• Carl Sandell

★★★★ Watched by Carl Sandell 20 Sep, 2015

It's spectacular how Herzog manages to treat Timothy Treadwell with a lot of respect while at the same time butchering his character and deed. It's quite a skill to not see the object of the documentary as black or white or even a grey mess, but rather black and white. There's no doubt Herzog reveres nature as much as Treadwell, but in a completely different way. Presenting both views seems honest and makes the film more thought-provoking.

The clashing perspectives…

• Gavin Callister

★★★ Watched by Gavin Callister 02 Oct, 2015

It's funny that Herzog directed this movie because the subject of the documentary, Timothy Treadwell, reminds me so much of Klaus Kinski. From his sun-bleached hair to his odd behavior to his bouts of extreme rage, this is the role that Kinski would have crushed in his prime. It's a good documentary, but the whole time I was just thinking about how I would love a feature length film of Kinski trying to talk to bears and raging at the park officials.

• wmille15

★★★★ Watched by wmille15 30 Sep, 2015

Treadwell draws us to both sides of the camera, the hand of the filmmaker and the hand of nature, each a world filling us with wonder and dread. Herzog curates these feelings. It is that other man, the editor, who plays with magic. We have the footage and the people Treadwell left behind, lying in pieces. No one knows what these pieces of wreckage make, not even Treadwell — the editor takes these fragments and assembles them like beams of wood. Herzog makes a peril chapel.

• Daniela Loera

★★★★★ Watched by Daniela Loera 01 Oct, 2015

"And what haunts me, is that in all the faces of all the bears that Treadwell ever filmed, I discover no kinship, no understanding, no mercy. I see only the overwhelming indifference of nature. To me, there is no such thing as a secret world of the bears. And this blank stare speaks only of a half-bored interest in food. But for Timothy Treadwell, this bear was a friend, a saviour."

Brilliant documentary about so much more than bears. Also, Herzog's voice is what I imagine God's voice sounds like.

• Edward Blake

★★★★ Watched by Edward Blake 29 Sep, 2015

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, great documentary.

• Harry Q

★★★★½ Watched by Harry Q 28 Sep, 2015

A puzzling, layered film about a puzzling, layered man.

• An Angry Bear

★★★★★ Watched by An Angry Bear 28 Sep, 2015

Werner Herzog is the ultimate European voice, in my opinion.

• Dom Chapman

★★★★ Added by Dom Chapman

Probably the greatest un-intentional comedy of all time. Beautiful.

• Charles Palentine

★★★★ Watched by Charles Palentine 21 Sep, 2015

A caring, intimate, respectful portrayal of Timothy Treadwell, Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man delivers a layered, non-judgmental story of a lonely, obsessed man, desperately seeking a purpose. Thematically touching on both man and nature, Grizzly Man is able to extrapolate deep, humanistic truths from a character study of Treadwell, who chaotically defied nature as it did him.

• King Kongo

★★★★★ Added by King Kongo

Who is the craziest dude on earth? That's what Grizzly Man is about. It'll be your own choice. I made mine: the pathologist with the iron coffin.

• 20legendd

★★ Watched by 20legendd 16 Sep, 2015

There's so much hatred in myself right now, but I'm too sleepy at this moment to express why, 'cause it was so dull... so, so dull.

• Chase Detrick

★★★★½ Added by Chase Detrick

Herzog comments on the beautiful, excited, childlike, infantile man that was Timothy Treadwell leading up to his tragic death at the claws of what he loved so much.