• Lynne Gee

★★★★ Added by Lynne Gee

Holy cow! This guy was nuts.

• Carlos

★★★★ Added by Carlos

• Dara Khan

★★★★½ Watched by Dara Khan 13 Oct, 2014

"Jewel, you must never listen to this."

That's Werner Herzog after instructing Jewel Pavolak, executive producer and steward of the footage that makes up most of Grizzly Man, to stop playing an audio tape of the death, by grizzly bear attack, of Timothy Treadwell and his partner Amie Huguenard. It is such a staggering moment of humanity that I unexpectedly burst into tears. Pavolak, long-time friend and colleague of Treadwell and also his romantic partner for three years, takes Herzog's…

• Ryan Gilbert

★★★★ Watched by Ryan Gilbert 13 Oct, 2014

A chilling, haunting, tragic yet fascinating story/experience.

• Lowbacca

★★★ Watched by Lowbacca 02 Oct, 2014

As a documentary, I think it does a decent job. It does provide some moments of insight into Timothy Treadwell, an environmentalist trying to protect bears, which would go on to kill and eat him. However, I felt it lacked a narrative in how it explored his life, and the jumps back and forth didn't really do much to create a coherent work. There wasn't a broader sense of flow and it felt more like someone rambling in a conversation…

• Adam Cadre

★★★½ Watched by Adam Cadre 13 Mar, 2006

• Windyblue

★★★★ Added by Windyblue

Warning:
    Victim blaming (got what he deserved)
    Misogyny (interviewee says Huguenard was killed because Treadwell *brought* her, and got her killed. Especially when we specifically know that she could have gotten away and she chose to stay there trying to save Treadwell during the attack.)
    Ableism (the bears didn't kill Treadwell because he was "intellectually disabled, or something, probably")
    Ableist slurs (r-word)

"Drug use makes you mixed up with bad people, and mixed up with guns" WTF are you even…

• Tim Ehrens

★★★★★ Watched by Tim Ehrens 13 Sep, 2014

Timothy Treadwell was either a true naturalist, a true believer in saving and protecting these bears or a profoundly silly and stupid man.

I think the reality lies somewhere in between, and Werner Herzog's extraordinary documentary toes this line ever so finely.

I thought this was one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, not only for it's natural beauty in displaying the wild Alaskan wilderness but also for it's balanced storytelling in showing Treadwell's good qualities and faults that…

• Richard F

★★★★ Watched by Richard F 05 Apr, 2014

Man, I really liked this movie. This might actually be my favorite Herzog documentary thus far. The story of a man who lived in the wild with bears, who thought of himself as a conservationist and as someone who tried to help protect them and was eventually eaten by them.

In addition to the man's story being touching and sad (the scene in which Herzog listens to the audio tape of his death will stick with me forever, I think), there is some really fantastic footage of the bears.

• Psycle

★★★★★ Watched by Psycle 06 Sep, 2014 1

R.I.P. Tim Treadwell inspiration to all crazy animal people.

• Gonzo

★★★★★ Watched by Gonzo 03 Sep, 2014

Amazing, beautiful, extraordinary

• Simon Crookston

★★★★½ Watched by Simon Crookston 24 Aug, 2014

A truly fascinating character with a hypnotic voice and strange workd choice and that's just Werner Herzog.