• Adam Cadre

★★★½ Watched by Adam Cadre 13 Mar, 2006

• Windyblue

★★★★ Added by Windyblue

Warning:
    Victim blaming (got what he deserved)
    Misogyny (interviewee says Huguenard was killed because Treadwell *brought* her, and got her killed. Especially when we specifically know that she could have gotten away and she chose to stay there trying to save Treadwell during the attack.)
    Ableism (the bears didn't kill Treadwell because he was "intellectually disabled, or something, probably")
    Ableist slurs (r-word)

"Drug use makes you mixed up with bad people, and mixed up with guns" WTF are you even…

• Tim Ehrens

★★★★★ Watched by Tim Ehrens 13 Sep, 2014

Timothy Treadwell was either a true naturalist, a true believer in saving and protecting these bears or a profoundly silly and stupid man.

I think the reality lies somewhere in between, and Werner Herzog's extraordinary documentary toes this line ever so finely.

I thought this was one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, not only for it's natural beauty in displaying the wild Alaskan wilderness but also for it's balanced storytelling in showing Treadwell's good qualities and faults that…

• Richard F

★★★★ Watched by Richard F 05 Apr, 2014

Man, I really liked this movie. This might actually be my favorite Herzog documentary thus far. The story of a man who lived in the wild with bears, who thought of himself as a conservationist and as someone who tried to help protect them and was eventually eaten by them.

In addition to the man's story being touching and sad (the scene in which Herzog listens to the audio tape of his death will stick with me forever, I think), there is some really fantastic footage of the bears.

• Psycle

★★★★★ Watched by Psycle 06 Sep, 2014 1

R.I.P. Tim Treadwell inspiration to all crazy animal people.

• Gonzo

★★★★★ Watched by Gonzo 03 Sep, 2014

Amazing, beautiful, extraordinary

• Simon Crookston

★★★★½ Watched by Simon Crookston 24 Aug, 2014

A truly fascinating character with a hypnotic voice and strange workd choice and that's just Werner Herzog.

• Kev

★★★★ Added by Kev

Great documentary about a man who lived in the wilds of Alaska to watch over the local bear population. Check it out! Definitely not a circlejerk of people complimenting him over his valor.

• fuguette

★★★½ Watched by fuguette 08 Apr, 2012

I love Herzog’s sensitivity and curiosity toward the subject. I couldn’t help but admire Tim Treadwell for doing exactly what he wanted, but I think the doc also, interestingly, begs the question of whether or not it was all a manic performance covering up something else he refused to face.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★★★ Watched by Grant Fitzgerald 12 Aug, 2014

A near perfect uncensored study of human nature. I love that Werner Herzog creates his own opinion Timothy Treadwell, neither admiring nor condemning him.

• butchji

★★★½ Watched by butchji 14 Aug, 2014

I can feel the poop! It's warm! It just came from her butt! This was just inside of her. My girl! I'm touching it!...Everything about them is perfect! - Timothy Treadwell

Herzog finally found someone more insane than Kinski.

• Jude Seymour

★★★ Watched by Jude Seymour 16 Feb, 2006

About halfway through "Grizzly Man," Timothy Treadwell says he wishes he was gay. It would make life so much easier, he said, because, in his mind, gay guys just fuck and forget it. And the women that he dates tend to fall for him.

It's this kind of unchecked observation that reveals both Treadwell's stream of consciousness mode of operation and his just amazing self-absorption. We're treated to several of these, but most revolve around his insistence that he is…