• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

"Harry Brown" is a revenge thriller poised somewhere between "Death Wish" and "Gran Torino." All three depend on the ability of an older actor to convince us that he's still capable of violence, and all three spend a great deal of time alone with their characters, whose faces must reflect their inner feelings. Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood, Michael Caine: Those are faces sculpted by time.

Caine plays an old man with a dying wife. He lives in a London housing…

• Dividerca

★★½ Added by Dividerca

This has been done a hundred times before, same characters same story every time. Such a predictable movie. Michael Caine's acting is top class as usual though.

• yurik09

★★★½ Added by yurik09

Well, here is what Travis Bickle would be up to nowadays. He just relocated to London.

• millbaggio

★★ Watched by millbaggio 22 Mar, 2014

Aka Broken Britain: The Movie

• Seanski J

★★★½ Watched by Seanski J 17 Mar, 2014

“Those people were fighting for something; for a cause. To them out there, this is just entertainment.”

‘Harry Brown’ is a rather raw and almost emotionless look at a circle of violence. Michael Caine does a wonderful job at playing a man who’s just had enough pain and loss and decides to do something about it.

I don’t want to chalk this film up as your run-of-the-mill vigilante revenge film, but that’s kind of what it is. You’ve got your…

• OtisPGrumble

★★½ Watched by OtisPGrumble 10 Mar, 2014

Whilst it is refreshing to see a British film this bleak and genuinely nasty I'm pretty sure the writer / director got slightly confused about what he was trying to say by the end. So, is a pensioner vigilante good? Is the moral of the story it's ok to take the law into your own hands as long as you don't get caught?

My spider sense tells me in early drafts of this script Harry Brown died, that would make more sense dramatically.

Also, did the casting director for Game Of Thrones watch this on release?

• Geoff T

★★★½ Watched by Geoff T 03 Mar, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• brian BV

★★★½ Added by brian BV

Essentially, this is an revamp of Death Wish, but set in London and even more bleak with it's environment. Michael Caine gives an exceptional performance and there are some powerful scenes of social commentary. The hoodlums and police are a bit stereotypical though.

• Fesapo

★½ Watched by Fesapo 09 Jun, 2010

35/100

• Hendrik Hoeve

★★★★ Added by Hendrik Hoeve

I love revenge movies. This is a great one.

• Gumby77

★★★★ Added by Gumby77

"HARRY BROWN" is a easy film to relate to ... who here hasn't heard stories about cities or neighborhoods being overrun with crime, violence, rape, hatred, and intimidation? As someone who worked in TV news for a number of years, I've heard stories involving each and every one of those topics. Stories like that can really anger someone to an extent, where you'll think to yourself - "Fuck the Police", and think about taking matters into your own hands. Who…

• TheCincyKid

★★★ Added by TheCincyKid

This great-looking crime drama begins so promisingly that its first half's a testament to its latter half's malfunction. It opens with such careful, delicate attention to atmospheric nuance, treading ever so deliberately and serenely along in the finest tradition of British film/TV, only to shamefully degenerate into a tea-time Death Wish about reckless monsters of the modern world, exterminated by a man who was pumping shotguns and racing MINIs before they were twinkles in their mothers' eyes. Then there's a twist, basically because the story as it has formulaically deteriorated has few other things to do.