• Erin Finnerty

★★★½ Added by Erin Finnerty

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

this is a good movie except, spoiler, there is a non-violent cat death

• mijagi

★★★★ Watched by mijagi 24 Jun, 2015

Ryan Gosling delivers a very authentic and moving performance as a crack smoking high school teacher who forms an unlikely friendship with one of his streetwise pupils. It's a gritty piece of social realism, maybe America's answer to Mike Leigh. I really cared about both characters, a tribute to fine acting and an intelligent, thoughtful screenplay. Half Nelson reminded me of Detachment - so if you liked that film then I recommend this. It's a challenging watch at times but…

• Thomas Flew

★★★½ Watched by Thomas Flew 14 Jun, 2015

As much as I appreciated the performances of Ryan Gosling and Shareeka Epps as Dan and Drey respectively, I was never knew where I stood with Half Nelson. At first it appeared to be another story of a good teacher fighting the system, but as Dan's crack addiction became more apparent, it was clear this was not the case. This film documents a desperate man stumbling through life who has found one person who he really feels he can help.…

• Aurora, I.

★★★★ Added by Aurora, I.

The first time I viewed this I immediately watched it again the next day. The chemistry between everyone is damn near perfect.

• Rodex

★★★★ Added by Rodex

No sé que tiene esta película que te hace sentir identificado, puede ser su simpleza o lo real que puede verse día a día. Hermosamente lograda.

• Dan Bremner

★★ Watched by Dan Bremner 01 Jun, 2015

Film 251 of my 2015 500 Film Challenge

Half Nelson has been on my radar since I discovered my love for Gosling in 2011's 'Drive' and have been waiting for a UK release of the Blu-ray ever since, but that never came about. Thankfully it was added on Netflix, so I gave it a watch.

All I can say is that I'm disappointed, Gosling was excellent here (I think he got nominated for an Oscar?), the film itself was just…

• Kurt Velghe

★★★½ Watched by Kurt Velghe 31 May, 2015

Sociaal drama over een drugsverslaafde leraar die op een dag betrapt wordt door een van zijn leerlingen. Hieruit ontstaat een eigenaardige vriendschap tussen beiden. Gosling is uitstekend zoals altijd maar hij krijgt bijzonder goed weerwerk van zijn jonge tegenspeelster.

• Carlos Alonzo Correa

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Alonzo Correa 31 May, 2015

Maestros drogos.

Buen guión, buena foto, buen score y excelentes actuaciones de Ryan Gosling y Shareeka Epps hacen de esta película con temas duros una muy disfrutable experiencia. Al haber pasado personalmente por una etapa de maestro universitario y convivir con los alumnos, sentí un poco más todo lo que ví en esta movie.

Recomendable. Ryan es mi pastor.

• Darryl Hunt

★★★½ Watched by Darryl Hunt 22 May, 2015

There's a lot to be said about this film's exploration of race, class, identity, gender and family, but I'll just leave it with saying how good Ryan Gosling is, because he's really good. Really, really good. Like, good enough to give me another reason to hate myself for not bothering to watch anything with him in because of his ridiculously overly-charismatic facial features. Which still applies. But he's good, and more nuanced and subtle and brilliant than his suspiciously lovely, chiselled, boy-next-door face would suggest.

• SmokingPizza

Added by SmokingPizza

One of my professors showed this in one of my film classes in college. I left 30 mins in, why do I care about a teacher who freebases cocaine? Pointless film.

• achyuthsankar

★★★★★ Added by achyuthsankar

DISCLAIMER: This is not so much a review as it is a brief train of thought after having watched this movie.

There are very very few films whose emotions completely seep into me. Good Will Hunting, Her, Apocalypse Now, Shame, Blue Valentine, etc.
    This is one of them. This totally is one of them.
    Following a drug addict teacher who cares about his students, and his unlikely close friendship with one student in particular, Drey, because of his addiction, forms…

• R Stefaniuk

★★★★ Added by R Stefaniuk

why the f*ck didn't shareeka epps's career take off after this?