• Reid

★★★★ Added by Reid

A truly fascinating look at an interesting person. Grizzly Man is heartbreaking while managing to be both thought-provoking and informative.

Note: I do not watch many documentaries, so my rating is more than likely a guess. Either way, I recommend the film to those who appreciate nature.

• Tyro Jones

★★★★★ Watched by Tyro Jones 22 Jan, 2015

Wow.

• Ethan Warren

★★★★ Watched by Ethan Warren 07 May, 2013

This movie broke my heart. Timothy Treadwell was so clearly emotionally unstable, and he never got the help he needed, even if he didn't seem to want it. As a movie, it's gripping from beginning to end, but it took it out of me emotionally.

• Elliot Fane

★★★★ Rewatched by Elliot Fane 14 Jan, 2015

A very interesting documentary about the life and exploration of a strange individual. Werner Herzog adds so much to the footage of Timothy Treadwell's days spent with bears. I recommend!

• euanmarshall

★★★ Watched by euanmarshall 14 Jan, 2015

Finally caught up with this, and it really is quite a peculiar piece of work. For most of the film I was asking myself how much was genuine, such is its over-the-top nature. I found myself laughing far more than I probably should have, The concept is genius though, with Herzog coming across Treadwell's "film" and seeing something behind the wildlife aspect. Treadwell is clearly acting for most of his segments, but when that veil slips and he exposes his tortured mind, it becomes really fascinating.

• Ed Glendenning

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ed Glendenning 15 Jan, 2015

Not since seeing One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest for the first time have I been so moved by a film.

• nici

★★ Added by nici

Thought it was interesting but oh my god it would not end, so much of it was so unnecessary and Timothy himself was so unlikeable.

• Clark Kent

★★ Watched by Clark Kent 07 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• area51

★★★★ Added by area51

Great documentary.

• Courtney Cheshire

★★★★ Watched by Courtney Cheshire 03 Jan, 2015

Tragic and fascinating. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen, most likely due to Timothy Treadwell's footage. Herzog's narration was moving and insightful. This was the best way to memorialize a man who died doing what he loved, even if it was crazy.

• Jonathan Mackris

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Mackris 03 Jan, 2015

Many times throughout Werner Herzog's 2005 documentary Grizzly Man, Timothy Treadwell - the subject of the piece - promises the audience that he "will die for these animals," the animals of course being grizzly bears. Little did he know the truth of those words.

With this picture, Herzog paints the portrait of a man who couldn't face the reality of nature, instead foolishly trying to instill a power over it he could not possess. For thirteen years, Timothy Treadwell lived…

• ralch

★★½ Watched by ralch 28 Dec, 2014

What a strange beast this doc is! Even for Herzog standards. It's a good thing that Timothy Treadwell is a fascinating subject and that his stock footage was captured with such sense of beauty and candor (and also dread). There is the expected connection between director and subject, one mirrored in the other through their shared fascination with nature, landscapes and the search for transcendence. But apparently gone are the days when the director would just let the images (and…