front of his body and three horns. It's a pretty insane design, something that a kid would design…

• Brian O'Blivion

★★★ Watched by Brian O'Blivion 27 Nov, 2014

I said in an IRC chat room while up late, somewhat high, watching this:

holy shit, godzilla vs. gigan has monsters talking to each other with turntable scratch noises and big manga speech bubbles in japanese

this owns

(usual Godzilla problems with the first half of the movie being totally boring political human drama bullshit, and the very backloaded second half of the movie delivering the fantastic cheese and mayhem.)

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 09 Nov, 2014

a definite step down in quality and entertainment after Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster, this one takes way, way too long to get going. Once it gets going, the fight choreography is mostly not as good as other recent efforts, and much of the time it's hidden in dust or by being framed too closely.

On the plus side, I liked the freaky alient cockroaches, Gigan's monster design was terrific, and and Godzilla movie benefits by the presence of King Ghidorah.

• Hemi

★★½ Added by Hemi

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This is a weird Godzilla film. I like Gigan a lot as an enemy, but monsters are underused. Strange talking between monsters, giant cockroach people and strange Godzilla fun land. Everything about this is kind of trippy.