• Will Tyrrell

★★½ Watched by Will Tyrrell 29 Jun, 2015

I'd had a long day (and quite a few drinks) so I fell asleep about 25 minutes before the end, but I have no desire to finish it off. It wasn't quite the Daily Mail wet dream vigilante-promoting shite I thought it would be after the first 5 or 10 minutes, but I was pretty bored most of the way through.

• Mania

★★½ Watched by Mania 30 Jun, 2015

τίλέτερεμαλάκες;

• joaoluc

★★★★ Added by joaoluc

Henrique Castanho, veterano da guerra colonial, é apanhado no meio do gunedo do bairro do Aleixo. Salta-lhe a tampa e acaba tudo à batatada no meio de um filme exemplar. Vejam e pouco barulho.

• filmcollective

★★ Added by filmcollective

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Legendary leading man Michael Caine returns to a genre that he aced early in his career with Mike Hodges 1971 cult classic Get Carter - the revenge flick. In the hugely successful British film Harry Brown, Caine is a pensioner living in the troubled estate of Elephant and The Castle, incidentally where Caine was raised. Now these streets are filled with hooded, crack smoking junkies, where teenage gang violence is rife, and unfortunately this is by all means an accurate…

• Jacket

★★★½ Watched by Jacket 30 Apr, 2015

Harry Brown, or Michael Caine in general, is a cool guy. Harry Brown the movie, however, feels a little too black and white. The 'good guys' are very good, but the 'bad guys' are only bad. Somehow I can imagine that it isn't even far from reality..

• Dead Moon Night

★★★★ Rewatched by Dead Moon Night 29 Apr, 2015

Drugs, violence and murder destroys the british suburb. When old man Harry's wife dies and best and only friend Len is murdered and the police can't do anything about it, he takes the law in his own hands.

Harry Brown is a sad, gripping, gritty, dark and violent rollercoaster with an amazing Michael Cain as the ex marine who looses everyone he loves and goes on a Death Wish killing spree to fight violence with violence and avenge his best friend. Harry Brown is a great british vigilante film, I wouldn't mind a Harry Brown 2!

• Anne Matheson

★★½ Watched by Anne Matheson 18 Apr, 2015

2.5 stars is probably a little unfair for a film that's well acted, has a coherent plot, and captures the essence of its setting but its just so grim. Gritty is the euphemistic term for this kind of drama and it does it well. Don't watch it if you're depressed or have a positive view of British council housing estates that you wouldn't want spoiled but if you'd like to see some unpleasant characters get a degree of comeuppance this could be the film for you.

• ThomasBomas3

★★★★½ Watched by ThomasBomas3 31 Mar, 2015

For roughly the first hour of Harry Brown I was ready to call it the best English language art-house film of the decade thus far. It was dark, gritty, real, morally ambiguous as well as expertly written and acted. But the main climax, involving a street war, really lets it down. That portion was more complex than it needed to be, especially compared to the rest of the film, and it was dangerously close to becoming an action flick.

• wildestpenfield

★★★ Added by wildestpenfield

It's interesting that a movie like this is considered mildly classy, unlike any of the 17 times a similarly decrepit Charles Bronson did the same (well, ok, Chaz was only this old for Death Wish V). That said, if you've been to the UK in the past decade or so... hoodied chavs are indeed kinda scary (and incomprehensible), so there's a little wish fulfillment here for more than just pensioners. Unfortunately, the lead hoodies, quite scary when they take centre…

• Gus Braidotti

★★★ Watched by Gus Braidotti 24 Mar, 2015

Nothing quite like a pensioner vigilante. I guess it is a bit old fashion right wing, has too many cliche ghetto hoods and the acting by some is bit iffy. Michael Caine carries well as always, he is truly charismatic and talented.
    Overall, it lacks a pleasant rhythm. Photography was barren, which is because it is trying to reflect the barren of the Housing Projects ( Estates ). But these are so bleak that I am not sure the photography had to be so lean and light so cold and flat. I guess this is the UK so maybe I am asking for too much.

• trevor taylor

★★★★ Rewatched by trevor taylor 22 Mar, 2015

Michael Caine has that ability to make your heart sink and thats what this movie does (brutal as it is).
    This is one mans story uncomplicated which its not so we can concentrate on Harry Brown and his personal feelings and revenge.
    Why is this film so good .....because Michael Caines face speaks volumes the detail is in its bleakness and loneliness the sadness. Lovin MC

• splisken

★★★★ Added by splisken

its death wish, but set in a London housing estate and staring michael caine.

sean harris steals the film as a strung out drug/gun dealer who doesn't properly clean his weapon.

jack o Connell is great as an abused junkie and plan b (whatever his real name is?) shows he can act better than he can sing.

dark, gritty, violent and one of caines best films.