• Craig Dawson

★★★ Watched by Craig Dawson 04 Nov, 2014

An inner-city junior high school teacher with a drug habit forms an unlikely friendship with one of his students after she discovers his secret.

An Indie hit from a few years back that I finally got round to seeing. A pretty decent little film with a very good central performance from Ryan Gosling. I didn't fall in love with it as a lot of people did back in 2006 but what it lacks in budget it makes up for in…

• Funnyguy

★★★ Watched by Funnyguy 09 Nov, 2014

Decent character portrayals. With an audiovisual style complimenting it. The acting was good, especially from Gosling, although I felt his character lacked the complexity to play on enough strings to continuously be interesting. It had it's qualities, although I'd say it got a bit one-dimensional and therefore a bit repetitive and because of that a little boring and hard to get emotionally connected to.

• stevo

★★★★½ Added by stevo

First movie I ever saw with Ryan Gosling. Absolutely fantastic, as long as you don't mind the minimal, slow indie style. Beautiful but tragic.

• Joey Seguin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joey Seguin 17 Oct, 2014

From the very moment I first saw Half Nelson, I knew it would stay in my top five for the rest of my life. Maybe I have a personal attachment to the film, maybe I have a bias because Gosling is my favorite young actor right now, but it's just so good.

I defy you to find a performance (shy of maybe Blue Valentine) where Gosling displays more chops as an actor. Anthony Mackie and Shareeka Epps make for one…

• AvenueDave

★★★★ Watched by AvenueDave 09 Oct, 2014

Despite his dedication to the junior-high students who fill his classroom, idealistic teacher Dan Dunne leads a secret life of addiction that the majority of his students will never know. But things change when a troubled student Drey makes a startling discovery of his secret life, causing a tenuous bond between the two that could either end disastrously or provide a catalyst of hope.

Movie #141

My 2 Cents: The brilliant Ryan Gosling ladies and gentlemen! I believe he got…

• Joe DiCanio

★★★★ Watched by Joe DiCanio 13 May, 2012

Rating: B+

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 07 Jul, 2012

It had an interesting premise, remarkable performances, and a great start, but Half Nelson was for the most part a very uneven movie that aside from being too slow-paced and boring, it had characters that seemed to go nowhere and in the end, neither they evolved or changed nor did I learn anything from them. This film was nothing more than a good idea that never took off.

• Vonne Patiag

★★★★★ Watched by Vonne Patiag 17 Sep, 2014

Absolutely superb film. Delves straight into the modern struggles facing the disenfranchised and disempowered youth of today choosing to focus on small change as a powerful tool against the backdrop of historical social change. A critique of America and it's systems at it's best.

• Bill Shannon

★★★★ Added by Bill Shannon

The success of this film completely hinges upon the friendship between the inner city teacher, Don (Gosling) and the bright, disadvantaged student, Drey (Epps).

Separately, we have two characters were seen before: Don is a good teacher who clearly reaches his students. But he is also a crack addict. Drey is a smart girl from a bad neighborhood, and her mentor in the "real world" is a drug dealer.

Alone, each character is less a stereotype than an archetype. But…

• maekstar

★★★½ Added by maekstar

Half Nelson really worked for me, showing a side of Ryan Gosling, as drug addict techer Dan Dunne, that proved more compelling than some of the performances that he is credited very highly for.

The references to civil rights struggles form an interesting juxtaposition with Gosling's dynamic with his young student Drey, played by Shareeka Epps, bringing into question the different ways in which social groups empower themselves. Is Drey's detachment from the machine through selling drugs any less valid…

• Liam Fogarty

★★★★★ Watched by Liam Fogarty 08 Sep, 2014

A phenomenal quiet drama that pushed Ryan Gosling into the limelight. The film follows a Teacher in a rural city high school who befriends one of his students when she finds out about his drug abuse. The two begin to affect one another's lives as they are seemingly forced to go down dark paths.

The film is really personal, it lacks flashy cinematography, major set pieces and simply gimmicks that are there to make the film seem more important than…

• YingaGarten

★★ Watched by YingaGarten 05 Sep, 2014

Disappointing drama with an Academy Award® nominated Ryan Gosling as a drug addict history teacher who struggles to hold his life together whilst bonding with a student whom he teaches in his additional basketball class. The film does nothing aesthetically and looks like its been shot on a poor quality camcorder from 2006 and never really explores its themes (addiction, lost souls, racial divide).