• MatthewLB

★★★★½ Watched by MatthewLB 13 Aug, 2014

Boo. The movie is about a members of a ghost-hunting reality program get more than they bargained for when they're locked in for the night at Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital - where the ghosts are very real and have no intention of letting the crew leave. This movie was scary when I first watched it and it creep's me out today and that is a plus.

• Mary R.

★★★★ Added by Mary R.

I seem to be in the minority when I say that I was thoroughly terrified by this movie. I thought the scares were well executed if you dont try to analyze the CGI. The plot was a great take on the haunted house tv show craze, and it was even funny, too.

• Steven Post

★★★ Rewatched by Steven Post 29 Jul, 2014

Lance Preston is set to conquer niche cable television with a ghost hunting program called Grave Encounters. As the first of its kind, they are using a very untested approach and trying to get something very new. In the process, they find themselves on the business end of a haunting that they don't believe even as it happens.

I stand by my prior original statements- it's a diversion to pique your interest for a little while, and then forget about…

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 27 Jul, 2014

The first half engaged me quite a bit, I was caught up in it, because the acting and premise was pretty solid. I also occasionally watch these ghosthunting TV shows it was playing off against, and it was amusing to see the psychic being obviously an act. The first half was a solid 7 for me.

However, when it got properly supernatural, and a little Silent Hill-lite, it really lost me, and I did find myself wishing it would just…

• Max Brown

★★★ Watched by Max Brown 14 Jul, 2014

This movie is great. While I'm not fond of the supernatural lost footage movies, this was still a lot of fun. The idea of it is pretty original, and there are definitely some scary moments. Each character plays a role of basically any character in a horror movie.

• Sean Frost

★★★ Watched by Sean Frost 06 Jul, 2014

One of a zillion found footage ghost movies, this one earns points by being about a ghost-seeking TV crew who don't think there's anything to find. It drags a bit near the end, but there's a nicely gradual escalation of supernatural doings before that and it sticks the ending fairly well.

• p14

★★★ Added by p14

kinda scary if u like found footage genre...which i do alot

• anewchallenger

★★½ Added by anewchallenger

Good for a few laughs (some intentional, some not), but borrows a little too much from The Blair Witch Project and The House on Haunted Hill (remake). I don't mean in the general sense that there's found footage, but in literal shot-for-shot reenactments from both films. I couldn't help but compare Grave Encounters those films during those scenes.

Still, it was sometimes fun in that I hate those stupid ghost hunting shows and this does a decent job roasting them. And the horrible acting is suitable here for that reason, in a fun way. It was even a bit scary in a few spots!

• Kelly Magovern

★★★½ Watched by Kelly Magovern 11 Jun, 2014

I thought this was a pretty entertaining little found-footage horror movie. I always think old, creepy insane asylums are cool, so it had that going for it, as well.

• Naishra

★★ Watched by Naishra 05 Jun, 2014

This movie starts out very promising.
    The self-ironic touch of the setting is a great idea and takes the whole handhelm camera idea to another very interesting level. I also really got the chills when the movie plot developed to the darker areas. But a bit into the half of the film, it loses its charme and just becomes a horror movie cliche - which is sad, cause it began so very promising.
    Worth a watch on a night where there is nothing to do anyways.
    Propably better drunk.

• Stephanie

★★★½ Rewatched by Stephanie 28 May, 2014

One of the better found footage films. It has it's issues, but overall it's pretty solid.

• atmtc

★★★ Watched by atmtc 10 May, 2014

A Found Footage Weekend, part two

I hate those shows so much that I was really pleased that somebody with the same hate ratio about these crap though this script.
    Pretty entertaining!