• Ruth

★★★ Watched by Ruth 28 Jul, 2014 2

Competently directed by Greengrass, enough to slot in seamlessly with the rest of his 21st century oeuvre. Matt Damon as with the Bourne films is well cast and certainly brings it.

However, when you are willing to advertise your film with a blurring of the lines between fiction and reality, and present an already controversial story with a new level of misleading controversy, you'll be marked down. A lot of elements here don't work at all in terms of realism,…

• André Belo

★★★★ Watched by André Belo 11 Aug, 2014

There was a lie, told and spread by the Bush Administration after the events of September 11, 2001, which was part of a military intervention in Iraq. This fine film by Paul Greengrass exposes some part of the conspiracy that carried out that same intervention, under false pretenses. Once again, the Greengrass/Damon partnership works nicely.

• Ryan Abbott

★½ Watched by Ryan Abbott 17 Jan, 2014

The "Green Zone" I personally have to say that this movie was trying to aggravate me with shaking cam throughout the whole movie. Plus, some slow parts that will make anyone lose interest. The performances, directing were okay. The score is good. And the effects are outstanding. "I'm raving that this movies is so absurd it's unreal!!!"

• MatthewLB

★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 30 Jul, 2014

Matt Damon plays a U.S. officer looking for the truth in Iraq. When faulty information and the failure of covert operations uncover a different truth, he goes rogue, hoping to track down the truth on his own. I always have a thing about Paul Greengrass movies and that is that look and the feel of it, and what I mean about that is his movies always have that this is happen and it is bad like his other films and…

• Amy Ashdown

★★★½ Watched by Amy Ashdown 20 Jul, 2014

Paul Greengrass is no doubt talented at amping up suspense and thrills, and in Green Zone he more or less succeeds. However, the dialogue is uninspiring and the characters are two-dimensional. I also feel that Greengrass doesn't go far enough into the conspiracy behind WMD (or lack thereof) in Iraq. It feels a bit safe. Green Zone builds to a nice conclusion and runs along at a good pace despite its 2hr running time, but something just didn't click for me. Jason Isaacs' facial hair should have won awards.

• UberReviews

★★★ Rewatched by UberReviews 19 Jul, 2014

A pretty generic thriller considering the talent involved.
    Mildly entertaining that being said.

6/10
    Blu-ray picture 8/10

• TajLV

★★★ Added by TajLV

And where exactly were those Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) that got America into Iraq? That’s the question this movie asks, and answers, in 115 minutes of non-stop military-action drama. Matt Damon is perfectly cast as officer Roy Miller on a one-man mission to find those WMD. I liked the use of Iraqi language and subtitles throughout to give it realism, although the subjective camerawork was a bit over done. If you like testosterone-fueled films, see it for sure. But don’t look for a romantic subplot. There’s only one minor female role, a WSJ reporter played by Amy Ryan, amid a sea of gun-toting guys.

• Cityzen Kano

★★★ Watched by Cityzen Kano 16 May, 2014 4

For a thriller set in the middle of a war zone there is a distinct lack of tension in Green Zone. Paul Greengrass mistakenly swaps well designed action set-pieces for shaky camera control with the aim of creating a realistic view of events on the ground. He has always been accused of overusing the handheld style and this film only helps to reinforce that idea.

Greengrass plays it more like a secret agent film than a war based saga, the…

• JaySalahi

★★★ Watched by JaySalahi 08 Jan, 2014

(81)

B-

• Mark C

★★★ Rewatched by Mark C 03 May, 2014

I had started out this evening watching The Great Gatsby but that got jibbed after about 30 minutes. I'm not normally the harshest critic of Baz Luhrmann's visually opulent style - way back in 2001 I could not believe people were walking out of the cinema less than 10 minutes in to Moulin Rouge - but this was just too much tonight. The advances in CGI since '01 however made this offering look way too much like an Xbox game…

• Declan

★★½ Added by Declan

The aftermath of the Second Gulf War and the search for WMDs provides the backdrop for a surprisingly toothless thriller, given the talent involved. Well-staged and action-packed, but offering little to engage the brain - I suspect the makers had more interesting discussions about it all off-camera than they managed to put on film.

• Fesapo