• Eugene McCrann

★★★½ Added by Eugene McCrann

A parody of a parody of Eastwood the icon. Goes down smoother if taken with a grain of salt, but makes one curious if Eastwood is serious. The character, who appears to be pretty self aware, has faux ideals, testing the waters to see if anyone has the balls to stand up to his pestering. And if they succeed he embraces them, like the barber who calls him a Mick, the girl's "booga booga bogga" retort, or Thao's education into…

• cineedo
  • Ulyssero

Watched by Ulyssero 06 Apr, 2014

The plot of Gran Torino focuses on the story of a man’s personal triumph over racism and his redemption through his friendship with the Hmong family he ends up befriending. It’s theme is racism, american culture and racial stereotypes juxtaposed with heroic white masculinity.

The Good

Excellent use of symbolism used throughout the film (e.g. Detroit suburbs representing the home of an aging industry that underpinned working class life and the American Dream in the early 20th century. Walt’s Gran…

• Chris Gelderd

★★★★★ Added by Chris Gelderd

Clint Eastwood directs this 2008 drama which he also produced and starred in as Walt Kowalski; a cantankerous, retired Polish American assembly line worker and Korean War veteran. Bee Vang, Aheny Her and Christopher Carley so-star.

Walt Kowalski (Eastwood) is recently widowed and lives in a quiet suburban area with his pet dog Daisy and happily distanced from his family who he knows are only interested in heritance. Walt's new neighbours, a Hmong family, initially irritate him at evident culture…

• Keith LaFountaine

★★★★ Added by Keith LaFountaine

Eastwood provides excellent direction and an astounding performance in this emotionally resonant film about honor, duty, and friendship.

• irajoel

½ Added by irajoel

A bore. Contrived stereotypical Hollywood yarn about someone who is so seeped in hate and self hatred but becomes a good man in the last part of this short but endless garbage. The screenplay at times is laughable, and believe me I don't want to be hard on Clint who I've liked for his entire career. This one though stinks. There is some good stuff with the gang, and at times the suspense is very good, but its ruined by…

• Dave

★★★★ Added by Dave

I’m growing more and more obsessed with Clint Eastwood in recent years. He may not be the best filmmaker or actor in Hollywood, but he’s a fascinating individual. His movies are always engaging and interesting, always of high quality and merit. I’ll be digging through his catalogue for years and years. Even if he may not have the depth to be a great actor, he never fails to have an undeniably mesmerizing screen presence. And as for "Gran Torino," it’s just a pure delight, from top to bottom. It’s tight, thoughtful, funny and endearing, featuring a light touch that I love seeing from Eastwood, the director.

• Joe

★★★★ Added by Joe

Clint Eastwood's farewell to the action thrillers that made up a large chunk of his career. In the same way that "Unforgiven" was his eulogy to the western this is his goodbye to "Dirty Harry." In fact if you think of it as Dirty Harry 6 it becomes immensely better.

Minus a star for Clint Eastwood singing during the credits unless that's also his salute to "Paint your Wagon" in which case... thanks?

• BobJordan

★★★ Added by BobJordan 1

An extra half-star for Clint's grumpy character learning to love the people next door, regardless of their color.

And an extra half-star for getting to say "Get off my lawn!" in a way only Clint Eastwood could deliver it.

• Evil Shawna

★★½ Watched by Evil Shawna 12 Mar, 2014

Two hours of my life I'll never get back.

• mattmase

★★★ Watched by mattmase 12 Mar, 2014

Good but not great. Acting was a little weak by everyone besides Eastwood

• Michael Kastner

★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Kastner 10 Mar, 2014

Clint Eastwood spielt die Rolle als rassistischer, dauernörgelnder Misanthrop sehr gut. Auch die Wandlung ist glaubhaft dargestellt und das Ende haut ordentlich rein. Ruhiger, aber richtig guter Film.