• JulieC

★★★½ Watched by JulieC 28 Jul, 2014

Mrs. Rosowski: Life is like walking in the rain... you can hide and take cover or you can just get wet.

• Dan

★★★★ Watched by Dan 24 Jul, 2014

Hesher: You lost your wife. And you lost your mom. I lost my nut.

• Jesler van der Meer

★★★½ Watched by Jesler van der Meer 11 Jul, 2014

I think Gordon-Levitt is amazing. Stunning performance.
    And Natalie Portman just completes it.

Dark, rough, but with a point.

• Barnaby Walter

★★★ Watched by Barnaby Walter 31 Jan, 2012

Despite some buzz pre-release and an impressive cast, Spencer Susser’s odd but curiously sweet film Hesher skips a theatrical outing in the UK and heads straight to DVD. It’s not a brilliant film, but it’s miles better than much of the drivel that frequently crowds the shelves of HMV and Tesco. Maybe it will pick up a cult following due to the legions of Joseph Gordon-Levitt fans out there. The movie focuses on a troubling period in the life of…

• Nathan guy

★★★ Watched by Nathan guy 19 Jun, 2014

I love Natalie Portman, enough said.

• TajLV

★★½ Added by TajLV

This makes some kind of weird sense. In a world where MMA is consider a “sport” and foul-mouthed hip-hop is considered “music” and violent interactive games are “fun,” why shouldn’t uncontrolled anarchist rage be considered “humor,” right? Well, I guess there were a few giggles along the way, such as seeing Piper Laurie smoking a bong and Natalie Portman put up her dukes to take on a punk bully. At least I learned a new term watching this … “aggro comedy” … but the central theme was still how to deal with grief. Good production value for an Indie, just not my cuppa.

• sandrocorvetto

★★★ Watched by sandrocorvetto 12 May, 2014

people coming to terms with a personal lost is not by any means something new on film, and its treatment in indie films has become repetitive to the point of being mockable specially in coming of age stories. Some one is managing there pain in a weird and not very healthy way and an unlikely father figure or mentor helps them move on.

Hesher fits this very well, and thats not good at all, mostly because most of the characters…

• Josh Mockensturm

★★½ Watched by Josh Mockensturm 10 May, 2014

Film #14 of the ABCs of Film challenge

• Sophie.

★★½ Added by Sophie.

Considering I love Natalie Portman and Joseph Gordon Levitt more that I love most people I actually know in real life, I expected so much more.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 04 Aug, 2011

JGL is great, playing mostly against type, and I loved the film's (almost) complete lack of sentimentality or typical melodrama, but it never really seems to go anywhere or do anything with its concept. It's got some great, brilliant moments of dark comedy, but in service of what? The film doesn't seem to know either.

Still, you could do worse.

• Kip Bowman Jr.

★★½ Watched by Kip Bowman Jr. 11 Apr, 2014

I had owned this DVD for a few years that I bought used at my local video store. After taking me so long to watch the movie I think i know why i put it off for so long.

I mean it wasn't bad. It just felt it was there to say and do weird outlandish stuff. Don't get me wrong all the actors were good in the roles. Joseph Gordon Levitt, Natalie Portman and the kid were good. I…

• Unklerupert

★★★½ Added by Unklerupert

Just looking at my right nut, appreciating my right nut.