• Locke

★★★★★ Rewatched by Locke 19 Nov, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

While an admittedly bizarre concept, spending several million to convincingly emulate the look and feel of near fifty year old movies made for peanuts, the results are undeniable, this is one hell of a ride. Most of the I suppose “exploitation revival” has been kinda rubbish – and not in the fun way, just in the regular kind of rubbish – but Hobo With a Shotgun stood out from the rest, mostly thanks to Rutger Hauer. Not just in that…

★★★ Watched by DANIEL HUNTLEY 15 Nov, 2015

Run With Us (aka The Raccoons theme) by Lisa Lougheed during the credits

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• Gavin Rye

★★★★ Watched by Gavin Rye 04 Nov, 2015

Watched with commentary.

A good listen. There are a few silences here and there but Hauer and Eisener are a fun pair to listen to. They obviously like eachother and that comes across in the track.

• magicmercer

Watched by magicmercer 02 Nov, 2015

Well that was a disappointment. This tries so hard to capture what other grindhouse films display so easily. It looked nice and gritty and had some good gore but overall it bored me, shame because I really wanted to love this film.

• A. Glass

★★ Watched by A. Glass 31 Oct, 2015

It's pretty terrible that to a lot of filmgoers, the term "grindhouse" is now synonymous with Robert fucking Rodriguez and his ilk. Every film is an ode to some bygone genre.

This one is what? An ode to Lloyd Kaufman? Lloyd Kaufman and Troma are still releasing movies. Hobo with a Shotgun is like a Troma movie with a substantial budget and no charm. The premise is grating enough. A hobo has had enough of society's evils and starts taking…

• robosllim

★★★★ Added by robosllim

Scariness/creepiness: 1/5
    Effects: 4/5
    Atmosphere: 3/5
    Originality: 4/5

I put this one off way too long. The exploitation sub-genre is one I haven't explored much, so I don't have much to compare this to, but suffice to say I was laughing the whole time. It might be time to explore similar movies.

• bulletproofQpid

★★ Rewatched by bulletproofQpid 19 Oct, 2015

It tries so hard, but there's not a lot to like about other than Rutger Hauer and Molly Dunsworth. Every other character is such a ridiculously grandiose bag of shit that it's a bit nauseating.

• yellow_sub66

Watched by yellow_sub66 30 Sep, 2015

Hobo with a Shotgun fails at being anything better than a simple homage to 80's exploitation flicks, which weirdly is a rather overdone and unoriginal genre.

It's hard to complain about things like the shocking acting (except Hauer), gratuitous violence and dumb plot and dialogue because it was probably exactly what they were going for.

The film did step over the line at times and became something it didn't have to be by trying too hard to be ultra edgy…

• Ed Küpfer

★½ Watched by Ed Küpfer 22 Sep, 2015

Enjoyment: 3/10
    Quality: 5/10

I hate irony and nostalgia. Hobo is one or the other or both, but it's not the movie's fault I didn't like it more.

• Voina

★★★ Added by Voina

Some cult movie goodness full of hilarious and ridiculous situations as a Hobo brings justice to the exploited and victimized citizens of a city. His method if one could not ascertain it from the title is from the barrel of his shotgun. Very enjoyable but B quality without a doubt.

• Greg Sahadachny

★½ Watched by Greg Sahadachny 06 Sep, 2015 2

love hauer, he's a gem of an actor. but this movie is a pile of mean-spirited, "edgy" dogshit. terrible writing. hate the aesthetics. hate whatever filter of influences Eisener is cribbing. the movie *looks* good, but has little else worth seeing.