• Austin Bryant

★★★★ Watched by Austin Bryant 27 Mar, 2015

What a beautiful, strange, somehow simultaniously tragic and uplifting, and truly riveting film.

Second Herzog film Ive seen... Liked Stroszek better.

• feedingbrett

★★★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 25 Mar, 2015 6

Included In Lists:
    Great Movies

Review In A Nutshell:

My experience of documentaries have never been an enthusiastic one, granted I do have affection for films like Grey Gardens, The Thin Blue Line, and Hearts of Darkness; but despite their effective construction and interesting subjects, the characters that dominates the frame have never made a significant mark on me, that is until I stumbled upon The Times of Harvey Milk. That was the film that showed me how effective documentaries…

• Conrado Falco

★★★★½ Watched by Conrado Falco 21 Mar, 2015

This is it. This is where our current notion of who is (and how we parody) Werner Herzog comes from.

First of all, Herzog is a masterful documentarian. Outright embracing the notion that no film can ever be objective, he comes out with a very strong point of view, but doesn't let his thinking overwhelm the film.

It's because this movie is a dialogue between Treadwell's footage (acquired over many summers living with the bears), and Herzog's manipulation of the…

• Mrchef

Watched by Mrchef 19 Mar, 2015

Simply amazing. Herzog brings the truth. Never sympathizing with Treadwell, but always understanding him, Herzog makes one of the most mesmerizing films ever.

• Scott D'Agostino

★★★★★ Watched by Scott D'Agostino 17 Mar, 2015

One of the best documentaries I've seen and one of the most haunting too. That scene where Werner Herzog is listening to Timothy and Amy's death is the stuff that nightmares are made of.

• Kate B.

★★★½ Watched by Kate B. 14 Mar, 2015

This movie was totally different from what I was expecting. Or rather, the main character was totally different. I had always pictured a "mountain man" as the main character, some rugged man with a beard and maybe a beer in one hand. Timothy Treadwell was not any of those things; he was a Long Island boy with a lot of emotions and apparently not much knowledge of living off the land, before he started living with bears.

I suppose watching…

• Lucas Barwenczik

Rewatched by Lucas Barwenczik 07 Mar, 2015

Grizzlies sind ja gut und schön - groß, haarig, können mit einer einfachen Bewegung deine Wirbelsäule in der Landschaft verteilen.
    Aber die kommen nicht einmal Ansatzweise an die Augen von diesem Gerichtsmediziner heran. Noch jetzt sehe ich sie in der Dunkelheit, wenn ich meine Lider schließe. Sie beobachten mich... sie sehen alles.

• Gramercy Riff

★★★½ Watched by Gramercy Riff 06 Mar, 2015

True story of a life gone wild, according to the poster. You might even say it's about a life gone bad. I'm sure Treadwell is truly fond of these animals, but his aversion towards normal society seems bigger and probably the thing that fuelled his 'love' for grizzlies in the first place. The guy starts too many sentences with 'I', started to believe in his own delusions, was out of control in dealing with these animals and was just as…

• William Kretschmer

★★★★ Watched by William Kretschmer 01 Sep, 2011

A documentary on grizzly bear activists Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard, who were killed in October of 2003 while living among grizzlies in Alaska.
    Largely using Timothy Treadwell's own footage this is a fascinating and at times disturbing analysis of a man living (and dying) on the fringe.

• Red Ford

★★★★ Watched by Red Ford 26 Feb, 2015

werner's narration and the foxes stole the show.

• Matt Ellis

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Ellis 28 Feb, 2015

"I have seen this madness on a film set before"

• PauloCesar79

★★★★½ Watched by PauloCesar79 28 Feb, 2015

Werner Herzog takes here the hours of filming from environmentalist Bears Guard in Alaska, Timothy Treadwell, and transformed into a documentary, exciting, tragic, tense. Where love to nature, the brown bears of Alaska, loneliness, isolation ..and exceeded limits between human-animal both physically and emotionally, are moving towards a tragic end, but not surprising. The splintered personality Timothy comes up ... your motives are pure and naive. But nature, punishes and creates no middle terms. It is clear in the story…