• Kelly

★★★★ Added by Kelly

i'd take a bullet for ryan gosling

• Martin White

★★★½ Watched by Martin White 01 Apr, 2016

Although the film meanders about, the great acting of Ryan Gosling (before he is Ryan Gosling) and especially Shareeka Epps really save this film. Some really hard to watch moments between the two, and scenes were so much is communicated with so little said. Touching film about the responsibilities, and failings, of teachers who really want to help their students.

• Lady Maricota

★★★★ Watched by Lady Maricota 09 Apr, 2016

Alongside Lars and The Real Girl, without question, Ryan Gosling's best career moments. Indies are definitely his thing <3.

• maddy

★★★★ Watched by maddy 05 Apr, 2016

literally only held up by ryan gosling and shareeka epps's acting but they were both phenomenal!! rygo 4ever

• Orla Smith

★★★★ Watched by Orla Smith 01 Apr, 2016

8.5/10
    Wow, this film packs an emotional punch, but not in a melodramatic, thickly laid on way. It's very naturalistic and subtle. Was expecting something good, but I was surprised it was this good. Ryan Gosling's best performance that I've seen to date, he's kind of heartbreaking, and Shareeka Epps is pretty much his equal. There should be more outcry at the fact that she's had basically no roles in the ten years since this film's release, because this performance is pretty stunning. This is a really outstanding film that should be checked out by more people.

• Kayo Jolongbayan

★★ Watched by Kayo Jolongbayan 22 Mar, 2016

1/3 powerful, but mostly boring and repetitive.

• EvanstonDad

★★★★½ Added by EvanstonDad

Ryan Fleck's writing and directorial debut is sober and even somewhat glum, but it boasts a tremendous and committed performance from Ryan Gosling in the lead role; an understated and sweet performance from the young actress Shareeka Epps in a supporting role; and an intelligent, thoughtful, spare screenplay that avoids falling prey to easy sentiment.

Gosling plays Dan Dunne, a young history teacher from a liberal family who himself has liberal ideas and a charismatic way with his students. They…

• Connor Lightbody

★★★½ Watched by Connor Lightbody 17 Mar, 2016

"If I could change one student"

I went in to "Half Nelson" expecting little but I was hooked from the start by Ryan Goslings layered charismatic performance. But then the film turned on itself and cannibalised its own foundations. Instead of acting upon foundations of a teacher on a self destructive path caught by a student in an unsavoury position, it turns into melodrama. With the sole focus of the film being these characters and their relationship instead of these…

• Victoria

★★★ Added by Victoria

C+

• Chloe L

★★½ Watched by Chloe L 11 Mar, 2016

I wasn't as enamored of Half Nelson as I expected to be. I think there were some REALLY strong performances in this film, and I liked the overall feel the camera work gave the movie, but I guess I was expecting for there to be more of a point? I wanted to know how Dunn got into drugs in the first place, or, alternatively, I wanted to know more about Drey and her life and the choices she was making in this film. I guess this was a bit of a miss for me.

• Shayak Bhattacharyya

★★★★ Watched by Shayak Bhattacharyya 11 Mar, 2016

Ryan Gosling take a bow. This guy just doesn't cease to amaze me. An outstanding performance and probably set the path for his future roles in films like Blue Valentine. The awkward yet sensitive relation between a teacher and a student each of whom are fighting their inner demons but are apprehensive of sharing it with one another was beautifully portrayed by Gosling and Epps. A big thumbs up and definitely one of the best of the decade gone by.

P.S. A special thanks to the movie for introducing me to The Marshall Tucker Band!

• Peazze

★★★ Watched by Peazze 04 Mar, 2016 1

Unfortunately "Half Nelson" has much more potential than this flick is finally using. The whole 100 minutes are based on the acting of Ryan Gosling and Shareeka Epps. Don't understand me wrong, their acting is flawless and really impressive, but that shouldn't be everything what constitutes a good movie. In my opinion there also was used too much time for the drug addiction of Gosling instead of dwelling on Shareeka and her social life as well as her motivations. So finally this movie is only moderate. 3 Stars.