• Josh Crabb

★★★★ Watched by Josh Crabb 21 May, 2015

For a movie about living among Grizzly Bears, there is a lot of humanity.

Full recommendation at Reel World Theology for Netflix Your Weekend: www.reelworldtheology.com/netflix-your-weekend-grizzly-man/

• Freeman Williams

★★★★ Watched by Freeman Williams 19 May, 2015

Werner Herzog draws together video footage shot over years and interviews with friends and family to tell the story of Timothy Treadwell, a self-described advocate for the grizzly bears of ALaska, spending every summer living among them, and getting dangerously - some would say insanely - close to them. He was eventually killed and eaten by one, though, as Herzog notes, it wasn't one of the bears he had spent years bonding with.

Treadwell is an interesting, complex person, but…

• Lyndell Clark

★★★★★ Rewatched by Lyndell Clark 19 May, 2015

One of my favorite docs.

• ReedRothchild

★★★★ Watched by ReedRothchild 17 May, 2015

Grizzly Man features the director's voiceover constantly outlining and reiterating its themes and his interpretation of the central tragedy. In many cases this would be a negative but not all documentaries are put together by Werner Herzog.

In many ways this is an obvious film. Not only in terms of Herzog's philosophising but also with the fact that so much of Treadwell's performance foreshadows his death in a big way. This isn't a happy coincidence--I'm sure during the 100 or…

• Kevin Collins

★★★ Watched by Kevin Collins 14 May, 2015

Film #14 of the "Scavenger Hunt" Challenge!
    Task #27: A film about animals/wildlife attacking!
    letterboxd.com/kcoll001/list/scavenger-hunt/

Magnifies, recounts, and interprets the tragic tale of Timothy Treadwell. It’s unclear whether Treadwell was naïve, delusional, suicidal, or just nihilistically indifferent to living. Perhaps he possessed a combination of these maladies. The message felt a bit muddled, but I appreciate the film’s attempt to create a complex portrait of a man who many were quick to disregard as a lunatic or fanatic who was…

• Tom Morton

★★★★½ Rewatched by Tom Morton 16 May, 2015 3

This is one of the great documentaries, and having Herzog's infamous "significant bullet" interview on the DVD extras is the icing on the cake. Those foxes steal every scene they're in, though. They should get a spin-off called Foxy Man. Or just Foxy Fox, I guess, since there is no longer a man.

I don't rewatch stuff all that often, and returning for a second look at a documentary is rarer still, but I get the feeling Grizzly Man will always have something new to offer.

• Colin Creasy

★★★ Watched by Colin Creasy 03 May, 2015

Although it has several very interesting parts, the overall piece was far less compelling than I expected.

• rorystevenson

★★★★½ Watched by rorystevenson 09 May, 2015

What's good about Grizzly Man is that Werner Herzog potrays Timothy Treadwell's story in such a beautiful way. He finds meaning in some of Treadwell's footage that the ordinary observer may not have found. It's a really fantastic film.

• Aidananan

★★★★½ Watched by Aidananan 10 May, 2015

Fuck.

• MichaelDelBay

★★★★★ Watched by MichaelDelBay 09 May, 2015

A beautiful and emotionally devastating biographical documentary.

• S_MTX

★★★½ Watched by S_MTX 09 May, 2015

Some of the interview subjects sound like their answers are disingenious, like they read off of a TelePrompTer. It feels so damn impersonal that it really distracts me, especially since the main subject is filled with so much life and energy. But regardless it's still really fascinating.

• escott

★★★ Watched by escott 05 May, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Assignment - 80% Rotten Tomatoes

This was fine. Somewhat interesting. The fox/hat chasing scene was amusing.

Makes you think about the differences between this guy and Jane Goodall. Do gorillas eat people or simply crush their brains out..? and of course, this was a dude rather than some young, attractive blond girl.

They made a big deal of not seeing the girlfriend on film - taking you methodically through the supposed only two shots. Then 1/2 hour later, she's centered…