• slyman

★★★★ Watched by slyman 17 Apr, 2015

"I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility, and murder." - Herzpg

Film #27 (A film about animals/wildlife attacking!) of my Scavenger Hunt Challenge!

I Pledge To Watch These Damn Movies THIS Damn Year. How about you? #18 of 100

Two word review: Barely believable

• Maria

★★★★ Added by Maria

How surreal it is to see all this footage of this incredible and fascinating man, to see Timothy Treadwell only a few hours before his death, to see his continuous love and adoration for bears. And even then, he still remains a sort of mystery, having created a persona, shaping the way he is seen. Werner Herzog created quite a doc!

• Claude

★★★★½ Added by Claude

85/100
    Documentary tries (and mostly succeeds in) making sense of a man who decided to live among grizzly bears in Alaska for a few months every year. The filmmakers had over 100 hours of footage shot by the subject to use, and it yields both beautiful animal footage and plenty of psychological insight into Timothy Treadwell himself. The result is an opinionated but fair, fascinating portrait. As always, Herzog's narration adds much flavour.

• Reece Leonard

★★★★½ Added by Reece Leonard 1

With an utterly mesmerizing subject, Herzog chooses to position the film as if it were a conversation between two kindred spirits. Due to this approach, Treadwell's bizarre actions are never mocked or demonized; this respect allows the film to transcend its genre to become something truly special.

• mahandhi

★★★½ Rewatched by mahandhi 10 Apr, 2015

Hele boeiende film. Heb hem nu voor de 2de keer gezien, en ik vind het een ontzettend intrigerend verhaal. Het blijft bij een zoektocht, en vragen. Maar ze worden wel zeer mooi gesteld.

• Phil Sternwise

★★★½ Added by Phil Sternwise

When you go to Alaska, DO NOT eat anything from the Legume family of plants (Into the Wild) and DO NOT fuck with the bears. You will die.

• Jordan Mackay

★★★½ Watched by Jordan Mackay 03 Apr, 2015

Timothy Treadwell was a misguided, dillusional and ultimately selfish idiot. It seems like Herzog realises this, yet Grizzly Man is still respectful.

• chthonicalaric

★★★★ Watched by chthonicalaric 02 Apr, 2015

"I'm in love with my animal friends." -Timothy Treadwell

"I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility, and murder." -Werner Herzog

Only an unsentimental worldview could both reveal Treadwell's delusional zealotry and show respect for the man's blind, idealistic passion.

• RickyHaze

★★★ Added by RickyHaze

A unique and at times uncomfortable look at the "work" of Timothy Treadwell. I hate to be cruel, but I just don't think there is a story here- ultimately Grizzly Man is just footage of an unstable man who never realized just how much danger he was in. Treadwell seemed to be a nice guy with good intentions and it's easy to sympathize with him, but it was clear that he was just surviving with the Bears, not living. He…

• Andrew Robinson

★★★½ Watched by Andrew Robinson 29 Mar, 2015

Do you watch this as a question of Tredwell's sanity? morals? life at the time?

Or do you see it as Herzog does? A fascination of a man who shows us another world, whether he should have been there and understood it or not?

• Austin Bryant

★★★★ Watched by Austin Bryant 27 Mar, 2015

What a beautiful, strange, somehow simultaniously tragic and uplifting, and truly riveting film.

Second Herzog film Ive seen... Liked Stroszek better.

• feedingbrett

★★★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 25 Mar, 2015 6

Included In Lists:
    Great Movies

Review In A Nutshell:

My experience of documentaries have never been an enthusiastic one, granted I do have affection for films like Grey Gardens, The Thin Blue Line, and Hearts of Darkness; but despite their effective construction and interesting subjects, the characters that dominates the frame have never made a significant mark on me, that is until I stumbled upon The Times of Harvey Milk. That was the film that showed me how effective documentaries…