• Sean Balanger

★★★ Watched by Sean Balanger 31 Oct, 2014

I'm as tired as most everyone else is with the found footage horror genre. I saw The Blair Witch Project in theaters in 1999. Before seeing the film, my dad and I went online to try to find out more information about these people that supposedly went missing in the woods and as far as we could tell the film was real. Going to see that film thinking that it was something that really happened was probably one of my…

• st_christophr

★★★★ Rewatched by st_christophr 30 Oct, 2014

probably the best framing device for a found footage movie you could ask for, Grave Encounters is ostensibly an edit of raw footage from the shoot of one of the now-ubiquitous ghost hunting reality TV shows, letting the filmmakers wave away the usual criticism criticism of the subgenre, "Why are You Still Filming This," with the answer "Coverage, man."

The film feels for all the world like a send up of the found-footage trope at first, which makes the eventual…

• Mark

★★½ Rewatched by Mark 29 Oct, 2014 2

Rarely have I seen a film that changes so distinctly and completely in quality between its first and second halves. For its first 45 minutes, the film manages to build decent tension and even be a little witty. And yet as soon as the horror elements start, the whole thing goes to shit. Each scare is hokier and more derivative than the last, and the plot devolves into what feels like half an hour of disconnected sketches.

I'll say 4/5 for the first half, 1/5 for the second, and average the two.

• Erin

★★ Watched by Erin 26 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• dogunderwater

★★★ Watched by dogunderwater 25 Oct, 2014

Okay, I love dumb ghost hunting shows so I loved the conceit of this movie, and thought it did a great job of building suspense. Such a great job, in fact, that the few actual ~apparitions~ that we see are a let down. Could have used fewer ghosts and more of the weird creepy shit that just builds and builds as the cast finds themselves totally trapped in an asylum that won't give them up. Maybe the anticipation was the most delicious part of this film but I enjoyed it.

• John

★★★½ Rewatched by John 23 Oct, 2014

I'm a sucker for a good abandoned insane asylum flick and Grave Encounters is just the right balance of spooky ass atmosphere and insane visuals.

• silenttom

★★★½ Watched by silenttom 24 Oct, 2014

Found footage is a tricky genre. As seen with the first half of Grave Encounters, the acting and plotting can be mediocrely exposited. We get a decent sense of who these characters are, but they aren't all that dimensional. It's not uncommon for found footage films to have such familiar and labored character set ups. That being said... the tension that the second half of this film delivers is some of the most intensely frightening scenes I've seen in some…

• Jack Dignan

★★★ Watched by Jack Dignan 24 Oct, 2014

I'm not going to lie, I had fun with this film. I went it with incredibly low expectations, but came out pleasantly surprised by it. Sure, the found footage aspect is annoying as hell, and the characters are douchey, and the screenplay is rubbish, but it can be fairly creepy when it wants to be, and that's all I wanted.

• Trevania

Watched by Trevania 23 Oct, 2014

I jumped once, once, and I hate myself for it.

• ganjer

★★★★ Watched by ganjer 21 Oct, 2014

Surprisingly, it's kind of brilliant.

• Brian

★★½ Watched by Brian 20 Oct, 2014

The Blair Witch Legacy - loud assholes swinging cameras around getting slowly more terrified and scream-y.

And then the camera falls to the ground and has fake digitizing happen.

• SmokeTNT