• Darryl Hunt

★★★½ Watched by Darryl Hunt 22 May, 2015

There's a lot to be said about this film's exploration of race, class, identity, gender and family, but I'll just leave it with saying how good Ryan Gosling is, because he's really good. Really, really good. Like, good enough to give me another reason to hate myself for not bothering to watch anything with him in because of his ridiculously overly-charismatic facial features. Which still applies. But he's good, and more nuanced and subtle and brilliant than his suspiciously lovely, chiselled, boy-next-door face would suggest.

• SmokingPizza

Added by SmokingPizza

One of my professors showed this in one of my film classes in college. I left 30 mins in, why do I care about a teacher who freebases cocaine? Pointless film.

• achyuthsankar

★★★★★ Added by achyuthsankar

DISCLAIMER: This is not so much a review as it is a brief train of thought after having watched this movie.

There are very very few films whose emotions completely seep into me. Good Will Hunting, Her, Apocalypse Now, Shame, Blue Valentine, etc.
    This is one of them. This totally is one of them.
    Following a drug addict teacher who cares about his students, and his unlikely close friendship with one student in particular, Drey, because of his addiction, forms…

• R Stefaniuk

★★★★ Added by R Stefaniuk

why the f*ck didn't shareeka epps's career take off after this?

• Harrison Mitchell

★★★½ Watched by Harrison Mitchell 26 Apr, 2015

Gosling is great, yo.

• Michael Herrington

★★★ Watched by Michael Herrington 11 Apr, 2015

Disappointingly cold and reserved drama, aided by good performances from Ryan Gosling and Shareeka Epps. Take the best of this and add a dash of the over-the-top, raw stuff from, say, Short Term 12, and I think you could have a really good movie.

• Chris Newar

★★★½ Watched by Chris Newar 01 Apr, 2015

I was worried this was going to be another in the long line of "dangerous Minds" type movies. I am pleased to say it did not follow that script. There is no redemption here.

What I really liked about this film was there was no black and white, no good vs bad. There were many characters that had good qualities mixed with major flaws.

Gosling is pretty raw in this movie and the Drey character really drives the movie. defiantly worth a watch.

• Karl Hungus

★★½ Watched by Karl Hungus 01 Apr, 2015

I've never seen Ryan Gosling acting that good. This is really a stunning performance by him. The way, he's playing this drug-addicted teacher, who's always stoned, but never loses the attention for his pupils, is just great.
    Nevertheless, this movie isn't very special. It's just too long. In 100 minutes there isn't one scene, where anything special is happening. That's a little bit sad, because a very interesting topic is approached here.
    But unfortanately, for me, this flm is just boring.

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 27 Mar, 2015

An inner-city junior high school teacher with a drug habit forms an unlikely friendship with one of his students after she discovers his secret.
    Unusual story of friendship and compassion amidst adverse conditions with an intense performance by Ryan Gosling.

• Mischka

★★★½ Watched by Mischka 17 Mar, 2015

If you're looking for swelling music and inspirational white people maybe you should go watch Freedom Writers, this is not that movie. Instead, Sometimes crappy people try to wade through their sometimes crappy lives. This movie doesn't pander to dramatic moments and false climaxes of universal change. 1 man in 1 classroom finds himself in the position to shift 1 child's life in 1 small change of direction. That micro-plot might not satisfy some. Maybe it doesn't go in depth…

• breakerfall

★★★ Watched by breakerfall 10 Feb, 2015

Für mich ein wenig zu ruhig erzählt. Ein paar Szenen sind jedoch sehr intensiv und bleiben in Erinnerung. Trotzdem reicht hier einmal sehen für mich.

• Gorana

★★★ Watched by Gorana 08 Feb, 2015 2

Habe mir mehr erwartet. Ein bisschen nichtssagend und gewöhnlich, dafür ganz wunderbar gespielt.