• Guillermo Bosque

★★★★ Added by Guillermo Bosque

Summary: In spite of being a very flawed film, "Grave Encounters" deserves credit for its terrific scares, its claustrophobic setting and lots of unforgettable moments. 85/100 [B+]

For their ghost hunting reality show, a production crew locks themselves inside an abandoned mental hospital that's supposedly haunted - and it might prove to be all too true. Grave Encounters is written and directed by The Vicious Brothers, and i have to admit that in spite of its flaws, it's one of…

• Alan Acevedo

Added by Alan Acevedo

Grave Encounters en el mundo del cine de terror es el equivalente a los hot-dogs del 7Eleven en el mundo de la gastronomía. Es basura, pero consumirla no te hará daño.

• Suprrman51

★★★ Watched by Suprrman51 20 Sep, 2014

This movie was pretty fuckin' cool. Feels like it takes a while before shit starts to go crazy but if you're patient it gets pretty awesome.

• Chris Stanton

★★½ Watched by Chris Stanton 18 Sep, 2014

A mixed bag of familiar elements with a few interesting twists sprinkled in. Pretty uneventful until about the halfway mark, when the action really starts. The characters are mostly annoying, but Rogerson makes a solid impression as the shallow host who gets the rug pulled out from under him and finally cracks.

There are echoes of plenty of other better films here, from The Blair Witch Project to Session 9 to The House on Haunted Hill remake, but this one is worth a look if you're curious.

• whitsbrain

★★★½ Watched by whitsbrain 10 Sep, 2014

This is a found footage spoof of paranormal reality shows like "Ghost Hunters" and it works very well. The story centers around the "Grave Encounters" crew who investigate a deserted and supposedly haunted mental hospital.

What works so well here is the setup. Most of the crew, particularly hot shot host Lance Preston (Sean Rogerson), are painted as manipulators of their audience. They scoff their way through interviews with people familiar with the seriously demented history of the hospital. Lance…

• M.A. DeRuyter

★★ Added by M.A. DeRuyter

There sure is a lot of crap on Netflix and other movie streaming sites. If you're the kind to willingly watch some of it, you can't go wrong with this very, very, very, very minor gem -- not really a gem, even, just a kind of polished stone, or maybe a bead of colored glass. The movie's main scare tactic is to make spooky faces with Photoshop or whatever that'll remind you of the kind of stupid, ostensibly "scary" shit…

• Rachel

★½ Watched by Rachel 07 Sep, 2014

Yet another found footage film. There are a couple of scares but the characters aren't fleshed out enough and overall it's extremely forgettable. I won't be watching the sequel.

• Pyrohemian

★★★½ Watched by Pyrohemian 19 Jun, 2014

Grave Encounters is an extremely entertaining viewing experience. Though it relies on age old scare cliches and predictable jump scares, a well balanced group of characters really bring life to what would otherwise be a boring story.

• Jaime Rodriguez

★★★★ Watched by Jaime Rodriguez 26 Aug, 2014

Está buena, hace que de cierta manera te metas a la atmosfera de la película. No me dio ningún susto grande pero después de verla me daba miedo salir al pasillo a oscuras con la lámpara de mi celular.

• Kerstin Kirby

★★★½ Watched by Kerstin Kirby 23 Aug, 2014

I'm quite pleased with this one. Sure, it used some cliche aspects of horror film, but there were also some cool her elements that I really enjoyed. I liked that the film established a legitimately scary tone without too many actual ghosts. The events taking place were so much more psychologically scarring than just a bunch of melting face spirits...although I enjoyed those as well. I found this movie to be interesting and tense throughout. Cool concept and good execution. The acting was below par, but that almost added to the delight. I'm excited to check out the sequel.

• MatthewLB

★★★★½ Watched by MatthewLB 13 Aug, 2014

Boo. The movie is about a members of a ghost-hunting reality program get more than they bargained for when they're locked in for the night at Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital - where the ghosts are very real and have no intention of letting the crew leave. This movie was scary when I first watched it and it creep's me out today and that is a plus.

• Mary R.

★★★★ Added by Mary R.

I seem to be in the minority when I say that I was thoroughly terrified by this movie. I thought the scares were well executed if you dont try to analyze the CGI. The plot was a great take on the haunted house tv show craze, and it was even funny, too.