• Joshua Schirmer

★★ Watched by Joshua Schirmer 13 Apr, 2014

House of 1000 Corpses, the debut film by Rob Zombie, is the closest thing to a county-fair haunted mansion that's ever existed. It relies on the power of jump scares to make you first gasp, then giggle. Its narrative is constructed piecemeal in a series of disconnected scenes that relate only insofar as they all subscribe to the "backwoods-family-of-torture-cannibals" premise. More than anything, though, it works as a tribute to sideshows and carnival rides in that it's just not very…

• cineedo
  • Mike Thorn

★★★★★ Added by Mike Thorn

When I first watched this film, I had mixed feelings about it. What I now recognize as homage, I initially interpreted as derivative hackwork. I admired it very much upon a second viewing. Zombie is an inventive, strategic practitioner of pastiche style, leaping recklessly from exploitation to serious criticism (often during the course of a single scene). This might be the most experimental horror film in recent American cinema. It's an abrasive, kaleidoscopic rearrangement of generic tropes. Vibrant, depraved, and gutsy filmmaking.

• Adam Redman

Watched by Adam Redman 29 Mar, 2014

While it possesses more visual distinctiveness than the mostly terrible films of the 70s and 80s it pays homage to, and I think the bad acting and staginess is supposed to be part of its appeal, it's still mostly annoying when it thinks it's trying to be edgy.

• Ryan S

★★★ Rewatched by Ryan S 29 Mar, 2014

Not a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination. It definitely needs to be viewed in a similar fashion to how you view Fulci's work (i.e a liberal dose of "nightmare" logic applies). It's also a very visual film and a music videoesque homage to Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 and 2. I quite like the intercuts of the talking heads with the firefly family, split screen, video filming, night vision filtering etc. I don't like the music choices on…

• Brandon

★★★ Watched by Brandon 25 Mar, 2014

Occasionally comes across as too directionless or messy, but House of 1000 Corpses accurately foreshadows the excessive gore and incredible use of atmosphere to come in Rob Zombie's work.

• Ashley Norris

½ Watched by Ashley Norris 13 Mar, 2014

One of the worst films I've unfortunately ever seen. It is not scary, it is just terrible. I love that Rob Zombie has a passion for horror films, I really do, good on him but he simply cannot direct a film because of his love and passion. His main problem is the writing of characters. Not every single character in every single film has to be overtly sexual and talk in the exact same manner. No one is different. This…

• Daph Bajas

★½ Rewatched by Daph Bajas 17 Mar, 2014 3

Zombie's debut may actually be a comedy stretching out its punchline thin, in grand grotesque masquerade. More head-scratching than scary, I would've liked it as a silent film. C-

• Warren

★★ Watched by Warren 16 Mar, 2014

This movie gets a little better each time I watch it. Which is good, because I hated it the first time I saw it. The second time I thought it was only okay. This time, I can appreciate some of the original material that Rob Zombie brought to a directorial debut that was otherwise rife with obvious (and poor) homage. The Devils Rejects shines over this movie to such an extent it's absurd. I hope he makes something as good as The Devil's Rejects again some day... maybe one of the non-horror movies he has planned for the near future will be it.

• Peter Cox

★★ Watched by Peter Cox 28 Feb, 2014

Having been impressed with the atmospheric menace of The Lords Of Salem, I've decided to investigate Rob Zombie's previous work. As an insatiable horror and grindhouse viewer, the prospect of House Of 1000 Corpses seemed rosy; like something I ought to have seen already anyway. There's even the legendary Sid Haig... So why did this fall so flat for me?

Horror references are fun, but this movie feels incomplete, like a jigsaw put together wholly from the pieces of other puzzles. I'm not entirely sure what the picture is supposed to be. Too often this simply felt like an indulgence for all involved.

• Alejandra Orihuela

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alejandra Orihuela 22 Feb, 2014

Zombie is in love with horror films. This is House of 1000 Corpses' is the reason why. The most obvious influence, as everyone well knows, is Tobe Hooper’s The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it’s quite fun to spot just how many references Zombie could sew into the script of this one film. They are many, but the movie’s damning critics have no doubt dwelt on these references to such an extent that I need not regurgitate them here. House of…

• An Angry Bear

★½ Watched by An Angry Bear 17 Feb, 2014

Rob Zombie is like a horror movie junkie was given a huge budget and told to go crazy. This is not a good thing.