• Julie Davis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Julie Davis 20 Jul, 2014

We're going to be discussing this for my movie group. I'd seen it before and a second viewing only increases my admiration for this unflinching look at Clint Eastwood's flinty, isolated character ... who is unwillingly pulled into contact with his "gook" next door neighbors.

As Roger Ebert said, "“Gran Torino is about the belated flowering of a man’s better nature. This doesn’t involve some kind of grand transformation. It involves starting to see the ‘gooks’ next door as people you love.”

• SteveDrums

★★★ Watched by SteveDrums 10 Jul, 2014

Solid slow burner and despite now an old man, Clint continues to ooze quality as an actor, producer and director. The ending could be guessed a mile off but it was well executed and although not exactly a weepie there was a lump in this reviewer's throat.

• TajLV

★★★½ Watched by TajLV 09 Jul, 2014

I am so glad this was not the vigilante movie I thought it was when it first came out. I like Clint Eastwood as an actor and director, but I'm not a huge fan of his politics, so the last thing I wanted to see was some neighborhood-watch drama full of of propaganda. Again, this is not at all what I feared it might be.

Set in the aging rust belt that is Michigan, this film is a pretty good…

• Benjamin Devasir

★★★★½ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 07 Jul, 2014

Clint Eastwood playing a bad ass old dude who swears and throws racist slurs around like it's absolutely nothing while also waving a huge M1 around and actually never even getting into the titular character, that fucking bad ass Gran Torino.

Very rarely can you ask for something better.

• Derek Diercksmeier

Added by Derek Diercksmeier 1

This film is corny, bland and completely terrible.

I will never understand why Eastwood is such a respected director.

• Paul Docherty

★★★★ Watched by Paul Docherty 06 Jul, 2014

Well that's no kind of strategy for curbing urban violence.

It's taken me a long time to see this movie but I'm happy that it largely delivers on the promise of that awesome trailer soundbite. Certainly the first hour does, with Eastwood playing the conservative asshole for every laugh he can. This is a very likable film that suddenly gets very ugly.

This is all about Eastwood's performance, which is endlessly watchable. A lot of this plot, however, feels a…

• SmokeyDoe

★★★★★ Added by SmokeyDoe

Really good movie and best comedy of the decade

• Fesapo

★★★★ Watched by Fesapo 15 Dec, 2008

85/100

• Gowtham Mahalingam

★★★★ Added by Gowtham Mahalingam

Watched this flick recently.. Such a great movie which speak human emotions and care in raw way.. Clint Eastwood blown the bulls eye as both director and actor.. Especially Actor Clint eastwood is unstoppable in scene by scene.. He jus lived as "Walt Kowalski".

His inner speaks and reactions for the weird thing happening around him is what to be termed as MASS. Especially when he says "Uh.." with anger in his face by seeing his grand daughter wearing an…

• Luke Kane

½ Added by Luke Kane 4

Helpless Asian family are bullied by a merciless band of thugs. Luckily they live next do to an almost-dead racist American war veteran (Eastwood) who comes to their aid and simultaneously learns valuable lessons about tolerance.

A tired premise about equality is scripted with an implacable sense of ignorance (the Asian characters talk like Americans and their dialogue feels awkward and inauthentic. The idea that Eastwood can defend these people more successfully than they can defend themselves is absurd and…

• Adam

★★★★ Added by Adam

• Kiko Vega

★★★★ Watched by Kiko Vega 22 Jun, 2014

Puto Eastwood. Él es Gran Torino y nosotros un chinorri capullín con mucho que aprender de bricolaje y de la vida.