• jitterykangaroo

★★★★ Watched by jitterykangaroo 01 May, 2016

I can't remember the first time I saw this but it's surprisingly successful considering there's a great kid actor and Joseph Gordon Levitt actually delivers a decent performance as well.

• C.R. Blazo

★½ Watched by C.R. Blazo 30 Apr, 2016

Eh. Didn't really care for it. I thought that I'd really like this film. Especially being a Joseph-Gordon Levitt fan. The movie just didn't offer a lot to land my interest. I also didn't think it was that funny. Yeah. There were some funny moments, especially the funeral, but overall it was mundane.

• Randy

★★★ Watched by Randy 08 Apr, 2016

Hesher is kind of a mysterious film. The logo referring to the band Metallica made me think that this would be a movie for me. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit but its got a lot of issues and its too bad because there is a lot of potential.

The cast has quite a few recognisable names in Rain Wilson, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Natalie Portman (who played a supporting role but she also produced the film). Even with…

• CartoonSA

★★ Rewatched by CartoonSA 06 Apr, 2016

Didn't improve on a rewatch.

• HalfPint

★★★★ Rewatched by HalfPint 01 Apr, 2016

Hands down the best visited-by-an-angel film. If ever I need such an encounter, let it be someone like Hesher. Not sure if this was billed as a comedy but it had me laughing more than a few times. No wonder it's one of JGL's favorite roles.

• Bavarian

★★½ Watched by Bavarian 31 Mar, 2016

Ein stellenweise recht unterhaltsamer Film - zumindest überdurchschnitlich - aber kein großer Wurf in meinen Augen. Das Drehbuch erschien mir hier und da recht grob und oberflächlich, was zu einigen konstruiert wirkenden Momenten und auch Längen führte. Zwar machte es mir durchaus Spaß, wie der Streifen diese Schüler/Mentor-Beziehung schön absurd interpretiert und ein im Kern typisches Familiendrama irrwitzig ausschmückt - verlässt sich dabei aber womöglich zu sehr auf diese spezielle Ausrichtung. Ein Indie-Drama darf dann schon etwas nuancierter zu Werke…

• Adrian Alvaro

★★★★½ Added by Adrian Alvaro

Joseph, fuck me!
    Hesher es como Mary Poppins... del siglo XXI, no podría decir otra cosa, una de mis películas favoritas.
    Pd: Esos tatuajes me tienen loco.

• oolalaa

★★★ Watched by oolalaa 25 Mar, 2016

17/30

• GKnight

★★★★ Added by GKnight

A dark yet quirky comedy-drama. Despite some flaws in the script, the story works thanks to the great performances (though I'm not sure what Natalie Portman is doing here).

• JOJsmuggler

★★★ Watched by JOJsmuggler 07 Mar, 2016

When Hesher works, it really does. It's funny, it's dark, it's different. However, the entire movie suffers from a big, BIG issue. That issue is tone. Specifically tone from scene to scene. While most of the comedic parts work, the parts that are one hundred percent dramatic doesn't. This is what plagues the last third of the film and just makes the entire thing an uninteresting drag.

The entire thing is worth it for the performance of Joseph Gordin-Levitt though. This might be the best of his entire career so far.

Overall, a decent enough comedy that could've been much more.

• Timothy E. RAW

★★★½ Rewatched by Timothy E. RAW 14 Feb, 2016

Unapologetically harsh, morbidly magnetic & easily JGL's best. Sundance formula self-destructing.

Any film in which a character suddenly appears to some clipped riffs from Metallica's 'The Shortest Straw' and essentially uses their 'Kill 'em All' album as a soundtrack emblematic of a lifestyle, is a winner in my book.

Also, is this the last film where Natalie Portman was any good? It's easy to sneer at her ugly duckling granny glasses, but only realised on this re-watch, how great she is in the film.

• Joshua Alissy

★★★★★ Watched by Joshua Alissy 02 Feb, 2016

One of the most unconventionally beautiful things I've ever seen.