• Sascha Brittner

★★★ Watched by Sascha Brittner 04 Feb, 2016

Wasn't this supposed to be like really, really good?

Oh, and even without the whole drug addiction thing dude is hella bad as a teacher.

• isabel

★★★★ Watched by isabel 02 Feb, 2016

i loved this so much and also ryan gosling is still my boyfriend

• Crystal

★★★★ Watched by Crystal 24 Oct, 2010

An undersung gem in the Ryan Gosling canon. It's a basic and somewhat conventional story but beautifully told and powerfully executed.

• Michael Burt

★★★ Watched by Michael Burt 22 Jan, 2016

Good performances from Ryan Gosling & Shareeka Epps.

• Tarryn-tino

★★★½ Rewatched by Tarryn-tino 18 Jan, 2016

"Second chances are rare, man. You ought to take better advantage of them."

The Gos gives a pretty mega performance in Half Nelson...is it his best? I don't know. Do I think he can do no wrong? Absolutely lol! IMO Gos is like a chameleon. He has the ability to become whatever character he wants, without becoming a caricature of himself or of the character. Its really something to watch. I wait with baited breath every time he makes another…

• JN

★★★★½ Watched by JN 01 Dec, 2013

Part of a Ryan Gosling binge. I'd forgotten about this movie.
    It's a great movie with a strong performance put in by Gosling of a drugged teacher.

• Vanja

★★½ Watched by Vanja 13 Jan, 2016

I was expecting more from this indie since it covers the interesting teacher-student relationship. It takes too long to get going, but then it just remains too slow, without any climax. The story itself was promising and it's such a pity it isn't better explored and delivered. I don't think I'll add it to my inspirational teachers list.

• John Heaney

★★★½ Watched by John Heaney 04 Jan, 2016

PRIME GOSLING. That's what Aaron Mullan called it. But yeah it was really good. I need to watch some more Gosling this year, and I have Blue Valentine, The Place Beyond The Pines, Only God Forgives (lol), The Believer and Lars And The Real Girl on my list, plus with The Big Short and The Nice Guys coming out in cinemas this year I imagine I'll have my fix of Gosling.

The film in and of itself is a very…

• Simon9688

★★½ Added by Simon9688

I'm still undecided whether I think Ryan Gosling can act, so therefore two & a half stars for Half Nelson.

• Christopher Sawo

★★½ Watched by Christopher Sawo 27 Dec, 2015

Normally I like this genre and a film about a drug-addicted Ryan Gosling as teacher sounds promising, but it didn't catch me.
    Gosling's performance was just about the only remarkable aspect I found in this film, with the lack of a coherent and exciting plot without any climax.

I was never involved in the story and I only kept watching because Gosling acted pretty great. Perhaps I just didn't 'get' it, but I found the entire film boring and narcotic. Just an all-around disappointment.

• OpticPotato

★★★★ Watched by OpticPotato 12 Dec, 2015

Great movie with Ryan Gosling as a crack addicted teacher. His performance is really strong. The other actors in the movie are as well acting on a very high level, I was surprised to hear this was Ryan Fleck's first full movie as a director and I have to say he's got some talent if he continues to make movies like this.

• Alan Heath

★★★½ Watched by Alan Heath 11 Dec, 2015

A history teacher come drug addict, finds a bond with one of his pupils and together they help each other learn the errors of there ways. Fantastic performance by Ryan Gosling showing this guy's demise through drugs.