• Ross Birks

★★★★ Watched by Ross Birks 16 Oct, 2014

Michael Caine is one of my favourite actors so I wonder why it's taken me so long to watch Harry Brown. I think it was released here in the UK around the same time as Gran Torino and this one just got put to the back of the deck in the shuffle. I'm not a big fan of British "thug" movies either so whether Michael Caine was wiping them out or not, it just didn't peak my interest as much…

• Michael "PhantomKnight" Dennos

★★★½ Watched by Michael "PhantomKnight" Dennos 07 Oct, 2014 2

The one thing I took away from this movie is that Michael Caine can be a real badass if given the opportunity. Harry Brown is in the tradition of movies featuring characters going on violent revenge crusades by themselves, and for the most part, it's one of the better ones. Like most British thrillers, it spends the first hour steadily establishing the circumstances and the motivation for Harry to start killing these neighborhood thugs, and I appreciated that because it…

• Sven Rump

★★★ Watched by Sven Rump 05 Oct, 2014

Michael Caine does an elderly Charles Bronson in and as Harry Brown.

In a setting - even more grimy and inhospitable than the one in Bronson's revenge classic Death Wish - we meet Harry (Caine) whose best friend Len (David Bradley) is tired of the harassment the neighbourhood suffers at the hands of local thugs. When his friend ends up dying a violent death the calm elder gentleman reaches a boiling point and takes matters into his own hands when…

• MrPootytang

★★★★½ Added by MrPootytang

While Batman is covering for Gotham, Alfred is killing some bloody goons in her majesties empire.

• MatthewLB

★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 07 Sep, 2014

Harry is one pissed off old man.

• Russell Dean

★★★★ Watched by Russell Dean 06 Sep, 2014

Not a cheery Saturday afternoon watch.

This film takes the exploitation favourite, the revenge movie and mixes it with British kitchen sink drama.

It is relentlessly bleak, showing inner city life in England at its worst. While grim and depressing, it is incredibly well acted and paced, it never drags and reaches it's brutal conclusion before you've caught your breath.

It's a really good film, but it is unlikely to be one I'll go back to as it is so bleak.

• Mandalorian

★★★½ Added by Mandalorian

Michael Caine kicks ass in this movie. No question about it. He always brings his A+ game, and it's apparent. Imagine Taken without that plague of a pg-13 rating. Except this movie veered off into too deep of a moral message in the last twenty minutes or so. Also, the bad guys in this movie were actually worth the talent of the man pursuing them. Also it does start off slow, but I enjoyed the pace. Movies that stay on…

• Michael

★★★★½ Watched by Michael 18 Jun, 2010

Brutal vengeance tale with heart set in the distopian present. This really shows why vengeance is not a young person's game; it requires patience and maturity.

• Sophia Yazbeck

★★★ Watched by Sophia Yazbeck 09 Aug, 2014

hly sheg

• cronic

★★★★ Added by cronic

8/10

• Anders Nilsson

Added by Anders Nilsson

Michael Caine är Harry Brown, en grånad f.d. marinsoldat som för att hämnas sin mördade vän städar upp bland Londonförortens ungdomsgäng och kriminella patrask. Filmen anses tillhöra den brittiska hoodie horror-genren som kapitaliserar på medelklassens kollektiva skräck för meningslöst gatuvåld, vars verklighetsförankring fick ytterligare en dimension i och med upploppen “London Riots” 2011. Välgjort, välspelat och träffsäkert realistiskt.

• Dan Schindel