• whitsbrain

★★★½ Watched by whitsbrain 10 Sep, 2014

This is a found footage spoof of paranormal reality shows like "Ghost Hunters" and it works very well. The story centers around the "Grave Encounters" crew who investigate a deserted and supposedly haunted mental hospital.

What works so well here is the setup. Most of the crew, particularly hot shot host Lance Preston (Sean Rogerson), are painted as manipulators of their audience. They scoff their way through interviews with people familiar with the seriously demented history of the hospital. Lance…

• Mike DeRuyter

★★ Added by Mike DeRuyter

There sure is a lot of crap on Netflix and other movie streaming sites. If you're the kind to willingly watch some of it, you can't go wrong with this very, very, very, very minor gem -- not really a gem, even, just a kind of polished stone, or maybe a bead of colored glass. The movie's main scare tactic is to make spooky faces with Photoshop or whatever that'll remind you of the kind of stupid, ostensibly "scary" shit…

• Rachel

★½ Watched by Rachel 07 Sep, 2014

Yet another found footage film. There are a couple of scares but the characters aren't fleshed out enough and overall it's extremely forgettable. I won't be watching the sequel.

• Pyrohemian

★★★½ Watched by Pyrohemian 19 Jun, 2014

Grave Encounters is an extremely entertaining viewing experience. Though it relies on age old scare cliches and predictable jump scares, a well balanced group of characters really bring life to what would otherwise be a boring story.

• Jaime Rodriguez

★★★★ Watched by Jaime Rodriguez 26 Aug, 2014

Está buena, hace que de cierta manera te metas a la atmosfera de la película. No me dio ningún susto grande pero después de verla me daba miedo salir al pasillo a oscuras con la lámpara de mi celular.

• Kerstin Kirby

★★★½ Watched by Kerstin Kirby 23 Aug, 2014

I'm quite pleased with this one. Sure, it used some cliche aspects of horror film, but there were also some cool her elements that I really enjoyed. I liked that the film established a legitimately scary tone without too many actual ghosts. The events taking place were so much more psychologically scarring than just a bunch of melting face spirits...although I enjoyed those as well. I found this movie to be interesting and tense throughout. Cool concept and good execution. The acting was below par, but that almost added to the delight. I'm excited to check out the sequel.

• MatthewLB

★★★★½ Watched by MatthewLB 13 Aug, 2014

Boo. The movie is about a members of a ghost-hunting reality program get more than they bargained for when they're locked in for the night at Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital - where the ghosts are very real and have no intention of letting the crew leave. This movie was scary when I first watched it and it creep's me out today and that is a plus.

• Mary R.

★★★★ Added by Mary R.

I seem to be in the minority when I say that I was thoroughly terrified by this movie. I thought the scares were well executed if you dont try to analyze the CGI. The plot was a great take on the haunted house tv show craze, and it was even funny, too.

• Steven Post

★★★ Rewatched by Steven Post 29 Jul, 2014

Lance Preston is set to conquer niche cable television with a ghost hunting program called Grave Encounters. As the first of its kind, they are using a very untested approach and trying to get something very new. In the process, they find themselves on the business end of a haunting that they don't believe even as it happens.

I stand by my prior original statements- it's a diversion to pique your interest for a little while, and then forget about…

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 27 Jul, 2014

The first half engaged me quite a bit, I was caught up in it, because the acting and premise was pretty solid. I also occasionally watch these ghosthunting TV shows it was playing off against, and it was amusing to see the psychic being obviously an act. The first half was a solid 7 for me.

However, when it got properly supernatural, and a little Silent Hill-lite, it really lost me, and I did find myself wishing it would just…

• Max Brown

★★★ Watched by Max Brown 14 Jul, 2014

This movie is great. While I'm not fond of the supernatural lost footage movies, this was still a lot of fun. The idea of it is pretty original, and there are definitely some scary moments. Each character plays a role of basically any character in a horror movie.

• Sean Frost

★★★ Watched by Sean Frost 06 Jul, 2014

One of a zillion found footage ghost movies, this one earns points by being about a ghost-seeking TV crew who don't think there's anything to find. It drags a bit near the end, but there's a nicely gradual escalation of supernatural doings before that and it sticks the ending fairly well.