• André Veiby

★★★ Added by André Veiby

I would say this is an underrated horror movie, for sure. It is an found-footage movie, so if you like ghost hunting movies and found footage, this is the movie for you.

• David Ashley

★★★ Watched by David Ashley 16 Nov, 2014

Good scares with no good reason for them (see also: Event Horizon).

• Matthew Christman

★★ Watched by Matthew Christman 31 Oct, 2014

Starts promising, wears out its welcome.

• Charlie Derry

★★★ Watched by Charlie Derry 22 Oct, 2014

A little annoying at the beginning and it certainly drags on at the end, but this horror had my hiding behind my pillow. It's your typical ghost hunter story with the usual bumps in the dark, but it puts a good twist on the premise and it keeps you on edge constantly.

• Mat S.

★★½ Watched by Mat S. 01 Nov, 2014

Maybe I've just seen too many horror (especially found footage type) but this wasn't all that scary. Kind of disappointed actually. Especially after the ton of people that talked it up to me.

• Cody

★★★★½ Rewatched by Cody 31 Oct, 2014

It was perfect watching this with my friends on Halloween itself... actually had them screaming!

• Sean Balanger

★★★ Watched by Sean Balanger 31 Oct, 2014

I'm as tired as most everyone else is with the found footage horror genre. I saw The Blair Witch Project in theaters in 1999. Before seeing the film, my dad and I went online to try to find out more information about these people that supposedly went missing in the woods and as far as we could tell the film was real. Going to see that film thinking that it was something that really happened was probably one of my…

• st_christophr

★★★★ Rewatched by st_christophr 30 Oct, 2014

probably the best framing device for a found footage movie you could ask for, Grave Encounters is ostensibly an edit of raw footage from the shoot of one of the now-ubiquitous ghost hunting reality TV shows, letting the filmmakers wave away the usual criticism criticism of the subgenre, "Why are You Still Filming This," with the answer "Coverage, man."

The film feels for all the world like a send up of the found-footage trope at first, which makes the eventual…

• Mark

★★½ Rewatched by Mark 29 Oct, 2014 2

Rarely have I seen a film that changes so distinctly and completely in quality between its first and second halves. For its first 45 minutes, the film manages to build decent tension and even be a little witty. And yet as soon as the horror elements start, the whole thing goes to shit. Each scare is hokier and more derivative than the last, and the plot devolves into what feels like half an hour of disconnected sketches.

I'll say 4/5 for the first half, 1/5 for the second, and average the two.

• Erin

★★ Watched by Erin 26 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• dogunderwater

★★★ Watched by dogunderwater 25 Oct, 2014

Okay, I love dumb ghost hunting shows so I loved the conceit of this movie, and thought it did a great job of building suspense. Such a great job, in fact, that the few actual ~apparitions~ that we see are a let down. Could have used fewer ghosts and more of the weird creepy shit that just builds and builds as the cast finds themselves totally trapped in an asylum that won't give them up. Maybe the anticipation was the most delicious part of this film but I enjoyed it.

• John

★★★½ Rewatched by John 23 Oct, 2014

I'm a sucker for a good abandoned insane asylum flick and Grave Encounters is just the right balance of spooky ass atmosphere and insane visuals.