• Keaton B

★★★★★ Watched by Keaton B 20 Feb, 2015

Grizzly man Timothy Treadwell has much in common with the "protagonists" of Werner Herzog's other films such as Walter Steiner, Dieter Dengler and Bruno Stroszek. Herzog seems to be fascinated with passionate oddballs who take on challenging endeavors far above their capacity.

Much of Grizzly Man consists of footage taken by Treadwell himself. It's quite real and harrowing and goes to places most nature docs don't. Threadwell clearly love animals, but is far too naive to comprehend that they may…

• Harrison Miller

★★★★★ Watched by Harrison Miller 16 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

An honest look into the motivations and personality of Timothy Treawell. This film is a roller coaster of emotions. One can find themselves laughing, angry, and terribly saddened by the events that are caught by Treadwell and Herzog. The viewer finds Treadwell at first to be a slightly egotistical maniac, but later finds that this life is the only way for him to exist on earth. It's his vice.
    Herzog studies the friends of Treadwell as well, capturing their reactions…

• nateperkins

★★★★★ Watched by nateperkins 15 Feb, 2015

A brilliant and touching look into humanity. Incredible footage from Treadwell's expeditions, and of course beautifully orchestrated interviews that provide more than a view of the people and their connection with Treadwell: Grizzly Man provides a glimpse into human nature. It explores what drives us, what makes us love, what makes us hate, what inspires us, and what frightens us. Beautifully compiled and expertly presented.

What a fascinating story.

• Shayne Bowden

★★★★ Watched by Shayne Bowden 15 Feb, 2015

Awesome Herzog documentary. A masterful observation of the absurdity of human self-importance. Remarkable that for someone who was so contemptuous of human beings Timothy Treadwell ultimately projected the most pathetic aspects of the human state upon the animals he supposedly cared for and found solace in. Maybe the moral of the story is to not end up in Alasaka by way of Los Angeles.....

• ChadS101

★★★★★ Watched by ChadS101 14 Feb, 2015

The Treadwell story was intriguing and scripted to be a movie. The documentary walked you through every aspect of Treadwell to the point where your opinion of him changed constantly. Was he an activist or a publicity hound? Was he passionate or just mad? The documentary also did not shy away from his faults and did not negatively portray his opponents, which separated it from other documentaries. Five stars may seem too high, but this is the best documentary I have seen.

• Joel H

★★★★½ Watched by Joel H 04 Feb, 2015

My girlfriend walked in halfway through and thought I was watching a found footage comedy horror film - so bizarre is the behaviour displayed in this saddening, scary documentary.

• Thom Loudon

★★★★½ Watched by Thom Loudon 13 Feb, 2015

The Michelle Pfeiffer of documentary films

• COBRARocky

★★★★ Watched by COBRARocky 10 Feb, 2015 2

Probably the funniest movie ever made.

• Philip Schmidt

★★★½ Rewatched by Philip Schmidt 08 Feb, 2015 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Stranger than I had remembered and also much more redundant. The main thesis is pretty clear early on and the evidence just piles up.

Herzog cleverly leaves in a few surprises for the final half hour, including the only scene that I could vividly remember from a decade ago: Herzog listening to a tape of Treadwell and Amy's violent death in front of Treadwell's friend and former lover, clearly weeping, and then advising her to destroy this tape and never listen to it. Makes me well up even describing it.

• Andy F.

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andy F. 07 Feb, 2015

Rewatched for the first time in a few years. For some reason I remembered there being a part where Timothy Treadwell said he was gangraped by a group of men when he was in college. Did I just make that up? If so why the hell would I make that up? Anyone else hear of that?

Anyway, it holds up extremely well. Treadwell is a classic Herzog character, in the lineage of Fitzcarraldo and Lope De Aguirre. A man taken…

• Thorin Mofdaat

★★★★★ Added by Thorin Mofdaat

I watched this two days ago and just today find myself bothered by the scene where Werner Herzog listens to the audio recording of Timothy and Amy's deaths. The story and footage from Timothy's expeditions are amazing and like a documentary screaming to be made. Werner Herzog was the perfect director to make this film with it. I've never seen a documentary this good.

• afmm

★★★½ Watched by afmm 05 Feb, 2015

Esta llena de dramatizaciones, y sin embargo, lo mas ridículo de la película es real.

Idiota.