• ThomasBomas3

★★★★½ Watched by ThomasBomas3 31 Mar, 2015

For roughly the first hour of Harry Brown I was ready to call it the best English language art-house film of the decade thus far. It was dark, gritty, real, morally ambiguous as well as expertly written and acted. But the main climax, involving a street war, really lets it down. That portion was more complex than it needed to be, especially compared to the rest of the film, and it was dangerously close to becoming an action flick.

• wildestpenfield

★★★ Added by wildestpenfield

It's interesting that a movie like this is considered mildly classy, unlike any of the 17 times a similarly decrepit Charles Bronson did the same (well, ok, Chaz was only this old for Death Wish V). That said, if you've been to the UK in the past decade or so... hoodied chavs are indeed kinda scary (and incomprehensible), so there's a little wish fulfillment here for more than just pensioners. Unfortunately, the lead hoodies, quite scary when they take centre…

• Kaisergustaf

★★★ Watched by Kaisergustaf 24 Mar, 2015

Nothing quite like a pensioner vigilante. I guess it is a bit old fashion right wing, has too many cliche ghetto hoods and the acting by some is bit iffy. Michael Caine carries well as always, he is truly charismatic and talented.
    Overall, it lacks a pleasant rhythm. Photography was barren, which is because it is trying to reflect the barren of the Housing Projects ( Estates ). But these are so bleak that I am not sure the photography had to be so lean and light so cold and flat. I guess this is the UK so maybe I am asking for too much.

• trevor taylor

★★★★ Rewatched by trevor taylor 22 Mar, 2015

Michael Caine has that ability to make your heart sink and thats what this movie does (brutal as it is).
    This is one mans story uncomplicated which its not so we can concentrate on Harry Brown and his personal feelings and revenge.
    Why is this film so good .....because Michael Caines face speaks volumes the detail is in its bleakness and loneliness the sadness. Lovin MC

• splisken

★★★★ Added by splisken

its death wish, but set in a London housing estate and staring michael caine.

sean harris steals the film as a strung out drug/gun dealer who doesn't properly clean his weapon.

jack o Connell is great as an abused junkie and plan b (whatever his real name is?) shows he can act better than he can sing.

dark, gritty, violent and one of caines best films.

• Håkan Hellgren

★★ Watched by Håkan Hellgren 07 Mar, 2015

It might be that I'm not wired for revenge flicks, but I'm extra tired of the "Old(er) man exacts revenge" sub-genre. Especially when it's done as cynically as in Harry Brown.

• Emmanuel Báez

★★★½ Watched by Emmanuel Báez 28 Feb, 2015

Michael Caine apenas puede correr, pero lo necesitamos en más propuestas de esta clase mientras pueda, aunque es muy probable que esta sea una de las pocas que le quedan. No quedé enteramente cautivado por esta historia por falta de contexto y sus clichés policiales, pero Caine pateando algunos traseros es algo que difícilmente disguste.

• Kevin

★★★★ Rewatched by Kevin 06 Mar, 2015

'You failed to maintain your weapon son'.

• Patrick Mullen

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Mullen 26 Feb, 2015

While it's not his last film and he'll quite possibly still continue to make good movies, this is Michael Caine's swan song. In a powerful revenge film, a genre which he elevated over forty years ago with films like Get Carter, he has done it once again.

He's so incredible in this film. I like comparing this to something with Liam Neeson, who seems to have a new revenge film out every week. This film shows Caine's Harry Brown as…

• Panta Oz

★★★½ Added by Panta Oz

I like this British vigilante thriller directed by Daniel Barber and starring Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Jack O'Connell, and Liam Cunningham.

The story is straight forward - Harry Brown, a widowed Royal Marines veteran, who had served in Northern Ireland during The Troubles, living on a London housing estate that is rapidly descending into youth crime decides to fight fire with fire after a friend is murdered.

I know that everyone compares this to Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino" but it's…

• Brian Hann

★★★★½ Added by Brian Hann

Great film showing how you shouldn't mess with the OAP. Michael Caine is effectively an older Jack Carter from Get Carter. Excellent

• Oliver Paa

★★★★ Watched by Oliver Paa 16 Feb, 2015

Set in a dark and gritty environment this is a well acted and directed revenge thriller. The various actors especially deserve credit for making the movie and setting work. Very gloomy, very good and a nice exception to the myriads of mediocre revenge movies out there.

Don't mess with Harry Brown.