• William Kretschmer

★★★★ Watched by William Kretschmer 06 Dec, 2009

Disgruntled Korean War vet Walt Kowalski sets out to reform his neighbor, a young Hmong teenager, who tried to steal Kowalski's prized possession: his 1972 Gran Torino.
    It's once again the unlikely hero story so often told, but with Clint Eastwood's mature and subtle mastery as director and actor it's a great watch.
    Much thought can be added to the controversial topic of a grumpy racist as hero.

• Jeffrey Rubenstein

★★★★ Rewatched by Jeffrey Rubenstein 25 Jan, 2015

Excellent.

• TheFugLife

★★★★ Watched by TheFugLife 25 Jan, 2015

I usually don't get too sad after movies, but this one got to me. A very well put together movie and Clint Eastwood performs exactly how we expect him to be. Besides some sub-par acting at some points, a well done movie

• Jacob Powell

★★★ Watched by Jacob Powell 21 Jan, 2015

I don't think The Specials would have approved of Walt.

• Luke McGowan

★★★★½ Added by Luke McGowan

Humorous and touching, Gran Torino benefits from Eastwood's trademark directorial style, gravelly wit and a surprisingly talented rookie cast including an impressive performance by Ahney Her.

• Stephan

★★★★★ Watched by Stephan 13 Jan, 2015

Was für ein unfassbares Brett zauberte sich Eastwood da für seine letzte Schauspielrolle unter eigener Regie auf seinen alten verknochenden Dirty Harry-Leib. Was war das für ein unfassbares starkes Jahr 2008 für Eastwood als Filmemacher.

• Philipp

★★★★★ Rewatched by Philipp 19 Jan, 2015

Mein absoluter Lieblingsfilm

• Onnib

★★★½ Watched by Onnib 19 Jan, 2015

I like the story told of a grumpy veteran of the Korea War warming up to his Asian neighbors. It shows people can still find their humanity and compassion towards others. What struck me as a bit odd was that for a (traumatized?) war veteran he sure did change pretty quickly to accept his new neighbors, keeping his grumpy attitude to keep up appearances. For some reason his acting and that of the other characters weren't all that convincing. Too bad in an otherwise great movie.

• Jack Dignan

★★★★★ Watched by Jack Dignan 16 Jan, 2015

Okay, I think it's official. Clint Eastwood is my favourite actor. Definitely not director, but probably actor. Gran Torino is an utterly brilliant movie that was never once dull or uninteresting. It's a very moving and emotionally powerful story with yet another mesmerising performance from Clint Eastwood. Wow, this movie really blew me away.

• Carlos Castel

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Castel 13 Jan, 2015

With films like this, Clint Eastwood can show he's versatile, he can perform bad dudes who i won't mess with them.

• ShadetreeDad

★★★★½ Rewatched by ShadetreeDad 11 Jan, 2015

This viewing doesn't seem as powerful as my first time several years ago. Still a top rated film, but I lowered my score a bit. I really like how Clint came to the realization that good people come in all races and nationalities. His verbal sparring with the priest was especially enjoyable.

• Silversaxophone

★★½ Watched by Silversaxophone 06 Jan, 2015 2

One's tolerance for this simplistic, obvious and predictable drama might depend on how much stock one puts into good intentions and an enjoyable leading performance which reheats everything from Sergio Leone to Heartbreak Ridge. The representation of Hmong culture is no doubt oversimplified, but at least authentic Hmong actors are cast in the roles and there's semi-respectable and good-natured attempts to introduce some of its social mores. The exploitation is purely dramatic — the on-the-nose symbolism of the wake in…