• Ernst_Bitterman

★½ Watched by Ernst_Bitterman 02 Feb, 2005

The end result is what one would expect from a well-funded fan film, when what he's a fan of is the mean-spirited drive-in fillers of the early 1970s; over-long, and with the directoral sympathy too much on the side of the monstrous loonies. The sense of "This isn't over YET" struck me at about the half-hour mark.

• Amy Holmes

Watched by Amy Holmes 15 May, 2015

I know this is supposed to be kind of a new classic, but I couldn't get into it. I loved The Lords of Salem, it was so stylized and unusual and freaky and funny, but this one felt stagnant and the jokes fell flat. I stopped watched just over half way through. If the second half gets a lot better, I suppose I missed out.

• Justin Scott

★★★★½ Added by Justin Scott

Rob Zombie is one of my favorite people making movies right now

• Robert Armitage

★★½ Watched by Robert Armitage 14 May, 2015

The film starts out with the standard double couple road trip and a stop at Captain Spaulding's Museum of Madmen and Murderers/Gas Station. Captain Spaulding is Sid Haig in clownface and watching his eye bulging performance was the highlight of the film for me. The travelling couple's go on the museum tour/ride with animatronic diorama's of such luminaries as Ed Gein and local favorite Dr. Satan. The unlucky couples never really get off the ride, as the rest of the…

• Joel Clark

★★★ Rewatched by Joel Clark 14 May, 2015

This is a mystery to me! Saw it once so long ago that it all comes across as new to me now. And this isn't a bad movie! It's certainly not great. Certainly not bad either. But I guess to sum it up in a sentence... or phrase. It's an acquired taste.

For me the movie comes off as unsubstantial in terms of story. It's clearly based on Spider Baby, with HEAVY inspiration in bite size chunks taken from the…

• ComicSolution54

★★★★½ Watched by ComicSolution54 11 May, 2015

To quote fellow letterboxd user, AuthenticAustin, "I fucking love this movie." I really like the clown character from the gas station/haunted house place. I don't think I'm not sure if I would want to eat his chicken, though. Also, I loved the scene where they played "Brick House." If they incorporated the character from the gas station into more parts of the film, I would have rated it even higher. Also, the special effects were very poor. It is quite…

• Chris Ward

★★★½ Rewatched by Chris Ward 10 May, 2015

I love the visuals and the first half of Rob Zombie's debut feature is terrific grindhouse fun but once Dr. Satan is introduced the film becomes messy and uninteresting. Although Zombie gets a lot of shit for his films I am a fan and although this is probably my least favourite of his movies I still get enough of what I like about him from it.

• nicksav

Added by nicksav

Dull, dull, dull. Not very good.

• Sean M

★★★ Watched by Sean M 05 May, 2015

This was so much different then I remember. I really enjoy this movie, a lot. However you can see where Rob Zombie has sort of polished his film making. Random clips and a lot of music sort of take away from this movie. He went back to this very strange style in Lords of Salem but I hated that, at least this had a great story. Overall a great movie that I think would have been so much better if done again by Rob Zombie. Glad to re-watch it and still very fun, flaws and all.

• Travis Wagner

★½ Watched by Travis Wagner 04 May, 2015

I was going to give this film the benefit of the doubt, but then Zombie put that damn question mark at the end of the film, at which point I yelled many expletives at my screen.

• TheJamesTaylor

★★★★ Added by TheJamesTaylor

One of the top debuts of any filmmaker.

•  Justin Purwitsky

★★★½ Rewatched by Justin Purwitsky 01 May, 2015

Back in 2003 I went to see this movie in the theatre. As a huge fan of horror films, and having no one to go with, I went by myself. I had heard great things about it and was very excited. I hated it. I had thought it sucked and was one of the worst horror films I had seen in the theatre.

I just rewatched it and my opinion has changed. It wasn't that bad at all. It's still…