• derpzerplin

★★½ Watched by derpzerplin 28 Nov, 2015

Although this has some entertaining moments, the concept was far better on paper than the actual execution. I was intrigued by the "down-on-his-luck/destructive/not-well-liked superhero" concept that was explored in the first half of the movie, but an inexplicable twist takes over and basically leaves the original idea hanging. There are better popcorn flicks out there.

• bmart17

★★★ Rewatched by bmart17 19 Nov, 2015

There's a pretty big problem with Hancock - it's essentially two films smashed together. The first hour or so is a great character study on a guy who has no idea how to be a hero (and maybe isn't all that interested in becoming one) and how he handles change and tries to bring a positive impact to his city.

Then that just cuts off, gone to the cinematic ether. The second half of the film is replaced with the…

• Chetan

★★★½ Rewatched by Chetan 17 Nov, 2015

Pretty entertaining superhero flick. I couldn't help but feel there was more that could have been done with the story though. Perhaps it is because I like flicks in this genre to hit about 2 hrs, but it just seems to start and end with minimal plot.

• Keith LaFountaine

★★★ Watched by Keith LaFountaine 13 Nov, 2015

What started as a really interesting, engaging film quickly devolved into superhero tropes, discussion of love and gods (who sound really irresponsible), all combined with one-dimensional villains who serve only to be a familiar face at the end of the film. But still, this had a dynamite cast that did their best with the script they were given. Anyone else in those roles, and likely this would be even worse than it is now.

• Chloe

★★★ Watched by Chloe 04 Oct, 2015

Such a sad tragic love story. Funny carnage and switch of a superhero who just doesn't want to be.

• Gvas

★½ Rewatched by Gvas 30 Sep, 2015

While the writing team's effort to create a mythology from scratch is commendable, this is an ill-conceived concept.

Mr. Berg can't stage a proper action scene and going from extreme silliness to extreme melodrama doesn't do favor to either part.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

It's incoherent, and swings from superior superhero satire to mediocre superhero soap opera, but I liked it, certainly the first funnier, satirical half. Big Willie gives one of his best perfs ever as the alcoholic, depressive (but still oh-so-cool) asshole of a superdude, without any tangible connection to humanity. And I dig the inherent drama in the concept: it's lonely at the top. Theron does a fine job too, but she has the misfortune to be riding a curveball of…

• evlkeith

Watched by evlkeith 16 Sep, 2015

I only lasted five minutes. Everything about this is irritating: Will Smith, the music, the effects, the tone... everything.

It's like watching an amateur home video made by a hilarious dad messing about with his new special effects package on his ZX Spectrum accompanied by a soundtrack that he thought sounded hip because he'd heard it on the hit parade.

I won't rate it because I didn't manage to get through it. It may have got better, but any film that annoys me this much at the very start doesn't warrant me spending any more time on it.

• MovingPictures

★★★½ Watched by MovingPictures 14 Sep, 2015

Surprisingly interesting!

Did not expect or hope for more than a somewhat bizarre attempt at the superhero genre. This turned out to have a quite creative approach on an original angle. The first half is very interesting, then it gets a bit unfocused with the twist about one hour into the film. The ending is a bit messy too, in my opinion. The action sequences are, as usual, the least interesting part of the film, but not too boring. The…

• BennyWestside

★★★½ Added by BennyWestside

What if superman was an asshole? and an angel or something?

• Benjamin Devasir

★½ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 31 Aug, 2015

Eurgh, so much potential that wasn't actualized. Ended up turning into shit.

• dbcooper7

★★★ Watched by dbcooper7 09 Jul, 2008 1

A new spin on the superhero role. I rather liked it. Theron was looking real good and a bad-ass in this, and Smith was still on my good side.