• ToastandFlix

★★★ Rewatched by ToastandFlix 04 Oct, 2015 1

I haven't seen this since my first viewing 12 years ago. I was haunted by this movie all through the years, which is why I never brought myself to watching it again until now. I dig Rob Zombie's style and his no-holds-barred approach, his "Tarantino-esque" banter when nothing's happening, and way out there scares. My second time viewing I noticed the bad acting a little more, and was more than annoyed with some characters (who would ever date Rain Wilson's…

• Smilesley

★★★★ Rewatched by Smilesley 03 Oct, 2015

One of the few movies out there where evil wins.

• Greg Sahadachny

★★★ Watched by Greg Sahadachny 03 Oct, 2015 1

wearing its genre influences on its sleeve, Zombie proceeds to be the trash cinema Oliver Stone.

• Joe Kucukdurgut

★★★★ Rewatched by Joe Kucukdurgut 03 Oct, 2015

A lot of Rob Zombies artistic work seems to be the kind of thing people either fucking love or fucking hate. I happen to fucking love most of his endeavours and this is no exception. This movie isn't exactly bustling in the substance department but it definitely works as a gigantic visceral extravaganza of horror and gothic imagery. It has many of the quality's and vibez that his music videos and music do.

I personally really fucking enjoy myself watching…

• Kiko Vega

★★★★ Rewatched by Kiko Vega 02 Oct, 2015 1

Un concentrado de horrores que puede pecar de sobredosis de edición, pero que evoluciona el género y abre nuevos caminos. Es posible que sin esta peli no existieran West, Wingard y compañía.

• TheBodhisattva

★★★★★ Added by TheBodhisattva

• deadlyrivers

★★ Rewatched by deadlyrivers 01 Oct, 2015

31 Days of Horror, day one
    If a 14 year-old boy watched Natural Born Killers and every Tarantino film and decided to make a horror film, it would probably look something like this. It has potential - a fun concept and some striking character designs - but it's all too much. It's unnecessarily over-stylised, there are no likable characters (the film clearly sides with the 'villains'), and Rob Zombie's dialogue is trying far too hard, with every other word being 'fuck'. A few good moments here and there,but a missed opportunity.

• Sam Doyle

Watched by Sam Doyle 27 Sep, 2015

Film #2 of the 2015 Scavenger Hunt of the Dead Challenge!
    Task #20: A movie featuring a creepy clown (or clowns)
    My Scavenger Hunt Of The Dead
    House of 1000 Corpses is one of the worst horror films I've ever seen. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The only highlight is the Captain Spaulding character, who is pretty funny, but other than that it's just a collection of flashing inverted images and scenes stolen from classic horrors. I think Rob Zombie should stick to music because he can't write a film script to save his life.

• alphonse

★★½ Watched by alphonse 25 Sep, 2015

Part of Hoop Tober

House of 1000 Corpses has a lot of things I always look forward to see in a film: it is a homage-filled exploitation movie with many pop culture references that spice the dialogue, there is enough gore, it is exciting and never loses its interest (even though the final act is a truly shameful disappointment), it has a fascinating oldschool appeal and there's a great passion behind the camera, it doesn't take itself too seriously (allowing…

• Andrew

★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew 17 Sep, 2015

This movie is a big old bag of fun. It's nasty, violent, somewhat gory, artsie, funny, and tacky all rolled into one. Nothing too original here, but it gets the job done. A really great entry by Zombie that set up for the even better sequel(in my opinion).

• KennJonson

★½ Watched by KennJonson 20 Sep, 2015

Local TV horror show hosts, haunted house tours around Halloween, urban legend houses of sadism, cliched horror movie characters. There's not one above Rob Zombie's first film doesn't touch on. Over the top play acting and make-up effects that are all brightly lit and cut like a music video make this neither creepy nor scary, just tedious. 32 of 100

• A

★★★ Watched by A 20 Sep, 2015

There's a lot of good ideas here but they're undermined by some very odd stylistic choices, namely montages of stretched-to-16:9 SD DV footage+scenes from old horror films+35mm processed to look "bad" with colours reversed, and some snuff films Zombie probably got from LimeWire; basically him sticking a bunch of stuff he finds cool in the middle of scenes. That could probably, however, be used to better effect, and it's after all a directorial debut. I hear The Devil's Rejects is a lot better so I'm looking forward to that.