• Dexter Reid

★★½ Watched by Dexter Reid 19 May, 2015

Why does this get so much praise? It's poorly made in the sense that there's not a moment of the film that isn't trying to shove racial tolerance and good will into your face, which makes the whole thing difficult to watch. The positives are a good performance from Eastwood and good cinematography. The negatives are an emotionally manipulative script, extreme racism, shitty acting from almost everyone else, and too many "haha look the old guy is racist" moments. This film could have been great with a better script and a better grasp at racism.

• Nathannnnn Phillipssssss

★★½ Watched by Nathannnnn Phillipssssss 17 May, 2015 2

Grouchy widower helps young boy resist gangs, become honest red-blooded Amurican. I tend to feel that the narrative of adorable-racist-coot-is-actually-a-big-hearted-hero was worn out circa 'All in the Family', though there are some scattered (and very easy) laughs here. It's pure schmaltzy bullshit -- straw characterization like that of our hero's disrespectful family members is a major pet peeve of mine, and crops up throughout Eastwood's filmography -- but basically harmless.

• Justin Scott

Added by Justin Scott

this movie was rank racist and only kinda entertaining

• NeilBahadur

★★★★★ Rewatched by NeilBahadur 14 May, 2015

"I'm proud to be able to call you my friend."

One of Eastwood's masterpieces: Unforgiven isn't Eastwood's last western, this is. Street gangs replace warring factions of a town, the youngest is pulled in-between, a priest mediates all conflict. And Eastwood himself is almost Fordian. He's a good-bad man, he rejects all emotion, he accepts his killer past....and one day, "like Paul on the road to Damascus," he changes. Through this Eastwood achieves his most sustained masterclass in economy. We're…

• Sabela La

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sabela La 13 May, 2015 3

Por favor, Clint, no te mueras nunca.

• MasterPike

★★★ Rewatched by MasterPike 05 May, 2015

How on earth did we all warm to this story of a belligerent, racist war veteran back in 2008 (Me Included)? Granted Eastwood is fantastic here but the constant use of "gooks" and "zipperheads" starts to wear thin after a while.

The whole old-school alpha male thing teaching the young Hmong boy to be a man just felt obvious this time around, and Walt's sacrifice to release Thao from the gang is a rather simplistic, cowboy solution to a wider…

• Joe Kucukdurgut

★★★★ Rewatched by Joe Kucukdurgut 28 Apr, 2015

Love this movie , very powerful story that always has me in tears at the end. The messages of racial prejudice and the impact of war are handled well and with some wit. This could have easily been tweaked a little bit and been the last dirty harry movie. Just replace the korean war with harry's time on the force, Would have been fitting for Callahan to bow out the way walt did as well. Still amazing film

• ayane

½ Watched by ayane 11 Mar, 2015

racist in every possible way. shut up and sit down clint eastwood.

• JohnAllegretti

Added by JohnAllegretti

DVD

• MartAiConan

★★★★★ Watched by MartAiConan 17 Apr, 2015

• Morrison

★★★★ Watched by Morrison 15 Apr, 2015

This would be an automatic five star film if Clint ever produced a directors cut that's just two solid hours of close ups of his character grunting and looking disapprovingly at things.

• Graham Durden

★★★★½ Watched by Graham Durden 15 Apr, 2015

8.5/10

Excellent Movie. Better than I expected. Solid acting all around. Great character development.