• Justin Velasquez

★★★ Watched by Justin Velasquez 05 Jul, 2008

What if you took everything that was good about Superman – the ability to fly, the strength to lift huge objects, resistance to pain or injury and immortality – took out the charming personality and sprinkled in a little attitude, lack of decorum or personal hygiene? You’d get Hancock - America’s newest and most inept superhero! Oscar nominee Will Smith drops the smug, likeable, charming persona we all know and love him for, and presents the title character as a…

• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

I have been waiting for this for years: a superhero movie where the actions of the superheroes have consequences in the real world. They always leave a wake of crashed cars, bursting fire hydrants, exploding gas stations and toppling bridges behind them and never go back to clean up. But John Hancock, the hero of “Hancock,” doesn’t get away with anything. One heroic stunt ran up a cost price tag of $7 million, he’s got hundreds of lawsuits pending, and…

• matt lynch

★★★ Rewatched by matt lynch 19 Apr, 2014

more a fascinating anomaly than particularly good, this one roasted in the fires of development hell for years; apparently they squashed four different movies together, one for each quadrant. there's an arch, self-consciously irreverent attempt at deconstructing a superhero film. then you have the Superman "among us but not one of us" integration attempt. third, there's the straight-up FX-driven action film, and finally, a love triangle (two sides of which are immortal). any of these might have stood on their own, but together they hurtle through so much unnecessary narrative embellishment that it borders on total improvised abstraction.

• Kamran Ahmed

★★½ Watched by Kamran Ahmed 16 Apr, 2014

An awful concept. Executed well. Will Smith is great. Starts okay, dies a little, ends with grace. Nice enough soundtrack.

55/100 - Mediocre

• Jason Watkins

★★★½ Rewatched by Jason Watkins 16 Apr, 2014

Wasn't too keen on this the first time around but it certainly works better on a second viewing. Smith actually gives quite a strong performance as the super-hero battling his own inner demons.

It's let down somewhat by some ropey CGI, especially in the flying sequences, but overall it's not actually that bad.

• cineedo
  • trigjosh

★★★½ Rewatched by trigjosh 15 Apr, 2014

Absolutely loved this ante-hero flick. Smith is awesomely funny as always, and is complimented by Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman (who's acting is aging like wine). A story about 'Hancock,' a superhero who is battling his own personal demons as well as his reception from others.

• AwesomeAverage

★★★½ Watched by AwesomeAverage 10 Apr, 2014

This movie was released at the wrong time. The summer of 08 was big for superhero movies like dark knight (best superhero movie of all time), iron man, hellboy 2, and the Incredible Hulk. So Hancock didn't really get the respect it deserved from critics.
    While the directing is not the best with its shaky cam. the performance given by will smith is one of his best, showing a transformation from loser to good guy. This is a different kind of superhero movie and for the most part I liked. It

• Luke Grima

★★★ Rewatched by Luke Grima 09 Apr, 2014

I haven't seen this since the cinema, but boy it looks dated so much for a recent(ish) film.

I've just been reminded (now that i'm older) its like a warped Arrested Development episode in regards to Bateman and Theron.

• Carlos Deleon

★★ Watched by Carlos Deleon 02 Jul, 2008

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Griffin Encinas

★★★★ Added by Griffin Encinas

A funny and original movie, as well as a good superhero movie. Will Smith plays a Hero? (Again) What better could we ask for.

• Stephen Mackintosh

★★★★ Watched by Stephen Mackintosh 02 Apr, 2014

I'm going to get some hate for this. But damn it I love this movie. I don't know if this is because it's about superpowers or because it has Will Smith but I think this film is awesome. The whole hospital scene gets me every time. Great movie.