• Melody

★★★★ Watched by Melody 03 Oct, 2015

The opportunity to watch this has come up at least annually for me since it came out, it seems, and I always wondered why I kept passing it up. But turns out it's just about the bare minimum I expected of it - a de-glamourised version of the "unlikely great teacher" story, which is an arguably overdone setup I can happily watch over and over. The performances and everything are all in service of the tone and they serve it…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 23 Feb, 2007

I found it quite pretentious and really overrated. Gosling's performance was just about the only redeemable aspect I found in the film, with the lack of a coherent plot, amateurish direction, and muddled dialogue. I was never involved in the story, and I only kept watching because Gosling is pretty great. Perhaps I just didn't 'get' it, but I found the entire film baffling and convoluted. And when it ended, I just went "that's it?" The really poor direction (far too many shaky extreme close-ups) didn't help matters, as the film wasn't even pretty to look at. Just an all-around disappointment.

• Tim Gerrit Troy Augurzke

★★★ Watched by Tim Gerrit Troy Augurzke 11 Sep, 2015

• Matt Thomas

★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 05 Sep, 2015

A fairly restrained version of a familiar story. Gosling underplays his role, but it works. The kids are all very well cast. Only the music overpowers things at times.

• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 15 Sep, 2012

An excellent turn from Gosling anchors this thoughtful but sparse drama.

• Jack Godwin

★★★★ Watched by Jack Godwin 10 Aug, 2015

I thought I knew where it was going, but tropes are subverted and characters that seem to be set on a path don't necessarily go where you expect them to. One of the best things the film does is not make Anthony Mackie's character a villain, instead humanised both through balanced screenwriting and his natural charm. There's also a careful consideration and evasion of the white saviour narrative, which I thought would be a problem early on. Shareeka Epps gives a really understated but powerful performance, and I love that she gets as much screentime as Gosling

• William Coomber

★★½ Watched by William Coomber 05 Aug, 2015

A good watch, interesting story.

• Degaré Moreau

★★★ Added by Degaré Moreau

I love Broken Social Scene.

• The Warriors

★★★ Added by The Warriors

we saw many picture of teachers with children and thier community, but this one is surprisingly good. Again with Gosling: he wasn't famous at that time, but he was and is a good actor!

• mfulton

★★★★½ Added by mfulton

• Alex Vieira

★★★½ Watched by Alex Vieira 26 Jul, 2015

"Half Nelson" é o primeiro trabalho que chegou às salas de cinema dos jovens parceiros Ryan Fleck e Anna Boden, que anos depois realizariam o totalmente inspirador "It's Kind of a Funny Story". Elogiados pela crítica, os dois cineastas lançarão este ano para os cinemas "Mississippi Grind", filme já reconhecido positivamente em alguns festivais. Será estrelado por Ryan Reynolds, Sienna Millers e Ben Mendelsohn.

Na minha opinião, eu acho que temos aqui dois bons cineastas contemporâneos. Para além de fazerem…

• Concertina

★★½ Watched by Concertina 23 Jul, 2015

Sin trascendencia, no me molestó tanto la cara de nada de Ryan Gosling lo cual ya dice mucho.
    Tiene un soundtrack bastante bueno a mi parecer.

Ahora espero mi set de gifs de Ryan tratando de bailar.