• Moon_of_Mayhem

★★★½ Watched by Moon_of_Mayhem 23 Nov, 2015

I loved Goslings performance but the last spark to make it special is missing. Still very interesting and exciting.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★★ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• Baz_the_film_guy

★★★½ Watched by Baz_the_film_guy 31 Oct, 2015

Gosling on crack?

I still would.

• Tadej B

★★★½ Watched by Tadej B 01 Jan, 2015

• micah1984

★★★ Watched by micah1984 26 Oct, 2015 1

I've come to the conclusion that Gosling is really good in quiet roles and pretty bad in loud ones. He doesn't do well when he's given a lot of lines, and what really packs the hardest punch in some of his other movies is his silence. This one definitely feels a little forced. And he should really stay away from basketball as a general rule.

• Rachael

★★★★ Watched by Rachael 23 Oct, 2015 2

Arguably Ryan Gosling's best role to date, and a tough role at that. Jam packed with a whirlwind of emotions.

• RezaSKhan

★★½ Watched by RezaSKhan 16 Jul, 2014

Half Nelson (Ryan Fleck, 2006) 5/10

Excruciatingly slow film about an unorthodox and dedicated teacher at a school for black / hispanic children and his relationship with a 13 year old girl who knows he is a crack addict. Ryan Gosling is very good but it's all very deja vu.

• Melody

★★★★ Watched by Melody 03 Oct, 2015

The opportunity to watch this has come up at least annually for me since it came out, it seems, and I always wondered why I kept passing it up. But turns out it's just about the bare minimum I expected of it - a de-glamourised version of the "unlikely great teacher" story, which is an arguably overdone setup I can happily watch over and over. The performances and everything are all in service of the tone and they serve it…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 23 Feb, 2007

I found it quite pretentious and really overrated. Gosling's performance was just about the only redeemable aspect I found in the film, with the lack of a coherent plot, amateurish direction, and muddled dialogue. I was never involved in the story, and I only kept watching because Gosling is pretty great. Perhaps I just didn't 'get' it, but I found the entire film baffling and convoluted. And when it ended, I just went "that's it?" The really poor direction (far too many shaky extreme close-ups) didn't help matters, as the film wasn't even pretty to look at. Just an all-around disappointment.

• Tim Gerrit Troy Augurzke

★★★ Watched by Tim Gerrit Troy Augurzke 11 Sep, 2015

• Matt Thomas

★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 05 Sep, 2015

A fairly restrained version of a familiar story. Gosling underplays his role, but it works. The kids are all very well cast. Only the music overpowers things at times.

• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 15 Sep, 2012

An excellent turn from Gosling anchors this thoughtful but sparse drama.