• silenttom

★★★½ Watched by silenttom 24 Oct, 2014

Found footage is a tricky genre. As seen with the first half of Grave Encounters, the acting and plotting can be mediocrely exposited. We get a decent sense of who these characters are, but they aren't all that dimensional. It's not uncommon for found footage films to have such familiar and labored character set ups. That being said... the tension that the second half of this film delivers is some of the most intensely frightening scenes I've seen in some…

• Jack Dignan

★★★ Added by Jack Dignan

I'm not going to lie, I had fun with this film. I went it with incredibly low expectations, but came out pleasantly surprised by it. Sure, the found footage aspect is annoying as hell, and the characters are douchey, and the screenplay is rubbish, but it can be fairly creepy when it wants to be, and that's all I wanted.

• Trevania

Watched by Trevania 23 Oct, 2014

I jumped once, once, and I hate myself for it.

• ganjer09

★★★★ Watched by ganjer09 21 Oct, 2014

Surprisingly, it's kind of brilliant.

• Brian

★★½ Watched by Brian 20 Oct, 2014

The Blair Witch Legacy - loud assholes swinging cameras around getting slowly more terrified and scream-y.

And then the camera falls to the ground and has fake digitizing happen.

• SmokeTNT

★★½ Watched by SmokeTNT 20 Oct, 2014

2.5/5

• Alexander Huls

★★ Watched by Alexander Huls 19 Oct, 2014

"Fuck you," says a character into his video camera, and to us, at one point in the movie. While I may not share the same degree of anger he did, needless to say I returned a quite similar sentiment back to GRAVE ENCOUNTERS once it decided to detour from a promising start into Shitsville.

• Patrick Walsh

★★ Watched by Patrick Walsh 18 Oct, 2014

I was convinced to watch this film after hearing about the scene with the Mexican maintenance man. Unfortunately it ended up being the best part of the film. Really liked the entrance - changing scene

• Marna Larsen

★★★ Added by Marna Larsen

So, this one was fairly predictable in that it was broken up into maybe four parts: part one, where the characters are just smug and douchey enough so that you want something terrible to happen to them, part two, where nothing happens, part three, where something happens but it's just jump scares and people yelling at each other (and calling attention to the fact that they are still filming all this awfulness when really, it should be brought up as…

• Andrew Furtado

★★★ Watched by Andrew Furtado 17 Oct, 2014 1

I really liked this movie more than I thought I would. I like it so much I wanted to share it with my roommate. He too was pleasantly surprised at this well crafted parody of a ghost hunter show.

Although it gets a little corny at the end with poor graphics coverups that insult the viewers... by the last 20 minutes you're basically being told "BE SCARED NOW" and it's really annoying. I'll get scared at what I want.

• sharpelbows

★½ Watched by sharpelbows 16 Oct, 2014

This movie was recommended because of my enjoyment of the Blair Witch Project. It has promise as a story, but ultimately it just never delivers anything new in the "found footage" genre.

• PetMice72

★★★½ Watched by PetMice72 11 Oct, 2014

A "found footage" movie. A paranormal investigation team checks out a mental hospital closed since the 1960's for an episode of their television show. While there are better horror movies out there, I was impressed by the fact that this movie did put a small number of genuine scares into me and gave me goosebumps at other times. I say this because few horror movies at this point have such an effect on me anymore. I was sure to watch this with no lights turned on and the volume turned up. Definitely recommended to anyone who has not seen it before.